Subzero or Viking refrigerator?

Old 12-03-2007, 03:03 AM
mmmmmm....

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts
Subzero or Viking refrigerator?

The reason I asking this question is my parents just purchased a new house in LA. They have been waiting patiently for this house for very long time, and they finally closed the deal on last week. It's very quite neighborhood, easy access to freeway, and close to downtown. I'm very happy for them.

They decided to remodel our kitchen, bathroom, new floor, my future room, and master bathroom. They will be spending about $110k for this whole project w/o any furnitures. They have been looking for new refrigerator, and another kitchen stuff. They narrow it down to 42" built top subzero or any viking refrigerator. They already decided to go with viking for other kitchen stuff. (I honestly don't know anything about them so, forgive me.)

here comes my question..
which one with you recommend? I heard that Subzero makes one of top notch refrigerator and Viking is also well known but more for oven, microwave, and etc.
I was shocked when my mom told me that these refrigerator can go up $8,000+. Is it really worth all that money?
So, which one would you guys recommend?

Thanks,

P.S. I will keep you guys updated with some pictures when I go down for Christmas.

Last edited by S14 n Tsx; 12-03-2007 at 03:07 AM.
Old 12-03-2007, 08:14 AM
Pro

Received 74 Likes on 41 Posts
We went with the Viking (48" side by side with ice and water). Main reason was to match the Viking Range. Sub-Zero is also good, maybe a little better quality. Both are expensive and repairs are expensive as well. Make sure to get the extended warranty on either choice.

The Sub-Zero comes in different styles than the Viking. With Sub-Zero you can get some with glass doors if you like that sort of thing.

We've had our Viking about a year now without any issues. Your mom is right about the price, ours was about $8k with the custom paint. Prices go up in January (for Sub-Zero as well) so now is the time to make the decision.

Good luck and they'll be happy with either.
Old 12-03-2007, 08:38 AM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
if youre shopping around you may as well look at Liebherr & Thermador as well. both are major brands comparable to those mentioned. Liebherr offers alot of very innovative features.
Old 12-03-2007, 01:20 PM
mmmmmm....

Originally Posted by kcroberge
We went with the Viking (48" side by side with ice and water). Main reason was to match the Viking Range. Sub-Zero is also good, maybe a little better quality. Both are expensive and repairs are expensive as well. Make sure to get the extended warranty on either choice.

The Sub-Zero comes in different styles than the Viking. With Sub-Zero you can get some with glass doors if you like that sort of thing.

We've had our Viking about a year now without any issues. Your mom is right about the price, ours was about $8k with the custom paint. Prices go up in January (for Sub-Zero as well) so now is the time to make the decision.

Good luck and they'll be happy with either.
very nice choice. yeah, we did thought about the glass door one but it's little to fancy. I don't think my mom can handle all the cleanning to make it clean.

I will let them to get a extended warranty.
thanks much.
Old 12-03-2007, 01:21 PM
mmmmmm....

Originally Posted by soopa
if youre shopping around you may as well look at Liebherr & Thermador as well. both are major brands comparable to those mentioned. Liebherr offers alot of very innovative features.
hmmm, I guess I got more research to do. I will def. remind my parents about Libherr & Thermador.

thanks,
Old 12-03-2007, 01:47 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
I've read a while back that Viking and Subzero had a higher repair history than a lot of other high-end brands. I'm thinking it was Consumer Reports.
Old 12-03-2007, 01:49 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,792 Likes on 13,976 Posts
And here I was thinking I'd be happy with Whirlpool or LG.

Are these brands really $$$$ or something? Cuz, I've never heard of them.
Old 12-03-2007, 02:07 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,106 Likes on 764 Posts
Originally Posted by Yumchah

The Viking and Subzero brands are high end, "restaurant" or "commercial grade" stuff. Interesting thing is that many of them are supposedly installed for aesthetic effect and aren't used to their potential by most buyers (in Los Angeles, at least).

