Health & Fitness You're fat. Get skinny…

Starting to train for a half marathon... !

Old 10-07-2009, 10:58 PM
how handsome I am

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Starting to train for a half marathon... !

Wow, pretty excited but im getting ready to start training for a half marathon. 13mi.

A friend of mine is running it too, so i got a training buddy.

Any tips from experienced Marathon-ers on the board? Thanks.

-Alex
Old 10-07-2009, 11:30 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
When is the run?

If you haven't been active in a while start slow. And make sure you have good shoes.
Old 10-07-2009, 11:30 PM
One on the right for me

When is the run?

If you haven't been active in a while start slow. And make sure you have good shoes.
Old 10-08-2009, 10:28 AM
on to the next one...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by agranado
Wow, pretty excited but im getting ready to start training for a half marathon. 13mi.

A friend of mine is running it too, so i got a training buddy.

Any tips from experienced Marathon-ers on the board? Thanks.

-Alex
Congrats!

I just ran my first 10-Mile on Sunday and I'll be running a half Marathon in the spring followed by a full Marathon next fall.

When I trained for my 10-mile, I followed this training schedule: http://www.halhigdon.com/halfmarathon/inter.htm

Hal Higdon is regarded by many as the marathon training guru and his training schedule worked very well for me and I will continue to follow the rest of his training guides as I continue up to my first marathon. And best of all, all of his "general" training schedules and information is free and readily available at his website. There's also a lot to learn about your diet before the race and during the race as well, so brush up on that.

Best of luck to you and let us know how it goes!
Old 10-08-2009, 11:32 AM
registered pw

Received 354 Likes on 252 Posts
i haven't done one yet, but will have to find a training schedule. good luck.
Old 10-08-2009, 05:00 PM
how handsome I am

well i went ahead and did a little over 4mi (approx.4.3/4.4) yesterday, and I felt great after finishing up. Knees were a little sore, but aside from that I wasn't gasping for air at any time, and i finished strong.

However, overnight I guess someone @home left the AC really low, and I got sick overnight. Fuck me. Looks like I might have to wait until sunday/monday, possibly tuesday to get back to running (depending on how long I stay like this.)
Old 10-08-2009, 05:00 PM
how handsome I am

well i went ahead and did a little over 4mi (approx.4.3/4.4) yesterday, and I felt great after finishing up. Knees were a little sore, but aside from that I wasn't gasping for air at any time, and i finished strong.

However, overnight I guess someone @home left the AC really low, and I got sick overnight. Fuck me. Looks like I might have to wait until sunday/monday, possibly tuesday to get back to running (depending on how long I stay like this.)
Old 10-08-2009, 05:09 PM
how handsome I am

Originally Posted by bgsm1th
Congrats!

I just ran my first 10-Mile on Sunday and I'll be running a half Marathon in the spring followed by a full Marathon next fall.

When I trained for my 10-mile, I followed this training schedule: http://www.halhigdon.com/halfmarathon/inter.htm

Hal Higdon is regarded by many as the marathon training guru and his training schedule worked very well for me and I will continue to follow the rest of his training guides as I continue up to my first marathon. And best of all, all of his "general" training schedules and information is free and readily available at his website. There's also a lot to learn about your diet before the race and during the race as well, so brush up on that.

Best of luck to you and let us know how it goes!
man, that link is amazing. Thanks so much. Im gonna share this schedule with my bud and see what he says. I think the intermediate is very possible for me though. I was steadily doing 2.5 3-5 times a week up until yesterday for about 2-3 months. Jumping right into this shouldnt be too much of a hassle. Again, thank you so much and Ill post my progress.
Old 10-10-2009, 06:38 AM
Everyday Joe

Here are some thoughts from a guy who ran competitively in college and has completed 6-8 half marathons (no fulls...that is CRAZY to run 26 miles

- Work your way up to at least a 10 mile run. The logic is that if you can run 10 miles, you can easily make it 13. Same thing for a marathon- most training programs want you to have a long run of 20 miles before the race.

- On the flip side, I'm a big fan of trying to get a 13 mile training run in. Mentally, it just feels better "knowing" that you can complete the distance.

