Health & Fitness You're fat. Get skinny…

Problem making weight in boxing... HELP!

Old 03-10-2007, 03:23 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 101 Posts
Problem making weight in boxing... HELP!

Getting back into boxing, it's been 6 years since I last competed. Got a few problems, but here's a brief histry:

I was 19 yrs old and 200 lbs of muscle and fat strictly lifting weights.

I got hooked on boxing when i sparred with some friends and familly in some backyard boxing.

Went to the local YMCA and started a strict training regimen with a former pro boxer as a trainer, he's 70 yrs old and really old school.

I got down to 165 for my first fight and won by stoppage in the first round. Golden gloves.

by the fourth bout which was one month later (semifinals) I was 159 for the weigh-in and felt fatigued, lost the fight before it started, i think from over training.

got discouraged and slowed down training. Started a business, graduated from college and got maried, so boxing fell off as a priority, but I still hit the bag and ran occasionally.

6 years later, and 2 kids later, I am now 188 lbs and I am muscular, but i do have small love handles and little excess fat around my belly.

Started training becasue I want to win the golden Gloves before i am too old, i'm 28 years old.

Now I have been training 3 hours a day every other day for one month, sparring and calisthetics, same training and increased intensity from 6 years ago.

I start each workout running for 20 minutes on an indoor track obove the basketball court, about 50-75 laps, 10 laps hard, 10 laps soft, last 5 laps VERY hard, I am dead tire by the end.

I cannot lose a single pound, but i am getting ripped and stronger. I am affraid that I won't lose weight, but i will build muscle due to my age, then wehn i get in the ring, I'll be fighting guys 6'1 with very lean bodies and they would be more difficult to fight with me being only 5' 10.5". I want to get back down to 165lbs in 6-8 months.

I recently tried staing away from bread, rice, potatos and other carbs, but see no differenc ein my weight, been watchign what I eat, but I get so damn hungry at times.

Give me advice please.
Old 03-12-2007, 10:19 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Before making any suggestions, what does your daily diet look like? Just from personal experience, low/no carb diet does work. I've used ckd quite often to cut with great results. Check out http://www.c-k-d.com/ As with any diet, you must be in a calorie deficit to lose any weight.
Old 03-12-2007, 03:12 PM
That's Racist

a clean calorie deficit diet is definitely the way to lose weight.

but i can't recommend someone seriously training in boxing should go on a low/no carb diet.

especially since you're training at such a high volume.. you need those carbs, and you need the protein to ensure you don't lose too much muscle.

ron are you able to split up your workout so that your roadwork and conditioning is in the morning and technique/resistance training/hitting the bag is later on in the evening or at night?

That would be my initial recommendation for you. Just remember if you're able to do your morning road work, it'll keep your metabolism high throughout the day and help burn fat. Just remember though that your body just went through 7-8 hours of starving itself, so a high protein/carb meal is imperative.

Complex carbs are okay to have, but try to keep them earlier in the day. Night and later day carbs get from green leafy vegetables.
Old 03-12-2007, 08:38 PM
Race Director

Cutting carbs is not the best way to go, but instead you need to go into a caloric deficit. (your body burns a certain # of calories daily , and going above or below this determines weight gain/weight loss). You need to pick the healthy "right" carbs.

Like above poster said, if your training hard, you need carbs.

3 hours seems like a long time to be training , might be over-doing it. Sometimes less=more, and by exercising to much it may hinder weight loss believe it or not. Also, if you dont eat enough you will also be slowing down your metabolism making it more difficult to shed that extra fat.

Post up your daily diet for us to see.

You do say your becoming leaner, and since you just started exercising intensively again your body may be getting "shocked". This is usually good, as your able to keep your muscle, and get ripped , but eventually it slows down.

I do understand though that you need to get to a certain weight to compete.

http://www.global-fitness.com/BMR_calc.php

The second link will show you about how many cals you burn doing diff activities. Just put in your weight and time (duration of activity) and click compute.

http://www.global-fitness.com/Calc.php

That may give you a general idea of how many calories your body burns daily...so try to aim lower than that and see where it goes. Try to keep it a little lower, not a drastic drop or else you will be burning more muscle then you'd like.

