Health & Fitness You're fat. Get skinny…

Stronglifts 5x5

Old 03-31-2009, 12:36 AM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Received 2,000 Likes on 1,173 Posts
Stronglifts 5x5

I searched and only found a few older threads...

Anyone doing this or try this before?

http://stronglifts.com/blog/

I just started (after a week solid of 45min/day cardio).

It's been a while since I spent any time in the gym on a regular basis (maybe 10-12 months... ) and I will say, this is a great "feeling" workout. I feel totally spent, but not like I am going to be so sore tomorrow that I can't function, like when I used to run stadium steps...

Granted, this was day one of week one on the spreadsheet, but since the entire workout took about 45 minutes with 30 seconds between reps and 60 seconds between exercises, plus I did 15 min of cardio after (could barely do it, winded), three times a week.

I think I can keep this up for a while. We will see. I need to re-organize the weight distribution on my body, though, so at this point I think that ANYTHING I do with some consistency will be a vast improvement.

I am also cleaning up my diet to a great degree, although the occasional slip will occur, I am sure. Is a 16 ounce ribeye a slip?
Old 03-31-2009, 06:21 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oh boy... Stronglifts.........where to begin.

While Mehdi's website has a TON of useful information about various programs, the different lifts with diagrams, and so forth... I have issues with the stronglifts 5x5. It's advertised as a beginner routine, and it has a bit too much volume for a beginner... You'd get faster gains using Starting Strength. SS has higher intensity but lower volume, something beginners need. You don't really need to lower volume until you reach a more intermediate stage.

If it were me, I'd buy the book Starting Strength (regardless of what routine I use), hop on the SS routine for about 6 months, and after you stall a few times try Madcow's 5x5 Intermediate program. It's based on an old school Bill Starr (godfather of strength training) routine, and it works. I gained about 20 lbs and my bench went from 275-300, deadlift ended at 495, and squat went from 300 to 360 all in about 10 weeks.

Still, the routine isn't as important as the hard work and dedication you put into your work. Best advice I can give you.
Old 03-31-2009, 12:00 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cmanuel
Still, the routine isn't as important as the hard work and dedication you put into your work. Best advice I can give you.
True Indeed!
Old 03-31-2009, 01:38 PM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

While Mehdi's website has a TON of useful information about various programs, the different lifts with diagrams, and so forth... I have issues with the stronglifts 5x5. It's advertised as a beginner routine, and it has a bit too much volume for a beginner... You'd get faster gains using Starting Strength. SS has higher intensity but lower volume, something beginners need. You don't really need to lower volume until you reach a more intermediate stage.

If it were me, I'd buy the book Starting Strength (regardless of what routine I use), hop on the SS routine for about 6 months, and after you stall a few times try Madcow's 5x5 Intermediate program. It's based on an old school Bill Starr (godfather of strength training) routine, and it works. I gained about 20 lbs and my bench went from 275-300, deadlift ended at 495, and squat went from 300 to 360 all in about 10 weeks.

Thanks for the info!
Old 04-01-2009, 06:45 PM
Land of Pleasant Living

I started it in the beginning of January!

I did read all about the different opinions on it and alternate/similar programs before choosing StrongLifts.
I am an absolute beginner, and the StrongLifts routine appealed more to me. Like Cmanuel said, Mehdi's site is awesome, and that was a big plus when trying to start from square one.
I read all the stuff about various reps and sets, and I decided 5 sets would really be a good idea when trying to learn lift technique on my own.
Now that I have what I think is a fairly good idea of how to properly perform the lifts, I worry more about getting in at least 3 intense sets, rather than completing all 5.
If the first three sets are strong, regardless of how I do on the last two, I move on with the weight next time. If I can't finish the first three sets with proper form, I move onto the next lift and try that weight again next time.
But I usually try to do all 5 sets if I can, unless I'm really hurting or ill or something.

I substituted Barbell Rows for the Inverted Rows, as I have no safe way of doing them at home.

I am just starting to work on my diet. I am having huge trouble getting it together, but I'm making progress. I can already tell it makes a big difference in gains.

I know it is a strength program, not a size program, but I do wish I had more size. All the muscles I have are very firm, but they aren't very big.

What would happen if I did 3 sets of the weight I've progressed to, but then did 2 sets of many more reps with lower weight?
Will this help size, be a waste, or even be counterproductive?
Old 04-01-2009, 09:40 PM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Thanks for the info Shnee.

