Health & Fitness You're fat. Get skinny…

Whey Protein = Stomach cramps, diarrhea?

Old 09-14-2010, 07:29 AM
Safety Car

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts
Whey Protein = Stomach cramps, diarrhea?

I've been working out for years now, but never took any supplements to go along with it. A guy a play football with suggested I start using Whey protein so I picked some up this weekend and started using it yesterday mixing it with milk (one cup of milk with one scoop of Whey protein.)

One scoop of whey provides 26g of protein so I did one scoop last night right after working out and another scoop with milk this morning since I hardly ever have time for breakfast.

Last night I was fine, but when I woke up this morning, I couldn't help but notice my stomach pains I've already been to the bathroom 3 times since I've woke up 2 hours ago. I feel ok now, but I'm pretty sure my stomach issues is a result of the whey protein.

Is this normal?

Will this continue or will the side effect wear off over time?

Anything I can do to prevent the stomach pains and diarrhea?

Last edited by WdnUlik2no; 09-14-2010 at 07:32 AM.
Old 09-14-2010, 07:37 AM

Received 16,261 Likes on 11,972 Posts
This is normal.
Try drinking the protein concoction slower. Instead of downing it, take a few sips here and there. Also, you might want to check out Soy based protein as opposed to whey.

How big of a tub did you buy? What brand?
What are your goals? Loose weight, tone up, be mr. universe?

Last edited by justnspace; 09-14-2010 at 07:41 AM.
Old 09-14-2010, 07:41 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds like you might be lactose intolerant.
Sometimes, the symptoms will subside once you use the product more, sometimes they won't...
Whey is a highly concetrated dose of lactose, so if you are 'sensetive' to it, (most everyone is at some level), could be just a few days to adjust to it.
I worked out for years, drank tons of milk, protein drinks, ice cream, you name it. Then I began to notice issues with dairy.
Now I use/drink soy milk and take an over-the-counter pill for it and I'm fine.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:09 AM
Safety Car

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by justnspace
This is normal.
Try drinking the protein concoction slower. Instead of downing it, take a few sips here and there. Also, you might want to check out Soy based protein as opposed to whey.

How big of a tub did you buy? What brand?
What are your goals? Loose weight, tone up, be mr. universe?
Well I'm 5'11 180, so this is about where I want to be weight wise; I was looking to be between 175 - 180, but my main goal is toning up and lowering my body fat percentage.

I bought two 2 pound tubs of Body Fortress™ Whey Protein. one chocolate and one vanilla, I using the vanilla now. and I mixed it with whole milk, I was considering trying skim milk next.

But yeah I did drink it fast last night and this morning and a few minutes later I was in the bathroom.

Originally Posted by bkwill
Sometimes, the symptoms will subside once you use the product more, sometimes they won't...
Whey is a highly concetrated dose of lactose, so if you are 'sensetive' to it, (most everyone is at some level), could be just a few days to adjust to it.
I worked out for years, drank tons of milk, protein drinks, ice cream, you name it. Then I began to notice issues with dairy.
quite possible; I used to drink milk all time when I was a kid and teenager, but as I got older I just never really cared for it out of fear it would make me sick. The only time I drink it now is with cereal which is rare, I don't even eat ice cream or cheese that much. But if the Whey protein already has a lot of lactose in it and I mix it with whole milk that very well could be causing the stomach issues.

Thanks guys! I'll try to finish this jug possibly with skim milk (or even water) then I'll look to the soy based products if the stomach problems don't subside.

Last edited by WdnUlik2no; 09-14-2010 at 08:12 AM.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:17 AM

You're welcome.
Drinking it slower, usually works for me.

OH and join our acurazine weight loss thread.
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...=789316&page=2
Old 09-14-2010, 03:21 PM
Above n Beyond

Received 132 Likes on 50 Posts
Option #1 - Drink it slower
Option #2 - drink the one in the morning with water and not milk.

Same happened when I was on whey (now on pure isolate) and this helped.
Old 09-14-2010, 04:42 PM
Suzuka Master

I always drink mine with water. Sure it doesn't taste as good, but it doesn't end up getting flushed down the toilet either.
Old 09-14-2010, 07:53 PM
Burning Brakes

This could be a loading stage as some protein based supplements have this. Give it some time and if it continues try it with water and if that fails it may just be that particular product. Also as well as protein I would stick with whey.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:16 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by bkwill
It could be lactose intolerance. You should be able to adjust to it after a few days. I had the same issue when I started using whey protein. It took a few days to adjust, now I down a shake and don't feel a thing.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:30 PM

There shouldn't be any loading phase with any kind of supplement.
there is no need to load whey protein.
There is no need to load any variations of creatine.

you use a whey protein right after a workout, because its a fast digesting protein.
It will digest in about 30 minutes, reaching your muscles faster than a casein form of protein. Which will digest more slowly, over a 2-7 hour period.

Creatin is very harmful to your kidney and liver in high dosage. When you load, you're basically swallowing 5grams of creatine for breakfast,lunch, and dinner. thats a high dose of creatine in a week.
the correct way, is to eat 5 grams per day after a workout. you're supposed to drink lots of water throughout the day so your kidney and liver are safe.
Old 09-16-2010, 01:28 PM
RIP Dime...

This is not necessarily a normal thing. A lot may be due to the type of protein your using and the quality of it. I'm personally highly sensitive to cheaper protein with filler, and STILL have the same issues. I've had to move to higher quality protein and have since been fine.