What do to

Old 12-12-2014, 02:44 PM
Cruisin'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
What do to

Hi All,

Scenario - Took my car(not the TLX) to dealer (It's a lease) for a normal service. Get it home and find out a couple days later that it has been leaking oil all over my newly built concrete driveway and garage. I take it back to the dealer and they find out that that 'O' ring was defective. I show pictures of the driveway to the service manager, and let him know I just built this house 10 months ago. He has a guy come out and power wash, makes no difference.. He comes out himself with some cleaner and scrubs away. It looks slightly better, but still not great. Now what?? Do I tell him it needs to be replaced?

What you all do in this situation?

Appreciate the feedback

Jmo
Old 12-12-2014, 03:00 PM
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts
I deal with contractors on a regular basis and when they screw up and it's obviously their fault my choice is always whether to continue my relationship with them (forgive or compromise) or terminate the relationship (settle the score even and never use them again).

If you feel they're good (and it seems they are) you might want to give them a break and get some free service vouchers and whatnots. Since your car is a lease you'll probably endup giving them away as gifts or something but at least you're getting something.

If the stain is going to be daily sore however (seriously there's no application for this?) I would tell them to pickup the tab on fixing the concrete. If you go for the latter do bring them into the process such as having the contractor explain the cost just so you don't seem like you're trying to profit from them.

I generally try to maintain a good business relationship because I too make honest mistakes at times but more than that it saves me money in the long run.

Last edited by baelim; 12-12-2014 at 03:08 PM.
Old 12-12-2014, 03:45 PM
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
I've heard this stuff does an amazing job on cleaning a LOT of various things -- including concrete. Give it a shot if you haven't already:

ZEP 128 oz. Citrus Heavy-Duty Degreaser-ZUCIT128 - The Home Depot

And then there's also: Seal-Krete 64-oz. Oil Stain Remover-141064 - The Home Depot

In my experience, the sooner you get to work cleaning a concrete surface the better off you are. Once it "sets", it becomes harder and harder to clean.
Old 12-12-2014, 10:36 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,102 Likes on 763 Posts
Originally Posted by jmobley
Get it home and find out a couple days later that it has been leaking oil all over my newly built concrete driveway and garage...
He has a guy come out and power wash, makes no difference.. He comes out himself with some cleaner and scrubs away.
Well, the service rep seems to be going over and above, but maybe with the wrong cleaning product.

Is your concrete sealed?

Try a concrete cleaner which sits on the stain(s) and absorbs them over a day-- sorta like kitty litter. I can't remember the brand I used, but it cleaned out some auto trans fluid and old oil stains pretty well after a couple of applications and sweeps.
The following users liked this post:
jmobley (12-13-2014)
Old 12-13-2014, 07:52 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,137 Posts
How to clean concrete before sealing
To extract oil from concrete you need to wipe the area with a rag after applying Turpentine or a similar solvent to remove most of the surface material. Then cover the area with an absorbent product such as is used in cat baskets to absorb waste and apply more Turpentine to wet it. Cover with plastic sheet and allow it to work overnight. The oils will be diluted and as the solvent evaporates it will be trapped in the absorbent. Very bad areas may need two treatments.

Oil stains including those treated with the solvent can often be removed with simple laundry detergent powder and water, however the older stains will contain dirt which may be impossible to remove completely. Wet the surface and sprinkle with the detergent, rub it in with a broom making a wet paste and leave it for 30 minutes if possible wetting is slightly during this time if it appears to be drying out. When rinsed the stain should have vanished or be mostly gone, but it will return within 12 hrs in hot weather as the oil comes back up to the surface again.