Neighbours tree

Old 06-14-2016, 11:11 PM

Received 7,772 Likes on 5,045 Posts
I'd like to propose an alternate tact... Go buy another tree and plant it right on the property line but in *your* yard. Plant it so it's all tippy and hanging over into her property, hopefully so it drops shit all over where she doesn't want it.

When she starts to complain, you can reach an amicable agreement of setting both of them on fire. Just make sure that when you do so, they don't make a crossed shape. That could be considered a hate crime.

Good luck. Let me know how it all works out when you get back from jail.
Old 06-15-2016, 01:26 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 895 Likes on 683 Posts
Originally Posted by cu2wagon
I'd like to propose an alternate tact... Go buy another tree and plant it right on the property line but in *your* yard. Plant it so it's all tippy and hanging over into her property, hopefully so it drops shit all over where she doesn't want it.

When she starts to complain, you can reach an amicable agreement of setting both of them on fire. Just make sure that when you do so, they don't make a crossed shape. That could be considered a hate crime.

Good luck. Let me know how it all works out when you get back from jail.
Haha I think I am going to have to just live with it after all. Not saying I am above poisoning it to be honest. Just that I would rather have a happy but non-sociable neighbour vs an angry neighbour who would blame me for it even if she never saw me do anything. You can have the most beautiful house ever, in the nicest area ever. But if your neighbour is a dick, it really ruins it.

Not planning a move anytime soon. I guess I could just put the much less popular vehicle on that side of the driveway and pray nightly that the clouds part and a giant lightening bolt strikes it....
Old 06-15-2016, 06:40 AM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,994 Likes on 14,502 Posts
You said it's sickly...
would getting it trimmed properly and making it healthy perchance help out with how much shit it's dropping? At the very least it'll help with it being an eye sore if it was happy and shaped properly.
Maybe she'd be willing to get that done, or split it.
Old 06-15-2016, 08:39 AM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,117 Posts
Originally Posted by TacoBello
Why is that surprising? You legally cannot encroach on to someone else's property. Just because someone was a tool and decided to plant a massive tree near the property line, does not alleviate them from anything crossing over the line.

So what you are saying is I can build an extension to my house and as long as it is only supported from my side of the property, you have no right to complain if it comes over on to your property?
My thought was to trees only.

My dad in upstate NY had a similar problem. Tree was on a neighbor's yard, with a fence in between yards. He asked the neighbor to trim the tree, neighbor said no. It was dropping green baseball sized nuts on our yard and killing our lawnmower blades. The city sided with the neighbor.
So I suggested that my dad write a sympathetic letter to the neighbor pleading with him to trim it, that my dad would help do it, play nice, blah blah blah. The neighbor relented and trimmed it. By dad then bought a 24 pack of beer for the neighbor, and now they get along quite nicely.

Where I live I can't touch my neighbor's trees without permission from the neighbor when the tree is rooted on their property, and I live in a very nice neighborhood.

Last edited by gatrhumpy; 06-15-2016 at 08:44 AM.
Old 06-15-2016, 08:52 AM

Received 7,772 Likes on 5,045 Posts
Hmm. Here, it's like others have said; if it encroaches onto my property, I can deal with it.

I have one neighbor with some sort of hell tree that has shot roots all through my yard, even up to my foundation. The damn things run just below the surface and occasionally pop-up to the surface in these huge knots.

So I hack the shit out of them with a hatchet (I pretend it's a tomahawk and that I'm a lot more badderass than I really am) and salt their corpses (not really a corpse, but it's my story).

So I guess YMMV.

EDIT: I should also point out that my neighborhood used to be a nice neighborhood but it's been going downhill since I moved in. Don't know why; it happened at the last place I lived too.
Old 06-15-2016, 05:19 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 895 Likes on 683 Posts
Originally Posted by rockstar143
You said it's sickly...
would getting it trimmed properly and making it healthy perchance help out with how much shit it's dropping? At the very least it'll help with it being an eye sore if it was happy and shaped properly.
Maybe she'd be willing to get that done, or split it.
I think it just looks like that. Like the branches grow really far apart and the bark is a weird grayish white color. I think sometime this week I am going to talk to her about trimming it into a globe shape of some sort.
Old 06-15-2016, 05:57 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Originally Posted by UlsterBoy13
One other option, is to offer to pay for it to be relocated into her back yard or something...i know not the cheapest option, but just a suggestion....that or introduce some wood destroying bugs to it...let nature be your ally.
This...

Originally Posted by TacoBello
So what you are saying is I can build an extension to my house and as long as it is only supported from my side of the property, you have no right to complain if it comes over on to your property?
Every city/county/state/neighborhod/HOA/etc has setbacks for permanent structures... so bad example
Old 06-15-2016, 07:09 PM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,994 Likes on 14,502 Posts
Nice, man!
I bet she'll work with you, just don't murder her beloved tree!