Health & Fitness You're fat. Get skinny…

Nutrition Tips

Old 10-04-2005, 12:04 PM
tsxy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nutrition Tips

I have decided to post this to help some of you out

Mostly from bodybuilding.com and I added some of my own, hope it helps some of you!

And here are some nutritional guidelines to make sure you're eating properly to lose fat:

NUTRITIONAL GUIDELINES FOR REDUCING BODY FAT

1. Eat every 2-3 hours (4-6 small meals a day), balanced meals of protein, carbohydrates, and fat. Exception: you don't necessarily have to eat carbohydrates with your last meal or two of the day, you CAN just eat protein and fat. Unless it's post workout (post strength training), then you NEED to eat some carbs.

2. Try to keep the protein intake in each of your meals consistent. If you are resistance/strength training, eat a minimum of your bodyweight in grams of protein, divided up equally into each of your meals. Example: if you weigh 120#, take 120/# of meals you will eat that day (we will say 5) and you get 24. Eat about 24g of protein with each meal.

3. Don't be afraid of fat, you NEED fat in order to BURN fat. You need to turn your body into a fat burning machine. In order to do this, you keep your carbs fairly low (30-40 grams per meal is a good rule of thumb, but it does depend on your activity level) and your fat intake moderate. As in, the lower your carbs, the more fat you should be consuming.

4. Avoid sugars and over-processed foods like the plague. Read your labels, avoid food with sugar listed in the ingredients.

5. Avoid processed foods, like those in boxes/packages and also anything made with white flour. White flour is over-processed. Also anything that says, "enriched" avoid it as well, it basically means over-processed.

6. Eat as close to nature as you can. In other words, the closer closer the food to how it occurs in nature, the better for you it is, and ESPECIALLY for fat burning.

7. Avoid starchy carbs like corn, bread (esp white bread), pasta., chips! Cookies!

8. For your last meal or two of the day, consume only green veggies for your carbohydrates. Generally for your last meal you should consume less carbohydrates and more fat. You basically taper off your carbohydrate intake as it gets later in the day.

9. Last but not least, do NOT cut your calories too low. For starters I wouldn't even drop ANY calories. I would eat maintenance calories (eat normally) and just focus on cleaning up your diet (get rid of drinking sodas, etc) and getting consistent with a good macronutrient ratio (protein, carbs, fat). Some examples of good cutting ratios (percentage of total calories) are: 40P/30C/30F, 40P/25C/35F, 40P/20C/40F, or 35P/35C/30F etc.

10. A good website (free) to help you keep track of your calories, protein, carbs, and fat is: www.fitday.com

Here are some good choices for foods to eat, conducive to burning fat and/or staying lean. If the food you are eating is not on this list, I would question it.

PROTEINS

Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breast
Tuna (water packed)
Fish (salmon, seabass, halibut)
Shrimp
Extra Lean Ground Beef or Ground Round (92-96%)
Venison
Buffalo
Ostrich
Protein Powder
Egg Whites or Whole Eggs
Ribeye Steaks or Roast
Top Round Steaks or Roast (aka Stew Meat, London Broil, Stir Fry)
Top Sirloin (aka Sirloin Top Butt)
Beef Tenderloin (aka Filet, Filet Mignon)
Top Loin (NY Strip Steak)
Flank Steak (Sir Fry, Fajita)
Eye of Round (Cube Meat, Stew Meat, Bottom Round , 96% LeandGround Round)
Ground turkey, Turkey Breast Slices or cutlets (fresh meat, not deli cuts)
Soy Burgers
Low-fat cottage cheese

SLOW BURNING/COMPLEX CARBS

Oatmeal (Old Fashioned or Quick Oats)
Sweet Potatoes (Yams)
Beans (pinto, black, kidney)
Oat Bran Cereal
Rye Cereal
Grape Nuts
Brown Rice
Farina (Cream of Wheat)
Multigrain Hot Cereal
Whole wheat or Spinach Pasta
100% Stoneground Whole Wheat Bread

FIBROUS CARBS

Green Leafy Lettuce (Green Leaf, Red, Leaf, Romaine)
Broccoli
Asparagus
String Beans
Okra
Spinach
Bell Peppers
Brussel Sprouts
Cauliflower
Cabbage
Celery
Cucumber
Eggplant
Green or Red Pepper
Onions
Pumpkin
Garlic
Tomatoes
Zucchini

FRUIT

Apples
Grapefruit
Peaches
Strawberries
Blueberries
Raspberries
Lemons or Limes

HEALTHY FATS

Natural Peanut Butter
Olive Oil or Safflower Oil
Nuts (peanuts, almonds)
Flaxseed Oil

BEVARAGES

Crystal Light
Green Tea
Other Tea (without sugar)
Coffee (without sugar)

CONDIMENTS

Lite, reduced fat Mayonnaise
Reduced Sodium Soy Sauce
Reduced Sodium Teriyaki Sauce
Balsamic Vinegar
Salsa
Hot Peppers and Hot Sauce
Chili powder
Mrs. Dash
Steak Sauce
Sugar Free Maple Syrup
Chili Paste
Mustard
Extracts (vanilla, almond, etc )
Low Sodium beef or chicken broth
Plain or reduced sodium tomatoes sauce, puree, paste)
Stevia (natural sweetener)
Old 10-04-2005, 01:35 PM
Community Architect
robb m.