Consumer Reports runs evaluations on various appliances and found that the some of the higher end stuff has higher repair percentages and costs. There was also a report on gas stoves once-- IIRC, a GE Profile cooktop came out ahead of the high-end names, which ended up in the middle for performance. The GE refrigerators also come off better in performance testing.

I hope my wife isn't looking at Thermador or SubZero to replace our old Whirlpool fridge.
Old 12-03-2007, 02:08 PM
Pro

One more thing with either of these brands - make sure they are installed by factory trained techs. It's not that there is anything special with the install but usually doing this will extend the factory warranty by a year, depending on where you buy it. Oh, and these things are pigs, my fridge/freezer weighs close to 700 lbs. If you are combining this with granite counters, tile floors and other large appliances make sure that the floor can handle it.

Get the installation manuals online ahead of time because there are strict guidelines on where power outlets, water supply lines and support structures have to be. This will speed up installation if you can get it right ahead of time.
Old 12-03-2007, 03:43 PM
The Third Ball

Received 4,911 Likes on 2,614 Posts
Originally Posted by Will Y.
The Viking and Subzero brands are high end, "restaurant" or "commercial grade" stuff. Interesting thing is that many of them are supposedly installed for aesthetic effect and aren't used to their potential by most buyers (in Los Angeles, at least).
They make consumer line products as well.
Old 12-03-2007, 03:46 PM
mmmmmm....

Originally Posted by Yumchah

I would've been happy with GE or LG , but my parents think of this as a investment....

Last edited by S14 n Tsx; 12-03-2007 at 03:48 PM.
Old 12-03-2007, 03:47 PM
mmmmmm....

One more thing with either of these brands - make sure they are installed by factory trained techs. It's not that there is anything special with the install but usually doing this will extend the factory warranty by a year, depending on where you buy it. Oh, and these things are pigs, my fridge/freezer weighs close to 700 lbs. If you are combining this with granite counters, tile floors and other large appliances make sure that the floor can handle it.

Get the installation manuals online ahead of time because there are strict guidelines on where power outlets, water supply lines and support structures have to be. This will speed up installation if you can get it right ahead of time.
We hired professional interior designers so they will taking care of these stuff. I will remind them just to make sure...
Old 12-04-2007, 09:38 AM
on to the next one...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Leibherr > *
Old 12-04-2007, 10:26 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
We just put in a Kitchen Aid that has the fridge on the top (double doors) and the freezer on the bottom (pullout drawer). This setup is working VERY nicely and I would definitely recommend it over just a side by side fridge/freezer. The room in this thing is great and I love having the freezer on the bottom. Check out the last page of the "post your kitchen pics" thread for a pic.
Old 12-04-2007, 12:04 PM
on to the next one...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LuvMyTSX
We just put in a Kitchen Aid that has the fridge on the top (double doors) and the freezer on the bottom (pullout drawer). This setup is working VERY nicely and I would definitely recommend it over just a side by side fridge/freezer. The room in this thing is great and I love having the freezer on the bottom. Check out the last page of the "post your kitchen pics" thread for a pic.
Yes, the "French-Door" style fridge is very popular these days, though I still like exterior ice dispenser not generally offered on the french-door fridges...
Old 12-04-2007, 02:10 PM
Off roading in his

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Viking and Subzero are owned by the same parent company (if I remember correctly), with that said both are equally expensive to fix, with the Subzero being more reliable. Subzero also has a longer warranty on their compressors (which is the most expensive thing to fix). An extended warranty is a must with any of high end appliances, as repairs get ridiculously expensive (think of then as luxury car brands). If the Subzero fits the look of the kitchen go with that, but if Viking looks better, you cant go wrong
Old 12-04-2007, 02:18 PM
Pro

Sub-Zero and Wolf are the same company, Viking is a stand alone brand. Most Sub-Zeros also have separate compressors for the refrigerator and freezer which adds to the cost of the units.
Old 12-04-2007, 02:20 PM
Off roading in his

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
I knew I confused something.
Old 12-04-2007, 02:59 PM
Pro

Believe me there are more choices than I realized at that price and performance level and it is easy to get them confused.

