Lawn care issues...bare spots.

Old 07-08-2005, 03:23 PM
I feel the need...

Received 515 Likes on 363 Posts
Lawn care issues...bare spots.

Okay, so after six years of pouring money and sweat equity into the interior of my home it's time to renew my long neglected lawn.

My backyard is in great shape because it's well shaded by a dozen mature trees, but my front lawn is a whole 'nutha story. I've got some patchy spots with dead grass and spots where grass is not filling in no matter what I try. Used to have a "professional" lawn care service, but had it discontinued after little improvement.

Tried the Scott's pre-made Green Patch - didn't work...

Tried overseeding with Scott's Premium 'Sun' Seed mix...worked fine in the spring, but as soon as the weather got hot - the grass died again. WTF!

Another problem - I've caught the same neighborhood bitch let her dog piss on my front lawn multiple times...The first time I gave her the benefit of the doubt. The second time I gave her a dirty look and she pretended not to see me and slunk away. The third time I hammered the car horn nice and long and she ran away. For you dog owners - what is considered common courtesy on dog pissing?

Anyway's at wit's end - my lawn looks like crap and other than having it resodded I'm back to square one...

Suggestions?
Old 07-08-2005, 03:27 PM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by PistonFan
Okay, so after six years of pouring money and sweat equity into the interior of my home it's time to renew my long neglected lawn.

My backyard is in great shape because it's well shaded by a dozen mature trees, but my front lawn is a whole 'nutha story. I've got some patchy spots with dead grass and spots where grass is not filling in no matter what I try. Used to have a "professional" lawn care service, but had it discontinued after little improvement.

Tried overseeding with Scott's Premium 'Sun' Seed mix...worked fine in the spring, but as soon as the weather got hot - the grass died again. WTF!

Another problem - I've caught the same neighborhood bitch let her dog piss on my front lawn multiple times...The first time I gave her the benefit of the doubt. The second time I gave her a dirty look and she pretended not to see me and slunk away. The third time I hammered the car horn nice and long and she ran away. For you dog owners - what is considered common courtesy on dog pissing?

Anyway's at wit's end - my lawn looks like crap and other than having it resodded I'm back to square one...

Suggestions?

I had the same problems this spring. The bare patches were from over fertilizing last summer. So early this spring I layed new sod, not seeds but a new roll of grass. Lots of water and 2 weeks later you couldn't even tell the new grass was there.

I never let my dog piss on others peoples front lawns. He usually goes on trees, posts and hydrants anyway.
Old 07-08-2005, 03:28 PM
_

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what kind of grass do you have?
Old 07-08-2005, 03:31 PM
I feel the need...

Originally Posted by CLeanATL
what kind of grass do you have?

I really have no idea - how do you tell?

Should I go buy a Lawncare for dummies book?
Old 07-08-2005, 03:33 PM
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
I'm a new home owner and I've learned a lot about lawns since I bought my house. First I did the weed and feed on my lawn - typical guy, I figured if a little is good a lot is better. I burned the sh*t out of my lawn in spots. I tried reseeding but nothing would grow. I had to rototiller the dead spots about a foot down, then put an inch of compost over it and re-rototiilled it to mix it all in. Then I seeded with a rye-grass mix w/ a little Kentucky blue grass in it. Watered it early in the morning and my lawn is perfect now.

As for the dog pee. Urine will burn the grass. If it does you need to over water those areas. Just use a hose with no sprinkler or sprayer and let the water run over the spots for 15 min. a day for a week. That flushes out the acidity and the grass should come back.
Old 07-08-2005, 03:33 PM
I feel the need...

Originally Posted by dom
I had the same problems this spring. The bare patches were from over fertilizing last summer. So early this spring I layed new sod, not seeds but a new roll of grass. Lots of water and 2 weeks later you couldn't even tell the new grass was there.

I never let my dog piss on others peoples front lawns. He usually goes on trees, posts and hydrants anyway.

I'm assuming you did it yourself - how difficult was it to tear out your old sod? What tools did you use? What was the approx cost per sq yard for new sod (USD equivalent)?

