Alarm System Advice

Old 06-24-2008, 05:30 PM
Safety Car

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts
Alarm System Advice

to make a long story short, my ADT alarm system is no longer installed in my home, but I still have all the parts. I know I was paying too much for ADT so I was planning on switching anyway.

I have narrowed my choice down to two alarm companies

Ackerman Security is about $255 for the reinstall of my old system, and monitoring is $18.95/month with a one year contract. Ackerman uses their own monitoring station and is local. Actually it is right up the street from me. Ackerman also has a 45 second response guarentee, plus they will pay your home owner's deductible up to $1500 if you have a bugulary and the system was armed at the time of the incident.

North Star Security is only $99 for the reinstall of my old system and monitoring is $16.95/month with a one year contract. North Star is monitored by this company called Central Monitoring systems out of Tulsa Oklahoma. I don't think they have any guarentee with their response time, but I was told they average around 40 - 60 seconds.

Of course if I want to add more features and equipment to my existing system its more money. However Ackerman's charges considerably more for their equipment than North Star

North star clearly seems like the better deal, but my only concern is that their monitoring station is out of state. Of course Ackermann says a local monitoring station is better than an out of state one. North Star says, it really doesn't matter any way.

All things considered, which company would you choose and why?
Old 06-24-2008, 05:40 PM
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
It wouldn't matter to me if the monitoring station is out of state. Does your ADT still work now without the monitoring? I know you want the monitoring but I'm just curious. I liked having an alarm system on a previous house I lived in (it was ADT). I didn't even need the monitoring. Just knowing the alarm would sound if someone broke in (and would scare them away) was all I needed.
Old 06-24-2008, 06:21 PM
Safety Car

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts
yeah it still works, but its no longer installed, so I don't have anything hooked up right now. I think I really need the monitoring there have been a hand full of break ins in my neighboorhood.

Basically what happened to my old system was a a door - to - door salesman sold me an alarm system and I changed my mind the next day due to the long 39/month contract @ 47.99 month. They came and got their system yesterday, but of course they didn't reinstall the old one.

I had no problem with ADT, they were just too much when comparing it other rates.
Old 06-26-2008, 06:22 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 113 Likes on 78 Posts
Is yours a peripheral alarm system or motion detector system? Sounds like all the parts are new so you're good to go. When I bought my home, the alarm system hadn't been used in several years. I went with the same company that had installed the original system but they had to do a ton of rewiring, placement of new sensors. Plus, I had a special screen installed that has sensors running through the screen itself so that I can leave the glass door pulled back for airflow and had the windows in my 2 bathrooms and master bedroom adjusted so that the windows could be cracked open for airflow without activating the alarm system. Still the total cost for about 15-20 hours of labor and parts was well under $1000, I think even below $600 if I recollect.

For maintenance issues going with a local company is key. I've had them come over to troubleshoot a few things since I moved in and it's nice when they can come that afternoon. That being said, I pay $32 a month, but the police come within minutes. I accidentally hit the panic button on my fob once after coming home from the bar and the cops were there before I had a chance to call the alarm company LOL.
Old 07-18-2008, 02:49 PM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Do these alarm systems need to have a phone line from the phone company? Or do they work fine with a VoIP phone connection from the cable company? We just recently moved into a new house and have no phone service. Also, can anyone recommend an alarm company for the central/south NJ area?

Thanks,
Old 07-18-2008, 02:53 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 113 Likes on 78 Posts
Unfortunately, my system required a landline. What's cool is being able to active or deactive the system remotely through my cellphone, but this requires calling my landline and entering the security code.
Old 07-18-2008, 04:04 PM
Bent = #1

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by VTEC11
Do these alarm systems need to have a phone line from the phone company? Or do they work fine with a VoIP phone connection from the cable company? We just recently moved into a new house and have no phone service. Also, can anyone recommend an alarm company for the central/south NJ area?

Thanks,

I believe some ADT or Brinks systems work through cell phones.
Old 07-20-2008, 06:08 PM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Received 2,000 Likes on 1,173 Posts
Many higher end systems have at least two lines, one land and one cellular if the land line voltage dips below a certain level (if cut for example). Some have a few different cellular lines with transmitters in different parts of the house, but that's big bucks stuff, and usually only included in the "sharks with lasers" package.