**DIY Projects**

Old 11-21-2016, 10:18 AM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Received 2,000 Likes on 1,173 Posts
Damn, that looks great!
Old 11-21-2016, 11:46 AM
registered pw

Received 354 Likes on 252 Posts
Thanks guys. It took a week doing it after work for the major stuff and another week to tweak and put the finishing touches on it. It was around $1800 for the granite, faucet, all wood custom made comfort height vanity, avalanche toilet with bemis sta-tite lid, all metal faucet, florida tile, and other plumbing supplies. It really wasn't hard to do.

I was able to repurpose the vanity bottom in the garage as i needed a cabinet in there for storage. i would say that i had saved about $1500-2000 by doing it myself and really adding some good value to the house.

So now we have the office, dining room, hallway and downstairs bath finished. We ran the wiring for the living room behind the walls for the stereo, added crown molding and a ceiling fan. All we need to do now is replace the hardwood with carpet, but that'll run around 1500-1800 to have that done. it'll be a year or two until we do that. Then we remodel the kitchen.Mrs. Dallison can't wait for that.
The following users liked this post:
Nicks2001tl (11-21-2016)
Old 11-21-2016, 12:24 PM
Senior Moderator
Regional Coordinator
(Mid-Atlantic)

Received 4,413 Likes on 3,023 Posts
Nice!
Old 11-29-2016, 09:19 AM
Safety Car

Received 505 Likes on 378 Posts
Started the new house this last weekend. Everything tells me that this place should be torn down (it's a cabin) but found a few gems that I can work off of. As all the houses that we have previously worked on it needs a lot of work.
The fireplace and half the house are made of stone. The ceiling is wood.
Those are two strips of mold. The whole ceiling was covered in it.
Finished.
1StGenCL (12-04-2016)
Old 12-06-2016, 12:04 PM
Safety Car

Before and after on a basement floor.

Step 1) Clean and Degrease the floor. Tape and cover anything you don't want dirtied up.
Step 2) Acid etch the floor if it is very smooth so the paint can adhere properly to the surface. Follow the directions on how to apply and take the proper safety precautions when dealing with acid.
Step 4) Rinse acid away with a garden hose. Let dry completely.
Step 3) Use a quality floor paint designed just for basement floors.

Enjoy!
Old 12-06-2016, 12:07 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,584 Likes on 6,630 Posts
Oh man! Looks great! I figure Epoxy floor coatings (like those for garages) would be a bit of overkill for a basement?
Old 12-06-2016, 12:21 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by thoiboi
Oh man! Looks great! I figure Epoxy floor coatings (like those for garages) would be a bit of overkill for a basement?
Thought about epoxy but also thought it to be too much.
Went with this. Covered nice.
Old 12-08-2016, 07:26 PM
registered pw

The ceiling and floor look great. How hard was it to use the acid etching? I want to do the garage and wasn't sure of the ease of use.
Old 12-09-2016, 05:04 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by dallison
The ceiling and floor look great. How hard was it to use the acid etching? I want to do the garage and wasn't sure of the ease of use.
First of all the garage floor has to be super clean. Degreaser and scrub really well.

Acid etching wasn`t hard at all. I used a pump sprayer and with the right amount of muriatic acid. Sprayed a liberal amount on the surface let sit for about fifteen minutes than rinsed everything off with a garden hose. The acid works right away and should leave the smooth surface with a 120 grit sandpaper kind of feel.

Use a high quality garage floor paint or epoxy and follow the drying instructions before driving on the surface.

Note: Where gloves and goggles when mixing the acid.
dallison (12-09-2016)
Old 12-09-2016, 05:56 AM
registered pw

This will have to be a summer project.
Old 12-11-2016, 08:37 PM
Racer

Received 93 Likes on 75 Posts
Dallison your bathroom turned out great, I see you had a change in the color ;-)

Nick, love the wood ceilings. Looks like you'd get a good workout refinishing those! The basement floor turned out great. I'd love to epoxy our garage floors @ some point but there are a few hairline cracks that probably will come back. FYI if anyone is using something oil based or flammable in the basement might want to shut off pilots on gas water heater/furnace. Look at me being Mr. safety guy lol...
The following 2 users liked this post by atomlinks:
dallison (01-10-2017), Nicks2001tl (12-12-2016)
Old 12-12-2016, 08:28 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by atomlinks
FYI if anyone is using something oil based or flammable in the basement might want to shut off pilots on gas water heater/furnace. Look at me being Mr. safety guy lol...
Solid advice. In addition, do not store anything flammable by the furnace or gas water heater, something might go boom.
Old 01-07-2017, 06:51 PM
Racer

So I needed to use the tile saw this weekend for the bathroom I'm finishing up. It was 5 degrees outside and 20 in the garage. I had 2 small portable heaters going in the garage but it just couldn't do the job and barely moved the temp up 5 degrees. Warm water helped for a while but after a while my fingers about to fall off it was so cold.

