Closed today on 1st home, looking for thoughts on painting (pics!)

Old 05-17-2010, 09:42 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Closed today on 1st home, looking for thoughts on painting (pics!)

Well I had settlement today on my very first home purchase......woooohooooo!

Everything went very smooth at settlement and I was done signing my life away in only an hour or so...

So, I only plan on painting one room (master bedroom) for now and I am not too sure on what brand/steps I should use. I have zero experience painting, but I do plan on doing this myself.

I have read that Benjamin-Moore and Sherwin-Williams are one of the best/easiest to use and are good quality. Any thoughts???

Although Behr is a "budget" paint from what I read, there are a lot of horror stories out there that worry me. Anyone here use it before?

Here are some pics of the room (previous owners setup) that I plan on painting. Is it really worth it to try and use one of the primer/paint all-in-one deals or just get primer AND paint?

I am open to all thoughts...thanks!
Old 05-17-2010, 10:06 PM
Sweet!

Received 80 Likes on 69 Posts
Congrats!!

I did tons of research on paint and was prepared to buy a specific paint and whatnot...but when it came down to it, I got lazy (Home Depot is the closest place that carries paint in my neighborhood) and ended up buying Behr's Paint + Primer .

All jokes aside, the paint has not disappointed me. I'm happy with how things have turned out and will continue to buy until otherwise. I've used the Behr Paint + Primer in eggshell, interior semi-gloss, and exterior semi-gloss and they've all performed as they should. No complaints here.
Old 05-17-2010, 10:07 PM
Team Owner

Received 3,864 Likes on 2,031 Posts
IMO Behr has come a long way from what it used to be. It's pretty decent paint now.

My favorite by far though is Benjamin Moore Aura. It covers really well, the finish is really nice and the palette is tasteful.
Old 05-17-2010, 10:13 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by thunder04
Congrats!!

I did tons of research on paint and was prepared to buy a specific paint and whatnot...but when it came down to it, I got lazy (Home Depot is the closest place that carries paint in my neighborhood) and ended up buying Behr's Paint + Primer .

All jokes aside, the paint has not disappointed me. I'm happy with how things have turned out and will continue to buy until otherwise. I've used the Behr Paint + Primer in eggshell, interior semi-gloss, and exterior semi-gloss and they've all performed as they should. No complaints here.
Thanks!

How long ago did you use it?

Originally Posted by svtmike
IMO Behr has come a long way from what it used to be. It's pretty decent paint now.

My favorite by far though is Benjamin Moore Aura. It covers really well, the finish is really nice and the palette is tasteful.
Thanks for the input. I just may consider the Behr, especially when it comes to the price
Old 05-17-2010, 11:45 PM
Safety Car

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
Congrats!! Any more pics? of outside and other rooms in house?
Old 05-18-2010, 05:39 AM
I miss my 03 CL-S :(

Received 445 Likes on 214 Posts
I used Behr on most of my rooms when I moved in 2004. It has held up and it still looks good. I used Glidden on a couple of rooms - lower quality but has held up as well.
Old 05-18-2010, 06:41 AM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,117 Posts
I have Behr paint on a majority of the walls in my house, and I like it. Great coverage, great price, and easy to apply. The roller application of Behr is also good!
Old 05-18-2010, 06:54 AM
Bent = #1

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
My wife used to work at Sherwin-Williams so we got an employee discount. I painted Duration in our entire house. It is a little pricey though, but if you wait for either Memorial Day or July 4th they should have a really good sale. It is a better paint than Behr, but it does cost more.

Last year we got it for 40% off IIRC which was better than her employee discount.
Old 05-18-2010, 07:37 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 194 Likes on 151 Posts
Hey where do you buy your home? Congrats! I go to closing Monday, had to get it extended. I was supposed to go yesterday the 17th.
Old 05-18-2010, 08:29 AM
registered pw

Received 354 Likes on 252 Posts
congrats. be prepared to spend a buttload of money your 1st year. Most of the paint from lowes and home depot should be good. I really haven't had any issues with either.
Old 05-18-2010, 10:28 AM
Sweet!

Received 80 Likes on 69 Posts
Originally Posted by MD03CL-S
Thanks!

How long ago did you use it?
I've been Behr paint + primer stuff since I bought my place in June of last year, so my experience is pretty recent. My newest can of paint may be 6 months old at most.

My parents have used different types of paint in their house...Behr, Valspar (Lowes, I believe), Kelly-Moore, and some others. Neither I or they can tell the difference between finished products.

