hot water pipe keeps leaking

Old 01-28-2009, 10:53 PM
7thGenAccord

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hot water pipe keeps leaking

I need some help. The hot water pipe at my house keeps on leaking. The copper pipes running from the hot water tank developed some cavities. We solder the cavity and another cavity would develop. So far, there has been a leak in 3 different locations. Luckily, it has only been the copper pipes running in the attic of the garage. The house is about 4 years and couple months old. The first time it leak was in July of 08. The 2nd and 3rd leak happened last week. Can someone explain to me how copper pipes develop these small cavity?
Old 01-28-2009, 10:54 PM
Unofficial Goat

Received 112 Likes on 89 Posts
take pics and post.
Old 01-29-2009, 10:07 AM
Matt

+2 on pics! You've got my attention by describing "cavities" in 4 y/o copper. This is the pipe feeding the house from the hot water heater?
Old 01-29-2009, 10:50 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Let Me Google That For You

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Water-Qua...aks-copper.htm
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_can_yo..._a_copper_pipe
http://advice.thisoldhouse.com/showthread.php?t=2604
Old 01-29-2009, 11:35 AM
Matt

WTF is this? Our Acurazine rambling questions are being outsourced to Google?
Old 02-02-2009, 07:22 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by xjdmb16a2six
I need some help. The hot water pipe at my house keeps on leaking. The copper pipes running from the hot water tank developed some cavities. We solder the cavity and another cavity would develop. So far, there has been a leak in 3 different locations. Luckily, it has only been the copper pipes running in the attic of the garage. The house is about 4 years and couple months old. The first time it leak was in July of 08. The 2nd and 3rd leak happened last week. Can someone explain to me how copper pipes develop these small cavity?
One possible way I know of is if installer used too much solder/flux when he/she sweat soldered the pipe fittings. If this happens you end up with beads of solder inside your pipes and an acid! (picture little ball bearings sitting inside of your pipe). Now depending on how heavy the beads of solder are they can hang out in one area of the pipe and just bang around against the walls of the pipe whenever the water is flowing. Cooper is a pretty soft metal, so the solder beads banging against the pipe will slowly wear it out.

Although from NSTNEXT's URL

The known causes are: 1.) Water condition - PH, mineral content or lack of, dissolve gases, microorganisms etc. 2.) Excessive flux used in the soldering of the pipes. 3.) Water velocity in the pipes - Copper gets a thin green coating this actually inhibits further corrosion. If the velocity of the water is too high due to undersized pipes being used the green coating may be eroded causing further corrosion. 4.) Electrolysis - you are correct in assuming that the stray millivolts may have something to do with your problem. Stray voltages may be from improper grounding, of electrical, cable tv, phone. Or, leakages of current from water heaters, circulator pumps, well water pumps, boilers etc. 5.) dissimilar metals used on the piping or in contact with piping can also be a problem we all have seen where a lazy hack has used steel strap to hang a copper pipe or used a black iron nipple because he was to lazy to head for the supply house when he was 1 short for the job.
If you understand electrolysis you could just ground a multi-meter to the nearest electrical socket then trace the copper pipe to see if there is any stray voltage leaks... it'd be pretty easy to do. But if none of this makes sense to you call a pumper who is who is familiar with this type of problem...

Also, if it's from acidic water (too soft) your neighbors would have the same problems... Talk to them and see if they have problems as well.
Old 02-02-2009, 07:39 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by STL+3.0CL
WTF is this? Our Acurazine rambling questions are being outsourced to Google?
And soon your job as well!