Anybody ever heard of Viceroy? (kit home)

Old 07-14-2007, 10:34 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anybody ever heard of Viceroy? (kit home)

My wife and I are thinking about building a home and I ran across this website when looking for builder and plans. Anybody ever heard of these guys or have any input?

http://www.viceroy.com/
Old 07-16-2007, 12:43 PM
Creepy guy in the mirror.

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts
I don't know a whole lot about them, but I do know of a friend that purchased a cottage that was a viceroy home. It was a nice place - I don't know how difficult they are to build, but I do know that they get pricey with all the extras. They suck you in on simple inexpensive homes, then get you to pay a lot for all the extras.
Old 07-16-2007, 01:03 PM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
My parents are just in the process of designing and ordering a new Viceroy home. It's a pretty cool process. They have suggested templates for model homes, but really they'll make it however you want it. No two homes are really the same because they customize it for the property you have.

It's really no different than any other home you could design, other than the structure is built at a factory and trucked on site. There are real benefits to that concept when building in remote areas like in my parent's situation. Getting a good builder and tradesmen in the area they're building in is a real problem. Plus, delivery charges for all the raw materials would be pretty expensive with conventional construction techniques.

Viceroy will build you just about anything from a 500 sq ft fishing shack to a 10,000 sq ft monster home. What kind of home are you looking to build?
Old 07-16-2007, 04:16 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dan Martin
My parents are just in the process of designing and ordering a new Viceroy home. It's a pretty cool process. They have suggested templates for model homes, but really they'll make it however you want it. No two homes are really the same because they customize it for the property you have.

It's really no different than any other home you could design, other than the structure is built at a factory and trucked on site. There are real benefits to that concept when building in remote areas like in my parent's situation. Getting a good builder and tradesmen in the area they're building in is a real problem. Plus, delivery charges for all the raw materials would be pretty expensive with conventional construction techniques.

Viceroy will build you just about anything from a 500 sq ft fishing shack to a 10,000 sq ft monster home. What kind of home are you looking to build?
My wife and I are looking to build a home on 5 acres west of Eugene Oregon. It needs to be in the 2000-2500 sq ft range since it's just two of us. The homes look great online, but I was curious about how that translates into the real world. I talked to a builder and not suprisingly he said he could do it for less than a kit home. I'll continue my research and decide in the next month or two what to do.
Old 07-16-2007, 04:19 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by JLatimer
I don't know a whole lot about them, but I do know of a friend that purchased a cottage that was a viceroy home. It was a nice place - I don't know how difficult they are to build, but I do know that they get pricey with all the extras. They suck you in on simple inexpensive homes, then get you to pay a lot for all the extras.

That's pretty much what my builder told me when I asked if he'd ever built one. He said to show him the pictures of the kit house and he'd build the same one with the same features for less. I think since the housing market has slowed so much some of these builders are working for less profit.
Old 07-18-2007, 11:59 AM
Team Owner

Received 598 Likes on 416 Posts
Looks really nice.
Old 07-18-2007, 12:13 PM
Photography Nerd

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Pushing_Tin
My wife and I are looking to build a home on 5 acres west of Eugene Oregon. It needs to be in the 2000-2500 sq ft range since it's just two of us. The homes look great online, but I was curious about how that translates into the real world. I talked to a builder and not suprisingly he said he could do it for less than a kit home. I'll continue my research and decide in the next month or two what to do.
The Viceroy dealers around here have many homes you can go through to see the build quality. Every one I've been in seems to be very nicely built. You should see if they have some model homes in your area.