Health & Fitness You're fat. Get skinny…

Post pics of your Progress

Old 07-07-2005, 12:02 AM
I shoot people

Received 2,947 Likes on 1,447 Posts
Originally Posted by Nicky Pass
During the spring of 2001, I was 227lbs. at 20.8% bodyfat with a 36 inch waist.
Pictures: I don't have any...when I do see an old pic of me I get disgusted!

As of July 3rd 2005, 182lbs. at 12.1% bodyfat and a 33 inch waist.

I lift weights 6 days a week and do cardio 6-7 days a week. The key to my weight loss was switching from high intensity cardio to a lower intensity. I keep my heart rate at 135-140 bpm and Iv'e seen a big difference.

Finally, someone agrees with me that lower intensity cardio is key!!!
Old 07-07-2005, 04:06 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 638 Likes on 276 Posts
Doesnt that matter if you are lifting or not? I would assume lower intensity would kick ass after lifting more than High intensity.

Or does it just not matter?
Old 07-07-2005, 05:05 AM
Interesting. Interesting.

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
All kidding aside, congrats Sklar. What you're doing is a great accomplishment. And you look great too. It's funny how much younger people can look when then drop some weight.
Old 07-07-2005, 06:54 AM
Go Giants

Received 1,235 Likes on 824 Posts
Originally Posted by wstevens
All kidding aside, congrats Sklar. What you're doing is a great accomplishment. And you look great too. It's funny how much younger people can look when then drop some weight.
People have told me that I look 10 years younger. I will post another pic soon (as soon as someone takes one of me )

Now stop trying to cram Krispy Kremes down my throat.
Old 07-07-2005, 06:57 AM
Go Giants

Originally Posted by Crazy Sellout
Doesnt that matter if you are lifting or not? I would assume lower intensity would kick ass after lifting more than High intensity.

Or does it just not matter?
I was told by my trainer that the best cardio method is 90 seconds of a resting heart rate and then 90 seconds of high intensity for at least 15 minutes.
Old 07-07-2005, 12:51 PM
Spinnin them beats

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by wsklar
I was told by my trainer that the best cardio method is 90 seconds of a resting heart rate and then 90 seconds of high intensity for at least 15 minutes.

that, i think could hurt for 15 minutes.............
my take on lifting or even cardio

Less weight, more reps.>More weight, less reps

it tones teh muscle more and takes less time for the muscle to develop

consistant running, long time>short sprints, short time, many breaks

you system gets more used to consistancy rather than short bursts
Old 07-07-2005, 04:41 PM
Registered Abuser of VTEC

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by Acuraluvr
that, i think could hurt for 15 minutes.............
my take on lifting or even cardio

Less weight, more reps.>More weight, less reps

it tones teh muscle more and takes less time for the muscle to develop

consistant running, long time>short sprints, short time, many breaks

you system gets more used to consistancy rather than short bursts
1. Less weight and more reps will just give you muscle endurace and tone. It will not make you bulk because you're not making the "white" or fast twitch muscle fibers work hard.

2. You're partially right. For dropping fat, low intensity is key (as is300eater has said so many, MANY times!), whereas high intensity cardio will just give you more endurance to stay at high intensity. ie: you could win a 200m sprint one month, but then you work out at high intensity for a year 5 times a week, and then you can sprint for 400m (which is an incredibly long distance to sprint at full tilt)
Old 07-07-2005, 04:54 PM
I shoot people

Originally Posted by youngTL
1. Less weight and more reps will just give you muscle endurace and tone. It will not make you bulk because you're not making the "white" or fast twitch muscle fibers work hard.

2. You're partially right. For dropping fat, low intensity is key (as is300eater has said so many, MANY times!), whereas high intensity cardio will just give you more endurance to stay at high intensity. ie: you could win a 200m sprint one month, but then you work out at high intensity for a year 5 times a week, and then you can sprint for 400m (which is an incredibly long distance to sprint at full tilt)

...when it all comes down to it.... it's all relative to what your goals are... I have a friend that approached me awhile back regarding losing weight... I adviced her to do lower intensity cardio... and she did for awhile... and got the results... but recently... she's been doing higher intensity training... she was afraid to tell me at first because she thought that I would be offended, going against my advise... but when I found out... she told me that the higher intensity training has helped her a lot in her surfing... she's NOT as fatigued at the end of the day... which is fine... but I had advised her to go lower intensity originally because her goal (originally) was to lose weight and trim up for the summer...
Old 09-02-2005, 11:43 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Look at me, i'm bumping an old thread!

