Think I'm buying a Garden Tractor tomorrow

Old 02-07-2006, 08:25 PM
Aaaarrrggghhhh!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Think I'm buying a Garden Tractor tomorrow

Yeah, I know it's still February, but they have a John Deere G110 leftover at my local Home Depot for around $1,100 off the regular price. Normally sells for about 3,700 and is "on sale" for 2,400-something because it's New England in February and they just want this stuff out of the store.

Anyone have any experience with this model JD ?? I'd like to hear from some people who already own one.. what you like, what you don't.

I'd be pissed if I didn't get it now and had to pay full price in a couple of months once the grass starts growing again and the snowblowers are on sale..

Here's a link to the G110 on the JD website. I was also comparing a similar Cub Cadet at Lowes last summer, but I think the G110 has more features and a more solid build.

If I do buy it, I'll probably get it tomorrow afternoon (Feb. 8th).

Last edited by Scribesoft; 02-07-2006 at 08:27 PM.
Old 02-07-2006, 08:32 PM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Spring is only 40 days away... $1100 below MSRP sounds like a deal.
Old 02-07-2006, 08:56 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Looks good to me, I've been looking at the L110's... (I've got a 1987 craftman and 1978 JD).

How much do you have to mow ?? The G110 might be overkill for a small lot, but I think you're in NH, so the lots are bigger up there

Are you planning on using the tractor for anything other then mowing ?? The Deere site says it's a garden tractor, but it might be built on the same frame as the lawn tractors (L100, etc). The wheelbase, turning ratio, etc are the same as the L1xx series...

If I was looking to spend 2500 on a tractor, I might look at the LT series (from a JD dealer). You won't get a v-twin (for 2500), but you will get a heavier duty tractor (and a real garden tractor) They are made in Horicon WI instead of Greeneville TN

You can do a search on http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/tractor/ for g110 to see some opinions...

Sounds like a good deal tho'.... I really don't think you can go wrong w/ a deere. Product support is excellent. I can still order parts for my 78 from the dealer.
Old 02-08-2006, 05:25 AM
Aaaarrrggghhhh!

Thanks for the input Greenie.

Yeah, we have just under 2 acres of grass to mow and I've been pushing it with a 22" Poulan mower for the past 2 years.. Last summer I thought I was going to have a heart attack trying to mow it on a really hot day.

I'm not worried about that frame. It's a fully welded, heavy duty frame.. The Husqvarna and Cub Cadet (which I generally consider good brands) are either bolted together or partially bolted/partially welded in the same $ range. Part of my lawn is a good size hill near the drive, so I want something with big tires and a lot of power to get up it (it's not too steep for a tractor, but is a bitch to push a regular mower up).

I was planning on getting a small brush trailer for the back to tow around.. I do a lot of yard work/landscaping around the yard and it would come in handy to lug things around..

Thanks for the forum link as well
Old 02-08-2006, 04:44 PM
Senior Moderator

Yeah, 2 acres and towing a small cart will be fine for a G110... more then enough tractor for your needs (and I usually advise over buying)...

I've got a little less then 1/2 an acre, and I got the craftsman rider (for $100) Nothing like being cheap and lazy

I do have a push mower too (for the edges of the yard that the tractor can't get to), that I've got $13 dollars into (spark plug and a cable was all it needed)....
Old 02-08-2006, 05:59 PM
Aaaarrrggghhhh!

picked it up today.. took all afternoon with the clowns at HD.. This thing has a 25hp engine and is quieter than my 6hp push mower.. That suprised me. Driving it down the ramps from the HD rental flatbed was scary as hell when I got home(they were almost at a 45-degree angle between the back of the truck and the driveway).. I had thoughts of me flipping "my new toy" over before I ever got to use it.

So, I bring it home and my son now thinks it's HIS! He's thanked me about 10 times since 4:00pm for getting him the tractor.. He's pretty funny about it.

I'm just excited to be able to drink and mow this summer rather than have a heart attack pushing the old 22".. Maybe now I can look forward to enjoying mowing again rather than dreading it.
Old 02-08-2006, 07:08 PM
Senior Moderator

Sweet !! the vtwins are alot quieter then the singles... especially the old kohler cast iron singles (like my 78 JD)...

How old's the kid ?? You might be able to have him cut the grass for you...

I actually like cutting the grass... It's like quiet time... just the hum of the tractor...

Oh, and...

edit: My pics are here: http://john-perry.com/tractor/index.html
Old 02-08-2006, 07:56 PM
Aaaarrrggghhhh!

I'll take some pics tomorrow when the sun is out. I've already got a few "mods" I want to do to it

The boy will be 3 1/2 next month (going on 18!).

I use to love mowing at my old house. It took about 90 minutes, was very relaxing, and gave me some exercise too. The new lawn can take over 4 hours to mow and I have dreaded it for the past 2 summers. Being able to ride instead of push will be great. And having a 54-inch wide swath for eash pass versus a 22 inch one will really speed up the process. It'll give me more time to get the trimmer out after and really tidy up the edges.

I'm a lawn freak too, so I always want my lawn to look like a Better Homes & Gardens cover lawn. Skipping a mow is never an option for me (in July, it usually needs 2 cuts per week when the sun is out and I'm getting water/fertilizer down to it)..

Your 316 JD looks like a lawn beast! I like it! I'm glad to see one from 1978 still in regular use..
Old 02-08-2006, 09:16 PM
Senior Moderator

Ah... 3 1/2 is probably a little young for sending him out to cut the grass Guess you're going to have to do it your self...

the 316 is a project... Put new tires on the front, but didn't get a chance to use it last year (bought it at the end of the season). Needs a tuneup (points are bad making for a hard start). It's got 2 spools of hydraulics on the front for a blade or blower and its built like a tank...

I'm having buyers remorse tho'... It's really too big for my small lot, so it might just get a tuneup and get sold next season. That's why I'm looking at the L110's. I almost bought a used L110 before xmas, but I thought owning 3 tractors would be too much

What kind of mods ?? I really need to get a cup holder for my craftsman...
Old 02-09-2006, 12:10 PM
Aaaarrrggghhhh!

Here are a few pics -

1) G110 in front of the TL for perspective:

2) Front view of my 3 beasts (each thing I buy gets smaller.. from right to left.. maybe my next purchase will be a big wheel!):

3) Here's a pic of the 54" cutting deck.. I won't put this on until Spring:

4) Finally - Here's the monkey who thinks it's his (taken last night before I cleaned up the garage):

We did take it for a drive around the yard earlier today... Ran like a charm.. Of course, I look like an idiot driving a mower around the yard 2 days before a Nor'Easter is suppose to hit!
Old 02-09-2006, 12:19 PM
Senior Moderator

Nice

Oh, remember to take the key out of the ignition when you're done... If you forget and leave it "on" your hour meter will keep running... (not good).

Of course there is the safety issue of not leaving the key in the ign. so the kid can start it up too... I've got my lil' tractor (no hour meter) in a locked shed, so it's there w/ the key... JD's outside under cover w/o a key...
Old 02-09-2006, 12:22 PM
Aaaarrrggghhhh!

Didn't even think of the hour meter continuing to run! Thanks for the heads-up.

Yeah, I pulled the key out about 1 minute after I snapped that pic of him on it.. It's on a hook above the old workbench now.