Health & Fitness You're fat. Get skinny…

Shin splints or worse?

Old 10-23-2006, 04:11 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Shin splints or worse?

Hey... I finally got of my lazy ass and started running again 6 days ago, 2 days ago I got insoles because I was having a similar pain in both legs.

Anyway, I am starting off slow, about 1-1 1/4 miles at 7:30 a mile on a treadmill. I am a relativly high impact runner, don't know why. Anyway, my legs have been really bothering me on the inner sides of my shins during after the run, and it usually fades in and out depending how much I'm on my feet. I don't really know how to describe it other than sort of "cold" and throbbing feeling.

I am a hypocondriac, however, I don't think its possible to get stress fractures after only a couple days(when it first started) of running, but I read somewhere that if you have localized pain that increases with pressure, it may be stress fractures.

I thought what better place to ask than acurazine... I am going to see an orthopedist this week if it doesn't get any better, and/or if you guys think its at all possible I got two stress fractures after two days of running on two opposite legs in the same place.

Finally, the pain is not too severe, so I am going to do todays run, not long enough to do any severe damage. However, if it didnt hurt at all, I could probably be doing two miles.

Thanks,

Mike

Last edited by crazymjb; 10-23-2006 at 04:15 PM.
Old 10-23-2006, 05:30 PM
Crabcakes and Football!!!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
I constantly get shin splints if I dont wear the proper shoes. In fact my left shin is bothering me right now. Stupidly, I wore my shox to run the past 2 days instead of my sauconys. you need to find out whether you pronate or supanate and then find the best shoes for you. I dont recommend continuing running so hard core until you figure things out. Maybe you should try walking in the mean time
Old 10-23-2006, 05:42 PM
The hair says it all

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can't imagine that you would get a fracture from running (on a treadmill no less since the landing is usually soft because the beds have a little give). Since this is the H&F area I will be the first to tell you to go running on the road or track or get on an eliptical, IMO treadmills are for the birds. You should also be able to do way more than 1 1/4 on a treadmill since there is basically no resistance.

Since you are getting that much pain from little distance and very little time (only 6 days) the signs point to your shoes. When I did track in HS a new (but expensive) pair of shoes took most of my pain away. If it isn't the shoes I would have to say that you are just not cut out for running, not everyone's body can take it as primary exercise (I have become that way) so you might want to think about biking or something else that is non impact.
Old 10-23-2006, 05:57 PM

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts
Sounds like it's probably shin splints. I get them up the front of my shins, so I can't use jogging as a form of exercise. I can even get them from walking if I'm walking very quickly and really slapping my foot down on the pavement too. A proper pair of running shoes + proper form when you run + a softer ground to absorb some of the impact might help (treadmill or grass would be better than running on the road). Or, do your joints good and find an exercise alternative that won't have such jarring, harsh impacts to your body (eg: elliptical, swimming).
Old 10-23-2006, 06:25 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 150 Likes on 109 Posts
Mike, you may want to consult AZ's resident physician Michiraces2much. I fear it may be cancer.
Old 10-23-2006, 06:33 PM
Crabcakes and Football!!!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
THIS IS NOT CANCER its simple shin splints, smart ass :p
Old 10-23-2006, 06:51 PM
Suzuka Master

I've always used these shoes in the past. Now, I believe the insoles are starting to kick in, the pain didn't stick around as long today. I have high arches, so my feet would bend in, I could feel it. Also, my calves are disproportionately stronger than the opposite muscles.

Yes I know I should be able to do MUCH more than 1.25 miles... I really went to shit this summer, 185 to 200... But I have been holding steady at that, and have been putting on some more muscle lately, but still.

Once I get a little more settled in to my school schedule I think I am going to start going to the gym as regularly as possible.