Originally Posted by Acuraluvr
i no yall r probably laughing at me posting on 'progress pics' but this summer i hav started seriously working out........
start of summer= physical by doctor showed i was only 5 pounds underweight (118 pounds, 13.4 yr old)
now= down to 115, gained visable 4 pack, just grew to 5'6''

how i did it=stopped 'binge' ing, ran 30 min. every other day, working outside for at least 3 hours (just finished painting our pool) started lifting at least 15 per arm, exercised with weights/curls for 1 hour every day

...........dont wanna post pics for obvious reasons
Go ahead and post them.

It should be said that anyone who makes fun of anyone else's pics is gonna get a swift kick in the ass (making fun of YoungTL's bear pic is an exception, that's just too rich ). Don't be afraid to criticize, but keep it constructive. When someone posts progress pics they shouldn't expect hate, but they shouldn't get sugar-coated replies either.
Old 09-03-2005, 11:00 AM
I shoot people

sorry for the big images...

okay, so last winter, I kinda "fell off the wagon" and got (kinda) out of shape... On March 4th (first picture) I went snowboarding... some punk kid decided to go sideways on the run... and clipped my board... sending me airbourn.... landing on my left shoulder and face... I was out for about 2 months!! It'd take like... 20 minutes just to change a shirt... (I couldn't lift my left arm... well, I could, but it was extremely painful).

This is me, being attended by ski patrol...

...so, I got really out of shape... and this was me on March 31st, I took this picture to remind myself... how I look like at rock bottom... I hadn't been this out of shape in years.

this is me, last week (August 27th, 05')

Old 09-03-2005, 12:36 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 10,605 Likes on 5,378 Posts
now thats some progress!!! damn.

what were your injuries after the snowboarding accident?? sorry to hear. glad you made a awesome recovery.
Old 09-03-2005, 02:11 PM
I shoot people

Originally Posted by srika
now thats some progress!!! damn.

what were your injuries after the snowboarding accident?? sorry to hear. glad you made a awesome recovery.
...we thought it was going to be the rotators, but turned out... my (anterior) deltoid was extremely bruised... I went on for a while being out of shape... I didn't really get in the "mood" until about... June (I think).
Old 09-03-2005, 05:10 PM
That's Racist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by is300eater
...we thought it was going to be the rotators, but turned out... my (anterior) deltoid was extremely bruised... I went on for a while being out of shape... I didn't really get in the "mood" until about... June (I think).
Amazing progress IS eater. You are indeed a source of inspiration for our own progress.

Mind fillin' in on what your routine(s) entailed?
Old 09-04-2005, 08:03 PM
Go Giants

Very cool IS.....
Old 09-05-2005, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by Whiskers
Very cool IS.....
That's some of the best improvement I've seen so far out of all of us! Whiskers still amazes me the most though. Holy crap was that a lot of weight to lose!
Old 09-05-2005, 09:44 PM

This is me again, a few pounds heavier than last time. I don't know if it's much of an improvement.

Old 09-05-2005, 10:04 PM
I keeps it real

^^you look a lot stronger than repping 70lbs on the flat bench. You sure thats all you can do?
Old 09-05-2005, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by GoDucksCLSPride
^^you look a lot stronger than repping 70lbs on the flat bench. You sure thats all you can do?
I'm not 100% sure that's all I can do, and it is 70 + 45 = 115lbs by the way. I also have that shoulder problem that prevents me from doing too much. I don't have very much pec size. That's all the weight I can do safely in proper form without a spotter. Muscle mass makes all the difference to strength, not being toned. That's why the guys who are bulky, even if they have a big layer of fat covering their pecs will be way stronger than me. My strength is all in my legs. The upper body strength is an illusion because the muscles are somewhat defined and I'm a small person with narrow shoulders.
Old 09-05-2005, 11:37 PM
I keeps it real

I'm not 100% sure that's all I can do, and it is 70 + 45 = 115lbs by the way. I also have that shoulder problem that prevents me from doing too much. I don't have very much pec size. That's all the weight I can do safely in proper form without a spotter. Muscle mass makes all the difference to strength, not being toned. That's why the guys who are bulky, even if they have a big layer of fat covering their pecs will be way stronger than me. My strength is all in my legs. The upper body strength is an illusion because the muscles are somewhat defined and I'm a small person with narrow shoulders.
thanks for the lesson in muscle mass.

