Health & Fitness You're fat. Get skinny…

What should I do at the gym?

Old 02-28-2006, 09:07 PM
I now drive an accord....

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What should I do at the gym?

I finally decided its time to join a gym. Ive gone twice soo far and I really like it but I need help finding what I should do while im there. Im 195-200 at 5'7" and there a good bit of fat in there I would really like to loose some weight and tone up, but my favorite thing to do at the gym is lift even though I think that goes against loosing weight.

I need your help.........Thanks
Old 02-28-2006, 09:18 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lifting doesn't go against losing weight. Building muscle increases your basal metabolic rate but it takes too long to happen to have any demonstrable results.

Try augmenting your workout with some cardio. Doing the weight loss cycle on and elliptical machine is a good way to burn an additional 500 -1000 calories per day if your willing to put in the time and get conditioned first.
Old 03-01-2006, 08:54 AM
Go Giants

Received 1,232 Likes on 822 Posts
You may want to wait to join a gym until you are closer to your goal weight. You shoud jog and diet. Then when you are closer to your goal, you should join and do a mixture of cardio and weights.
Old 03-01-2006, 09:08 AM
I now drive an accord....

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Whiskers
You may want to wait to join a gym until you are closer to your goal weight. You shoud jog and diet. Then when you are closer to your goal, you should join and do a mixture of cardio and weights.
Well I already joined and I don't want to lose the processing fee I paid. In theory I agree that I should jog and diet, but its never gonna happen. I have been telling my self I was gonna do that for the last 8 years or so. My biggest problem is that when home I sit on my arse instead of jogging or other activities. Im cheap so if I know im paying for a gym membership im gonna make sure I go. So far ive done mostly cardio (recumbunt bike, treadmill, eliptical runner) so ill see how it goes
Old 03-01-2006, 09:27 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1) it's spelled "lose", not "loose."

2) Good job on joining the gym. Be prepared to work hard

3) There's a difference between gaining weight and gaining fat. Weight can be fat, muscle, water, whatever- it's just a number on the scale. Fat is what you don't want to gain. Lifting weights will IN NO WAY make your body put on fat. Not at ALL.

4) If you want to lose fat get your diet in line. That is what controls your progress. Lifting weights will enhance that progress, but you've gotta have your diet squared away. Check out the nutrition sticky for help with that.

5) The routine in the workout sticky will do you just fine. Spend one week doing the routine with a tiny amount of weight. Deadlift, squat and bench just the bar. Use this time to learn the exercises and their proper form. Make SURE you get your form right. The next week add a little weight and again focus on proper form. After those two weeks throw on a ton of weight and hit it hard.