Prefab Granite Countertops

Old 06-25-2007, 05:49 PM
is learning to moonwalk i

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Prefab Granite Countertops

Has anyone had any experience with prefabricated granite countertops?

I've been looking around at different options for kitchen and bathroom countertops and have seen several places advertising prefab granite. They typically come in ~2'x8' or ~2'x9' "slabs" with bullnose on the front and one or both sides. They are available in most, if not all, granite colors. They're quite a bit cheaper than buying a whole slab and fabricating everything from scratch. There is still some on-site fabrication that needs to be done (sinks, trim length, etc), but the majority is already taken care of. The one down side that I have heard is that they typically come from China and the epoxy they use to join the main slab with the bullnose piece is inadequate and the pieces tend to separate after 3-5 years.

Anyone have to spare on the subject?
Old 06-26-2007, 10:15 AM
registered pw

Received 354 Likes on 252 Posts
i have seen some at lowes and home depot.
prob a lower quality granite, but nice looking and nice price.

they are made for the typical sizes, 49" 62" and i think 30 and 24"

the 49" ones are like $270 or so.

i am thinking about upgrading the generic ones in our current home b/f we sell in 3 years
Old 06-26-2007, 11:55 AM
Honda+Blue=My garage

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by moeronn
Has anyone had any experience with prefabricated granite countertops?

I've been looking around at different options for kitchen and bathroom countertops and have seen several places advertising prefab granite. They typically come in ~2'x8' or ~2'x9' "slabs" with bullnose on the front and one or both sides. They are available in most, if not all, granite colors. They're quite a bit cheaper than buying a whole slab and fabricating everything from scratch. There is still some on-site fabrication that needs to be done (sinks, trim length, etc), but the majority is already taken care of. The one down side that I have heard is that they typically come from China and the epoxy they use to join the main slab with the bullnose piece is inadequate and the pieces tend to separate after 3-5 years.

Anyone have to spare on the subject?
Why would they epoxy the bullnose, is it 2cm?
If so get 3 cm in the prefab and the bullnose is cut into the stone.
Old 06-26-2007, 01:25 PM
is learning to moonwalk i

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dallison
i have seen some at lowes and home depot.
prob a lower quality granite, but nice looking and nice price.

they are made for the typical sizes, 49" 62" and i think 30 and 24"

the 49" ones are like $270 or so.

i am thinking about upgrading the generic ones in our current home b/f we sell in 3 years
I think those are premade for bathroom vanities with the sink already cut out. The ones I'm refering to are a solid slab with the bullnose ends. The sink is cut on site. Prices on these (2'x8') range from $200 to $500 per slab, depending on color. Installation and sink cutout is extra.

Originally Posted by pmptx
Why would they epoxy the bullnose, is it 2cm?
If so get 3 cm in the prefab and the bullnose is cut into the stone.
They are generally 2 cm, so the bullnose ends up being 4 cm. They epoxy the a strip under the slab prior to cutting the bullnose. Going to 3 cm, if they offer it, would increase the cost - kind of defeating the purpose of going prefab.

Going this way - on a place that I don't plan on being in longer than another 2 years (probably less than one year) would save a ton of money and still look pretty damn good. I just don't want to put in something that is likely tofall apart in a few years.