Would you do your roof in this weather?

Old 12-03-2009, 10:27 AM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Would you do your roof in this weather?

We've been looking to get our roof re-done, and it's sort of late in the season, but we figure if it's not too late we might get it done before winter hits. I've posted the weather for next week below. Under these conditions, would you have a roof installed? I understand you need a couple days of sunny and warm weather, but looks like sunny and cold might be the best we could do.

Next week is looking like this:

Wed: AM Clouds/PM Sun 29
Thurs: Partly cloudy 32
Fri: Mostly cloud 38
Sat: AM Clouds/PM Sun 37
Old 12-03-2009, 11:28 AM
is learning to moonwalk i

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
It really depends on a few things:

1. What kind of roof?
2. How much of the existing roof needs to be taken off (i.e. any plywood being replaced)?
3. How long will it take?
4. Will you be living in the house while they do it?
5. Is there a need to do it now because of known leaks/issues?

Personally, if there wasn't an immediate need I'd put it off until late spring (or whenever it starts getting warm and dry). The whole house will be cold as hell, especially at night, even if there's no rain/snow. If it gets cold enough, you might even have some pipes burst from freezing.
Old 12-03-2009, 12:45 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by moeronn
It really depends on a few things:

1. What kind of roof?
2. How much of the existing roof needs to be taken off (i.e. any plywood being replaced)?
3. How long will it take?
4. Will you be living in the house while they do it?
5. Is there a need to do it now because of known leaks/issues?

Personally, if there wasn't an immediate need I'd put it off until late spring (or whenever it starts getting warm and dry). The whole house will be cold as hell, especially at night, even if there's no rain/snow. If it gets cold enough, you might even have some pipes burst from freezing.
Thanks for the input.

To answer your questions. 3 tab shingle roof going to architectural. The whole roof. Big roof. Will take about 3 days. 1 layer on there now, but it's 20 years old, so ripping off and putting new layer on.

No known leaks, but the roof looks terrible. Every roofer has asked where are the leaks and been surprised there haven't been any. Would prefer to get it done before winter just in case, but dont HAVE to.
Old 12-03-2009, 02:00 PM
Instructor

The one upside might be that roofers can be kind of desperate for work right now. Roofing season, i believe, has ended so any roofer woulld want some work. Call some roofers and see what they think. Then make decision.
Old 12-04-2009, 11:12 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,090 Likes on 767 Posts
if there is only a single layer on the roof... why not just lay a new layer on top... i usually see three layers of shingles before ripping it all off and replacing...
Old 12-04-2009, 12:51 PM

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts
I would not do it once it gets cold and uncomfortable. Forget about the roof itself, materials, layers, blahblahblah --- I'm talking about actually trusting people to do a good job when they're freezing and want to get done and out of the cold as quickly as possible. IMO, do it during good weather only with better chances of workers not cutting corners to get done quickly.
Old 12-04-2009, 03:38 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by KaMLuNg
if there is only a single layer on the roof... why not just lay a new layer on top... i usually see three layers of shingles before ripping it all off and replacing...
The single layer is about 18 years old...so it's pretty beat up, missing shingles, curled, etc. A new layer of shingles wouldn't sit right on top of the old battered shingles, so it's been recommended by everyone we've talked to to just start fresh.

Thanks for the input guys.

Now for the roofers...GAF/Timerbline or IKO. I keep hearing IKO is the heaviest now and that's important, but then I also hear that weight isn't everything and that GAF/Timerbline is currently the best product out there. Looking at 30 year architectural/laminate shingles.