Is there any magic to duct work?

Old 12-01-2009, 10:01 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is there any magic to duct work?

Hey guys - in one of our Master closets there is a heat/AC register on the wall, near the floor in the corner. It has always been in a lame location as far as stacking stuff on the floor or hanging clothes by it. From day one I hear the wall "ticking" as it heats up and cools down. I have removed the grill and do not see any leaks or anything that would cause the heat to be heating up the surrounding wall. I have the same register located in my closet and there is no noise like this closet. I was thinking about just going in the attic and removing the feed to this register (the black hose) and putting a register in the ceiling and sheetrock the old hole. Yes, I know heat would be better placed on the floor area, but most of the vents upstairs are on ceiling, so this is not a concern.

Is there any secret to putting in a register? Cut a rectangle hole, put an elbow type duct up there and connect the black hose to it? Does the elbowed duct get nailed to a stud first? Just wondering if anyone has done this before. The ticking keeps me up at night (apparently a light sleeper) so I want to just disconnect it all together and go the ceiling route...any exp or comments appreciated.

Thanks
Old 12-01-2009, 11:52 AM
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
** I am no expert, this info is just what i picked up when i had my entire hvac system re-done a few months ago and i helped them **

you will want to nail the elbow vent to a stud or build something out to secure it. Secure the inner ductwork tube to the elbow with hvac tape(not sure what the name/term is) then pull the outside insulation over it and zip tie it to the elbow. They make a padded tape that works great to secure the insulation around the elbow just below where it secures to the stud and when you pull the insulation up over the tape, you zip tie the insulation against the padded tape which gives it something to grip and also makes a good seal. Key is a good seal with no leaks. Also, you could just look to see how your existing duct is secured/sealed and mimic that.
Old 12-01-2009, 12:15 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Is this the type of duct work you have?

Flexduct

Here's a guide to installing it: http://www.hvac-for-beginners.com/fl...tallation.html
Old 12-02-2009, 06:31 AM
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I was referring to flex also.