Last edited by RMATIC09; 03-12-2007 at 08:42 PM.
Old 03-12-2007, 10:58 PM
Former Sponsor

Well, I'm eating twice a day, just 2 eggs in the morning with ham, no bread or anything, and all I've been drinking lately is water, no juices or soda.
At Lunch i'll eat chicken or some other meat, and I always have some leafy greens with some vinegar with dinner, and whatever wifey cooks. usually some home cooking, varies from day to day. I've been eating soups and other light foods. Today I trained for 2 hours, but i mean, i do running, take a 5 minute break, then 8-10 rounds on the heavy bag, REALLY hard, then excercises like 100 deep knee bends, 100 pushups, and 100 situps. By this point, my body is so tired I go home and sleep.

Can some one just tell me what to eat and when, becasue when I got home, i didn't eat, and I had no piss or anything in me, I weighed in at 185.6, which is def not any better. i used to lose 10 lbs and gain it back in a week as just water weight with no problem. And I'm always hungry.
Just list things to eat and when so i can print it and try it out. I'm stepping up training to every day for 2 hours a day, mon-friday to see if that helps.
Old 03-13-2007, 06:49 AM
Race Director

Proteins

* Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breast
* Tuna (water packed)
* Fish (salmon, seabass, halibut)
* Shrimp
* Extra Lean Ground Beef or Ground Round (92-96%) - Learn More
* Protein Powder - Learn More
* Egg Whites or Eggs - Learn More
* Ribeye Steaks or Roast
* Top Round Steaks or Roast (aka Stew Meat, London Broil, Stir Fry)
* Top Sirloin (aka Sirloin Top Butt)
* Beef Tenderloin (aka Filet, Filet Mignon)
* Top Loin (NY Strip Steak)
* Flank Steak (Sir Fry, Fajita)
* Eye of Round (Cube Meat, Stew Meat, Bottom Round , 96% Lean Ground Round)
* Ground turkey, Turkey Breast Slices or cutlets (fresh meat, not deli cuts)

Complex Carbs

* Oatmeal (Old Fashioned or Quick Oats)
* Sweet Potatoes (Yams)
* Beans (pinto, black, kidney)
* Oat Bran Cereal
* Brown Rice
* Farina (Cream of Wheat)
* Multigrain Hot Cereal
* Pasta
* Rice (white, jasmine, basmati, Arborio, wild)
* Potatoes (red, baking, new)

Fibrous Carbs
* Green Leafy Lettuce (Green Leaf, Red, Leaf, Romaine)
* Broccoli
* Asparagus
* String Beans
* Spinach
* Bell Peppers
* Brussels Sprouts
* Cauliflower
* Celery

Other Produce & Fruits

* Cucumber
* Green or Red Pepper
* Onions
* Garlic
* Tomatoes
* Zucchini
* Fruit (if acceptable on diet): bananas, apples, grapefruit, peaches, strawberries, blueberries, raspberries
* Lemons or Limes

Healthy Fats

* Natural Style Peanut Butter
* Olive Oil or Safflower Oil
* Nuts (peanuts, almonds
* Flaxseed Oil - Learn More

Dairy & Eggs

* Low-fat cottage cheese
* Eggs
* Low or Non-Fat Milk

Beverages

* Bottled Water
* Diet Soda
* Crystal Light

Condiments & Misc.

* Fat Free Mayonnaise
* Reduced Sodium Soy Sauce
* Reduced Sodium Teriyaki Sauce
* Balsamic Vinegar
* Salsa
* Chili powder
* Mrs. Dash
* Steak Sauce
* Sugar Free Maple Syrup
* Chili Paste
* Mustard
* Extracts (vanilla, almond, etc.)
* Low Sodium beef or chicken broth
* Plain or reduced sodium tomatoes sauce, puree, paste

Thats a list of healthy foods i had saved on my computer from a while ago.....
Old 03-13-2007, 07:16 AM
John Starks - The Dunk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
when i was kick boxing, I would eat 5-6 meals a day. You have to give your body more food throughout the day so that it won't store any fat as reserves

My general rule is to eat as soon as I wake up (5AM - 6AM), then follow up with a small meal/snack every 3-4 hours afterwards. Make sure you you eat your carbs earlier in the day, and have as little fat and carbs during the last meal.