Mike
Old 10-23-2006, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by crazymjb
Yes I know I should be able to do MUCH more than 1.25 miles... I really went to shit this summer, 185 to 200...
Meh. Don't worry about it. Do what you can, and as you grow stronger and gain better endurance, you'll do more. It's always better to start with what you can do than to go overboard. You'll kill your body and find it harder to keep a routine if you start out doing too much too fast.
Old 10-23-2006, 09:13 PM
Suzuka Master

Well its annoying because I used to be able to do two or three no problem, and outside at that...

Mike
Old 10-24-2006, 03:54 AM
That's Racist

Originally Posted by Michiraces2much
I constantly get shin splints if I dont wear the proper shoes. In fact my left shin is bothering me right now. Stupidly, I wore my shox to run the past 2 days instead of my sauconys. you need to find out whether you pronate or supanate and then find the best shoes for you. I dont recommend continuing running so hard core until you figure things out. Maybe you should try walking in the mean time
pronate v. supanate?

try running interval sprints. I used to run about a mile or two each day and got major shin splints. I cut down the overall volume and upped the intensity on my sprints and have better results + no shin splints.
Old 10-24-2006, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by Time For Sleeep
pronate v. supanate?
Your foot either rolls in (pronates), out (supinates), or stays pretty neutral while it hits the ground (when you run).

There are usually three different kinds of running shoes. They have support/no support in different areas depending on what type of runner you are (how your foot lands, if you have high arches/flat feet, etc). One type of shoe is designed for if you pronate, supinate, or are pretty neutral. A neutral shoe is simply a cushioning shoe and doesn't provide for much support. This type of shoe is only really a good choice for 'neutral' runners or people with specific arches.

If you run a lot, and especially if you have knee or shin problems, take the time to go to a running store and pick the proper type of running shoe.... No more just picking the coolest looking shoe off the rack. A proper running store will be able to direct you to the right selection of shoes after watching you do a very light jog down a small aisle in the store, or analyzing it some other way. It's well worth it! I wouldn't buy running shoes any other way now.

Oh, and replace your running shoes often if you're actually using them for jogging/running, and not just casual wear. They suggest a specific number of miles on a shoe before replacement.. I forget what it is -- could be 10,000 miles or something. You'd be suprised at how much you wear them down, and that makes a huge difference in support too! Don't hang onto them for years and years.
Old 10-24-2006, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by crazymjb
Also, my calves are disproportionately stronger than the opposite muscles.
I know they suggested I work on this too when I was working out and weight lifting quite regularly. You can try to strengthen up the front of your leg by doing foot-lifts... the opposite of calve raises if you're doing them at the edge of a step. Stand with your heel on the edge of the step and let the rest of your foot overhang. Flex, hold, release.... Personally, I didn't find that this helped, but it's definitely worth a try! And try to get your inner and outter calves up to similar strengths too.
Old 10-24-2006, 10:12 AM
RIP Dime...

Originally Posted by Street Spirit
Your foot either rolls in (pronates), out (supinates), or stays pretty neutral while it hits the ground (when you run).

There are usually three different kinds of running shoes. They have support/no support in different areas depending on what type of runner you are (how your foot lands, if you have high arches/flat feet, etc). One type of shoe is designed for if you pronate, supinate, or are pretty neutral. A neutral shoe is simply a cushioning shoe and doesn't provide for much support. This type of shoe is only really a good choice for 'neutral' runners or people with specific arches.

If you run a lot, and especially if you have knee or shin problems, take the time to go to a running store and pick the proper type of running shoe.... No more just picking the coolest looking shoe off the rack. A proper running store will be able to direct you to the right selection of shoes after watching you do a very light jog down a small aisle in the store, or analyzing it some other way. It's well worth it! I wouldn't buy running shoes any other way now.

Oh, and replace your running shoes often if you're actually using them for jogging/running, and not just casual wear. They suggest a specific number of miles on a shoe before replacement.. I forget what it is -- could be 10,000 miles or something. You'd be suprised at how much you wear them down, and that makes a huge difference in support too! Don't hang onto them for years and years.
Many running stores will also examine your gait for free (as long as you buy a shoe from their store) and recommend a shoe based on your running style. Therefore, it's definitely more beneficial to buy your shoes from a running store.

