Is Home Depot shafting shoppers?

Old 03-07-2007, 05:47 PM
Doesn't Rice His Car

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Is Home Depot shafting shoppers?

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com....aspx?GT1=9215

I can relate to his part... happened to me just the other day.

Here's the excerpt:
Consistent abuser of customers' time
But I'd like to suggest a much bigger reason that Home Depot has become a troubled and unloved company. I call it time abuse.

Home Depot is a consistent abuser of its customers' time. Let me explain.

Back in 1990, when my wife and I loved Home Depot, the stores were staffed with well-trained, knowledgeable and helpful people. If you had a question, even a silly one, it was easy to find someone who knew the answer. Home Depot had an amazing inventory. It also had a staff that helped you access that inventory and make choices.

Though it didn't have employees waiting at the door, as do high-service stores such as Elliot's in Dallas and Big Jo in Santa Fe, you could make a purchase quickly at Home Depot.

But that was then.

Today, it is difficult to find a staff person at a Home Depot. Personally, I've left the store empty-handed after a hopeless wait. During one long wait shortly before Christmas, I commented to a worker that the store was so busy they must be getting lots of overtime.

"No way," the employee said.

My wife has gotten so frustrated waiting -- while trying to buy carpeting for an entire house -- that she has taken her business elsewhere.

I know we're not alone. One of my friends started to seethe when I mentioned Home Depot. He'll buy things almost anywhere, except Home Depot. He hates having his time abused.
Thoughts?
Old 03-07-2007, 06:11 PM
registered pw

Received 354 Likes on 252 Posts
it's true the wife and i shop at lowes
Old 03-07-2007, 06:35 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Its true at both the Lakewood and Signal Hill stores. There aren't that many employees and a whole bunch of shoppers. Its fine if I just stroll in and get something but a PITA if I need help with anything. Our local Lowes is much more customer firendly (and a lot cleaner).
Old 03-07-2007, 06:37 PM
_____ like a rabbit

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Menard's>Home Depot

<-- Menard's employee
The following users liked this post:
YeuEmMaiMai (08-23-2011)
Old 03-07-2007, 06:44 PM
CTS-V Import Slayer

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
We have a home depot, Lowes, and Menards...all within about two miles....HD and Menards within 1/4 of each other...so I go to em all. Menards has what I need more times than not. I about start there anymore just to save time.
Old 03-07-2007, 06:57 PM
Team Owner

Received 3,864 Likes on 2,031 Posts
Home Depot has really slid downhill. I now shop at Lowes first.

Never liked Menards, and it was because of the store layouts and merchandise (really bad 2x4's) not the old retard in the ads.
Old 03-07-2007, 07:12 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Home Depot is full of morons for employees.
The vast majority can't answer even the simple questions...and most of the time have no idea where materials & products are located within the store.

I quit going to Home Depot a long time ago.....Lowe's is better...not the best...but better.
Old 03-07-2007, 08:25 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Yeah, HD is going downhill... I know more about some of the stuff there then the employees...

There's rumors that Lowes is coming to my town... I hope it's true...
Old 03-07-2007, 09:10 PM
Pre-Registered Member

Received 246 Likes on 150 Posts
I hate Home Depot. shop at Lowes.
Old 03-07-2007, 09:20 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,072 Likes on 1,149 Posts
Lowes>Home Depot but not by much. HD is closer so I shop there. However I will goto Lowes for power tools.

It's very difficult to get a hold of someone in HD. So I rarely try unless forced too. I have needed an employee there twice. Both times I waited 45 minutes. The first time was for them to unchain a snow blower for me, the second was to get a grill down from a shelf.

Now the local HD has self checkout. They are at the point where they provide about 0 customer interaction. All they need now is some kind of automated return system.