- This long run should be 3-4 weeks before the race. You'll want to taper (wind down) your mileage as you get closer to the race. You want to feel fresh and ready for the race and not still be recovering from a tough run.

- You may want to look into getting lighter racing shoes for the race. Just make sure that you wear them some before the race. You don't want to run your race griping about your new shoes!!!

- Figure out your intended pace for the race and go out 30-60 seconds slower for the first mile. This is way tougher than it sounds b/c race day excitement may carry you out faster than you intend to go. I also felt that mentally it was better to feel stronger and go faster as the race progressed than to "hang on" and just finish the race.

- I'll bet that you'll want to do more races after the first. There is such a thing as a runner's high, but I believe more in the overall positive health impact of running and staying in shape. My runs are just as much mental health as physical health.

Good luck!
Old 10-10-2009, 07:35 AM
Go Giants

Received 1,235 Likes on 824 Posts
Cool. Good luck.
Old 10-13-2009, 10:28 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Not really experienced, but did my first half last May. I agree with Keg with at least one run longer than 10 miles. Depending on what plan you may follow, some will include a 12 or 13 mile run and some max out at ten. I did two 12 mile runs before my half, the first was 3 wks out, second was 2 weeks out. You won't need to taper as much for a half as you do for a full. Higdon has some great training plans but the only thing I don't really like is they don't give you paces, and if you are a beginner as I was, you may over train or not train as well as you may be able to. Runnersworld.com has a app called "Smart Coach" which you enter in some data fields and it will develop a customized training plan with runs, distances, pace times, etc. I will be using this to develop my training plan to train for the same half this May. Good luck with the training.
Old 10-15-2009, 12:25 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Hills, Hills, Hills. Be sure to do some hill training. I just finished my first half-mary a month ago and besides starting a little slower I wish I did more hill training.

Good luck
Old 10-15-2009, 12:42 AM
i want to ride my bicycle

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
awesome! the main thing to focus on is getting in some long runs, 1/2 marathons (and much more so full marathons) take a toll on your body so getting used to being able to run 10+ miles will definitely help.

A training programs is really the best thing to keep you motivated and mix things up. The last thing you want to do is get burnt out running less than you should be as you come up to the race.

As for the actual runs any time your are running over an hour I'd make sure you carry some water and any time I get over 1.5 hours I'll bring a gel, goo, blocks, something to get some calories.

For longer runs as you are getting started think about negative splitting the run (the second 1/2 faster than the first) this will let you take it out a little easier and then you have the confidence of finishing strong.

Runner's world has a cool program to get a schedule laid out (this is what '06 Arctic mentioned):
http://www.runnersworld.com/cda/smar...-0-0-0,00.html

I've got the Denver full this Sunday and am just wrapping up my training

Last edited by leftride; 10-15-2009 at 12:44 AM.
Old 10-15-2009, 09:44 AM
on to the next one...

Originally Posted by leftride
awesome! the main thing to focus on is getting in some long runs, 1/2 marathons (and much more so full marathons) take a toll on your body so getting used to being able to run 10+ miles will definitely help.

A training programs is really the best thing to keep you motivated and mix things up. The last thing you want to do is get burnt out running less than you should be as you come up to the race.

As for the actual runs any time your are running over an hour I'd make sure you carry some water and any time I get over 1.5 hours I'll bring a gel, goo, blocks, something to get some calories.

For longer runs as you are getting started think about negative splitting the run (the second 1/2 faster than the first) this will let you take it out a little easier and then you have the confidence of finishing strong.

Runner's world has a cool program to get a schedule laid out (this is what '06 Arctic mentioned):
http://www.runnersworld.com/cda/smar...-0-0-0,00.html

Agree with all of this...

Best of luck on your Marathon this week! What time are you shooting for?
Old 10-15-2009, 03:01 PM
One on the right for me

I've always wanted to do this but I think my biggest problem would be controlling the diet enough to make an improvement aside from just cardio. I've never really had a problem running long distances or getting in shape but I've also never really wanted to give up beer and good food.

Let us know how the half marathon goes
Old 10-15-2009, 06:16 PM

Agree with all of this...

