Mortgage lenders pursue homeowners even after foreclosure

Old 02-12-2010, 11:27 PM
Safety Car

Received 111 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by juniorbean
Yup. It's complete bullshit. And until they change that they will continue to see foreclosures. I don't agree that people should just walk away b/c they are suddenly underwater. I mean in a few years they'll be back ahead since the market is cyclical. On the other hand I completely understand their frustration and why they would consider it. If it was us I'd be pissed that John Doe living beyond his means can get help, but I did everything right and can't get any assistance.

As for foreclosures... they expect this year to be as bad, or worse then last year.

http://money.cnn.com/2010/02/11/real...21105&hpt=Sbin
yup, no kidding. if you purchased at a 90 LTV, all it takes is a 10% market depreciation hit in the beginning months to technically put you "under water." its very ignorant to walk away just b/c your home qualifies as one of the buzz-words. but hey, its that same type of ignorance that allowed such poor souls to take on so much risk in the first place.

Last edited by ThermonMermon; 02-12-2010 at 11:30 PM.
Old 02-13-2010, 08:56 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Here lies the problem. People are considering their home an "investment" (we won't get into that debate again). When their "investment" is not worth at least what they've put into it, they want to cry foul and beg for help.

Well you can't have your cake and eat it too.

1) Don't take out an adjustable rate mortgage if you aren't willing to deal with the consequences
2) Just like the stock market, if your investment is losing money, do you sell it? Hell no, you sit on it and wait. Could take 5 years, could take 10 years. If you want to sell, YOU, not anyone else has to deal with the consequences

Unless you are absolutely forced to sell, DO NOT SELL!!! It's as simple as that.

Everyone sees that they can get a better house for less money...Well guess what....TOOO F'IN BAD. You already made your decision.
Old 02-13-2010, 10:27 AM
Safety Car

Received 111 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by NSXNEXT
Here lies the problem. People are considering their home an "investment" (we won't get into that debate again). When their "investment" is not worth at least what they've put into it, they want to cry foul and beg for help.

Well you can't have your cake and eat it too.

1) Don't take out an adjustable rate mortgage if you aren't willing to deal with the consequences
2) Just like the stock market, if your investment is losing money, do you sell it? Hell no, you sit on it and wait. Could take 5 years, could take 10 years. If you want to sell, YOU, not anyone else has to deal with the consequences

Unless you are absolutely forced to sell, DO NOT SELL!!! It's as simple as that.

Everyone sees that they can get a better house for less money...Well guess what....TOOO F'IN BAD. You already made your decision.
agreed on the basics. as for the last sentence: depending on your neighborhood you could see REOs going for 20-40% discounts from current FMV. its always an option to sell and look elsewhere. and if your submarket pricing has hit a trough and you see an decrease in supply (listings / closings), then it would be a very smart decision to get a better house for less. (depending on your financial resources, of course)....just ask Juniorbean

Last edited by ThermonMermon; 02-13-2010 at 10:31 AM.
Old 02-15-2010, 09:40 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
^ Our house should be on the market by the end of next week Have our eye on a bunch of others, so hopefully we'll sell quickly so we can make a move quickly

Oh and for the record, I agree with everything NSXNEXT said except the last sentence. It's not really "too bad" if you can sell and buy something else. If you are underwater... then yes, it sucks for you.
Old 02-15-2010, 08:53 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Originally Posted by juniorbean
Oh and for the record, I agree with everything NSXNEXT said except the last sentence. It's not really "too bad" if you can sell and buy something else. If you are underwater... then yes, it sucks for you.
What I meant was that people think they'll just walk away from their current house and then go buy another one.
Old 02-16-2010, 08:57 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Originally Posted by NSXNEXT
What I meant was that people think they'll just walk away from their current house and then go buy another one.
Gotcha. Agree 100%