LED Light Bulbs?

Old 12-31-2007, 07:50 AM
Administrator Alumnus

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts
LED Light Bulbs?

Anyone invest in any yet? Do they provide more light than a compact fluorescent?

Reason I ask is I have two large lamps that have CF bulbs, (equivalent to 125W each) and I'd like more light. However, given the CFs are only 35W each, it's a decent amount of light for the power they consume.

Can I get more light with equal power consumption out of LED bulbs?
Old 01-02-2008, 04:54 PM

Received 162 Likes on 134 Posts
I've been wondering about bulbs myself lately. There so many different options these days.

I've heard that incandescent bulbs are supposed to be banned in a few years. Any truth to that?
Old 01-02-2008, 05:13 PM
is learning to moonwalk i

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Scottman111
I've been wondering about bulbs myself lately. There so many different options these days.

I've heard that incandescent bulbs are supposed to be banned in a few years. Any truth to that?
From what I read, they will be "illegal" by 2012. Not sure if that means illegal to manufacture, sell or use. My guess is manufacture, with a phase out time table for selling.

As for using them, I haven't even seen them for sale and haven't ever seen any LEDs that produce "natural" looking light so I'm not in any hurry to switch over to them.
Old 01-02-2008, 06:09 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,989 Likes on 1,412 Posts
Originally Posted by Scrib
Anyone invest in any yet? Do they provide more light than a compact fluorescent?

Reason I ask is I have two large lamps that have CF bulbs, (equivalent to 125W each) and I'd like more light. However, given the CFs are only 35W each, it's a decent amount of light for the power they consume.

Can I get more light with equal power consumption out of LED bulbs?
At lowes, I have seen huge ones that give out about 150 watts of power and use the standard base like in regular ceiling fixtures. The only problem I see with LED's is the focusing of light.
Old 01-02-2008, 06:20 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Originally Posted by moeronn
From what I read, they will be "illegal" by 2012. Not sure if that means illegal to manufacture, sell or use. My guess is manufacture, with a phase out time table for selling.

As for using them, I haven't even seen them for sale and haven't ever seen any LEDs that produce "natural" looking light so I'm not in any hurry to switch over to them.
Only the 100W incad bulb is being "eliminated".
Old 01-02-2008, 07:19 PM
The Third Ball

Received 4,824 Likes on 2,571 Posts
LED > Flourescent.

I hate flourescent lighting and I always will. The company my father works for is supposed to start shipping LED under-cabinet kitchen lighting this month.
Old 01-02-2008, 10:47 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,049 Likes on 1,135 Posts
This link http://www.ccrane.com/lights/led-light-bulbs/index.aspx makes me think that they won't help you.

The bright, white LED light produced by our LED Light Bulbs works especially well for task lighting and reading light. LEDs not only produce light more efficiently, they also have a tiny mirror that reflects light in one direction.
To get familiar with LED light bulbs, we recommend you experiment with different lighting combinations and see how their reduced light output works for you.
Old 01-04-2008, 10:17 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
I recently switched to all CF bulbs. My only gripe is the lag time to "warm" up. Once on they are nice. Id like to know as well about the led home lights(wish they were a bit cheaper)

I do have all led night lights and they are nice
Old 01-04-2008, 10:43 AM
sup

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
can anyone recommend some good CFLs to replace 60-75w bulbs? These are for a closed glass lighting fixture....they need to be the same size as reg. bulbs...i dont want to order something online and have it be the wrong thing.
Old 01-04-2008, 11:31 AM

Received 2,773 Likes on 1,976 Posts
Originally Posted by fsttyms1
I recently switched to all CF bulbs. My only gripe is the lag time to "warm" up. Once on they are nice. Id like to know as well about the led home lights(wish they were a bit cheaper)

same here
Old 01-04-2008, 09:51 PM
You want me to break it?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not a fricking clue about home LED's. Only LEDs I've seen for residential use were Christmas lights and they pretty much sucked butt unless you were within 20 feet then they put out enough light to look ok. Only applications I've seen with LED's for high output involved an array of them (like a dozen or more) to produce the effect - not sure how practical that would be in most of our light sockets.

