LG Front-Loading Washers

Old 05-25-2010, 06:58 PM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,117 Posts
LG Front-Loading Washers

Local Home Depot said LG is the only washer to have a technology where the washer tilts to allow you to add more clothes in the middle of a wash cycle. Anyone ever heard of this feature and what the cheapest model number that has this feature?
Old 05-25-2010, 07:22 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts
Can't speak for that specific "technology", but really how much more laundry do you really need to get into a front-loader?

We have the LG steam washer/dryer and they're great. So I can at least recommend the brand. While the washer doesn't tilt, it still holds a shitton of laundry.
Old 05-25-2010, 08:46 PM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

I don't know if the guy at Home Depot was mistaken, but I called a rep at LG and he said that all LG washers have this 'feature,' and I use that term loosely. The washer door locks when the suds start flowing, not necessarily when the water starts to fill up the barrel. Oh well. My wife won't exactly be thrilled about that, but I guess that's a price you pay for energy efficiency.

I mainly wanted a front-loading washer for less water use, less energy use, and mosre longer lasting clothes (i.e. no agitator).
Old 05-25-2010, 08:57 PM
nnInn

Received 1,084 Likes on 646 Posts
I remember seeing something about top loading machines that cover the concerns you have. But can't remember where that was.
Old 05-25-2010, 09:07 PM
Team Owner

Received 3,864 Likes on 2,031 Posts
Originally Posted by jupitersolo
I remember seeing something about top loading machines that cover the concerns you have. But can't remember where that was.
Whirlpool Cabrio (what I have) is a high efficiency high capacity top load washer / front load dryer.

Maytag sells essentially the same machine as the Bravo model.
Old 05-26-2010, 07:16 AM
Administrator Alumnus

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by gatrhumpy
I don't know if the guy at Home Depot was mistaken, but I called a rep at LG and he said that all LG washers have this 'feature,' and I use that term loosely. The washer door locks when the suds start flowing, not necessarily when the water starts to fill up the barrel. Oh well. My wife won't exactly be thrilled about that, but I guess that's a price you pay for energy efficiency.

I mainly wanted a front-loading washer for less water use, less energy use, and mosre longer lasting clothes (i.e. no agitator).
Mine certainly doesn't have a feature that tilts the tub. However, the LGs use so little water that you CAN stop the cycle and insert clothes. Maybe that is what they were telling you? But mechanically, the drum tilting like you described? Not on my model. Our units are maybe 18 months old.
Old 05-26-2010, 10:54 AM
Team Owner

We looked at this when we bought our last set. I figured the payback period on the extra expense for the front-load set at around 200 years compared to the less expensive and higher capacity Cabrio.

That coupled with the admonition from our appliance repair guy that if we bought front-loaders he'd see us every few years to fix seals "sealed" the deal for us so to speak.
Old 05-26-2010, 01:32 PM

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts
We have a high efficiency top loader without agitator that has the same capacity, if not slightly larger, than most front-loaders....and we don't have to worry about the rotting, rubber seal issue or mold. Plus, it's easier on your back to load and unload, unless you were thinking of getting the extra risers for the front-loader.

Last edited by Street Spirit; 05-26-2010 at 01:40 PM.
Old 05-26-2010, 01:41 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Originally Posted by Scrib
Can't speak for that specific "technology", but really how much more laundry do you really need to get into a front-loader?

We have the LG steam washer/dryer and they're great. So I can at least recommend the brand. While the washer doesn't tilt, it still holds a shitton of laundry.
I think he was referring to adding something once the wash cycle has started. I am constantly doing that as I find a stray shirt or pants in the kid's rooms.
Old 05-26-2010, 01:43 PM

I've added a thing or two within minutes of starting the washer (if that's what you're worried about)... no biggy - I hit "stop", the door unlocks, I throw in the few things I want to add, and hit "start" and it continues. You don't need a 'feature' for that. If you're thinking of doing it to fill the washer up as much as possible -- it's good to leave some room for clothes to move around a bit and let the water circulate anyway.
Old 05-26-2010, 05:09 PM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Originally Posted by jupitersolo
Front-loading, not top-loading.
Old 05-26-2010, 05:15 PM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Originally Posted by Street Spirit
I've added a thing or two within minutes of starting the washer (if that's what you're worried about)... no biggy - I hit "stop", the door unlocks, I throw in the few things I want to add, and hit "start" and it continues. You don't need a 'feature' for that. If you're thinking of doing it to fill the washer up as much as possible -- it's good to leave some room for clothes to move around a bit and let the water circulate anyway.
You have an LG washer? Would you mind telling me the model number, and do an experiment the next time you wash a relatively full load? Could you open the washer every minute for up to 15 minutes to see if the door still opens? Our purchase hinges on your experiment results.

We (or at least I do) know about the rotting seal and mold issue, and the way to mitigate that is to leave the door open every time after you wash something and wipe down the moisture for at least 10 minutes.
Old 05-26-2010, 05:26 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
^^^ She has a top loader not front.
Old 05-26-2010, 07:45 PM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Blah.
Old 05-26-2010, 10:58 PM
all work and no play

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts
my former roommate had the Kenmore Calypso I believe. It was a topload, without an agitator. I found that for my work clothes it did a poor job cleaning them. Currently I have a Kenmore front load washer and dryer, and I lothe them. The washer has the typical rubber ring mold mildew issues if I dont keep on top of it. Before I moved in, my fiancee had always used too much of the wrong detergent, along with liquid fabric softeners. One of these days I am going to have to gut and clean the thing by hand.