I'm not done with the saw yet and am thinking about picking one of these propane heaters up. What do you all use to keep your garage warm(or at least bearable)?
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Dyna-Glo-15...ater/999918226
Old 01-07-2017, 07:42 PM
Racer

Had to include a pic. :-) This bathroom is taking me months to complete. If I didn't have kids I'm sure I'd be done by now.

Plan on putting crown by the ceiling, but I'm really not sure what I'm going to do with the top of that 3/4 wall. It was a halfwall but I wanted to add another shower head/valve like we have in the basement. I've thought about white crown on top of 3/4 wall, maybe thick granite slab remnant?

Any other ideas?

Old 01-08-2017, 09:29 AM
Safety Car

I would say glass block, but not sure if that would fit. Glass block gives a nice clean look. Then 1-2 inch crown around the block and surround.
Old 01-08-2017, 12:27 PM
Ex-OEM King

Received 5,832 Likes on 3,853 Posts
For the heater, look into a radiant heater rather than an air heater. The radiant ones heat you/objects and not the air so it works awesome and provides instant warmth you can feel.

For the shower, I'd leave it and add a piece of white vinyl plank trim to the top with some moulding underneath. Either that or have it closed in with glass when you do the rest of the shower. I'm personally not a fan of glass block.
Old 01-08-2017, 12:40 PM
Safety Car

Then again, a piece of treated glass framed in might look even better than glass block and less expensive. I bet you could do it for under a hundred bucks.
Old 01-08-2017, 03:29 PM
Racer

Thanks for your thoughts guys. Glass block is a great idea because the right side by the tub we have a large window and I really don't want to lose that light(which is one of the reasons I didn't go all the way to the ceiling. I took it to the wife and she had some strong opinions about glass block in a bathroom. Something about 1980's and the 80's are "coming back" in some ways but not in this way :-)

I like the idea of the single tempered pane and she is alright with that going all the way to the ceiling but when I thought about it more I think I'd like to keep it open because the exhaust fan is more toward the tub side and prob is a good idea to let the steam out as easy/fast as possible with the 2 shower heads.

I took a look @ our kids bathroom and we used this travertine crown as a border. Pics below:

I'm now thinking we could use the travertine crown not only surrounding the shower, but also as a crown on that 3/4 wall. I'll have to build up the top of the 3/4 wall a bit with some durock or hardiebacker to get it to line up, but I think I can make it work.

I have a small radiant heater and a small fan type heater in the garage now, it works alright when it's a little cold but when it's 5 degrees it takes forever and doesn't move the needle much. I like the idea of a large kerosene or propane heater to get it up to temp. initially/quickly then use my 2 small heaters to maintain. Just not sure what type would be best/safest.
Old 01-08-2017, 05:22 PM
Ex-OEM King

What does your radiant heater look like? Mine is the parabolic one and it works great. Remember that moving the needle in your garage is a losing battle without a large furnace. Keeping YOU warm is key which is where the radiant heat comes in handy.
Old 01-08-2017, 05:31 PM
Racer

The small one i have is this one from harbor freight
400/900 Watt Oscillating Parabolic Heater

I remember growing up my dad had a large kerosene one to heat up the shop very quickly, sounded like a jet engine running or something. Something like that but for a smaller garage is what I'd be interested in to get the entire garage up to comfortable temp. Once it's up to a decent temp I think the smaller heaters could keep up as the garage is fully insulated including the door.
Old 01-10-2017, 05:56 AM
registered pw

Our garage is attached to the house so it's a little warmer than a detached. But, it's still cold enough where i avoid it in the cold.

So I needed to use the tile saw this weekend for the bathroom I'm finishing up. It was 5 degrees outside and 20 in the garage. I had 2 small portable heaters going in the garage but it just couldn't do the job and barely moved the temp up 5 degrees. Warm water helped for a while but after a while my fingers about to fall off it was so cold.

I'm not done with the saw yet and am thinking about picking one of these propane heaters up. What do you all use to keep your garage warm(or at least bearable)?
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Dyna-Glo-15...ater/999918226
Old 01-10-2017, 05:58 AM
registered pw

That is very nice tile work.