I have four can lights in my family room, used to have four 100W incandescent bulbs - replaced them with equivalent output flourescent bulbs (at 24 watts each) and reduced energy consumption by 75% - with a subjective improvement in the intensity and color of the light. Now I don't really care if lights are on when I come home and nobody is in the room.

Basically, in my house certain lights tend to get left on by my wife - these get replaced with flourescent bulbs - but yeah, it takes them about 60-75 seconds to reach full intensity which is annoying.
Old 01-05-2008, 12:22 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,049 Likes on 1,135 Posts
Originally Posted by ViperrepiV
can anyone recommend some good CFLs to replace 60-75w bulbs? These are for a closed glass lighting fixture....they need to be the same size as reg. bulbs...i dont want to order something online and have it be the wrong thing.
I forget where I got them (either Home Depot or Walmart), but they now sell ones that have smaller ballasts that make them more or less the same size as a traditional bulb. I put two of them in a hallway light. One issue I didn't expect with the smaller ballast is that after you throw the switch there is a 1 or 2 second delay before they turn on. They then have the normal warm up cycle. Wife doesn't seem to mind.

They were priced the same as the ones with normal ballasts.
Old 01-05-2008, 10:44 PM
I miss my 03 CL-S :(

Received 445 Likes on 214 Posts
Somewhat OT but while we're on the topic of CFLs, 2 stories from the BBC:

Low-energy bulbs 'worsen rashes'
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/7170246.stm

Low-energy bulb disposal warning
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/7172662.stm
Old 01-05-2008, 11:08 PM
The Third Ball

Received 4,824 Likes on 2,571 Posts
Just add that to the list of reasons why flourescents suck.
Old 01-06-2008, 02:09 AM
nnInn

Received 1,084 Likes on 646 Posts
Originally Posted by fsttyms1

This pisses me off, if you have to turn the light on for just a few seconds and leave the room. I have a couple of CF spotlight blubs in the spot lights in the basement, they take forever to come and don't last worth crap. I've started just putting regular CF blubs in.
Old 07-28-2008, 06:46 PM
I feel the need...

Received 515 Likes on 363 Posts
Fans of L.E.D.’s Say This Bulb’s Time Has Come

When the Sentry Equipment Corporation in Oconomowoc, Wis., was considering how to light its new factory last year, the company’s president, Michael Farrell, decided to try something new: light emitting diodes, or L.E.D.’s.

“I knew L.E.D.’s were used in stoplights. I wondered why they can’t be used in buildings,” Mr. Farrell said. “So I went on a mission.”

What Mr. Farrell found was a light source that many of the biggest bulb manufacturers are now convinced will supplant incandescent bulbs and compact fluorescent bulbs.

By lighting all of the building’s exterior and most of its interior with L.E.D.’s, Sentry spent $12,000 more than the $6,000 needed to light the facility with a mixture of incandescent and fluorescent bulbs. But using L.E.D.’s, the company is saving $7,000 a year in energy costs, will not need to change a bulb for 20 years and will recoup its additional investment in less than two years.....
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/28/te...prod=permalink
Old 07-28-2008, 06:47 PM
I feel the need...

Originally Posted by Sarlacc
I don't think the avg consumer understands the mercury contamination risk of CFL's. Good thing the Gov't is mandating a phase out of irridescents then.
Old 07-28-2008, 06:50 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

LED is the future of lighting...bank on it.

California's Title-24 energy requirements will have fluorescent replaced by LED within a couple of years.

I've done some projects where the parking lot lighting was all done in LED ....not to mention LED interior lighting is
Old 07-28-2008, 06:52 PM
it's me, Alan Rickman.

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
To the OP - sorry about my long stupid rant.. check these out:
http://www.superbrightleds.com/MR16_specs.htm

The CFL law is stupid and I refuse to do it; first of all.. CFL light output isn't the same as regular bulbs, and the fact that when a CFL breaks you have to evacuate the room for 15 minutes, get fresh air into it, turn off your HVAC system so you dont spread mercuy vapor around, is total bullshit. You cannot use a vacuum to clean up the broken glass as it may cause harmful vapors to get into the air. It's stupid.