Also, how the heck can you prevent dogs from pissing on your new lawn???
Old 07-08-2005, 03:35 PM
_

I really have no idea - how do you tell?
look at it. try google images and see if you can find a match.
Old 07-08-2005, 03:37 PM
Administrator Alumnus

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts
http://forums.lawncare.com/forum/index.cfm?forumid=1

You will probably have more success over there. I post there sometimes.

It could be bad soil, a fungus, a pest... I was going to say grubs when I saw the title, but that doesn't sound like it.

How big is your yard? Re-sodding isn't the world's worst idea, especially if your lawn is long gone. Wait until fall and rip it up... Have an irrigation system installed and then follow the Scott's five step program.

I'll snap some pics of my lawn later on... It's something I take a lot of pride over.
Old 07-08-2005, 03:39 PM
Administrator Alumnus

My guess is he has Kentucky Bluegrass... The others don't do all that well that far north. It COULD be zoysia... Does the grass green up pretty early in the spring? If so, it's not zoysia.
Team Owner

Received 2,059 Likes on 1,143 Posts
I have found that a female dog will burn the hell out of grass, while a male dog doesn't. why?
Homeless

Re-sodding is a big step.

I'd try getting a load of composte/lawn soil mix and raking that over your lawn, then re-seeding and watering the hell outta the grass.

When I get soil of this type, it's about $200 for 10 yards...enough to lightly cover about .25 acre. Stuff is really rich and makes the grass really green & grow like crazy...lasts about 2 seasons by itself, but it might just be the kick-start you need for the healthy grass to really shoot up and take hold.
Old 07-08-2005, 03:41 PM
Administrator Alumnus

I'm assuming you did it yourself - how difficult was it to tear out your old sod? What tools did you use? What was the approx cost per sq yard for new sod (USD equivalent)?

Also, how the heck can you prevent dogs from pissing on your new lawn???

It depends on how much sod you need. You can rent a sod cutter from Home Depot for $30/day. That goes down about 3" and pulls everything up...

The cost for sod depends on how much you buy (DUH)... Around here, if you buy over 300 yards, it's $1.32 direct from the sod farm. If you buy one roll at the nursery, it's about $1.99... So figure somewhere in there for a price.
Old 07-08-2005, 03:41 PM
Homeless

Originally Posted by Scrib
My guess is he has Kentucky Bluegrass... The others don't do all that well that far north. It COULD be zoysia... Does the grass green up pretty early in the spring? If so, it's not zoysia.
Yep, sounds like bluegrass...stuff is really thin & green...does well until the heat starts up.

Fescue is great(Scotts) but isn't so soft on the ol feet. I try to blend them when I'm re-seeding.

Home Depot carries a good line of seed/fertilizer called Vigaro...less expensive than Scotts and I've found it works just as well.
Old 07-08-2005, 03:44 PM
I feel the need...

Good stuff here - thanks.

I'm gonna try Chef's advice first.

Last resort, the new sod route since we're looking for maximum curb appeal for a possible home sale next spring.

PistonFan: who can't tell the difference between a flower from a weed most times.
Old 07-08-2005, 03:47 PM
Team Owner

We once had a problem with a woman letting her dog shit on our grass.

My dad made up of a couple of cool signs and dropped them in the lawn. If you can picture this it was a "no dog shit" sign with dog taking a dump (complete with shit falling out of its ass) and a "no" symbol through it.

They worked.
Old 07-08-2005, 03:51 PM
Banned

PistonFan: who can't tell the difference between a flower from a weed most times.
Buy a condo.

Everybody's grass is brown around here.
Needs water!
Old 07-08-2005, 03:51 PM
I feel the need...

Originally Posted by doopstr
We once had a problem with a woman letting her dog shit on our grass.

My dad made up of a couple of cool signs and dropped them in the lawn. If you can picture this it was a "no dog shit" sign with dog taking a dump (complete with shit falling out of its ass) and a "no" symbol through it.

They worked.

That's great -- but I thought doggy poo wasn't so bad (fertilizer). It's the acids in urine that do the damage.