Also to help with the hunger, you should be drinking LOTS of water during the day. Most of the time the hunger is just your body's way of telling you that you are dehydrated.
Old 03-13-2007, 10:08 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by RMATIC09
Proteins

* Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breast
* Tuna (water packed)
* Fish (salmon, seabass, halibut)
* Shrimp
* Extra Lean Ground Beef or Ground Round (92-96%) - Learn More
* Protein Powder - Learn More
* Egg Whites or Eggs - Learn More
* Ribeye Steaks or Roast
* Top Round Steaks or Roast (aka Stew Meat, London Broil, Stir Fry)
* Top Sirloin (aka Sirloin Top Butt)
* Beef Tenderloin (aka Filet, Filet Mignon)
* Top Loin (NY Strip Steak)
* Flank Steak (Sir Fry, Fajita)
* Eye of Round (Cube Meat, Stew Meat, Bottom Round , 96% Lean Ground Round)
* Ground turkey, Turkey Breast Slices or cutlets (fresh meat, not deli cuts)

Complex Carbs

* Oatmeal (Old Fashioned or Quick Oats)
* Sweet Potatoes (Yams)
* Beans (pinto, black, kidney)
* Oat Bran Cereal
* Brown Rice
* Farina (Cream of Wheat)
* Multigrain Hot Cereal
* Pasta
* Rice (white, jasmine, basmati, Arborio, wild)
* Potatoes (red, baking, new)

Fibrous Carbs
* Green Leafy Lettuce (Green Leaf, Red, Leaf, Romaine)
* Broccoli
* Asparagus
* String Beans
* Spinach
* Bell Peppers
* Brussels Sprouts
* Cauliflower
* Celery

Other Produce & Fruits

* Cucumber
* Green or Red Pepper
* Onions
* Garlic
* Tomatoes
* Zucchini
* Fruit (if acceptable on diet): bananas, apples, grapefruit, peaches, strawberries, blueberries, raspberries
* Lemons or Limes

Healthy Fats

* Natural Style Peanut Butter
* Olive Oil or Safflower Oil
* Nuts (peanuts, almonds
* Flaxseed Oil - Learn More

Dairy & Eggs

* Low-fat cottage cheese
* Eggs
* Low or Non-Fat Milk

Beverages

* Bottled Water
* Diet Soda
* Crystal Light

Condiments & Misc.

* Fat Free Mayonnaise
* Reduced Sodium Soy Sauce
* Reduced Sodium Teriyaki Sauce
* Balsamic Vinegar
* Salsa
* Chili powder
* Mrs. Dash
* Steak Sauce
* Sugar Free Maple Syrup
* Chili Paste
* Mustard
* Extracts (vanilla, almond, etc.)
* Low Sodium beef or chicken broth
* Plain or reduced sodium tomatoes sauce, puree, paste

Thats a list of healthy foods i had saved on my computer from a while ago.....
thanks, now which do I eat, when do i it it and how much of it. I guess you can refer to them as the group of food instead of the actual particular food.
Old 03-13-2007, 10:16 AM
Race Director

Originally Posted by rondog
thanks, now which do I eat, when do i it it and how much of it. I guess you can refer to them as the group of food instead of the actual particular food.

thats hard to say. You have to figure out what works best for your body. I've been bodybuilding/ doing martial arts for a while, and have had my own custom diet for almost 5-6 years now. It's taken me a long time to figure out how my body responds, but you have to learn these things to yield the best results.

2 meals is not enough, that will actually prevent you from losing weight. The reason is that your body, a natural survival mechanism, is getting used to the fact that your only eating twice. Your metabolism is slowing down,and your body is clinging to those 2 meals alot more than if you feed yourself 5-6 times throughout the day.

I would eat every meal with a protein and carb, up untill the last meal which i would mix protein/fat.

For example, bfast i have

Organic whole wheat pita w/ natural PB + ON whey in water

then ill workout, have a custom made protein shake

a few hours later, a fresh turkey sandwich or grilled CKN w/ hummus and maybe some fruit

then for dinner again, a meat and some carbs (oatmeal/ww pasta...brown rice)

then for late night snack (2-3 hours before bed) prob a PB sandwich on organic toast w/ 1 banana and some milk.

