house painting?

Old 07-28-2010, 08:20 AM
Safety Car

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts
Question house painting?

Anyone have an idea about what is a fair price? My house really isn't that big; its a 1794 sq foot ranch with the most of the front being brick.

There was this one guy who said he would do it for $500 and I would have to buy the paint and supplies. He had already pressure washed the house and driveway. However he turned out to be quite unprofessional and would break appointments to fix other things around the house without so much as a call. So he is out.

The most expensive quote I got was from a company called Bear Mountain Painting and they wanted close to $3000. Which seemed kind of high.

Prices seem to be all over the place and I'm not sure on how much or how little I should spend. $500 seemed kind of low and was a little uneasy about the quality of work he would do even though he did do a good job with the pressure washing.

Questions:

Anyone in the Atlanta area have good/bad experiences with local painters?

How much is too much (too little)?

Any advice on going with a big company, small company, independent contractor?

Last edited by WdnUlik2no; 07-28-2010 at 08:23 AM.
Old 07-28-2010, 10:30 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
Obviously check with people you know who have had painting done. If you get a reference list from a painter, call them. Be sure to ask when the work was done. It all looks the same after a few months; quality work manifests itself after a few years. If you know anybody with Angie's List, hit them up for painters (I'm assuming they have an Atlanta list).

Surprisingly, painting isn't as cheap as you'd think it should be. I had my house painted seven years ago and the price was about half of what it would've been to put up vinyl siding. I got quotes again a couple of years ago, and it was the same situation.

If you plan on being there more than five years, I'd recommend getting vinyl or Rhino Shield, if you can afford it. If you're going to be there less than five years, take the cheapest quote.
Old 07-28-2010, 06:21 PM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts
Depending on difficulty of design and surface problems, $1200-1800 sounds about right + paint. Make sure to check past job references and have a completion date with daily penalties in the contract.