AND YOU CAN'T DIM THEM! SO THEY ARE THE SUCK

Regular bulbs or LEDs are fine with me; CFLs.. heck no.. also none of them are made in the USA and are anti-americanecnomoyish.

From EPA.gov:

Before Clean-up: Air Out the Room

Have people and pets leave the room, and don't let anyone walk through the breakage area on their way out.
Open a window and leave the room for 15 minutes or more.
Shut off the central forced-air heating/air conditioning system, if you have one.
Clean-Up Steps for Hard Surfaces

Carefully scoop up glass pieces and powder using stiff paper or cardboard and place them in a glass jar with metal lid (such as a canning jar) or in a sealed plastic bag.
Use sticky tape, such as duct tape, to pick up any remaining small glass fragments and powder.
Wipe the area clean with damp paper towels or disposable wet wipes. Place towels in the glass jar or plastic bag.
Do not use a vacuum or broom to clean up the broken bulb on hard surfaces.
Clean-up Steps for Carpeting or Rug

Carefully pick up glass fragments and place them in a glass jar with metal lid (such as a canning jar) or in a sealed plastic bag.
Use sticky tape, such as duct tape, to pick up any remaining small glass fragments and powder.
If vacuuming is needed after all visible materials are removed, vacuum the area where the bulb was broken.
Remove the vacuum bag (or empty and wipe the canister), and put the bag or vacuum debris in a sealed plastic bag.
Clean-up Steps for Clothing, Bedding and Other Soft Materials

If clothing or bedding materials come in direct contact with broken glass or mercury-containing powder from inside the bulb that may stick to the fabric, the clothing or bedding should be thrown away. Do not wash such clothing or bedding because mercury fragments in the clothing may contaminate the machine and/or pollute sewage.
You can, however, wash clothing or other materials that have been exposed to the mercury vapor from a broken CFL, such as the clothing you are wearing when you cleaned up the broken CFL, as long as that clothing has not come into direct contact with the materials from the broken bulb.
If shoes come into direct contact with broken glass or mercury-containing powder from the bulb, wipe them off with damp paper towels or disposable wet wipes. Place the towels or wipes in a glass jar or plastic bag for disposal.
Disposal of Clean-up Materials

Immediately place all clean-up materials outdoors in a trash container or protected area for the next normal trash pickup.
Wash your hands after disposing of the jars or plastic bags containing clean-up materials.
Check with your local or state government about disposal requirements in your specific area. Some states do not allow such trash disposal. Instead, they require that broken and unbroken mercury-containing bulbs be taken to a local recycling center.
Future Cleaning of Carpeting or Rug: Air Out the Room During and After Vacuuming

The next several times you vacuum, shut off the central forced-air heating/air conditioning system and open a window before vacuuming.
Keep the central heating/air conditioning system shut off and the window open for at least 15 minutes after vacuuming is completed.
Old 07-28-2008, 06:53 PM
I feel the need...

Have you guys seen this company? Caught a snippet in a recent copy of Businessweek - looks pretty cool, can't wait to buy some of these.

http://www.frogdesign.com/case-study...b-concept.html
Old 07-28-2008, 06:59 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by fleshy
To the OP - sorry about my long stupid rant.. check these out:
http://www.superbrightleds.com/MR16_specs.htm

The CFL law is stupid and I refuse to do it; first of all.. CFL light output isn't the same as regular bulbs, and the fact that when a CFL breaks you have to evacuate the room for 15 minutes, get fresh air into it, turn off your HVAC system so you dont spread mercuy vapor around, is total bullshit. You cannot use a vacuum to clean up the broken glass as it may cause harmful vapors to get into the air. It's stupid.

AND YOU CAN'T DIM THEM! SO THEY ARE THE SUCK

Regular bulbs or LEDs are fine with me; CFLs.. heck no.. also none of them are made in the USA and are anti-americanecnomoyish.