When I feel I need some kind of guidance I will goto a specialty shop.
Old 03-07-2007, 09:24 PM
ENGAGE MY VTEC BABY!!!!!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
HD sucks a phatty

I love Orchard Supply, they are a more small store and all the people there know a lot

I was extremely inpressed with Lowes recently when I walked in I was asked if I needed help finding anything 3 times in under a minute, now that is good trainin, I heard also that HD employees do not get discounts and if they do its once a year and not no where near xmas or any holidya, just random. I only go there to get something if it on sale like tools, HD I have found out will tkae anythign back, I took my 1 year old dremel that seized up and they exchanged it no charge, still had the recipt.
Old 03-07-2007, 10:14 PM
nnInn

Received 1,084 Likes on 646 Posts
In the DC area we had Hechingers, for the longest time, 40 years. They always had what was needed and people working the stores. Then came HD and Lowes, Hechingers close their doors. Once that happened Lowes pulled out and HD took over. HD sucks!! 2 years ago Lowes came back and that's were I go 90% of the time.
Old 03-07-2007, 10:25 PM
_____ like a rabbit

Originally Posted by svtmike

Never liked Menards, and it was because of the store layouts and merchandise (really bad 2x4's) not the old retard in the ads.
next time ask to open up a new unit. usually the bottom half, especially towards the front and back, is really fucked up form young forklift drivers (guilty)
Old 03-07-2007, 10:26 PM
_____ like a rabbit

and never buy Tool Shop, its Menard's brand and boy is it crap!
Old 03-07-2007, 10:27 PM
Yeehaw

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
Funny... I used to love HD, now its horrible. It really does take about 15 minutes to find anyone, and 9/10 times they don't know what they are talking about. The worst part though... is that when they don't know what they are talking about, they pretend that they do, and just make up stuff. I went in for a certain kind of grout and got different answers from three people, all of them insisting that they were right. Eventually another guy shopping there, a plumber, interrupted and told me they were all wrong.
Old 03-07-2007, 10:54 PM
Doesn't Rice His Car

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
We have this smaller chain called Westlake Hardware (aka Ace Hardware). It's smaller, but it's a lot better customer service-wise than Home Depot. For some odd reason, people come in waves. I'll walk in and no one's in line to checkout. Then when I'm done and want to check out, There's like 2 lines each with 4 people in them. Every time I've been in there, they immediately call another cashier over the intercom. It's quite nice. Also, there's just employees in just about every section usually just lounging around doing nothing, so there's plenty of help.
Old 03-08-2007, 05:29 AM
Administrator Alumnus

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts
Menards, HD and Lowes are all within two miles of my house.

It depends on my mood, but I tend to find myself in Menards and Lowes more.
Old 03-08-2007, 09:14 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 719 Likes on 201 Posts
It's been hit or miss with me... actually a few employees at Menards AND HD went out of their way to help me... the customer services was so exceptionally good, I'll be writing their managers letters.
Old 03-08-2007, 08:37 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
I couldn't tell you the last time I asked someone in HD or Lowes for advice. I'd love to work there. I'd run circles around their current employees.
Old 03-08-2007, 09:57 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts
Several years ago, we went to Home Depot for flooring. The woman that helped us used to own her own shop and when HD came to town, she was forced to close up and came to work for them. She was great. She knew everything about every product in her department, she was polite, easy to find, even easy to reach on the phone with questions we had later. When she sent out the guys to measure is, um, where the HD came through. They measured our kitchen which was big at 28x12 as 14x12. She wanted to get them to come back to remeasure and they were giving HER a hard time, and told us we didn't know what we were talking about and they already got the measurements. After all the work she did with us, we walked away cause there is no way I would let guys in my house that can undermeasure by friggin 14 feet. She was the last and possibly only decent HD employee I have ever dealt with.
Old 03-09-2007, 11:16 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
http://www.boston.com/business/globe...s_predecessor/

Here is an article about their former CEO Bob Nardelli's severance package of about 210 million, at the end it states that in the 5 years he worked there they only paid him 154 million in compensation. I find it odd that his severance package is a lot more than they paid him while he was there.
Old 03-10-2007, 12:24 PM
Health's Angels

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rona > HD

<--get 10% off at Rona with military ID
Old 03-13-2007, 03:43 PM
Three Wheelin'

There are 3 HD's within 10 minutes of me and the Lowes is a 30 minute drive so needless to say, i have to deal with HD. I'm used to the no-help at HD, but it really sucks when i have to have lumber cut cause then, i'm waiting like forever. One thing with HD employees is that (as my wife says) they're all ex-cons , I ran into 3 of em that worked their after their releases
Old 03-13-2007, 04:20 PM
Creepy guy in the mirror.

