Health & Fitness You're fat. Get skinny…

Stopping Hair Loss

Old 01-01-2007 | 07:16 PM
Everyday Joe

Stopping Hair Loss

Hi all,
My hair is thinning back at the crown of my head....I can't believe that I'm even considering it, but....has anybody here ever tried Rogaine or Propecia or anything? Did it work? Worth the $$$$? How much is it?

I'm just vain enough that I don't think that I should have a "solar panel" on the top of my head quite yet

I suppose this is karma biting me in the ass for always busting on a couple of my close friends and their hair loss

Thanks
Old 01-01-2007 | 08:47 PM
Racer

Just get used to it man . There is no going back .
Old 01-01-2007 | 09:12 PM
Suzuka Master

My dads friend scored it big in the computer industry and has spent somewhere between 30-60 on hair restoration surgery, looks like he was never bald.

Mike
Old 01-01-2007 | 10:39 PM
nnInn

A few people that I know have used that stuff, has had some luck with it.

Me on the other hand, I'm been hoping for my hair to thin out a little as I get older, 41 now.

Not to throw it in your face, but I think my hair is getting thicker, I'm getting so tired of messing with it as thick as it is. I've cut it down to were it's no longer than an inch on top. The drawback is that half of my head in gray. A cute little 20 year old hottie told me it looked SEXY, she liked the peppered look.
Old 01-02-2007 | 09:47 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by keg1997
Hi all,
My hair is thinning back at the crown of my head....I can't believe that I'm even considering it, but....has anybody here ever tried Rogaine or Propecia or anything? Did it work? Worth the $$$$? How much is it?

I'm just vain enough that I don't think that I should have a "solar panel" on the top of my head quite yet

I suppose this is karma biting me in the ass for always busting on a couple of my close friends and their hair loss

Thanks

shave your head. that'll take care of it.... also, you'll save money on hair cuts
Old 01-02-2007 | 11:04 AM
Everyday Joe

^^^^ Funny, but I always said that I would do that instead of "fighting" hair loss. Ironically, I've been keeping my hair longer than norma for the past year or so. Now, "long" for me is 2-3 inches up top instead of 1-2. I always get asked if I'm in the military since my hair is so short and I have not visited a professional hair cutting establishment for over 10 years. My wife or I just do it with a set of clippers and the attachments.

Guess this is what I get for:
1. making fun of my bud's who have been losing hair t
2. growing out my own hair

Thanks for the input, guys....
Old 01-02-2007 | 11:22 AM
Advanced

^^^^ Funny, but I always said that I would do that instead of "fighting" hair loss. Ironically, I've been keeping my hair longer than norma for the past year or so. Now, "long" for me is 2-3 inches up top instead of 1-2. I always get asked if I'm in the military since my hair is so short and I have not visited a professional hair cutting establishment for over 10 years. My wife or I just do it with a set of clippers and the attachments.

Guess this is what I get for:
1. making fun of my bud's who have been losing hair t
2. growing out my own hair

Thanks for the input, guys....
yeah karma that’s why I try to treat people nice….but sometimes being nice will get you fired from 24 hour fitness for training people for free!!!!
oh well...at least you didn't start losing your hair while you were in your twenties!!! I started losing my hair couple of years ago, so now I just shave my head with mach 3 … at least I have a round head...
good luck bro!
Old 01-02-2007 | 11:31 AM
Über Geek

Propecia absolutely works. At least for me. I was receding and thinning steadily for a few years. I started taking it and—BAM—no more receding or thinning. And lots less leaving hair all over my pillow, shower, etc.

From what I've read, Propecia works for about 70% of men. Rogaine is around 25-30%.

There's a catch. Just touching the pill can be VERY dangerous for pregnant women. Like miscarriage-type dangerous. Not sure of your marital/offspring plans but it's something to consider.

Last edited by captainjack; 01-02-2007 at 11:34 AM.
Old 01-02-2007 | 11:36 AM
Über Geek

Oh, one other thing. Dudes who go with Hair Club for Men and transplants are easy to spot. Painfully, pathetically easy. Ever see a guy and think, "Oh, he uses Propecia"? Nope. Because you can't tell.
Old 01-02-2007 | 01:14 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by captainjack
Propecia absolutely works. At least for me. I was receding and thinning steadily for a few years. I started taking it and—BAM—no more receding or thinning. And lots less leaving hair all over my pillow, shower, etc.

From what I've read, Propecia works for about 70% of men. Rogaine is around 25-30%.