Most running shoes last about 250 miles. After 250 miles, the padding is no longer supportive or cushioning and it's best to buy a new shoe. This means if you're running on a regular basis or training for a longer event, your shoes might only last a couple months. But for the sake of your comfort and safety, it's best to adhere to the 250 mile rule. Some shoes boast that they can last up to 500 miles, but those are few and far between.

I forgot to add that you shouldn't be wearing your running shoes when you're not running, as this will wear out your shoes even faster.
Old 10-24-2006, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by Ryee
Many running stores will also examine your gait for free (as long as you buy a shoe from their store) and recommend a shoe based on your running style.
Well yeah, that's what I was implying. They don't charge you for this, even if you don't end up finding a shoe you're happy with.
Old 10-24-2006, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by Street Spirit
Oh, and replace your running shoes often if you're actually using them for jogging/running, and not just casual wear. They suggest a specific number of miles on a shoe before replacement.. I forget what it is -- could be 10,000 miles or something.

I just saw what I wrote. I have no idea how that came out of me, but I think it's safe to assume that number is WAY off
Old 10-24-2006, 07:37 PM
Suzuka Master

I was thinking... Hmm, If I step it up to 10 miles a day, I should need new shoes in 3 years.

I think I am going to have to find a good shoe salesman/trainer. Today I literally couldn't walk steadily for 30 minutes. I had to sit down for a while, and my legs continued to hurt for 30 minutes. I took some motrin and iced them, and now about an hour later they still are soar, but not to the level they were(I couldn't even finish my dinner)....

They get progressively more sore as a run, but when I start slowing down, that is when the pain picks up, then 30 minutes to an hour later I can walk perfectly normal again... Ugh.

Mike
Old 10-24-2006, 11:21 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 150 Likes on 109 Posts
Ride a bike or something in the meantime...stop hurting yourself.
Old 10-24-2006, 11:26 PM
Suzuka Master

Not a bad idea, now I just need an exercise bike. Maybe I can get some light mountain biking in before the winter but thats not daily cardio.

I don't have much trouble walking, maybe I should just do that on full incline for a few weeks to strengthen my legs?

I'll try running slightly farther at a slower pace possibly, maybe the lower impact will help?

Mike
Old 10-25-2006, 05:41 AM
USTHS76

I usually replace my shoes between 400-500 miles which is roughly 6-8 months. I never had my gait analyzed, never needed it. I did a simple wet test and bought my shoes (stability) based on it. I've never had any problems. But, if there's a reputable running store near you, have them analyze your gait.
Old 10-26-2006, 08:25 AM
Three Wheelin'

I just started to get shin splints recently at the gym while running on the treadmill. I am running in 2.5 year old running shoes which i think could be the culprit. Last time i got shin splints was in college and it was a horrible pain. I ended up buying some running shoes which made the shin splints cease to exist. So this weekend I will probally be shopping for some new running shoes.

I feel your pain Mike
Old 10-26-2006, 08:49 AM
RIP Dime...

Originally Posted by MikeCLS6
I just started to get shin splints recently at the gym while running on the treadmill. I am running in 2.5 year old running shoes which i think could be the culprit. Last time i got shin splints was in college and it was a horrible pain. I ended up buying some running shoes which made the shin splints cease to exist. So this weekend I will probally be shopping for some new running shoes.

I feel your pain Mike
The difference is amazing when you get new shoes. You don't realize how uncomfortable you were in the old ones until you just break in the new ones.
Old 10-26-2006, 07:53 PM
Suzuka Master

I wasn't able to run today so I went on a brief bike ride(damn it's cold out). I think I am going to go out and get my stride analyzed and get new running shoes, because these insoles aren't working.

Mike