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts
It is true HD sucks... But... In their defense.

Everyone and their brother is now a DIY, or worse yet a self proclaimed home reno pro. As a result, a whole lot of people without a clue step into HD and start asking for free professional advice on completing projects that require knowledge. This creates a staffing burden on HD and unless they want to raise prices in order to pay for that free professional advice they hire idiots who have as much of a clue as the people in there asking for advice.

Granny watches some reality tv show where 2 other grannies tile their own floor. Granny then walks into HD and proceeds to take 2 hours of a salespersons time to find out the nitty gritty that the said reality tv show edited out so that she can tile her own floor. HD loves it because when she screws it up because she is in over her head, she calls HD to send out an installer.

I never look for advice in HD. I know exactly what I want before I go in the door.

That being said, I buy maybe 50% of what I need for my projects at HD - I usually go elsewhere because of sales. HD never seems to have anything on sale.
Old 03-14-2007, 05:28 AM
Go Giants

Received 1,233 Likes on 823 Posts
http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com....aspx?GT1=9145
Old 03-14-2007, 11:19 AM
if you only knew...

Originally Posted by 2001AudiS4
The woman that helped us used to own her own shop and when HD came to town, she was forced to close up...
Exactly why I won't shop "big box" stores - they put small businesses (where you can really find good service) out of business.
Old 03-14-2007, 11:19 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
Old 03-14-2007, 11:24 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 223 Likes on 184 Posts
Originally Posted by michiamo
Exactly why I won't shop "big box" stores - they put small businesses (where you can really find good service) out of business.
That's progress, It's been happening since the dawn of man.
My Lowes may not know as much as my local HW store, but I can't buy a gas grill for $79 at the local HW store. Or find a 1/2" TQ wrench without special ordering it & waiting a day to get it.
Old 03-15-2007, 07:42 AM
if you only knew...

Originally Posted by fuzzy02CLS
That's progress, It's been happening since the dawn of man.
My Lowes may not know as much as my local HW store, but I can't buy a gas grill for $79 at the local HW store. Or find a 1/2" TQ wrench without special ordering it & waiting a day to get it.
I'd rather pay a little more or wait a day and get better service. Besides, this country was built on small businesses.

I wouldn't call big box stores progress. IMO, they are further evidence of the decline of civilization.
Old 03-26-2007, 08:35 AM
No TL until I have kids!

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by jupitersolo
In the DC area we had Hechingers, for the longest time, 40 years. They always had what was needed and people working the stores. Then came HD and Lowes, Hechingers close their doors. Once that happened Lowes pulled out and HD took over. HD sucks!! 2 years ago Lowes came back and that's were I go 90% of the time.
I remember Hechinger's... It was a fine institution.
Old 03-26-2007, 08:49 AM
Race Director

I prefer Menards.

Btw, anyone remember Builders Square and Handy Andy?
Old 03-26-2007, 08:57 AM
Administrator Alumnus

Received 131 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by 04EuroAccordTsx
I prefer Menards.

lol I do.

There was a Handy Andy in my home town and it burned all the way to the ground. It was never clearly shared whether the fire was intentional, but it burned like a mother f'er. I lived 5 blocks from there and was doing my Chemistry homework... Friend called, and asked if my house was on fire... Which I thought was odd given he was a good mile from me. I ended up looking out my bedroom window and saw this giant orange glow.

You could hear the propane tanks bursting. It was quite a sight.
Old 03-26-2007, 09:09 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Seems to be the status quo with every big retailer up here. I don't have any expectations as far as customer service goes anymore.