Wonder if the signs almost invite the opposite reaction though, know I always reacted that way when told NOT to do something.
Old 07-08-2005, 04:01 PM
Team Owner

That's great -- but I thought doggy poo wasn't so bad (fertilizer). It's the acids in urine that do the damage.
Ever accidentally run a lawnmower through a pile of dog poo? All I can say is
Old 07-08-2005, 04:13 PM
4-8-15-16-23-42

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
To keep dogs from "using ur lawn", mothballs and/or red pepper works well, but you have to use a lot of red pepper - great if you have a small lawn.

For extra green grass: BEER does amazing things.
Old 07-08-2005, 04:15 PM
I feel the need...

Originally Posted by doopstr
Ever accidentally run a lawnmower through a pile of dog poo? All I can say is

Heh - I've got a mulching mower, just turns the poo into a nice malt for teh lawn.
Old 07-08-2005, 04:17 PM
I feel the need...

Originally Posted by swclown
For extra green grass: BEER does amazing things.

Are you serious??? Sounds like alcohol abuse to me.
Old 07-08-2005, 04:18 PM
4-8-15-16-23-42

Suggestions?
The patch stuff is actually pretty good. I was very skeptical at first, but it works very well if you do it right.
You HAVE to water it like EVERY day until it starts growing and then often until it reaches the height of the rest of the grass.

Also, Scott's products are the only thing I use, but for some reason the patch stuff has some weed seeds where as their seed by itself doesn't. But when they're young weeds they're easy to spot and remove.

( :
Old 07-08-2005, 04:22 PM
I feel the need...

What about teh beer fed lawn??? You're ARE joking right? If M TYPE X agrees, I know it's safe to continue slurping rather than dripping on the lawn...
Old 07-08-2005, 04:27 PM
4-8-15-16-23-42

Are you serious??? Sounds like alcohol abuse to me.
Very...

I got a book of home remedy stuff for your lawn written by some old dude.
The next year instead he came out with a new catalog with potions -- but it was just the same stuff he used mixed together and I already had all of his remedies.

Beer is like candy to my grass. I just go but like 10 Forty Ozs of the cheapest beer I can get and put it in a sprayer with some dishwashing detergent and cola

The detergent rinses off stuff that just water doesn't and allows the blades to "breathe" better... and the phosphates help as well.
The cola has caffienne and sugar both of which seem to be good especially young grass.
The beer ... you got me but it make the grass turn a healthy floresent green....but too much and mushrooms will sprout - not that big of a deal though.

About 6 years ago my grass was more clover, dandelion, and dirt more then anything. IT LOOKED HORIBLE. After one summer I got it like a golf course - that being said -- I wasn't working at the time so I had a lot of free time, but all I used were the home remedies.
Now I'm working so I don't have the same amount of time and I'll take shortcuts like actual fertilizer and it still looks awesome but it always looks better the day after a couple of cold ones LOL

I'll see if I can find a before and an after pic a little later
Old 07-08-2005, 04:33 PM
I feel the need...

Beer is like candy to my grass. I just go but like 10 Forty Ozs of the cheapest beer I can get and put it in a sprayer with some dishwashing detergent and cola

I'm pretty sure either you're on crack or you're whack. How can alcohol - which is essentially poison. Detergent - not ph balanced for biological growth. And Cola - which is sugar water and carbonation be possibly good for a lawn?
Old 07-08-2005, 04:56 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
Also try watering the lawn in the evening. It's cooler and the sun's gone, so the grass will retain more of the water than if you were to water it during the day. 30 minutes every other evening is a good regimen.
Old 07-08-2005, 05:09 PM
4-8-15-16-23-42

I'm pretty sure either you're on crack or you're whack. How can alcohol - which is essentially poison. Detergent - not ph balanced for biological growth. And Cola - which is sugar water and carbonation be possibly good for a lawn?
http://doityourself.com/gardenmaint/...gardencare.htm

My neighbors call me "The Lawn Ranger" as in Lone Ranger LOL

trust me ( ;
Old 07-08-2005, 05:11 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Originally Posted by phile
Also try watering the lawn in the evening. It's cooler and the sun's gone, so the grass will retain more of the water than if you were to water it during the day. 30 minutes every other evening is a good regimen.
30 minutes? That's like a small flood.
Old 07-08-2005, 05:12 PM
Pinky all stinky

