Refrigerator vs freezer

Old 08-20-2006, 01:09 PM
You want me to break it?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Refrigerator vs freezer

OK, so we're going to build a home and it will have an upstairs bar in it that will take a small refrigerator/freezer. I plan on using it to keep beer in at about 30 farenheit. So my question is this. Should I get a refrigerator and run it pretty much at its limit or a freezer and just run it kind of "warm"?
I am trying to ask if there is any difference in the strains placed on the cooling elements ie will the refrigerator be more likely to fail since I would be running it hard vs the freezer not having to work as much? Thanks.
Old 08-21-2006, 10:42 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Hmm, that's a good question. We actually had a Home Run run for a freezer and ended up doing the fridge thing instead. We usually have the dial set at 3.5 (dial goes 1-5, with 3 being "normal" and 5 being coldest) and we use the fridge to store all drinks (have soda, water, and beer in there). With it set at or just above normal the drinks are very cold. The freezer holds items that need to be frozen (duh), but that we do not need in our kitchen fridge (extra hamburger or hot dogs, frozen pizzas, italian ices, etc).

We ended up going with the fridge b/c it offered more flexibility (gave us both a fridge and freezer), didn't need to be defrosted or anything like some freezers do, was cheaper to buy, and also cheaper to run since freezers typically use more power then fridges.

Not sure if any of that info will help... but just some insight into the thought process of why we chose one over the other.
Old 08-21-2006, 07:44 PM
Honda+Blue=My garage

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts
There are plug in rheostats which let you run freezers or fridges warmer of colder. Doubt a freezer will keep 30 F, even at its warmest setting.

I had a commercial freezer I turned into a wine cooler. got the rheo/thermostat at a place that does beer brewing supplies for home brewers.

Good luck