I'm now thinking we could use the travertine crown not only surrounding the shower, but also as a crown on that 3/4 wall. I'll have to build up the top of the 3/4 wall a bit with some durock or hardiebacker to get it to line up, but I think I can make it work.

I have a small radiant heater and a small fan type heater in the garage now, it works alright when it's a little cold but when it's 5 degrees it takes forever and doesn't move the needle much. I like the idea of a large kerosene or propane heater to get it up to temp. initially/quickly then use my 2 small heaters to maintain. Just not sure what type would be best/safest.
atomlinks (01-10-2017)
Old 01-10-2017, 09:07 AM
Ex-OEM King

The small one i have is this one from harbor freight
400/900 Watt Oscillating Parabolic Heater

I remember growing up my dad had a large kerosene one to heat up the shop very quickly, sounded like a jet engine running or something. Something like that but for a smaller garage is what I'd be interested in to get the entire garage up to comfortable temp. Once it's up to a decent temp I think the smaller heaters could keep up as the garage is fully insulated including the door.
Propane heaters work awesome but remember they also produce fumes that need to be exhausted somehow unless you don't like breathing. You can always get another parabolic radiant or a more powerful one...or just run a nat gas line to your garage and install a real heater.

My garage isn't insulated and it sucks. It's on my to-do list but unfortunately towards the bottom of it.
Old 01-10-2017, 12:08 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by SamDoe1
My garage isn't insulated and it sucks. It's on my to-do list but unfortunately towards the bottom of it.
A lot of homeowners especially in Northern States just don`t insulate or finish there garages. Which doesn`t make to much sense since installing insulation and sheet rock doesn`t only make your garage look better but also warmer.

I have seen garages down south that are 10x nicer than ones in colder climates. A weird opposite IMO.
Old 01-10-2017, 12:12 PM
Ex-OEM King

Originally Posted by Nicks2001tl
A lot of homeowners especially in Northern States just don`t insulate or finish there garages. Which doesn`t make to much sense since installing insulation and sheet rock doesn`t only make your garage look better but also warmer.

I have seen garages down south that are 10x nicer than ones in colder climates. A weird opposite IMO.
I think the reason for the south is to keep the heat out which his more difficult than keeping heat in.
Old 01-10-2017, 04:34 PM
Racer

I'd love to have a gas line and heater put in but no longer have access easily(drywall ceilings in basement) Just looking for something inexpensive that would heat up quickly, good point about the venting of gases, maybe not the safest. The problem with another electric is that I only have 1 15amp socket and the 2 heaters that I have now trip easily if I use any powertools/air compressor etc. Would love to run another 20 amp out there but can't do that easily because of the basement drywall ceilings issue.

Our garage is attached as well and all sides are insulated. The garage door was not insulated when I moved in(cheapo door) and I bought 2 of the Owens corning garage door insulation kits.. (Basically batt insulation with like a vinyl material on the part that shows). Its worked pretty well for the past 6 or so years,keeps heat in and some noise reduction. That kit does make the door heavier so plan on tightening up the spring(without loosing fingers) :-)

Owens Corning Garage Door Insulation Kit (8-Panels)-GD01 - The Home Depot
Old 01-10-2017, 04:49 PM
Safety Car

Received 811 Likes on 532 Posts
I'd love to have a gas line and heater put in but no longer have access easily(drywall ceilings in basement) Just looking for something inexpensive that would heat up quickly, good point about the venting of gases, maybe not the safest. The problem with another electric is that I only have 1 15amp socket and the 2 heaters that I have now trip easily if I use any powertools/air compressor etc. Would love to run another 20 amp out there but can't do that easily because of the basement drywall ceilings issue.

Our garage is attached as well and all sides are insulated. The garage door was not insulated when I moved in(cheapo door) and I bought 2 of the Owens corning garage door insulation kits.. (Basically batt insulation with like a vinyl material on the part that shows). Its worked pretty well for the past 6 or so years,keeps heat in and some noise reduction. That kit does make the door heavier so plan on tightening up the spring(without loosing fingers) :-)

Owens Corning Garage Door Insulation Kit (8-Panels)-GD01 - The Home Depot
Something like this is easy
MHVFRD30LPT Vent Free Radiant Propane Heater | Mr. Heater
atomlinks (01-10-2017)
Old 01-10-2017, 08:26 PM
Racer