There is even another level above these that is just outrageous. One example is the brand La Cornue. One of their ranges costs $38k!

link => La Cornue
Old 12-04-2007, 03:06 PM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Believe me there are more choices than I realized at that price and performance level and it is easy to get them confused.

There is even another level above these that is just outrageous. One example is the brand La Cornue. One of their ranges costs $38k!

link => La Cornue
Brad Pitt has one? Sold.
Old 12-04-2007, 03:37 PM
is learning to moonwalk i

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Brad Pitt has one? Sold.
But that's because Mrs. Smith uses it to conceal her weapons.

Seriously, I wonder if he has personally ever used it.
Old 12-04-2007, 04:25 PM
mmmmmm....

They do like the new "french door" style, but they are looking for bigger freezer so that won't work.

I did check out the post your kitchen thread and you got a very nice kitchen.
Old 12-04-2007, 04:27 PM
mmmmmm....

Brad Pitt has one? Sold.
Old 12-04-2007, 07:12 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by S14 n Tsx
They do like the new "french door" style, but they are looking for bigger freezer so that won't work.

I did check out the post your kitchen thread and you got a very nice kitchen.
Did you see the freezer on the bottom? It's pretty big IMO. The entire top is the fridge, bottom is the freezer. They may want to just go to a local store and check these things out in person before committing so much money (if they haven't done this already).

We have a french door style fridge at work and I hate it. Forget about fitting casserole dishes, cakes, or anything of the sort in there, whether it be the fridge or the freezer. It gets really annoying.

Oh, and the fridge we just got for home has a water dispenser inside the fridge (filtered water). It's a nice touch.

And thanks for the kitchen compliment.
Old 12-06-2007, 01:53 PM
The Third Ball

My fiancee just got a Kenmore Elite. With the double door fridge on top and drawer freezer on the bottom.

Funny, because in europe the freezer has always been on the bottom...and their fridge are way smaller (they still do things like go to markets and get fresh food to make daily...)

Its basically a rebadged LG fridge with a better warranty. The LGs have been HIGH marks for their fridges.

When my parents re-did their kitchen last year they went Viking everything and got a big package deal with some extras included. Its really nice stuff. I could have sworn I posted that in here already but its not, so whatever.
Old 12-06-2007, 03:52 PM
mmmmmm....

Did you see the freezer on the bottom? It's pretty big IMO. The entire top is the fridge, bottom is the freezer. They may want to just go to a local store and check these things out in person before committing so much money (if they haven't done this already).

We have a french door style fridge at work and I hate it. Forget about fitting casserole dishes, cakes, or anything of the sort in there, whether it be the fridge or the freezer. It gets really annoying.

Oh, and the fridge we just got for home has a water dispenser inside the fridge (filtered water). It's a nice touch.

And thanks for the kitchen compliment.
We actually did. My parents still thinks they are too small for them, and freezer being on the bottom to be little inconvenient. My mom is 52 years old, and I'm not sure if she wants to keep on bending over to get stuff out of the freezer. Anyway, they haven't made the finial decision yet so hopefully we can find some nice deal on one those refrigerator.
Old 12-06-2007, 03:56 PM
mmmmmm....

Originally Posted by The Sarlacc
My fiancee just got a Kenmore Elite. With the double door fridge on top and drawer freezer on the bottom.

Funny, because in europe the freezer has always been on the bottom...and their fridge are way smaller (they still do things like go to markets and get fresh food to make daily...)

Its basically a rebadged LG fridge with a better warranty. The LGs have been HIGH marks for their fridges.