I was just commenting because your build is similar to my old workout partner and he repped about 135lbs on average when we lifted together.

EDIT: Oh and why separate out the weight of the bar? I've never heard anyone do that before and I was a gym rat for most of my adult life. That a thing?

Last edited by GoDucksCLSPride; 09-05-2005 at 11:40 PM.
Old 09-05-2005, 11:45 PM
Suzuka Master

This is me again, a few pounds heavier than last time. I don't know if it's much of an improvement.
EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT EAT

p.s. EAT
Old 09-06-2005, 12:13 AM
I shoot people

Originally Posted by ABreece

p.s. EAT

I eat every 2 to 3 hours.... and it's NOT forced either, my metabolism is so fast... I'm like... hungry and starving every 2 to 3 hours... if it's a low carb meal... then I'm hungry in 2 hours (sometimes 1.5 !)... if I had some carbs, say... oatmeal or rice... I can go 3 hours, if I go over 4 hours w/o food.... I'm gettin headaches!!!
Old 09-06-2005, 12:28 AM
I shoot people

Originally Posted by Time For Sleeep
Amazing progress IS eater. You are indeed a source of inspiration for our own progress.

Mind fillin' in on what your routine(s) entailed?

...sorry for the late reply, I haven't been on line for a couple days...

Day 1-Back/Rear Delts
(yes, rear delts with back... because most back exercises involve rear delts anyway, so I hit it at the same time, usually those rowing type movements, especially wide grip, over hand)

Day 2-Chest and Shoulders, my chest grow so fast with very little work... where my shoulders are just the opposite, they don't hardly ever grow.... so I have to take it easy on my chest because if my chest get bigger, then my shoulders actually appear even smaller... this would be the reason why I didn't bother replying to the thread on "how much do you bench?" cause I do 4 sets of flat beach @135lbs 15-20 reps, and I'm done. (btw, keep in mind... when ever you do any kind of bench press... you're also using some shoulder muscles... anterior delts (front), which is another reason why I do'em on the same day).

Day 3-Arms-

Day 4 legs

*each workout is about 60 minutes long.

Day 5
depends, if I'm feeling good and ready, I'll repeat that cycle... but if I'm NOT feeling rested enough... I'll take a day off... then start day 1 again.

I cardio 5 - 6 days a week, 45-60 minutes -low impact, keeping my H.R. at 125-135/bpm.
Old 09-06-2005, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by ABreece

p.s. EAT
I couldn't agree more. Now it's a matter of stuffing my face as much as I can.
Old 09-07-2005, 01:36 PM
LOLZ McCain Sux

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thought I would show you guys what will happen if you stop lifting/running for 2 years. I have been back at it about a month...why I didn't start earlier? Because I am a retarded Douche. Long story short...Got in good shape...Got a girlfriend...Got fat...Dumped girlfriend...Now back to being depressed and have to lift and run like a mad man.

Note this is not Before and After...It is After and before...fatty Mcgee is me right now (well not really that picture I ws 260 now I am 245 but I don't have a digi cam to take a picture). Basically the more cut picture is me at 200 lbs, the fatty picture is me at 260 (2 years of not lifting) me right now after a month of dieting/lifting/running 243-245...goal is to get back to 200 by around January then work to having around 6 percent body fat...I'll keep you guys posted with pictures once I buy a new digi cam.
Old 09-09-2005, 08:11 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
youngTL: Noticable improvement. I can see some weight gain. You are looking good from the perspective that it is easier to bulk up from where you are, compared to losing excess fat to get cut (which I have to watch constantly). I have a very efficient food processing system (damnit!) I can suck calories out of thin air. I can walk down the cookie aisle at Albertsons (or Dominion) and gain 3 pounds.

I hear you about shoulder problem limitations. I tore a rotator cuff last Spring and the Dr. said "No lifting". I have been lifting with light weights because I just cannot stop completely (OCD?)

Meanwhile, I continue with working out the rest of my body. My legs are also my strongest- often maxing out the machines.

6' 3"
190 lbs. (and have to work to stay there)