Artificial mulch/chips

Old 05-04-2010, 12:58 PM
Banned

Received 960 Likes on 593 Posts
Artificial mulch/chips

Have an area - well, technically three separate areas - that I'd like to do something with.

Area 1 - two foot wide strip along the front of my house.

This section has about four shortass shrubs, that don't seem to grow. It's covered in old black chips that were put there probably 18-20 months ago. Faded. Faucet in this area on the house, hose reel stored on surface. No barrier between chips and grass, grass is creeping in.

Area 2 - walkway from driveway to porch, L-shape.

This has white river pebbles and large stepping stones. Never had weed/growth barrier, stuff is growing up. Rocks are getting scattered.

Area 3 - area between walkway, driveway and porch.

This area is the same as #1, except that it had a couple of flowers at one point.

What I'd like to do, is take everything out, lay down a growth barrier, and a border on everything. I want to dump the pebbles for another project, and use mulch. I'd use this same mulch on everything. I want to keep the shrubs (I guess), and plant a few perennials in Area #3. No real sunlight to speak of while the trees are full.

I'm leaning toward artificial, considering I'll have it up against the house in two places (front side is a brick face, however). Thoughts? I've never mulched before period, so I have no real preference or experience.
Old 05-04-2010, 01:08 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
I like the look of rubber mulch, as well as it's longevity...not a fan of the entry fee. That said, I plan on putting it around my trees and what's left of my beds once the bushes fill in (so sometime in the next few years). Definitely need a border along the grass and concrete.
Old 05-05-2010, 08:24 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Our next home I told my wife we're going the rubber mulch route. The only downside to the rubber mulch is that your soil will not get the nutrients it would from the decomposing wood of real mulch... but with water and fertilization it should not be a big deal.

As chill_dog said... the "entry fee" is a bit high... but as a homeowner who has spent thousands over the years mulching and re-mulching... plus the labor of spreading it (I only mulched the yard myself once... and never again), it's worth the upfront cost to not have to do it year after year...
Old 05-05-2010, 09:16 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
Beats pine needles, too (which I still spread myself every year ). It would take forever for me to spend on needles what the rubber mulch would cost, but the time and effort of not having to spread the needles justifies it for me. Maintenance free is the best way to be.
Old 05-05-2010, 10:15 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
^ Yeah, needles are the cheap alternative... however, as you alluded to, they don't last long enough. They look great at first when they are applied, but need to be refreshed waaaaay to often which is why we switched to hardwood mulch. We are big fans of maintenance free, which is why we'll make the switch in the future.