When my parents re-did their kitchen last year they went Viking everything and got a big package deal with some extras included. Its really nice stuff. I could have sworn I posted that in here already but its not, so whatever.
hmmm, can you tell me where they got this deal from? I never seen a single Viking or Sub-Zero stores. I would've been happy with LG or GE because they are well made for price, but I guess my parents are little spoiled by these fancy refrigerator.
Old 12-06-2007, 05:36 PM

hmmm, can you tell me where they got this deal from? I never seen a single Viking or Sub-Zero stores. I would've been happy with LG or GE because they are well made for price, but I guess my parents are little spoiled by these fancy refrigerator.
You pretty much have to go to an Appliance Store to find them. There's a local chain out here called Pacific Sales that carries most brands. Check and see if you have anything similar in your area.
Old 12-06-2007, 06:15 PM
The Third Ball

They dont live in LA, so I cant really help you there.

As or the Freezer in the bottom, I like the design better, its easier to use and you are in the fridge part more then the freezer so you are actually bending over less (bending over to use the fridge part because its under the freezer.) But its what your folks like best.
Old 12-06-2007, 06:31 PM
mmmmmm....

Originally Posted by moeronn
You pretty much have to go to an Appliance Store to find them. There's a local chain out here called Pacific Sales that carries most brands. Check and see if you have anything similar in your area.
gotcha. I will look around and see if there is any.
Old 12-06-2007, 06:35 PM
mmmmmm....

Originally Posted by The Sarlacc
They dont live in LA, so I cant really help you there.

As or the Freezer in the bottom, I like the design better, its easier to use and you are in the fridge part more then the freezer so you are actually bending over less (bending over to use the fridge part because its under the freezer.) But its what your folks like best.
good point! When I was LA, I really thought that we were going to get one those "french style" door refrigerator, but I guess they changed their mind. I careless what they buy, just trying to help them to find better deal.
Old 12-06-2007, 06:58 PM

gotcha. I will look around and see if there is any.
You won't find Pacific Sales up there, but there should be at least a couple local or regional chains that do the same thing. Check the Sunday paper for ads.
Old 12-06-2007, 07:49 PM
mmmmmm....

Originally Posted by moeronn
You won't find Pacific Sales up there, but there should be at least a couple local or regional chains that do the same thing. Check the Sunday paper for ads.
btw, I'm talking about in So.Cal, not Seattle.
Old 12-06-2007, 08:56 PM
Pro

The web sites for any of these brands will let you search for local retailers.

Keep in mind that this purchase will not be like going to Sears, picking one out and having it delivered the next day. Delivery will be few weeks at least as most of these are not stocked by the retailers. Since ours was painted we had to wait 12-16 weeks for delivery to the store, then schedule installation.

If you are looking near the Studio City area check out this store, they carry near everything mentioned in this thread.

Universal Appliance
Old 12-06-2007, 09:56 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,106 Likes on 764 Posts
btw, I'm talking about in So.Cal, not Seattle.
Then Pacific Sales is a place to go (multiple locations), if your parents don't have a designer or consultant who will deal with the purchases and arrange installs as part of the remodeling.

Also, kcroberge is correct about weeks for delivery/install time, especially if the new stuff is built-ins rather than free-standing-- the SubZero fridges I've seen were all built in, aligned with the kitchen walls and often paneled with the same wood decor as the kitchens.
Old 12-06-2007, 10:49 PM
mmmmmm....

Originally Posted by Will Y.
Then Pacific Sales is a place to go (multiple locations), if your parents don't have a designer or consultant who will deal with the purchases and arrange installs as part of the remodeling.

Also, kcroberge is correct about weeks for delivery/install time, especially if the new stuff is built-ins rather than free-standing-- the SubZero fridges I've seen were all built in, aligned with the kitchen walls and often paneled with the same wood decor as the kitchens.
Time isn't issue for us. We already have a refrigerator from previous owner so.
Old 12-06-2007, 10:50 PM
mmmmmm....

The web sites for any of these brands will let you search for local retailers.

Keep in mind that this purchase will not be like going to Sears, picking one out and having it delivered the next day. Delivery will be few weeks at least as most of these are not stocked by the retailers. Since ours was painted we had to wait 12-16 weeks for delivery to the store, then schedule installation.

If you are looking near the Studio City area check out this store, they carry near everything mentioned in this thread.

Universal Appliance
thank you.