Hell, you even have to check out yourself at Home Depot these days.
Old 03-26-2007, 10:50 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
New CEO responds

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com...etYouDown.aspx

After readers flood MSN Money's message boards with tales of lousy service, Home Depot's new top executive says change is on the way.

Editor's note: Last week, MSN Money published a column by Scott Burns that focused on customer-service problems at Home Depot (HD, news, msgs). The response was overwhelming: Thousands of readers posted messages on our boards and more than 10,000 e-mailed editors here to share their own stories of time wasted at Home Depot's stores. In response to that outcry, Home Depot’s new CEO, Frank Blake, posted his own message here. Below is a copy of that post.

I'm Frank Blake, the new CEO for The Home Depot. I've read a number of the postings on the MSN message board (unfortunately, there were a lot of them), and we've dispatched a dedicated task force -- working directly with me -- that is ready and willing to address each and every issue raised on this board. Please give us the chance.

There's no way I can express how sorry I am for all of the stories you shared. I recognize that many of you were loyal and dedicated shoppers of The Home Depot . . . and we let you down. That's unacceptable. Customers are our company's lifeblood – and the sole reason we have been able to build such a successful company is because of your support. The only way we're going to continue to be successful is by regaining your trust and confidence . . . and we will do that.

We've already taken steps to cure many of the ills discussed on this message board:

* We will be and already are increasing our staffing in the stores.

* We're also in the early stages of launching a nationwide program to recruit and hire skilled master tradespeople to staff our stores so that our customers receive the kind of service and expertise that made The Home Depot great.

* We're investing significantly in the appearance of our stores to make them an easier and more fun place to shop.

* And we're making it clear to all our associates that nothing is more important than you, the customer. Every associate knows that his or her number one job is to make you smile and to help you solve your home improvement problem … no matter how big or how small.

But the real judge of all of these changes we’re making is you. All I ask is that you please give us the opportunity to win you back. When you enter our stores, you should receive a personal greeting. After that, you should encounter a helpful associate who will walk you to find the tools, material or service you need. If you don’t, please let us know . . . just like Scott Burns did.
Old 03-26-2007, 10:53 AM
dom
Senior Moderator

Received 801 Likes on 662 Posts
Originally Posted by cTLgo

Old 03-26-2007, 11:14 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
yup, he's got a huge mess to clean up
Old 03-26-2007, 11:23 AM
Just dial 1911

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Im practally in walking distance to a HD, so I have no choice I would love to have a Lowe's closer.
Old 03-26-2007, 11:29 AM
if you only knew...

Originally Posted by 04EuroAccordTsx
I prefer Menards.

Oh, yes, we had Builder's Square - until Home Despot put them out of business!
Old 03-26-2007, 11:55 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Yep - for awhile it was great going to HD, but it has changed so much over the years. We originally thought it was just a "bad one" near us, so I drove a little further out - nope same problems you all wrote about. I waited one time for a piece of wood to be cut, one guy who apparently was not allowed to use the saw, went to fetch a "certified saw-guy". 15 minutes later a guy slowly walks down the aisle, only to say - oh that is pressure treated wood, we do not cut pressure treated wood. I have not quite gotten used to Lowes, so I still go to HD only because I am comfortable with the layout - from many "I'll just find it myself" experiences. And I can return just about ANYTHING without issue.

I do agree with what someone said about there are what seems to be a TON of more people trying to be DIY'ers. That is why I would never, and didn't, by a resale for fear of what some of these weekend warriors are doing behind close doors.

Sorry HD, you used to be my favorite store
Old 03-26-2007, 01:48 PM
if you only knew...

Originally Posted by joerockt
Im practally in walking distance to a HD, so I have no choice I would love to have a Lowe's closer.
Sure you have a choice, you can drive to any other hardware store. We have a wallyworld right close to my development. I wouldn't go there on a bet. Instead, I drive several miles to a target if I need something that they sell (which isn't very often). Spending your money where you choose - it's called consumer acceptance. If more of us shopped this way, bad business would be out of business.

Quick Reply: Is Home Depot shafting shoppers?