Wiring house (RG6 & RJ45)

Old 11-22-2005, 02:36 PM
Old fart

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Wiring house (RG6 & RJ45)

So I bought a house about a month ago... The previous owner had cable to each room on the 2nd floor (3) and one in the basement. And he's got ethernet to two of the rooms upstairs and to the basement. I decided to figure out which cable from the basement goes to which room...

The guy had cable from the outside to a 3 way splitter... from the 3 way splitter, he had one to the cable modem, one to I still have no idea where and the other to a 4 way splitter. From the 4 way splitter, one goes to the master bedroom, where it's split again to both cable jacks in the bedroom And another from the 4-way splitter to a 2-way splitter for the other two bedrooms. I just got cable before lunch today so I'm going to check to see how weak the tv signal is to those rooms...

Ethernet was run to two of the rooms upstairs and to the basement. As I was checking out the wiring to one of the bedrooms, I found that the guy spliced the ethernet cable and reconnected it to another piece...sitting right next to one of the 2-way cable splitters

So long story short, since the basement is finished and does NOT have a drop ceiling...is it safe to pull RG6 wiring through the air return ducts? Or do I need special rated stuff like Plenum RJ-45?

I'm kinda also thinking about using some combo cables, but have no idea if they are safe for pulling through air return ducts: http://www.impactacoustics.com/produ...=201&sku=43077

Any suggestions, ideas are very welcome
Old 11-22-2005, 02:43 PM

Received 162 Likes on 134 Posts
Sounds like this guy was a professional huh I have some stuff pulled through ducts, I never really figured it would be a big deal
Old 11-22-2005, 05:50 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just wait till somebody buys my house . I had the installer confused as hell and had to draw him a number of pictures about how I wanted it to work.

he swore it wouldn't work .... but it works exactly as it is supposed to. I feel bad for the guy who has to figure it out later ....
Old 11-22-2005, 06:04 PM
dɐɹɔ ǝɥʇ ʇɐɥʍ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd bet it was a "trained" installer who f'ed everything up. The tech's that come to install cable, internet, etc... are typically one generation from knuckle dragging and do the quickest, EASIEST thing they can to get in and out. Most people don't know any better and could care less. I've made it a habit of tipping these people, you'd be amazed at what a 5 or 10 spot will do for your install and level of service you get.

...or the guy who lived there before you is a fucktard who spends to much time at ratshack.
Old 11-22-2005, 07:53 PM
Pre-Registered Member

Received 246 Likes on 150 Posts
I am about to enjoy wiring my house for network and phones. I have a crawl space, so I will just drill up through the sill plate into the outside wall, then put combo phone/network plugs in the wall.
Old 11-22-2005, 10:05 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Scottman111
Sounds like this guy was a professional huh I have some stuff pulled through ducts, I never really figured it would be a big deal
Yeah until there's a fire. You're supposed to use plenum rated cable because when it burns, it won't emit toxic gas like burning PVC will.
Old 11-23-2005, 12:57 AM

Received 162 Likes on 134 Posts
^ yeah I know, but it's running through about 4 feet of duct work so I'm not worried
Old 11-23-2005, 09:17 AM
Old fart

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
are there plenum rated coax? Or do I just have to find other means of pulling my cable lines?

I think the guy did it himself cause the cable company wouldn't even help my friend fish wire through his house...and he doesn't even have a finished basement...
Old 11-23-2005, 10:11 AM
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by mt6forlife
Yeah until there's a fire. You're supposed to use plenum rated cable because when it burns, it won't emit toxic gas like burning PVC will.
Is it a hot air duct or the cold air return? It is oaky to run through the return because the cable will not be heated and is standard practice when running wire to a TV on an interior wall where the ceiling below and above is finished. Otherwise the only options are cutting into the drywall to fish the lines or hanging to wire on the exterior of the house.
Old 11-23-2005, 10:12 AM
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Tireguy
I'd bet it was a "trained" installer who f'ed everything up. The tech's that come to install cable, internet, etc... are typically one generation from knuckle dragging and do the quickest, EASIEST thing they can to get in and out. Most people don't know any better and could care less. I've made it a habit of tipping these people, you'd be amazed at what a 5 or 10 spot will do for your install and level of service you get.

...or the guy who lived there before you is a fucktard who spends to much time at ratshack.
No doubt - these guys get paid per the job not per hour so they hurry through the job as fast as they can. As long as you have a picture or internet connection they are gone.