Neighbours tree

Old 06-13-2016, 01:29 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 875 Likes on 669 Posts
Neighbours tree

So my neighbour has a tree planted almost right on the property line in the front between our driveways. The tree in question is a spruce I beleive.

Anyways. This tree is causing a shit ton of issues, in the spring it makes pollen all over our driveway and vehicles, in fact living in a culde sac, it spreads all over the perimeter of the culdesac when it rains. In the mid summer it gets sticky sappy shit that is a massive PITA to get off the paint. Throughout the early spring to late fall it drops a shit ton of pine cones all over the driveway and grass area between the houses. Everytime it is windy and rainy, it drops these wormy looking things that stick to everything. It also has a family of squirrls living in it. And last but not least, it is ugly as hell, like it looks sick or something.

We have tried talking to her about it a ton of times, but she gets all upset and runs inside saying she had it for 25 years (we moved in 4 years ago) and now won't talk to us or make eye contact. A large portion of the tree is on over our property line, but I don't feel right cutting half the tree off. But obviously I don't know what to do anymore. I want to be a good neighbour and be nice, but shit man, this thing is making a mess of my house.

Not sure what to do
Old 06-13-2016, 01:48 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,583 Likes on 6,630 Posts
If she doesn't want to deal with it amicably , then you can bring in a third party mediator or the city to see what they can do. If they can't then just cut the side on your side off
Old 06-13-2016, 01:50 AM
_

Received 3,097 Likes on 1,867 Posts
Originally Posted by RDX10
Not sure what to do
Move to a better neighborhood.

We have tried talking to her about it a ton of times, but she gets all upset and runs inside saying she had it for 25 years (we moved in 4 years ago) and now won't talk to us or make eye contact.
Wait. How can this be? I thought you were great with the females....

Pick a girl, any girl, I will have her number and be great friends or more with her, in literally 1 day or less. But guys? Forget it.
Old 06-13-2016, 02:43 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by thoiboi
If she doesn't want to deal with it amicably , then you can bring in a third party mediator or the city to see what they can do. If they can't then just cut the side on your side off
We did talk with the city. They said the best they could do is set up an appointment for mediation. The neighbour does not have to comply or go if she chooses. And so far looks like she is choosing the "ignore it and it will go away" option. The city help line lady did say that we are completely allowed to cut off any portions over the property line. But since the tree is practically leaning with a good 1/3-2/3 of it over our property line, if i was to cut it, it would come out at an angle and look weird af and further diminish the property value. So between a rock and a hard place.
Old 06-13-2016, 02:47 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by AZuser
Move to a better neighborhood.

Wait. How can this be? I thought you were great with the females....
unfortunately my skills do not extend to middle aged married asian woman
Old 06-13-2016, 04:58 AM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Received 1,651 Likes on 1,116 Posts
So my neighbour has a tree planted almost right on the property line in the front between our driveways. The tree in question is a spruce I beleive.

Anyways. This tree is causing a shit ton of issues, in the spring it makes pollen all over our driveway and vehicles, in fact living in a culde sac, it spreads all over the perimeter of the culdesac when it rains. In the mid summer it gets sticky sappy shit that is a massive PITA to get off the paint. Throughout the early spring to late fall it drops a shit ton of pine cones all over the driveway and grass area between the houses. Everytime it is windy and rainy, it drops these wormy looking things that stick to everything. It also has a family of squirrls living in it. And last but not least, it is ugly as hell, like it looks sick or something.

We have tried talking to her about it a ton of times, but she gets all upset and runs inside saying she had it for 25 years (we moved in 4 years ago) and now won't talk to us or make eye contact. A large portion of the tree is on over our property line, but I don't feel right cutting half the tree off. But obviously I don't know what to do anymore. I want to be a good neighbour and be nice, but shit man, this thing is making a mess of my house.

Not sure what to do

Doesn't matter where the tree is hanging, it's where the tree is rooted. If it's on her property, then you have to ask her permission to cut it.
Old 06-13-2016, 04:59 AM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Received 1,651 Likes on 1,116 Posts
We did talk with the city. They said the best they could do is set up an appointment for mediation. The neighbour does not have to comply or go if she chooses. And so far looks like she is choosing the "ignore it and it will go away" option. The city help line lady did say that we are completely allowed to cut off any portions over the property line. But since the tree is practically leaning with a good 1/3-2/3 of it over our property line, if i was to cut it, it would come out at an angle and look weird af and further diminish the property value. So between a rock and a hard place.
May want to verify this because that's surprising.
Old 06-13-2016, 05:04 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by gatrhumpy
Might be a jurisdiction thing? I always thought this was the rule too.. Maybe #floriduh is different?
Old 06-13-2016, 08:23 AM
Drifting

Received 303 Likes on 243 Posts
unfortunately my skills do not extend to middle aged married asian woman
Ask Justin for help with this....

and as far as i was aware, against what Gatr says, if its overhanging on your property you are within your rights to trim it back to property limits.