There's a catch. Just touching the pill can be VERY dangerous for pregnant women. Like miscarriage-type dangerous. Not sure of your marital/offspring plans but it's something to consider.
how is your sex drive?
Old 01-02-2007 | 02:20 PM
Suzuka Master

<----- watching this thread intently

I need something too. I don't wanna shave my head. It's funny shaped
Old 01-02-2007 | 02:43 PM
Next Car Coming Soon

my brother's hairline was thinning out very badly, he used rogaine and it seems fine now... but i think you have to continue to use it though
Old 01-02-2007 | 03:42 PM
Über Geek

Originally Posted by mattg
how is your sex drive?
I have two kids so it can't be too bad.

But seriously, I can't say I notice a big difference. Maybe a slight drop? Or maybe I'm 38 and it would be changing anyway?

Ads for Propecia allude to "sexual side effects" but I think those are more about equipment performance than drive. That's because Propecia is really just a smaller dose of Proscar, a blood pressure medication.

And you know what blood and pressure effect, right?
Old 01-02-2007 | 06:48 PM
Senior Moderator

wood?

is propecia only for the back of the head? I'm not thinning at all back there. I only have the standard slight thinning above the temples. not too bad though.
Old 01-02-2007 | 07:33 PM
Everyday Joe

Thanks for the heads-up on the pregnancy thing....wifey and I are going to start trying for #2 next month

Sure hope I'm not successful for a couple of months
Old 01-22-2007 | 02:09 AM
Racer

I'm a licensed pharmacy intern (on my way to being a doctorate/licensed pharmacist). I would definitely make an appointment with your doc to talk about Propecia. Great drug for thinning/balding. Captain's correct about the issue with women...but as long as your girl isn't touching it, no worries.
Old 01-22-2007 | 02:25 PM
99 TL, 06 E350

<--- has to much hair and its too thick...has to get hair cut once a month.
Old 01-22-2007 | 02:31 PM
Go Giants

Originally Posted by She-L-S
I'm a licensed pharmacy intern (on my way to being a doctorate/licensed pharmacist). I would definitely make an appointment with your doc to talk about Propecia. Great drug for thinning/balding. Captain's correct about the issue with women...but as long as your girl isn't touching it, no worries.
Which one are you?
Old 01-22-2007 | 07:50 PM
Racer

Which what am I??
Old 01-23-2007 | 01:21 AM
Go Giants

Originally Posted by She-L-S
Which what am I??
In the avatar....
Old 01-23-2007 | 06:23 AM
Three Wheelin'

How do you go about getting propecia?
Old 01-23-2007 | 12:24 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Whiskers
In the avatar....
Oh! I'm the blonde.

Originally Posted by MikeCLS6
How do you go about getting propecia?
It's prescription only. Just make an appt. with your doc and voice your thinning/balding concerns to them. It's pretty easy to get prescribed. Since it's a brand name though it can be a bit pricey...so if your insurance doesn't cover it, I'd ask for a price before you pick it up from the pharmacy!
Old 01-23-2007 | 09:10 PM
Synaesthesia sounds sweet

She'd have to be pregnant with a boy for it to cause problems.

My father used it for a few years and some of his hair started to grow back. It plained out though and he discontinued.
Old 02-05-2007 | 03:12 PM
Instructor

Hi all,
Thanks
You should start off with Minoxidil if you are losing hair around your crown area since thats what its designed to protect. I know a few people taking SpectralDNC and I have seen regrowth in that area on them. If you start taking a Minoxidil and it still isnt doing the trick and you decide to get on Propecia- start off with .5mg instead of a whole one... apparently thats all the average man's body requires (itll save you money too).

I skipped out on Minoxidil and went straight for Propecia a couple years ago because I was losing around my temple and forhead area. It stopped the hairloss completely. Since them I have been trying to ween myself off propecia using a natural route following the top 6 in this regimine.
http://www.freewebs.com/immortalhair...entregimen.htm
No serious side effects for me on propecia, but I do know people who cant take it because the sides are so bad.

Last edited by eezeekial; 02-05-2007 at 03:15 PM.
Old 02-05-2007 | 03:42 PM
Racer

Minoxidil is Rogaine....and that IS a good first option except for one reason: If you have insurance, it may cover the Propecia, but would not cover the Rogaine since it's OTC. I'd talk to your doctor and let him/her determine your propecia dose. Not sure where you read that .5mg is an adequate dose, but the 1mg tabs are only 65% bioavailable anyhow, so I wouldn't cut them in half.

As far as pricing goes, it really depends on the pharmacy and on whether or not you have insurance. In my pharmacy (just to give you a rough idea), a month's supply of Propecia is ~$80 without insurnace.
Old 02-05-2007 | 03:45 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Schizm
She'd have to be pregnant with a boy for it to cause problems.
That's true. The main concern is with the male fetus. BUT...just touching the pill probably wouldn't do any damage as long as it was intact. The tabs are film-coated, so unless she was touching broken tabs, probably wouldn't be a problem. Best just to avoid contact.