The drier sucks too, shuts off occasionally when I first start it. While I like the energy efficiency of them...when the time comes they will likely be replaced with standard type units
Old 05-26-2010, 11:09 PM

You have an LG washer? Would you mind telling me the model number, and do an experiment the next time you wash a relatively full load? Could you open the washer every minute for up to 15 minutes to see if the door still opens? Our purchase hinges on your experiment results.

We (or at least I do) know about the rotting seal and mold issue, and the way to mitigate that is to leave the door open every time after you wash something and wipe down the moisture for at least 10 minutes.
I have a top-loading machine, but extra large capacity. I am almost positive I can stop the machine at any point during the wash cycle and the lid will unlock. Once I press 'start' again, the cycle just continues. But I don't see the point in doing that. What's your purpose.....why would you want
to open the washer every 15 minutes? Whatever you throw in at that point would miss the initial rinse cycle and the detergent being added. On top of that, the machine uses the appropriate amount of water based on the load size (mine does not need this setting entered manually), so you're just throwing everything off by continually adding more items.

Are you thinking you or your wife will stand at the washer every time you do laundry and wait around to throw more clothes in every minute? You'd use 15 minutes of your day each time you do laundry just do do this?
Old 05-27-2010, 06:55 AM
Team Owner

I'm with SS. Sounds to me like you need a better way of separating/aggregating your laundry before you throw it in the washer. A couple of hampers are a lot cheaper than the extra cost for a front-loader drenched in margin for the manufacturer, er, I mean features.

If you're really after a front load for the looks, then go for it but be aware that the design has inherent problems that a top load doesn't have, and the load capacity will be smaller than you can get with a top load, they are more expensive than a top load design, and you will spend extra money on bases if you want them to be at a comfortable height to use.
Old 05-27-2010, 10:26 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
We have the LG front load washer and dryer and love them. 5+ years and going strong. Obviously they do not have the feature you are referring to, but on a few occasions I have hit the "pause" button and thrown in some laundry with no problems. I can't recall if it was 15 minutes in or 5 minutes in, but I have done it when it was on the second cycle with no problem.
Old 05-27-2010, 12:02 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We got the LG frontloader 5 months ago from HD. They were the new 4.0Cu Ft one (can check model number when i get home). When i tried to add something in when i started a wash, i had to shut it off then restart it.
The machine has 1 button for power (left side), then the control knob to choose wash selection, then the button on the right side for start/pause. I figured i could "pause" (right button) it then open and add but i had to "power down" (left button) then open and add so it made me think that it wasnt recommended to "stop and add"

Old 05-27-2010, 05:46 PM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Originally Posted by svtmike
I'm with SS. Sounds to me like you need a better way of separating/aggregating your laundry before you throw it in the washer. A couple of hampers are a lot cheaper than the extra cost for a front-loader drenched in margin for the manufacturer, er, I mean features.

If you're really after a front load for the looks, then go for it but be aware that the design has inherent problems that a top load doesn't have, and the load capacity will be smaller than you can get with a top load, they are more expensive than a top load design, and you will spend extra money on bases if you want them to be at a comfortable height to use.
This is false. For the same cubic feet of the barrel drum of a top load and a front-loading washer, you can actually fit 25-35% more clothes in a front-loading washer because you don't have the agitator.

My wife likes the open-door feature because she tends to find stray baby clothes or something when she does a load and wants to be able to add it into the wash. I'm talking a stray baby sock here and there. I told her that it wasn't that big a deal to offset the energy efficiency.

With a front-loader, of course, we have to use the right amount of detergent and take care and watch the mold issue. Its worth the energy efficiency.
Old 05-27-2010, 06:29 PM
Team Owner

This is false. For the same cubic feet of the barrel drum of a top load and a front-loading washer, you can actually fit 25-35% more clothes in a front-loading washer because you don't have the agitator.
Not all top loads have an agitator. Mine has a 5.2 cu. ft. capacity, and is a High Efficiency washer. If you're looking for HE, you don't have to restrict your search to front load.
Old 05-27-2010, 08:27 PM

I have a top-load washer and it doesn't have an agitator. I doubt any H.E. washer does. By specs alone, it is also bigger than most front-load washers, too. Buying a whole new set of expensive machines for things like finding an odd baby sock or onesie just doesn't make sense to me... save it for the next load, do a second-look for strays before starting the wash, etc. Regardless, any current washing machine should allow you to unlock the lid/door during the cycle.
Old 05-27-2010, 08:29 PM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Originally Posted by svtmike
Not all top loads have an agitator. Mine has a 5.2 cu. ft. capacity, and is a High Efficiency washer. If you're looking for HE, you don't have to restrict your search to front load.
I meant against front-loaders vs. top-loaders with agitators.
Old 05-27-2010, 08:34 PM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Originally Posted by Street Spirit
I have a top-load washer and it doesn't have an agitator. I doubt any H.E. washer does. By specs alone, it is also bigger than most front-load washers, too. Buying a whole new set of expensive machines for things like finding an odd baby sock or onesie just doesn't make sense to me... save it for the next load, do a second-look for strays before starting the wash, etc. Regardless, any current washing machine should allow you to unlock the lid/door during the cycle.
Being an engineer, I don't take major purchases like this very lightly. The reason we're shopping around is that our current washing machine is very erratic and is on the verge of dying.
Old 06-07-2010, 01:03 PM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Just bought these:

http://www.hhgregg.com/ProductDetail...roductID=37007

http://www.hhgregg.com/ProductDetail...roductID=37003