One other option, is to offer to pay for it to be relocated into her back yard or something...i know not the cheapest option, but just a suggestion....that or introduce some wood destroying bugs to it...let nature be your ally.
Old 06-13-2016, 08:45 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,090 Likes on 767 Posts
Originally Posted by UlsterBoy13
that or introduce some wood destroying bugs to it...let nature be your ally.
i was going to say this... copper nails...
Old 06-13-2016, 09:00 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,413 Likes on 3,023 Posts
Originally Posted by AZuser
Move to a better neighbourhood.
fixed...
Old 06-13-2016, 09:03 AM
Banned

Received 960 Likes on 593 Posts
Originally Posted by UlsterBoy13
.that or introduce some wood destroying bugs to it...let nature be your ally.
Holy shit, do not do this.

Even if you trim it, it is still going to do the stuff you don't like. It's a tree. And if you kill it by trimming it, you'll be held liable.
Old 06-13-2016, 09:11 AM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
you are entitled to cut down whatever is over your property line.

Teach her a lesson.
Old 06-13-2016, 09:15 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by gatrhumpy
Why is that surprising? You legally cannot encroach on to someone else's property. Just because someone was a tool and decided to plant a massive tree near the property line, does not alleviate them from anything crossing over the line.

So what you are saying is I can build an extension to my house and as long as it is only supported from my side of the property, you have no right to complain if it comes over on to your property?
Old 06-13-2016, 09:27 AM
_

The city help line lady did say that we are completely allowed to cut off any portions over the property line. But since the tree is practically leaning with a good 1/3-2/3 of it over our property line, if i was to cut it, it would come out at an angle and look weird af and further diminish the property value.
There's your answer. Cut tree and make it look ugly. When she sees this, she'll want to cut down the rest of the tree.

Have you tried talking to and reasoning with the husband? Or does she wear the pants in the family?
Old 06-13-2016, 09:38 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by TacoBello
So what you are saying is I can build an extension to my house and as long as it is only supported from my side of the property, you have no right to complain if it comes over on to your property?
cantilever the room over the property line. b00m!!!
Old 06-13-2016, 09:52 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by KaMLuNg
cantilever the room over the property line. b00m!!!
well yeah, that's what I mean.. that wouldn't fly, right?

Not trying to be an a$s to gatr, but it'd be silly not to be able to deal with something unsightly coming on to your land.

Personally, I'd try reasoning with her first- as mentioned, see if the tree can be moved, if anything can be done, etc.

Secondly- I guess OP has put up with the tree for 4 years now... is it really that annoying?
Old 06-13-2016, 10:28 AM
Senior Moderator

i have the same type of tree with the same type of situation, but the tree is well in my neighbors yard and the wind just takes everything to my house... it's an oak tree that drops so much sap and pollen on my cars and driveway in the spring... it's digusting... the seeds and leaves clog my gutters on that side and i'm on a ladder twice a year cleaning them out... it's a pain, but it's just life/nature... when i mow the lawn every week, i blow the driveway clean and just get the cars washed when they are dirty...

if the branches were hanging over on my side of the property though, it would be a different story... i would talk to my neighbor about trimming it back... last year i got rid of all my trees that bordered our property lines... just didn't want to deal with the leaves...
Old 06-13-2016, 10:39 AM
Safety Car

Received 505 Likes on 378 Posts
Is any portion of the trunk on your property?
Old 06-13-2016, 11:10 AM
Team Owner

No.
Old 06-13-2016, 11:11 AM
Team Owner

Another thing OP can do... Dump a sack of salt on HIS side of the property line... That tree will be gone soon enough.
Old 06-13-2016, 11:24 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,244 Likes on 4,855 Posts
Park in the garage.
The following 2 users liked this post by oo7spy:
97BlackAckCL (06-14-2016), gatrhumpy (06-15-2016)
Old 06-13-2016, 11:32 AM
_

Pour a lot of fast release fertilizer to burn the roots.

How to Kill Trees With Fertilizers | Garden Guides

Some good ideas here too: https://www.uaex.edu/publications/PDF/FSA-5011.pdf
Old 06-13-2016, 12:02 PM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Received 2,000 Likes on 1,173 Posts
Honestly, it's a tree. As much of a pain in the ass as it may seem, it also provides you with shade, cooler temps, nice green foliage, etc.

I say let it go and chalk it up to being neighborly.

I live in the land of block-wall back yards. I have a neighbor with a tree that overhangs our block wall, and I prefer that over her having it trimmed to follow the block wall. It breaks up the block wall and I am ok with what detritus it drops in my yard in exchange for a lush view. I have a few trees that probably impinge on each of my neighbors yards over the wall and if they ever asked me to trim they I would, but they haven't either.