From EPA.gov:

Before Clean-up: Air Out the Room

Have people and pets leave the room, and don't let anyone walk through the breakage area on their way out.
Open a window and leave the room for 15 minutes or more.
Shut off the central forced-air heating/air conditioning system, if you have one.
Clean-Up Steps for Hard Surfaces

Carefully scoop up glass pieces and powder using stiff paper or cardboard and place them in a glass jar with metal lid (such as a canning jar) or in a sealed plastic bag.
Wipe the area clean with damp paper towels or disposable wet wipes. Place towels in the glass jar or plastic bag.
Do not use a vacuum or broom to clean up the broken bulb on hard surfaces.
Clean-up Steps for Carpeting or Rug

Carefully pick up glass fragments and place them in a glass jar with metal lid (such as a canning jar) or in a sealed plastic bag.
If vacuuming is needed after all visible materials are removed, vacuum the area where the bulb was broken.
Remove the vacuum bag (or empty and wipe the canister), and put the bag or vacuum debris in a sealed plastic bag.
Clean-up Steps for Clothing, Bedding and Other Soft Materials

If clothing or bedding materials come in direct contact with broken glass or mercury-containing powder from inside the bulb that may stick to the fabric, the clothing or bedding should be thrown away. Do not wash such clothing or bedding because mercury fragments in the clothing may contaminate the machine and/or pollute sewage.
You can, however, wash clothing or other materials that have been exposed to the mercury vapor from a broken CFL, such as the clothing you are wearing when you cleaned up the broken CFL, as long as that clothing has not come into direct contact with the materials from the broken bulb.
If shoes come into direct contact with broken glass or mercury-containing powder from the bulb, wipe them off with damp paper towels or disposable wet wipes. Place the towels or wipes in a glass jar or plastic bag for disposal.
Disposal of Clean-up Materials

Immediately place all clean-up materials outdoors in a trash container or protected area for the next normal trash pickup.
Wash your hands after disposing of the jars or plastic bags containing clean-up materials.
Check with your local or state government about disposal requirements in your specific area. Some states do not allow such trash disposal. Instead, they require that broken and unbroken mercury-containing bulbs be taken to a local recycling center.
Future Cleaning of Carpeting or Rug: Air Out the Room During and After Vacuuming

The next several times you vacuum, shut off the central forced-air heating/air conditioning system and open a window before vacuuming.
Keep the central heating/air conditioning system shut off and the window open for at least 15 minutes after vacuuming is completed.
Those bulbs are stupid and I would especially not want them around kids.
Old 07-28-2008, 08:15 PM
registered pw

Received 354 Likes on 252 Posts
cfl suck. they are way too dim
Old 07-31-2008, 03:09 PM
5o9
'05 TSX 6MT

90% of my lights are dimmable. Electrician tells me that while they sell dimmable CFs, there is no UL listed dimmer available for them. He says he won't install them, and my insurance may not cover the fire.

I asked him for some LEDs. He said they are low voltage, and he would have to install transformers in the basement, and the project would cost 5x anything else.

Sticking with the energy hog halogens, except for under-counter, going with low voltage xenons.

The time for pure white LEDs at a reasonable price might be 20 years away. Looks like I can't afford to save money on electricity
Old 07-31-2008, 03:30 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

^^ Your electrician is a clown.

http://www.amazon.com/DIMMABLE-Compa.../dp/B000NQ1RR6
Old 07-31-2008, 04:51 PM
is learning to moonwalk i

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
Read his post again.
Old 07-31-2008, 05:53 PM
it's me, Alan Rickman.

Originally Posted by 5o9
90% of my lights are dimmable. Electrician tells me that while they sell dimmable CFs, there is no UL listed dimmer available for them. He says he won't install them, and my insurance may not cover the fire.

I asked him for some LEDs. He said they are low voltage, and he would have to install transformers in the basement, and the project would cost 5x anything else.

Sticking with the energy hog halogens, except for under-counter, going with low voltage xenons.