^ I didn't even think of vent free, sounds much safer. I'm not sure how burning the same fuel in a vent or ventless system works in the same enclosed space. I mean where do the gases go in a vent free system? :-) Something like that would work perfectly and much safer. Seems like you can mount it on the wall out of the way as well. Will have to do some research to see if I can hook up to a standard 20 lb propane tank as I always have an extra full one around for the grill anyway. Should be simple enough to leave a gas line disconnected most of the time and when I want to use it just hook up the 2 0 lb tank and start her up. Do you have one of these?
Old 01-11-2017, 05:03 AM
Safety Car

^ I didn't even think of vent free, sounds much safer. I'm not sure how burning the same fuel in a vent or ventless system works in the same enclosed space. I mean where do the gases go in a vent free system? :-) Something like that would work perfectly and much safer. Seems like you can mount it on the wall out of the way as well. Will have to do some research to see if I can hook up to a standard 20 lb propane tank as I always have an extra full one around for the grill anyway. Should be simple enough to leave a gas line disconnected most of the time and when I want to use it just hook up the 2 0 lb tank and start her up. Do you have one of these?
No, I have a regular gas convection heater in my garage. What you're talking about is what I would do. You'll just have to pick up a propane gas regulator like the one on your bbq to make it work.
Old 01-11-2017, 09:54 AM
Ex-OEM King

Originally Posted by brian2
Remember that vent free is not entirely vent free. They just come with oxygen sensors on them to shut off if the levels get low and aren't forced air types of heaters. They still do emit fumes though.

atom, you can always run gas/electric lines outside the home as well if you really want to.
atomlinks (01-13-2017)
Old 01-11-2017, 10:07 AM
Safety Car

this is the garage and will see intermittent use, not the kids' bedroom. Follow the directions for safe use and you'll be fine. If he's worried he can plug a CO alarm in while he's in there.
atomlinks (01-13-2017)
Old 01-13-2017, 06:24 PM
Racer

The vent free heater looks like a really good option, and great idea about the CO alarm. One of our kids bedrooms are near the garage, the more that I read about propane and the things that can go wrong... While looking things up, you aren't supposed to store propane tanks in the garage? Who knew! Like not storing a grill in a garage with a propane tank? Something about the pressure relief valve could open, letting gas in the garage and explosion potential... Great I'm learning new things everyday..

I thought a while about how I could run electric. The panel is on the opposite end of the house in the basement and no real way to run it even outside :-( One thing that I am curious about... There is a half bath that shares the wall with the garage, and it's a 20 amp dedicated circuit. It would be pretty easy to pigtail off that circuit and put a box in the garage. Now the question is if it's against some code or something to do that.
Old 04-07-2017, 05:55 AM
Safety Car

Just got the shed done Start to Finish. It was a challenge because the backyard is on an angle but turned out to be not that bad.

Uneven ground. Used pressure treated lumber for the box.

Filled it in with 1 ton of left over from a previous project of crushed stone and topped it off with 1 ton of blue crusher stone. Also installed a weed barrier fabric and was going to throw away the arborvitae but decided to replant them here instead as a decorative piece.

Read the "whole" instructions first. It really helps.

Done!

Filled in the bare spots around the shed and the fence line with some mulch.
Old 04-07-2017, 03:42 PM
Safety Car

Received 992 Likes on 748 Posts
Can't view the pics.
Old 04-07-2017, 04:38 PM
Safety Car

Hmm. Shows up for me....Will re-post.
Old 04-07-2017, 04:52 PM
Safety Car

Base made out of pressure treated lumber.
Framing takes two people.
Voila!
The following 2 users liked this post by Nicks2001tl:
KaMLuNg (05-01-2017), pttl (04-07-2017)
Old 04-27-2017, 07:34 AM
registered pw

More fucking tile......

I still have to do the trim and paint it.The bifold doors need to be cut down a little since i had raised the floor 1/2-3/4" with the backer/mortar/tile. We're covering the scratched wood with carpet here in a couple weeks.

Nicks2001tl (04-27-2017)
Old 04-27-2017, 07:45 AM
registered pw

We chose a more expensive tile for this since we spend more time here compared to the office and formal dining room. The $200 tile saw that we had purchased from lowes worked like a champ.
Old 04-27-2017, 09:06 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 360 Likes on 319 Posts
Dude that is some awesome tile work! How much was the more expensive tile?
Old 04-27-2017, 11:07 AM
registered pw

Originally Posted by Jakes_tl
Dude that is some awesome tile work! How much was the more expensive tile?
I think this was $4.59 sqft. It was nowhere close to the 7-10 sqft stuff that's out there. The tile was about $1100 and then another $3-400 or so for supplies.