Door Locks are a pain in the ass

Old 08-23-2005, 08:16 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Door Locks are a pain in the ass

I figured I would share a funny chain of events and hopefully part some good advice onto you DIYers out there who are having fun upgrading or changing out your doors.

When i moved into my condo the previous owner used kwikset locks that were fairly beaten up. I also do not like having grade 3 ANSI locks for my outer protection so I went shopping for a new lock. My condo has two doors so I had to find or get keyed a deadbolt / knob combo. I started with a Brinks lock and I just wanted to tell you guys to NEVER buy this lock. After installation I quickly reinstalled the kwikset lock for my own safety. The Brinks lock does not have internal deadbolt screws so there is no way to secure the outer plating to the back of the door, they expect you to use the same long screws to pull on the rear latch assembly. The craftsmanship was terrible with very poor casting and essentially the lock was hollow with a barely one inch throw deadbolt. I was in a hurry when I purchased this set but it was quickly replaced it back w/ the rekeyed kwikset.

I was wondering what brand locks you use for your outer security. I was told that mounting a deadbolt on your door 40 - 60" off the floor really stops kick-ins because the lock in that spot negates the force of any human foot.

Thoughts? recommendations?
Old 08-23-2005, 01:36 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Anyone? What locks do you use? Weiser? Schlage? Kwikset? Baldwin?
Old 08-23-2005, 02:01 PM
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts
Maybe this is different for a 2nd floor condo due to the height from the ground but if someone wants to get into my house, it doesn't matter how strong the deadbolt is, they can just bust out a window and come right in.

Buy a big gun and a security system and don't worry so much about the deadbolt IMO.
Old 08-23-2005, 02:12 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by zeroday
Maybe this is different for a 2nd floor condo due to the height from the ground but if someone wants to get into my house, it doesn't matter how strong the deadbolt is, they can just bust out a window and come right in.

Buy a big gun and a security system and don't worry so much about the deadbolt IMO.
Well, short a ladder it is the only way to access my place and the windows have a security system on them. I have learned that while a determined thief WILL get through a lock it's a matter of how long you can make them take to get in. An ansi grade 1 deadlock while not foolproof is not exactly a walk in the park to defeat. You can't saw them easily because of the spinning core, you cannot kick them in unless you have 2 guys and you can't easily pound them out. Picking them is very tricky and the only way to get past one quietly. I technically have 2 doors going into my place so if some jerk exhausted himself past the bottom entrance he has a solid oak door to deal w/ at the top of the steps as well. I personally believe that by doing all you can to defeat a burglar the better you are off. I am a gun owner already but i would rather never have to ever get that far with an intrusion.
Old 08-23-2005, 02:51 PM
Race Director

Better to ask the experts:

http://www.lockpicking101.com/viewtopic.php?t=4890
Old 08-23-2005, 04:33 PM
Gimmie my points Biatch!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by eclipse23
Anyone? What locks do you use? Weiser? Schlage? Kwikset? Baldwin?
I only use medco locks. If possible install a metal frame.
Old 08-23-2005, 05:30 PM
Pro

A friend of mine had a lock on his apt. door and the key looked like a lexus key, not the key head but the cut. It was a laser cut key cut from the center. Anyone know what kind of lock he had?
Old 08-24-2005, 06:36 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by MJMeucci
A friend of mine had a lock on his apt. door and the key looked like a lexus key, not the key head but the cut. It was a laser cut key cut from the center. Anyone know what kind of lock he had?

http://www.buyasafe.com/scripts/prod...?idproduct=342

Might be that. You can't copy the lock key, you have to have one made by the company i believe. This stops people from copying your key, etc.
Old 08-24-2005, 07:07 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Schlage for the doorknob with a double cylinder dead bolt above that ( I think that is what it is called - need a key to get in or out with the dead bolt) Otherwise someone could break the glass window next to door and reach in and turn deadbolt - so it is keyed instead. The finish does not last long on the schlage though - wanted a Baldwin, but could not find a set that fit correctly, plus they got pretty $$ if I recall.
If the Schlage fails then my friend Sig Sauer will glady give the intruder a tour of the house

Old 08-24-2005, 10:51 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by TBone2004
Schlage for the doorknob with a double cylinder dead bolt above that ( I think that is what it is called - need a key to get in or out with the dead bolt) Otherwise someone could break the glass window next to door and reach in and turn deadbolt - so it is keyed instead. The finish does not last long on the schlage though - wanted a Baldwin, but could not find a set that fit correctly, plus they got pretty $$ if I recall.
If the Schlage fails then my friend Sig Sauer will glady give the intruder a tour of the house

I'm hoping I can get away with a baldwin if it fits.
Old 08-24-2005, 12:06 PM
Az User

Received 2,505 Likes on 1,663 Posts
my neighbor is a locksmith he says Schlage all the way
Old 08-24-2005, 12:50 PM
Race Director

I didn't see any response to my post about the lock picking forums but there's more than you ever wanted to know about locks on that site. Have you checked it out? Most of the people there are locksmiths.
Old 08-24-2005, 01:13 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,057 Likes on 1,142 Posts
Originally Posted by TBone2004
need a key to get in or out with the dead bolt) Otherwise someone could break the glass window next to door and reach in and turn deadbolt - so it is keyed instead.
I just found out from my town that this is a violation and must be replaced to get a CO. The problem with these locks is that if the key is not in the lock and there is an emergency need to get out of the house, it may be impossible if the person doesn't have the key.
Old 08-25-2005, 01:17 PM
Team Anthracite Member

I'll keep that in mind for when I go to sell some day...good thing I pack-ratted the original locks

Originally Posted by doopstr
I just found out from my town that this is a violation and must be replaced to get a CO. The problem with these locks is that if the key is not in the lock and there is an emergency need to get out of the house, it may be impossible if the person doesn't have the key.