Need to replace the sliding patio door. Recommendations?

Old 07-27-2008, 04:42 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts
Need to replace the sliding patio door. Recommendations?

Builder put in a semi-crappy back sliding door and I've put up with it for a few winters... But it needs to go before the coming snow season.

Looked at Andersen and found one that I liked, however I don't think Andersen offers a model with blinds between the panes of glass. Is Pella the only manufacturer that does this?

I'm willing to spend a couple grand to get something of quality. I don't want to go completely overboard on this.

Thoughts?
Old 07-27-2008, 05:17 PM
Unofficial Goat

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts
Someone told me those Pella's with the blinds in the middle break easy. They could be full of it, but I would look into that. As for glass Pella makes great stuff, so if the blinds in the middle are not actually highly susceptible to failure I would go for it.
Old 07-28-2008, 03:02 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,010 Likes on 1,429 Posts
I don't know weather you can get this with the siding glass with blinds in the center, but opt for some Low - E windows, on my new house I got them and they help a lot by reducing the heat. I find that they have reduced my electrical bill a lot, maybe by 100 dollars.
Old 07-28-2008, 07:26 AM
Administrator Alumnus

Yea, I'd go Low-E for sure. The door faces north, so we only get a touch of sun in the late evening hours, so I don't see gaining a tremendous benefit versus just having a better-quality, "tighter" door...
Old 07-28-2008, 08:25 AM
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Pella has a 20/10 warranty. 20 years on the glass and seals and 10 years on "non-glass"
components. They will ether repair or replace the defective part (with cost of labor included only within 2 years of the sale date) or they would refund the original purchase price.
Old 07-28-2008, 10:44 AM
Make MyTL Great Again

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
^ replacing the blinds (if you can) would be cheaper then buying another window...however I woudl be that in 10 years they probably tweak there design a little so the blinds you get in them now won't be available to fit your window...and then they force you to buy new ones or get regular blinds.
Old 07-28-2008, 11:27 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I used to sell new construction houses and have sold both Pella and Andersen. Pellas are ok. They have several levels of quality and the ones that have the blinds in them are the highest level. Yes, they have warranties but who wants to deal with broken crap even if it is covered? I have heard of problems with the blinds and with Pella. No confirmed sources, just hearsay, but I wouldn't opt to buy them, personally. Another thing to mention about Pella: the patio doors open on the opposite side than other doors. Pella thinks this is a weather resistant thing, but what it does is that it puts the screen on the inside so that you have to open the door, and then close the screen if you want the screen open only. Plus, you can't put a bar in the door jamb to secure it because the slider is on the outside. Serious food for thought.

Andersen is a much better window (door) but doesn't offer that blind thing. How about Eagle which is Andersen's high end line? Also, check into Marvin. Marvins are the best window on the market, if you ask me. I'm sure they have a blind option, but it will be pricey. Believe me, in terms of windows, you can never spend too much. Most of the energy lost in a home is through the windows and patio doors in particular need to fuction well and hold up since they are constantly used.

I'm no expert but spent a lot of time with people spending a lot of $$ on windows and patio doors so I needed to know what I was talking about. Do your homework and shop around. It's an important purchase.
Old 07-28-2008, 08:17 PM
registered pw

Received 354 Likes on 252 Posts
replace with french doors?
Old 07-28-2008, 08:23 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Originally Posted by dallison
replace with french doors?
Considered it, but I would think those would be worse than a sliding door.
Old 07-28-2008, 08:34 PM
Administrator Alumnus

I took a quick look at the Marvin products and just couldn't bring myself to consider spending that kind of $$$.

I'd also love to pull out all my windows, but there are 37 windows to replace which would exceed some third world country GDPs...

Originally Posted by SaraWI
I used to sell new construction houses and have sold both Pella and Andersen. Pellas are ok. They have several levels of quality and the ones that have the blinds in them are the highest level. Yes, they have warranties but who wants to deal with broken crap even if it is covered? I have heard of problems with the blinds and with Pella. No confirmed sources, just hearsay, but I wouldn't opt to buy them, personally. Another thing to mention about Pella: the patio doors open on the opposite side than other doors. Pella thinks this is a weather resistant thing, but what it does is that it puts the screen on the inside so that you have to open the door, and then close the screen if you want the screen open only. Plus, you can't put a bar in the door jamb to secure it because the slider is on the outside. Serious food for thought.

Andersen is a much better window (door) but doesn't offer that blind thing. How about Eagle which is Andersen's high end line? Also, check into Marvin. Marvins are the best window on the market, if you ask me. I'm sure they have a blind option, but it will be pricey. Believe me, in terms of windows, you can never spend too much. Most of the energy lost in a home is through the windows and patio doors in particular need to fuction well and hold up since they are constantly used.