Originally Posted by Moog-Type-S
30 minutes? That's like a small flood.
Every other day, though.
Old 07-08-2005, 05:13 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Lawn Tonic:
1 can of beer
1 cup of liquid dish washing soap...{not liquid detergent}
2 cups of ammonia
1 cup of molasses or corn syrup
1/2 cup of liquid lawn food
Apply evenly to the entire lawn every two to three weeks in early evenings and water in well. All recipes are designed to cover 2500 square feet of lawn surface area. Measure you lawn and adjust recipes as needed.
Gonna have to try one of these

...oh wait a minute..that's for the lawn
Old 07-08-2005, 05:13 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Every other day, though.
Gotcha
Old 07-08-2005, 05:22 PM
Homeless

Actually, I've seen that old dude on TV...seems to know his shit. And, it sounds crazy, but I've seen others recommend detergent on grass/bushes to ward off bugs, etc.'

And phile...NEVER WATER A LAWN AT NIGHT. You will be promoting mold/mildew. Water in the early morning so the water has time to soak in and dry on the surface. Also, never water in the midday sun, you will shock your lawn.
Old 07-08-2005, 05:33 PM
Pinky all stinky

Originally Posted by chef chris

And phile...NEVER WATER A LAWN AT NIGHT. You will be promoting mold/mildew. Water in the early morning so the water has time to soak in and dry on the surface. Also, never water in the midday sun, you will shock your lawn.
I don't know, that was advice given to me a long time ago, and it has worked quite well
Old 07-08-2005, 05:43 PM
4-8-15-16-23-42

I don't know, that was advice given to me a long time ago, and it has worked quite well

The evening is ok before it gets really dark. Night time isn't good, but I've done it when I had no other choice, but like Chris said the morning is the best time before and while the sun is just coming up.
I mostly do evenings though out of laziness.
Old 07-08-2005, 05:45 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
I've had good luck with compost (I make my own) and overseeding that I did at the beginning of the season. Barespots are slowly going away, but I've neglected the lawn most of the season (no pre-emergence, fertilizer, grub killer, weed killer).

I bookmarked this post from the garden web lawncare forum as it mentions some stuff that I want to try.

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/...437499.html?40

Resodding is one way out, but I've seen some yards that have been reclaimed with just reseeding...
Old 07-08-2005, 09:36 PM
Homeless

Yeah, I'm guilty of it myself every once in a great while...and like clown said, as long as it's not TOO late in the evening, it's not a big deal.
Old 07-11-2005, 06:48 PM
I feel the need...

http://doityourself.com/gardenmaint/...gardencare.htm

My neighbors call me "The Lawn Ranger" as in Lone Ranger LOL

trust me ( ;

This stuff sounds crazy, but I'm gonna try it. Reminds me of the Haley's Hints guy that I see on PBS occasionally.

Now if I can only find a way to keep the neigborhood bitch from letting her dog piss on my lawn...
Old 07-11-2005, 10:07 PM
Burning Brakes

Dog poo isn't so bad. A good dog owner will pick it up. IF they leave it on your lawn, AND you can do some detective work to find out who it is, I'd put it in a bag, write a note saying "You were so kind to leave this on my lawn so I'm now returning it. If you leave it again, I will be so kind as to leave it for you inside your house or on your window."

If the dog is peeing, it's sort of a bitch of a problem. You just have to water it to death as someone mentioned.
Old 07-11-2005, 10:36 PM
Health's Angels

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
give it a really good soaking, like a couple hours, twice a week. If you water for short periods frequently, it encourage shallow root growth and makes your grass vulnerbale to drought & frost.

Also, sounds like you may have cinch bugs , dig down a few inches and see if you find any of them.
Old 07-11-2005, 10:38 PM
Banned

Sorry PF, I'm not a beer-drinker. If you really think it works, get all your buddies over Ann Arbor style and have them drink and piss all over it. I'm sure the wife will love that.

Quick Reply: Lawn care issues...bare spots.