I hope this helps....
Old 03-13-2007, 04:23 PM
That's Racist

Ron, figure out your daily maintenance caloric intake and eat at caloric defecit.

(In Abreece's sticky, a rough estimate would be to take your body weight and multiply it by 10-12 to get your cutting weight, and 13-15 to get your maintenance/bulking weight).

Then go over to http://www.fitday.com where you'll be able to keep track of what you each each day. (the browser version is free)

Just some ratios to throw out for you, either 40/40/20% of your daily intake should be carbs, proteins, then fats, 50/30/20 I would say are your best bets. I box whenever I'm not lifting, so 50/30/20 is pretty much essential for me.

Once you figure out what you should be eating each day, try splitting it up into smaller meals (5-6 small meals throughout the day). It's a pain in the ass, but it'll make sure your metabolism is high to burn fat.

All those foods are good, except I would say the beef filets and ribeye steak. I dunno if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that those cuts of meat were more desireable because of their higher inseperable fat content?

Anyway, as I stated earlier, complex carbs (grains, rice, oats) earlier in the day, and green leafy veggies for carbohydrates when getting closer to the end of the day.
Old 03-14-2007, 04:10 PM
RIP Dime...

Hey Ron, how extreme with your diet are you willing to go? If you went to shed quickly, you can try the v-diet. Click here to view what it's about. Granted it's extreme and challenging but if you want to drop weight fast give it a whirl.
Old 04-12-2007, 03:05 AM
Former Sponsor

Update, odd, but I have just decreased my food intake, maintained excercise, and I lost 10 lbs. I can see myself eventually getting down to 165 now. Weird, must have had to get used to working out all the sudden. 178 now after I work out on an empty stomach.
Old 04-12-2007, 10:43 AM
Racer

RMATIC09's list is good, but his diet isn't what I'd recommend. I'd recommend eating NOT TWO but 5-6 small meals/day. You're starving yourself with 2 meals...no wonder your body doesn't want to give up that weight! Definitely eat the foods that he suggested, but make sure you have protein with every meal and try to keep your carbs in the first 3-4 meals and your fats in the last 1-2 meals. I compete in bodybuilding and lose 20-30 lbs in 3 months once/year. Sounds like you're doing well so far, but let me know if you need anything else.
Old 04-20-2007, 01:42 AM
Former Sponsor

thanks, Like an idiot, I saw the weight lost and went out for dinner a few days in a row with familly once and friends another day and went right back up in weight again. on top of that, I got a head cold and had to take a small break from working out in the gym, now I got to start all over again, sheesh, I love food too, thats the worst part.
Old 06-12-2007, 09:30 PM
Former Sponsor

175 now...
Old 06-13-2007, 12:11 PM
RIP Dime...

175 now...
Nice work. Keep it up. How much more do you have?
Old 08-22-2007, 11:20 AM
Former Sponsor

now I'm down to 172 on a hungry stomach. I just need to make a commitment to make 165 lbs before oct 12th for the metro games tournament. if not, Id be fighting someone right at the 178 lb weight class.
Old 02-06-2008, 03:27 PM
Former Sponsor

Ok, I'm consistently at 177 now, and decided to compete at the 178 lb novice class. My fight is on Feb 8th at St Raymonds High school in the bronx. First fight in the 2008 golden gloves tournament. Wish me luck!!!

BTW, here's a video of me hitting the bag at my gym, starts 00:43 in the vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnIAg6Cz_5Y
Old 02-22-2008, 01:05 AM
seizure force field!

Received 115 Likes on 95 Posts
dang you went to golden gloves? I backed out because of some drama my friend encountered in a pre-lim fight I think it was.

dang that video brings back memories... my trainer: "git those hands up!" my trainer never let me get away w/ keeping my hands that low while hitting the bag, haha

I havent been in the ring since I was 18

Dont know if it will help, but back when I was training my trainer never let us lift more than half our weight, he made us work w/ small weights and just do a grip of reps... 'till the weights fell off our hands. My trainer also claimed that eating on a routine basis helped to maintain weight... dunno if its true, you know trainers and their beliefs.

I competed at 145, now I weigh 155... tried everything to naturally gain weight and I cant I'd love to be in your situation, I wanna be 190-200lbs. I'm thinking of taking whey protein or somethin'.

Good luck w/ boxing bro!