I'm no expert but spent a lot of time with people spending a lot of $$ on windows and patio doors so I needed to know what I was talking about. Do your homework and shop around. It's an important purchase.
Old 07-28-2008, 08:38 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,177 Likes on 1,194 Posts
We have an Andersen sliding door. The screen door is a POS. It's always falling off the track. I can't figure out why. It's a shame because the door itself is nice and built well.
Old 07-28-2008, 08:46 PM
I feel the need...

Received 515 Likes on 363 Posts
Originally Posted by Scrib
Looked at Andersen and found one that I liked, however I don't think Andersen offers a model with blinds between the panes of glass. Is Pella the only manufacturer that does this?
Not sure if they are the only ones, but Pella does also offer a French Door with the same feature. I would go , much more classy looking.

Considered it, but I would think those would be worse than a sliding door.
Worse in what way? We love ours.
Old 07-28-2008, 09:17 PM
I feel the need...

Another thing to mention about Pella: the patio doors open on the opposite side than other doors. Pella thinks this is a weather resistant thing, but what it does is that it puts the screen on the inside so that you have to open the door, and then close the screen if you want the screen open only. Plus, you can't put a bar in the door jamb to secure it because the slider is on the outside. Serious food for thought.
That makes no sense, I have not heard of that. A simple solution would be to get the French Door. It's pretty cool to open both doors on a nice breezy day.
Old 07-28-2008, 09:37 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Fibonacci
That makes no sense, I have not heard of that. A simple solution would be to get the French Door. It's pretty cool to open both doors on a nice breezy day.
Ok..let me explain. On a typical sliding patio door, the side that slides is normally on the inside of the house with the screen on the outside of the house. Pella puts the sliding part on the outside with the screen on the inside. This also makes the screen available to pets or kids since it is there on the inside of the house always. Plus, like I said, if you want to open the slider and keep the screen closed, you would have to open the slider and then close the screen from the inside. One more step than a typical patio door. Not to mention..this leaves the sliding door available to someone trying to break into the house by merely busting the track on the slider and taking the door off from the outside.

French doors are very pretty and nice, but they take up room to swing and if the door is wet, you're bringing in a wet door to the house to drip on the floor. In addition, if you want the door just cracked a little for a slight breeze, it's harder to keep a French door in place just cracked open without propping something against it.

Believe me, I've had hours of conversation with home buyers about these damn doors!!
Old 07-28-2008, 09:38 PM
Burning Brakes

I took a quick look at the Marvin products and just couldn't bring myself to consider spending that kind of $$$.

I'd also love to pull out all my windows, but there are 37 windows to replace which would exceed some third world country GDPs...
I warned ya. lol
Old 07-29-2008, 05:20 PM
I feel the need...

French doors are very pretty and nice, but they take up room to swing and if the door is wet, you're bringing in a wet door to the house to drip on the floor. In addition, if you want the door just cracked a little for a slight breeze, it's harder to keep a French door in place just cracked open without propping something against it.
1. We have plenty of room to swing the door open.

2. We don't usually open the door when it's raining.

3. A simple rubber door wedge works easily.

Get the Pella French door , you won't regret it.
Old 07-30-2008, 07:00 AM
Administrator Alumnus

Andersen is a much better window (door) but doesn't offer that blind thing. How about Eagle which is Andersen's high end line?
Found a local Eagle dealer. Their website blows, but I may go check them out.
Old 07-30-2008, 07:02 AM
Administrator Alumnus

Not sure if they are the only ones, but Pella does also offer a French Door with the same feature. I would go , much more classy looking.

Worse in what way? We love ours.
I'm just not convinced that french doors would seal any better than a well-made sliding door. Could be wrong.

The issue I also have with french doors is I would think I'd want them to open into the house, which would create a very tight space between the open door and the kitchen table. I suppose they could open towards the outside, but I'm not sure most people do it that way???
Old 07-30-2008, 04:17 PM
I feel the need...

I'm just not convinced that french doors would seal any better than a well-made sliding door. Could be wrong.
I think they actually seal better if you buy a quality french door. Also, they are more secure since they aren't on a running track. Food for thought.

As for the swinging out instead of inwards, yes they are available - that only makes sense in a warm weather state.

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load...583729257.html
Old 07-31-2008, 02:44 PM
Administrator Alumnus

French doors are out... I've been told that going from a slider to french is a painful transition and given my northern exposure and Pella's confirmation that french doors are not as tight as sliders, I'll be saying put.
Old 07-31-2008, 04:45 PM
Burning Brakes

French doors are out... I've been told that going from a slider to french is a painful transition and given my northern exposure and Pella's confirmation that french doors are not as tight as sliders, I'll be saying put.
That's probably good since building code will not allow for an outswing if there is a step down from the door which there most likely is. Either way, I agree that a patio door is a better choice in this situation. Good luck with Eagle
Old 07-31-2008, 05:52 PM
I feel the need...