Eat a shot ton more protein. Get the powder. Start at 1gram per pound of body weight per day and go up if you don't see results.
Old 04-01-2009, 10:19 PM
Land of Pleasant Living

Yeah I bought a huge jug of whey isolate last week. I am drinking about three hefty servings a day.
I'm still not close to where I need to be (according to shit I've read about how much that is), but I'm getting closer.
The hard part is eating lunch. I don't really have a way of doing that.
I take protein bars with me, but it still isn't cutting it.
Oh well.
Old 04-02-2009, 11:04 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by shnee420
Yeah I bought a huge jug of whey isolate last week. I am drinking about three hefty servings a day.
I'm still not close to where I need to be (according to shit I've read about how much that is), but I'm getting closer.
The hard part is eating lunch. I don't really have a way of doing that.
I take protein bars with me, but it still isn't cutting it.
Oh well.
What are your current stats now?

Google the harris-benedict formula, determine your Basal Metabolic Rate for your activity level, and then add 500-750 calories on top of that. This total caloric level is what you should strive to acheive every day. This is the only sure fire way to gain weight.

If you are a beginner, I wouldnt switch to 10-12 rep program yet. First, if you change to that rep range, you are out of the strength building range (which is usually 6 or less reps, depends on who you ask). As a noobie, your central nervous system develops rapidly to handle increasingly larger loads, this is where the so-called newbie gains come in. MILK THIS FOR ALL ITS WORTH!!!

Second, if you change your rep range... your form will break down. Think about it. If you are new to working out, probably the most single important aspect is for you to learn proper form in order to elicit the most benefit from each exercise and also to ensure that you do not get injured. If you change to a rep range that is 2x higher than what you are used to do, your form is going to struggle at those top reps, unless you lower the weights dramatically.

I had great size gains doing a little more advanced 5x5 last year. I added about 20 lbs and some seriously noticeable size in about 2.5 months. Yes my body fat went up but I took care of that recently with carb cycling and more cardio. I'm going to bulk again this summer with a 5x5 and i'll post results probably. Shooting for 210 lbs (im currently 185).
Old 04-08-2009, 06:45 PM
Land of Pleasant Living

What are your current stats now?
what stats?
Old 04-08-2009, 06:56 PM
Land of Pleasant Living

I don't plan on switching my routine, I was just wondering about adding in some lower weight higher rep sets.
I'm not into really heavy weights yet, so I guess it makes sense that I'm still rather lanky. But I was wondering if adding in size-focused sets would do me any good, while still sticking to the strength building routine.
Am I making sense?
Old 04-09-2009, 02:52 PM
Advanced

I don't plan on switching my routine, I was just wondering about adding in some lower weight higher rep sets.
I'm not into really heavy weights yet, so I guess it makes sense that I'm still rather lanky. But I was wondering if adding in size-focused sets would do me any good, while still sticking to the strength building routine.
Am I making sense?
The routine is a strength building routine. You need to stay in the strength rep range (6 reps or less usually). i wouldnt change a thing about it.
Old 04-09-2009, 06:40 PM
Land of Pleasant Living

The routine is a strength building routine. You need to stay in the strength rep range (6 reps or less usually). i wouldnt change a thing about it.
Yes, it is a strength building routine. BUT I was wondering if adding in a couple of lower weight, higher rep sets would boost my size a little (this is in addition to keeping with the stronglifts).
Old 04-09-2009, 09:44 PM
Advanced

Yes, it is a strength building routine. BUT I was wondering if adding in a couple of lower weight, higher rep sets would boost my size a little (this is in addition to keeping with the stronglifts).
Trust me on this, size is going to depend 100000000000000 times more on your diet, not just the routine. I've been there, done that.

If you want to pack on size, just eat about 500-750 calories above your maintenance calories. Dont stress about the routine. People get so damn hung up about this. Stronglifts is based around compound lifts, the type that will build size if the nutrients (aka excess calories) are there. Trust me.

So, if you want to pack on some size, EAT. Dont change the routine.
Old 04-09-2009, 10:30 PM
Land of Pleasant Living

Yeah, I'm seeing how important eating is for this. I don't think I've met my goal once for calories in a day.
Guess I'll just focus more on getting those calories in.
Old 04-10-2009, 09:07 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts
eating enough is my prob too