Best of luck on your Marathon this week! What time are you shooting for?
thanks, with the Denver course I'm planning on 3:20-3:25.
Old 10-16-2009, 09:01 AM
on to the next one...

thanks, with the Denver course I'm planning on 3:20-3:25.
Suite! My goal for my first marathon next year is just to keep it under 4 hours.
Old 10-16-2009, 09:22 AM

Suite! My goal for my first marathon next year is just to keep it under 4 hours.
I think that is everyones goal for their first, I managed to squeak buy with a 3:58 a few years ago good luck
Old 10-16-2009, 09:14 PM
how handsome I am

in which case should I be finishing my half marathon in under 2?
Old 10-19-2009, 10:35 AM
Burning Brakes

in which case should I be finishing my half marathon in under 2?
I think you need to base your time goals on what you feel you can realistically obtain. For some people, they are happy with just finishing a half let alone getting under 2 hours. But as left stated, finishing under 4 hours is a common goal for first time marathoners who have a good base fitness level. This will be my goal for the '10 Pittsburgh Marathon.

I ran a few 5ks before I started to train and used those times as a starting point for my goals. I actually set 3, a time < 1:50:xx which I would have been flying on cloud nine, a time < 1:55:XX which i would be really happy with, and < 2:00:xx which is what i trained for. Ended up running a 1:56:20 which now that I look back on it and where my fitness was, am very happy with.
Old 10-19-2009, 11:27 AM

+1 to arctic's comments.

I too usually set a few goals and then based on my training see what happens.

Also as you runs get longer you will have a good feel for the what pace is comfortable.

(e.g. for my marathon training I was running ~8mi miles for my race I ended up with a 7:43 avg)
Old 10-19-2009, 12:38 PM
on to the next one...

+1 to arctic's comments.

I too usually set a few goals and then based on my training see what happens.

Also as you runs get longer you will have a good feel for the what pace is comfortable.

(e.g. for my marathon training I was running ~8mi miles for my race I ended up with a 7:43 avg)
...so, what is that? ~3:15?
Old 10-19-2009, 12:45 PM

...so, what is that? ~3:15?
3:24:07
Old 10-19-2009, 02:06 PM
Burning Brakes

Great job Left. My sister-in-law ran the Baystate Marathon this weekend and meet her goal of qualifying for Boston. Was that a BQ time for our age group?
Old 10-19-2009, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by '06 Arctic
Great job Left. My sister-in-law ran the Baystate Marathon this weekend and meet her goal of qualifying for Boston. Was that a BQ time for our age group?
nope, 3:10 is the Q, at some point I will try a nice flat race like Chicago or Houston to see if I can qualify, but it won't be easy and to be quite frank i'd rather ride my bike than train for a marathon

congrats to your sister in law, Boston is quite an accomplishment.
Old 10-19-2009, 03:07 PM
on to the next one...

Nice work!
Old 10-19-2009, 04:45 PM

Nice work!
thanks

and everyone in this thread who is running good luck and keep us posted!

oh and my official pace was 7:48 (7:43 was off my Garmin, which said the race was 26.43, not sure what was up since 3 people I ran with had higher milages)
Old 10-19-2009, 07:44 PM
Burning Brakes

thanks

and everyone in this thread who is running good luck and keep us posted!

oh and my official pace was 7:48 (7:43 was off my Garmin, which said the race was 26.43, not sure what was up since 3 people I ran with had higher milages)
I have had the same thing happen with my Garmin. I believe it is due to the way that the USTA measures courses. They do it on a point to point method. they don't measure any bends also if you were weaving to pass people, I'm sure that would add on some distance.

+1 on the bike comment. I would much rather do centuries, but it kinda works out good since the Pittsburgh Marathon is the first weekend in May, it gets me a good base for cycling.