Pella's confirmation that french doors are not as tight as sliders, I'll be saying put.
Link?
Old 07-31-2008, 07:00 PM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Received 2,000 Likes on 1,173 Posts
Inward swinging French doors are pretty easy for a hamburgler to force open, as well. Couple of good kicks right in the middle...
Old 07-31-2008, 07:08 PM
I feel the need...

Originally Posted by stogie1020
Inward swinging French doors are pretty easy for a hamburgler to force open, as well. Couple of good kicks right in the middle...
As a general rule out-swing doors are more secure, because you can't kick them in, but this is not a concern with the JELD-WEN, Anderson, and Pella In-swing french doors, because of the Multi-Point locking system.
http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/loa...1583729257.html

I don't live in a high crime area, but that is what an alarm system and a shotgun is for.
Old 07-31-2008, 08:37 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Link?

None. Going off of comments made by Pella.
Old 07-31-2008, 08:38 PM
Administrator Alumnus

That's probably good since building code will not allow for an outswing if there is a step down from the door which there most likely is. Either way, I agree that a patio door is a better choice in this situation. Good luck with Eagle
I've heard that Eagle isn't all that it's cracked up to be.
Old 08-02-2008, 07:26 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
I've got a cheap POS french door (only one side opens) that the PO installed, and I'd much rather have a slider... It's in a room that is an enclosed breezeway (it's not that wide), so there's not much room for a door that opens in. I would love to put slider. I think the PO went for looks before function...
Old 08-02-2008, 07:33 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by doopstr
The screen door is a POS. It's always falling off the track. I can't figure out why. It's a shame because the door itself is nice and built well.
Most doors have screws to adjust the tension on the wheels that ride in the track. There's 2 different styles:

http://www.prime-line-products.com/howtoscreen.asp

Replacement rollers are sometimes needed to fix the problem (the box stores have 'em). They break, especially on older doors that get alot of traffic
Old 08-02-2008, 01:32 PM
Team Owner

^Cool, I will see if I can fix 'er up.
Old 08-02-2008, 08:00 PM
I feel the need...

None. Going off of comments made by Pella.
Comments made by Pella or someone trying to sell you a replacement slider?

It's your money dude, just a friendly suggestion, if you care about picking easy places to add resale value is the way to go. Also, go with an 8ft tall one - very nice.
Old 08-03-2008, 10:29 AM
Team Owner

Ok I take back what I said about the screen door being a POS. I made the adjustments and now it's great. I give to my Andersen slider.
Old 08-03-2008, 12:46 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Comments made by Pella or someone trying to sell you a replacement slider?

It's your money dude, just a friendly suggestion, if you care about picking easy places to add resale value is the way to go. Also, go with an 8ft tall one - very nice.
I give up.
Old 08-03-2008, 08:26 PM
I feel the need...

I give up.
Just seems like you were trying to talk yourself out of an easy upgrade. I just don't get the fascination about tight seals, they seal fine -- unless you regularly face gale force winds, wouldn't worry so much.

I just think sliders are cheaper looking, just my
Old 08-04-2008, 06:18 PM
Administrator Alumnus

So I'm "considering" the Pella Designer series. However, the door would cost near $4,000 installed which I nearly vomited when I was told the number. I really want blinds between the glass, and Eagle is the only other manufacturer that carries that. Price-wise, the doors are pretty comparable, however. I seem to find that Pella is a superior door, though.

$4,000 for a freakin' door. Hate to get a quote on what it would take to do all my 37 windows.
Old 08-04-2008, 07:20 PM
I feel the need...

So I'm "considering" the Pella Designer series.

I really want blinds between the glass, and Eagle is the only other manufacturer that carries that. Price-wise, the doors are pretty comparable, however. I seem to find that Pella is a superior door, though.
Already mentioned that you have northern exposure, whadya need the blinds for?
Old 08-04-2008, 07:38 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Already mentioned that you have northern exposure, whadya need the blinds for?
Privacy
Old 08-04-2008, 07:41 PM
has Gloryhole Girls in

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
are you wacking it in the kitchen again?
Old 08-04-2008, 07:44 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Originally Posted by LotusTracker
are you wacking it in the kitchen again?
No but kitchen sex ftw!!!
Old 08-04-2008, 07:59 PM
Team Owner

So what's the equivalent door without the built in blinds cost?
Old 08-04-2008, 08:03 PM
I feel the need...

No but kitchen sex ftw!!!
Careful, you'll attract the D&R trolls like darksom who'll proclaim what a wild 'n crazy things he's got proclivity for cuz he's just one bad ass mofo.

But as for the blinds, the inside the glass ones are overrated, imo. If you really need the privacy, some nice drapery works just as well at night.

Quick Reply: Need to replace the sliding patio door. Recommendations?