The time for pure white LEDs at a reasonable price might be 20 years away. Looks like I can't afford to save money on electricity

RE: The low voltage; any LED bulb replacement would have internal transformers or resistors built in so I don't think rewiring would be required; however it will still be using 120v, and to drop it down to 5v or 3v for the LEDs would require heat sinks for said equipment, which means massive heat dissapation.. probably why they warn excessive heat [ie putting the LED bulb in a sealed box] will shorten the life span.

So I guess the question, is a LED replacement bulb more efficient than a CFL?
Old 07-31-2008, 06:03 PM
I feel the need...

So I guess the question, is a LED replacement bulb more efficient than a CFL?
Yes, and they will last 30 years. Problem is they are not widely available yet.
Old 07-31-2008, 06:07 PM
it's me, Alan Rickman.

Originally Posted by Fibonacci
Yes, and they will last 30 years. Problem is they are not widely available yet.

Unless they fail due to over heating.. !

You're saying with all that heat loss they're still more efficient?

Don't get me wrong, even with the heat loss I'd rather have LED vs. CFL but i'm curious if people are assuming LED replacement "bulbs" are more efficient because in practice.. they are.. but are they efficient in a 120v household setup?
Old 07-31-2008, 06:16 PM
I feel the need...

^^ See post #20
Old 07-31-2008, 06:41 PM
it's me, Alan Rickman.

^^ See post #20

Right, that's a concept of an LED light bulb; you can't buy it yet so it's hard to compare things to it; Scrib is talking about a viable replacement now I think.. not in a few years.
Old 07-31-2008, 06:43 PM
I feel the need...

Exactly, which is why I said "I can't wait to buy some of these!"
Old 07-31-2008, 06:54 PM
it's me, Alan Rickman.

Exactly, which is why I said "I can't wait to buy some of these!"

Then answer my original question damnit!! :p
Old 07-31-2008, 07:07 PM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Received 2,000 Likes on 1,173 Posts
LED bulbs are going to cost a hell of a lot more than even the CFLs. Mainly because you are not going to be replacing them very often, so the manufacturer has to make the money from the original sale, rather than the replacement sale every couple of years.
Old 08-01-2008, 12:25 PM

Received 162 Likes on 134 Posts
Originally Posted by stogie1020
LED bulbs are going to cost a hell of a lot more than even the CFLs. Mainly because you are not going to be replacing them very often, so the manufacturer has to make the money from the original sale, rather than the replacement sale every couple of years.

The manufacturer is worried about making money first, not efficiency or saving energy.
Old 08-01-2008, 12:33 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Originally Posted by moeronn
Read his post again.
Those are UL listed dimmer CFL
Old 08-02-2008, 08:52 PM
I feel the need...

Originally Posted by Scottman111
The manufacturer is worried about making money first, not efficiency or saving energy.
Manufacturers generally aren't in the business of losing money. Being environmentally friendly and making money are not mutually exclusive.
Old 08-02-2008, 11:09 PM
Making it Happen

Originally Posted by Sarlacc
Why do you hate flourescents? I feel the light output is much clearer and brighter. I have the daylight flourescents, 26W in a floor lamp that holds 3 of them and my whole 11x13 room is perfectly bright at night
Old 08-03-2008, 01:24 AM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Received 2,000 Likes on 1,173 Posts
^it is a weird light cast, and I can't seem to find ones that have he "correct" brightness. The "Daylights" are too bright and the mid-level ones are to dark. Dimmer would be nice...

Don't get me wrong, they are all over my house, I just don't particularly like them...
Old 08-03-2008, 01:52 AM
it's me, Alan Rickman.

Not a big fan of the color they produce; traditional bulbs just have a cleaner light output to me.. not all.. purpley and stuff like in an office building; feels like cheapo lighting!
Old 08-03-2008, 09:30 AM
Making it Happen

Not a big fan of the color they produce; traditional bulbs just have a cleaner light output to me.. not all.. purpley and stuff like in an office building; feels like cheapo lighting!
Are you sure you are getting the right ones? No purple tinge in mine just white lighting. 26W GE Daylight.

Quick Reply: LED Light Bulbs?