Microfiber Furniture + Stains?

Old 06-07-2007, 02:33 PM

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts
Question Microfiber Furniture + Stains?

We're getting a new couch made of a light coloured microfiber. I've been trying to research whether or not it is a good idea to spray it with any chemicals (eg: Scotchguard) to help protect it against stains. So far, I'm gathering it's not a good idea (and the bottle of Scotchguard mentioned nothing of Microfiber).

What have you done/heard?

Microfiber is supposed to be pretty good with stains as it is, as liquids are supposed to bead on the surface instead of sink into the fabric.
Old 06-07-2007, 02:54 PM
Involuntary Karatechopper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a MF la-z-boy chair that has a stain protectant applied to it from the manufacturer, and it works well. It's got a guarantee against stains, actually. You just have to be careful not to stain the carpet/rug (if you spilled wine for example, dab instead of wipe clean).

You didn't mention who makes the couch or what kind of microfiber it is... that's very important to know when you're talking about Scotchguard. Scotchguard and other chemicals can cause some materials to deteriorate over time.

So who makes the couch? What type of microfiber is it (e.g. olefin)?
Old 06-07-2007, 03:09 PM
Bagel Bomber

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I've had a microfiber couch for a while now. its a stone color so everyday stains from body oils and dirt dont show up as easy as say a white couch.

Liquid will bead for about a minute, but eventually soaks in so make sure you dab up anything right away.
Old 06-08-2007, 07:29 AM
Creepy guy in the mirror.

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts
We have lots of microfibre furniture pieces in our place. Some experiences are...

Delivery guys with greasy hands left paw prints on everything. Washed right off with a rag damp with dishwater.

Blue pen on red sofa. Washed out with again a wet rag and dish soap.

Kitchen chair with smushed in chocolate cake - it was a kid not me. Washed out with a wet rag - no soap required.

We do have an unidentifiable dark dribble on one kitchen chair that I cant get off. It appears to be dried hard and embedded in the fabric. It is barely noticeable. It might be candle wax.

I guess the premise with microfibre is that there is nothing natural about the fibres at all and they will not absorb anything, but will wick moisture. So you can get it dirty, then you just moisten to loosen the dirty substance and wick it out. Just dont let anything dry hard.
Old 06-09-2007, 06:35 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My microfiber couch is the easiest peice of furnature I have cleaned. All I do is take a damp cloth to it until the stain comes out and whah..la... it's gone. I don't see a need to use any chemicals. *shrug*
Old 06-09-2007, 08:52 PM

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts
Thanks a ton for all the info. That's pretty consistent with what I've been reading.
Old 06-11-2007, 08:26 AM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,117 Posts
Get the stain protection from the manufacturer. It is worth it. I used to hate them as nothing more than money makers, but in the end, my father spilled almost an entire can of Coke on the MF sofa we had, and it soaked right up onto a towel. Get it!