Maybe the solution is to tell your neighbor that you really like the tree too, but would the neighbor mind trimming it twice a year to keep it in check? Seems reasonable, and certainly cheaper than the legal fees involved in a fight.
Old 06-13-2016, 12:26 PM
registered pw

Received 354 Likes on 252 Posts
At our last house, our neighbor had a weeping willow tree near the property line. They always said that they knew they needed to get someone in to trim it but never did.
I cut all the parts i could reach that were over our fence. it was a really dirty tree and shaded our garden. They weren't too happy when i trimmed it, but i didn't really care since they never trimmed it. It looked pretty lopsided when i trimmed it too.
Old 06-13-2016, 03:51 PM
Suzuka Master

well yeah, that's what I mean.. that wouldn't fly, right?

Not trying to be an a$s to gatr, but it'd be silly not to be able to deal with something unsightly coming on to your land.

Personally, I'd try reasoning with her first- as mentioned, see if the tree can be moved, if anything can be done, etc.

Secondly- I guess OP has put up with the tree for 4 years now... is it really that annoying?
Like you said, here in edmonton at least, we are allowed to cut off any branches over the property line. I have put up with it for 4 years because the first year we just moved in at start of summer and did not want to cause issues. Second year we brought it up and she got all upset, third year again brought it up and she no longer talks to us, this would be the 4th year now.

This thing is completely unruly. Messing up the paint like crazy. On one hand, she already doesn't talk to us so what further harm could this do? On the other hand, I could just suck it up and deal with it because I would rather not have my neighbour angry with me.

Someone mentioned a garage, I do park in the garage at night, but during the day it doesn't make sense to keep on taking it in and out of the garage all day. And when it rains or is windy during the day, all the shit from her tree comes on to my property and cars.

I am considering asking her to cut it down or something and I will pay to replace it with something less messy like a fruit tree of some kind or even other variety of ever green.
Old 06-13-2016, 03:55 PM
Team Owner

Dude... Fruit tree is a BAD idea if you don't want a mess.

Also- are you a drug dealer, driving in and out of your garage many times a day?

If so, give me your number
Old 06-13-2016, 06:03 PM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Received 2,000 Likes on 1,173 Posts
I am assuming no HOA?
Old 06-13-2016, 07:53 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,049 Likes on 1,135 Posts
This is kind of like when people move in next to a race track and then complain about the race track
Like others said, cut anything over the property line, or don't.
Would it happen to be threatening a power line? If so call the power company and they will take care of it.

Last edited by doopstr; 06-13-2016 at 07:57 PM.
Old 06-13-2016, 08:05 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,392 Posts
Here is a link that has some good information in it in involving coflicts involving trees and neighbors:

Conflicts Involving Trees and Neighbors - FindLaw
Old 06-14-2016, 02:00 AM
Suzuka Master

Dude... Fruit tree is a BAD idea if you don't want a mess.

Also- are you a drug dealer, driving in and out of your garage many times a day?

If so, give me your number
I dont know man, anything but this shitty nasty looking thing. And No, but I am in and out of the house a lot. I don't like staying home too much...don't like going out for too long either...it is a balancing act.

And no, no HOA.
Old 06-14-2016, 08:25 AM
Senior Moderator

I dont know man, anything but this shitty nasty looking thing. And No, but I am in and out of the house a lot. I don't like staying home too much...don't like going out for too long either...it is a balancing act.

And no, no HOA.
no fruit tree...
Old 06-14-2016, 08:30 AM
Senior Moderator

tree, meet
Old 06-14-2016, 09:25 AM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Originally Posted by dallison
At our last house, our neighbor had a weeping willow tree near the property line. They always said that they knew they needed to get someone in to trim it but never did.
I cut all the parts i could reach that were over our fence. it was a really dirty tree and shaded our garden. They weren't too happy when i trimmed it, but i didn't really care since they never trimmed it. It looked pretty lopsided when i trimmed it too.
This is how I took care of the tree that was hanging over my property on the corner where my fence was going to go, the overhanging branch just disappeared
Old 06-14-2016, 10:48 AM
registered pw

Received 354 Likes on 252 Posts

Originally Posted by 97BlackAckCL
This is how I took care of the tree that was hanging over my property on the corner where my fence was going to go, the overhanging branch just disappeared
Old 06-14-2016, 12:24 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

:thief:
Old 06-14-2016, 12:29 PM
Senior Moderator

how about some lead poisoning with a 12 gauge?
Old 06-14-2016, 12:34 PM
Team Owner

He's not living in America
Old 06-14-2016, 07:36 PM
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts
As indicated in the link in Zita's Post (Post #30), you have the right to trim the tree but if you kill the tree or otherwise damage it, you could be held liable. Hopefully you and your neighbor can work something out. Otherwise, it will get nasty.
Old 06-14-2016, 10:48 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,244 Likes on 4,855 Posts
Someone mentioned a garage, I do park in the garage at night, but during the day it doesn't make sense to keep on taking it in and out of the garage all day. And when it rains or is windy during the day, all the shit from her tree comes on to my property and cars.
The only time to park a Honda in the open is at night. If you think a tree will fuck up your paint, you should see what the sun will do it. Your priorities are assbackward.

Jefford is spot on. It's a tree. It's nature. You can live with it and enjoy it if you choose to do so.

Pics, or it didn't happen.

Quick Reply: Neighbours tree