Now, as far as how easy/hard application of various paints are, I don't have experience here as I've only painted with Behr. FWIW, I was able to paint my bedroom with a single coat of the paint & primer stuff in eggshell (being generous with the roller, of course). There were a couple spots I had to touch up because of the texture of the walls, but 90% of it was in one paint "session". Also, the walls were originally a light beige, and my paint was a light coffee brown...so the color change wasn't super drastic.
Old 05-18-2010, 10:47 AM
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
We hired a painter to do our house when we bought it. He uses BM if you want him to pick up the paint but we found a killer deal on some Behr that we couldn't pass up. Someone had mixed a 5 gallon bucket of a khaki color and rejected it so it was on the sale rack for $20! Had they not rejected it, it would have been $80.

He used this Behr paint on 75% of our home and BM on the rest. He's been painting for 40 years or so and said he had no trouble with the Behr we bought and it rolled good. This was back in December 08.

Fast forward to recently, we decided to paint a room and I made a thread about it. This one I did myself and it turned out very good. This was the first time I had ever painted an entire room. We used Behr again and I have no complaints. I used a Purdy roller and ended up with 3 coats for full coverage. It took about two gallons. I may have only needed 2 coats if i had rolled it a little heavier but i was afraid I'd make a mess so i was very conservative on each coat. Also, I was covering white so that may have been the reason for 3 coats as well. You can see pics here.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...6&postcount=61

https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...4&postcount=67
Old 05-18-2010, 11:53 AM
Bent = #1

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by rza49311
We hired a painter to do our house when we bought it. He uses BM if you want him to pick up the paint but we found a killer deal on some Behr that we couldn't pass up. Someone had mixed a 5 gallon bucket of a khaki color and rejected it so it was on the sale rack for $20! Had they not rejected it, it would have been $80.

He used this Behr paint on 75% of our home and BM on the rest. He's been painting for 40 years or so and said he had no trouble with the Behr we bought and it rolled good. This was back in December 08.

Fast forward to recently, we decided to paint a room and I made a thread about it. This one I did myself and it turned out very good. This was the first time I had ever painted an entire room. We used Behr again and I have no complaints. I used a Purdy roller and ended up with 3 coats for full coverage. It took about two gallons. I may have only needed 2 coats if i had rolled it a little heavier but i was afraid I'd make a mess so i was very conservative on each coat. Also, I was covering white so that may have been the reason for 3 coats as well. You can see pics here.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...6&postcount=61

https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...4&postcount=67
3 coats?! The Duration from SW goes on in 1 coat, so it's your pick between cost & labor.
Old 05-18-2010, 02:00 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Ugh, paint. We are in the middle of painting and planning on doing pretty much the entire house, one step at a time. Our house is full of painting supplies and whatnot right now. I'm tired of looking at it.

So far, we have used Benjamin Moore (not Aura) and it is a good quality paint. Might go for Aura for the family room/kitchen area, as it is high traffic and Aura is supposed to hold up very well. We have also used Ralph Lauren suede paint for my office. It's a lot of work, but looks pretty nice and has a different effect. However, it is no longer available at Home Depot and I'm not sure where they are selling it now.

I used regular Ralph Lauren paint in my old bedroom a few years ago and it has held up well. They have a nice color selection.

My parents have also been using Behr and it works just fine.

I've heard that Glidden and Valspar are lower quality, but haven't had any experience with them myself.
Old 05-18-2010, 02:18 PM
Burning Brakes

Thanks a lot everyone for the responses. Sounds like Behr may be the way for me to go. Starting to consider price and that I have never painted before, it seems like a good first step. If a few years go by and I don't like it, then maybe I can change it later on.

Originally Posted by tmnhs81
Thanks, I will post more pics when I get home from work.

Originally Posted by L's TL
Hey where do you buy your home? Congrats! I go to closing Monday, had to get it extended. I was supposed to go yesterday the 17th.
Thanks! I bought a house in Montgomery Village. Where is yours?

Originally Posted by dallison
congrats. be prepared to spend a buttload of money your 1st year. Most of the paint from lowes and home depot should be good. I really haven't had any issues with either.
Yeah, not looking forward to everything I have to buy. It's pretty much EVERYTHING, since I don't own a thing right now.
Old 05-18-2010, 02:21 PM
Senior Moderator

^ Sounds just like us. Same thing, spending a damn fortune buying everything right now.
Old 05-18-2010, 02:40 PM
nnInn

Received 1,084 Likes on 646 Posts
I painted 75% of the house 10 yrs old with Behr, walls still looks great, no discoloration. And still very easy to clean to 409.
Old 05-18-2010, 03:33 PM
It's the Halladay season!