How's the training going Agranado?
Old 10-20-2009, 11:25 AM
registered pw

Received 354 Likes on 252 Posts
damn, that's a great time. congrats
Old 10-24-2009, 07:55 AM
Everyday Joe

Just to add something else out there...I love my Garmin Forerunner 305. That thing is magical for training. Everything from the basic mileage to the pace to the heart rate is huge. It gives me a MUCH better picture of how hard I'm working, where I'm at physically, and what parts of my run I need to work on. Plus, it provides a little something to distract you while you're running. Instead of thinking how much you hurt, you're seeing how far you've gone and what kind of pace you're running.
Old 10-25-2009, 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by dallison
damn, that's a great time. congrats
thanks dallison, I was happy with the time

Originally Posted by keg1997
Just to add something else out there...I love my Garmin Forerunner 305. That thing is magical for training. Everything from the basic mileage to the pace to the heart rate is huge. It gives me a MUCH better picture of how hard I'm working, where I'm at physically, and what parts of my run I need to work on. Plus, it provides a little something to distract you while you're running. Instead of thinking how much you hurt, you're seeing how far you've gone and what kind of pace you're running.
+1 I never leave the house without my 305, running or biking.
Old 11-01-2009, 07:24 AM
Everyday Joe

Ran my first race in years (at least 4) yesterday- 10K at the Va Beach oceanfront.

I had two goals- the first was to at least run 8:20min/miles. My best case scenario was 8:00min/miles. I felt good all race- went out on a 8:45 first mile and ended up running 7:54 min/miles. I need to figure out my heart rate deal though b/c I spent the last 2 miles over the expected HR- I was at 186-190 range.

I was quite pleased considering that I've only been running consistently for the past month. I've already dropped 8 pounds in that month.

Now, I've got to keep the running up through the winter months...I hate the cold!
Old 11-01-2009, 10:13 AM

Now, I've got to keep the running up through the winter months...I hate the cold!
it's all about the gear. with the right gear it's not bad at all. i've actually started to enjoy running in the cold air.
Old 11-03-2009, 09:29 PM
how handsome I am

Update: Well, my training has not come along the way I would have liked it to up to now. I'm still exercising and feeling much more fit than I have over the past couple years, but am nowhere near where I should be as far as prepping for a 13mi. run is concerned. 5k is no question, and I'm confident I'm in 10k territory... I will be testing that theory out very soon.
Old 11-03-2009, 09:30 PM
how handsome I am

Ran my first race in years (at least 4) yesterday- 10K at the Va Beach oceanfront.

I had two goals- the first was to at least run 8:20min/miles. My best case scenario was 8:00min/miles. I felt good all race- went out on a 8:45 first mile and ended up running 7:54 min/miles. I need to figure out my heart rate deal though b/c I spent the last 2 miles over the expected HR- I was at 186-190 range.

I was quite pleased considering that I've only been running consistently for the past month. I've already dropped 8 pounds in that month.

This sounds excellent! Congrats man.
Old 11-04-2009, 08:23 AM
Burning Brakes

Update: Well, my training has not come along the way I would have liked it to up to now. I'm still exercising and feeling much more fit than I have over the past couple years, but am nowhere near where I should be as far as prepping for a 13mi. run is concerned. 5k is no question, and I'm confident I'm in 10k territory... I will be testing that theory out very soon.
When is your half again? I didn't see it earlier in this thread. If you are using one of Higdon's plans, usually they are 12 weeks for a half. If this is true, you still have two months to train. When i did my first half last May, I "trained" for it, but didn't really follow any plan. Just make sure you build up your miles gradually, they say you shouldn't increase them more than 10% per week. And make sure you get in at least one 12 mile run. i did two and I was able to survive and break that 2 hour mark. I'm sure you will be fine. Just keep plugging along
Old 11-04-2009, 09:42 PM
One on the right for me

I am seriously considering picking one of those up. They look pretty cool.
Old 11-05-2009, 06:54 AM
Burning Brakes

+1 to loving the Garmin. I got a Forerunner 305 from Best Buy last year, they had them on sale of $99!!!! They are a awesome training tool. What I really like about it is you can run pretty much anywhere, if on vacation or traveling for work, and still know what distance you ran.
Old 11-05-2009, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by '06 Arctic
What I really like about it is you can run pretty much anywhere, if on vacation or traveling for work, and still know what distance you ran.
and it can get you back to the start of your run when you get lost in a new area
Old 11-09-2009, 10:58 AM
on to the next one...

...So, I just got back from a weekend in Denver and went for a run with my friends up around Red Rocks.

On top of getting dehydrated as hell, I've never felt more out of shape. I've skied in the mountains for years, but that was my first real run at that elevation - good lord, if you can run a 3:24 marathon there, you can run a sub-3 anywhere else!

Quick Reply: Starting to train for a half marathon... !