Health & Fitness You're fat. Get skinny…

Sciatic Irritation/Sciatica?

Old 07-22-2011, 04:25 AM
Team Owner

Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts
Unhappy Sciatic Irritation/Sciatica?

I'm in my early 20's, I didn't think I should be having problems like this.

Just about a week and a half/two weeks ago, I started a new job. I'm a night audit/front desk person at a hotel. Since I started I've been getting this pain on the right side extending from my lower back to my upper butt. It doesn't extend down into my leg, but anytime I DO use my right leg in pretty much any way, it causes a sharp pain in the area I mentioned. It's a relatively sharp and distinct pain that has been getting progressively worse each day. The pain is one that leads me to believe it's something involving a nerve/nerves.

Any other time, I might attribute it to being something like a pulled muscle first since I workout regularly often, but I have only been once since I started this job as I wanted to get into a routine before I threw my body into complete exhaustion.

I'm trying to 1) figure out why, and 2) what I can do to help it. Can bad posture be a reason? I haven't noticed (not just since I've started) that I sometimes do have bad posture, but if it is attributed to that, why would it just now happen? I realize it's not a muscle...but is there any kind of stretch or something of the like that can ease the pain? It's getting to the point where I feel like I need to do something, otherwise it will get in the way of normal everyday things.

If it matters, since it is night, I usually bring a bar stool type chair out (it has a back) to sit on while it's dead in the night and I'm running some of my reports, etc.
Old 07-22-2011, 09:31 AM
Safety Car

Received 145 Likes on 90 Posts
The best stretch I've used to help those kinds of pains is to lie on your back, pull your knee up and towards the opposite shoulder. You might not feel any real stretching, but if you lean your body in the direction of the shoulder you're pulling towards, it will get significantly noticeable. I use that stretch for any glute/sciatic annoyances.
Old 07-22-2011, 04:54 PM
Needs more Lemon Pledge

Received 2,000 Likes on 1,173 Posts
From someone with a history of back problems, strengthen your core. Every day.

I had what you described and in my case it ultimately led to a ruptured lumbar disc. It also led to about a year of constant, terrible pain.

I declined surgery after talking to several back doctors, and finally found almost complete relief from regular core strengthening. Start very slow if the pain is present, but don't neglect the abs or you will feel it in the back.
Old 07-22-2011, 05:20 PM
Team Owner

I workout fairly regularly, and as part of my routine, I do deadlifts relatively often which is incredible for your back/core.

I'm just waiting to get back into the gym until I figure out when is best to go for me since sleep for me is now usually ~8am-3pm.
Old 07-23-2011, 04:30 PM
nnInn

Received 1,084 Likes on 646 Posts
If you do a lot of sitting, you need to get a butt pillow that has a cut out for your tailbone. You also have to stretch your butt and thigh muscles. I had back surgery 11 years ago next month. Keeping my butt muscles stretched and "popping" my pelvic bone keeps my sciatic from freaking out.

http://www.qvc.com/qic/qvcapp.aspx/v...m-Seat-Cushion
Old 07-27-2011, 10:40 AM
Secret Agent

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by jupitersolo
If you do a lot of sitting, you need to get a butt pillow that has a cut out for your tailbone. You also have to stretch your butt and thigh muscles. I had back surgery 11 years ago next month. Keeping my butt muscles stretched and "popping" my pelvic bone keeps my sciatic from freaking out.

http://www.qvc.com/qic/qvcapp.aspx/v...m-Seat-Cushion
Oh dear God.... I'm going to do everything I can to try and purge that line from ever reaching my brain.
Old 07-28-2011, 11:48 AM
nnInn

I said butt muscles (Gluteal muscles) not anal muscles, you sick fuck!
Old 07-28-2011, 12:39 PM
My first Avatar....

Received 6,179 Likes on 3,965 Posts
Great stretch/exercise for the low back/core...

Keep your belly tight when you do this. It helps a lot. Just do what you can at first...the stronger your back becomes, the better you'll feel and the better the results with your pain.

Old 07-28-2011, 02:05 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by jupitersolo
I said butt muscles (Gluteal muscles) not anal muscles, you sick fuck!
Old 07-29-2011, 10:08 AM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts

Hope you feel better.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:29 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 740 Likes on 309 Posts
If you truly have sciatica, no stretching exercise will heal you. I used to get it like clockwork, but I did two things that made it never come back. First, changed my mattress to a Tempurpedic, and second, did accupuncture (and still do every so often to keep my body in balance). Stress is also a big factor getting sciatica too..
Old 08-12-2011, 06:31 PM
Ultra Negro

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Shoofin
If you truly have sciatica, no stretching exercise will heal you. I used to get it like clockwork, but I did two things that made it never come back. First, changed my mattress to a Tempurpedic, and second, did accupuncture (and still do every so often to keep my body in balance). Stress is also a big factor getting sciatica too..
Yeah I was just going to suggest acupuncture. My mother has had issues with the same thing you have and ever since she went and got the ancient chinese treatment she's doing fine. But I think she goes once a month.
Old 08-12-2011, 08:19 PM
nnInn

Originally Posted by Shoofin
No stretching won't heal you, but it will help. It mainly shows up when you have a herniation or stenosis. Surgery was the only way to align my spine to help, removed part of a disk and I live with a pin set attached to my L5-S1, because I have stenosis, I'm not fixed. But the physical therapy I did before surgery help me stay on my feet. At times I couldn't walk from the bed to the bathroom.

And when I have problems now, I stretch.