Received 110 Likes on 87 Posts
I've painted a handful of times in the last 5 years for family members and have always used Behr. It rolls pretty well. Brushing the edges and corners of walls can be tricky at first, but you get the hang of it quick.
Old 05-18-2010, 03:47 PM
Safety Car

Received 148 Likes on 99 Posts
I agree on Behr. We have used it for years on our house as well and no complaints. We also use Lowes Valspar and no complaints with either. Paint lasts for years and the shine with it. Obviously Shermin Williams is more expensive, but IMHO, it isn't worth it because eventually you will want to change the color again youself before the paint gets old.
Old 05-18-2010, 06:36 PM
The sizzle in the Steak

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,297 Posts
Used Behr many times....it's come a long way...it's a decent paint.
Old 05-18-2010, 10:46 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by tmnhs81
Here is a pic of the outside as well as a few more from inside...kitchen, living room, other bedrooms. (this is all the sellers stuff inside the house)

Old 05-19-2010, 10:51 AM
Senior Moderator

The good thing is, the decor seems neutral for the most part and there doesn't seem to be any wallpaper to remove. Wallpaper is a bitch!
Old 05-19-2010, 05:04 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by LuvMyTSX
The good thing is, the decor seems neutral for the most part and there doesn't seem to be any wallpaper to remove. Wallpaper is a bitch!
Yeah, no wallpaper! I do like the neutral colors which allows me to not have to change much.
Old 05-25-2010, 08:51 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 194 Likes on 151 Posts
Congrats again man. Looks like I'll close tomorrow. Mine is in Upper Marlboro by Andrews Air Force Base & the gun range
Old 05-25-2010, 09:04 AM
Fuct in the hed!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I went to home depot and used Behr's swatches and converted them in Benjamin Moore paint. I was always told Benjamin Moore is the best....and they tried to sell me a Lee Dewyze shirt because he used to work where we got the paint from.
Old 05-25-2010, 11:02 AM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,842 Likes on 8,573 Posts
I just painted several accent walls in our home with Valspar Signature. They have new tints that are rich warm colors, rich reds and browns that just came out.

1 coat is all it needed.. Definitely worth the extra $$ about $32 / gallon depending on finish I believe.

Also if you're going to paint match - Sherwin Williams is the best
Old 05-25-2010, 02:26 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 113 Likes on 78 Posts
I used ICI Dulux water based paint for the interior and oil based for the exerior (major PITA). For the master and guest bathrooms I used metallic silver Ralph Lauren and brought this silver out as an accent wall into the master bedroom. I used separate primer for bathrooms and kitchen.
Old 05-29-2010, 10:39 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Contrasts on the house! So where exactly in Montgomery Village is it, what i mean is that there was a newish development kinda close to Lakeforest. (wondering if that is where you are?) I'm blanking on the road its on, I wanna say at a T intersection is where the entrance is. I don't know.

Well as of paint, in my old house lived there from 1990-2008 i think i have painted just about every room with Benjamin Moore. As you have probably know by now it is much more expensive but it has alot of color choices and is really easy to clean. I saw the kids room they will draw on the wall. (hell i did) If you get cheap paint you WILL NOT be able to get it out.

There is a Benjamin Store right off of W. Diamond Ave, Gaithersburg. I have gone to this store like a million times, the people that work there are very helpful.

Good Luck and do not forget to put some old sheets down on the carpet or else painting will be VERY expensive.
Old 05-30-2010, 12:57 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Sandals
Contrasts on the house! So where exactly in Montgomery Village is it, what i mean is that there was a newish development kinda close to Lakeforest. (wondering if that is where you are?) I'm blanking on the road its on, I wanna say at a T intersection is where the entrance is. I don't know.

Well as of paint, in my old house lived there from 1990-2008 i think i have painted just about every room with Benjamin Moore. As you have probably know by now it is much more expensive but it has alot of color choices and is really easy to clean. I saw the kids room they will draw on the wall. (hell i did) If you get cheap paint you WILL NOT be able to get it out.

There is a Benjamin Store right off of W. Diamond Ave, Gaithersburg. I have gone to this store like a million times, the people that work there are very helpful.

Good Luck and do not forget to put some old sheets down on the carpet or else painting will be VERY expensive.
Thanks, I am right near Lakeforest mall. I am still not too familiar with the area, so I don't know any road names yet.

I may check out that Benjamin store and see what they say. I don't actually move in until June 10th (sellers are renting back from me) so I am still doing a bit of research on painting.

I plan to tape up and cover EVERYTHING to help minimize any potential messes!
Old 05-30-2010, 01:13 AM
Whats up with RDX owners?

Received 8,394 Likes on 4,939 Posts
Congrats man!
Old 05-30-2010, 01:24 AM
Burning Brakes

^^Thanks! Hopefully I will catch you at the next meet.