Received 642 Likes on 284 Posts
Steph, you should re-post this info in Whiskers weekly weight loss thread, it's great info!!
Old 10-04-2005, 01:40 PM
I'm back, biatch.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stphy32

4. Avoid sugars and over-processed foods like the plague. Read your labels, avoid food with sugar listed in the ingredients.

5. Avoid processed foods, like those in boxes/packages and also anything made with white flour. White flour is over-processed. Also anything that says, "enriched" avoid it as well, it basically means over-processed.

6. Eat as close to nature as you can. In other words, the closer closer the food to how it occurs in nature, the better for you it is, and ESPECIALLY for fat burning.
These three are super important, IMO. Even if you are not looking to diet or strength train, these three points are still important for overall health.

Stop eating shit that comes out of a can/box/pouch.
Old 10-04-2005, 01:45 PM
Go Giants

Received 1,236 Likes on 825 Posts
Originally Posted by Astroboy
Steph, you should re-post this info in Whiskers weekly weight loss thread, it's great info!!
Agreed.....

I do think however, you should limit your calorie intake (especially if you are trying to loose weight). IMO, this should be in conjunction with eating the right foods.
Old 10-04-2005, 03:45 PM
tsxy

Originally Posted by Astroboy
It wont get deleted for being a re-post?
Old 10-04-2005, 03:54 PM
tsxy

Originally Posted by Whiskers
Agreed.....

I do think however, you should limit your calorie intake (especially if you are trying to loose weight). IMO, this should be in conjunction with eating the right foods.
Exactly.

Weight loss can be best achieved by adjusting caloric intake.

The main problem with this is that most people dont know what their RMR (resting metabolic rate) is. In order to be healthy about weight loss, knowing your RMR is probably one of the best things you can do in order to eat the right amount of calories.

RMR, Resting Metabolic Rate, is how many calories your body burns in a given day. This number changes easily when you exercise, eat, do anything... It is most effective to measure it in the morning, right when you wake up, on an empty stomach.

People tend to just guess what their RMR is and are usually way off (eat way too little or dont limit food intake enough) a lot of people will go down to like 1000 calories a day and thats very low.

Your usual health club offers RMR tests for around $50 and honestly, it's $50 well spent. If anybody is interested in getting one done please talk to me because there are things you need to do to prep for the test so you get the most accurate reading.
Old 10-04-2005, 07:51 PM
Go Giants

It wont get deleted for being a re-post?
Nope, good info...Thanks.
Old 10-17-2005, 04:34 PM
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
someone sticky this
Old 10-17-2005, 07:19 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by teg_to_bike
These three are super important, IMO. Even if you are not looking to diet or strength train, these three points are still important for overall health.

Stop eating shit that comes out of a can/box/pouch.
Nothing wrong with chunk light tuna in a can...
Old 10-17-2005, 07:22 PM
Go Giants

Originally Posted by r0dxx
Nothing wrong with chunk light tuna in a can...
And a pouch.....
Old 10-17-2005, 07:24 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Whiskers
And a pouch.....
Ya...salmon is good too in cans/pouch
Old 10-17-2005, 07:34 PM
I'm back, biatch.

fresh tuna > canned tuna.
Old 10-17-2005, 07:37 PM
tsxy

You shouldnt eat canned/pouch tuna more than 2x in a week because of Mercury levels

I wouldnt eat Albacore tuna more than 1x a week
Old 10-17-2005, 07:38 PM
tsxy

Originally Posted by teg_to_bike
fresh tuna > canned tuna.
DUH
Old 10-26-2005, 01:15 PM
Dromaeosaurs/Velociraptor

Exactly.

Weight loss can be best achieved by adjusting caloric intake.

The main problem with this is that most people dont know what their RMR (resting metabolic rate) is. In order to be healthy about weight loss, knowing your RMR is probably one of the best things you can do in order to eat the right amount of calories.

RMR, Resting Metabolic Rate, is how many calories your body burns in a given day. This number changes easily when you exercise, eat, do anything... It is most effective to measure it in the morning, right when you wake up, on an empty stomach.

People tend to just guess what their RMR is and are usually way off (eat way too little or dont limit food intake enough) a lot of people will go down to like 1000 calories a day and thats very low.

Your usual health club offers RMR tests for around $50 and honestly, it's $50 well spent. If anybody is interested in getting one done please talk to me because there are things you need to do to prep for the test so you get the most accurate reading.

Good stuff....thats the first thing I did. Found out I actually should be eating more calories than what I normally do (of course with healthy foods). Sometimes its hard...but thats what the smoothie machine is for

Also, stphy...we spoke awhile ago about the supplements and stuff....I actually got it down quite a bit now...pretty much down to a multi and a couple others now, as far as pills go...

Last edited by RaptorCLS; 10-26-2005 at 01:18 PM.
Old 10-26-2005, 01:26 PM
tsxy

Originally Posted by RaptorCLS
Good stuff....thats the first thing I did. Found out I actually should be eating more calories than what I normally do (of course with healthy foods). Sometimes its hard...but thats what the smoothie machine is for

Also, stphy...we spoke awhile ago about the supplements and stuff....I actually got it down quite a bit now...pretty much down to a multi and a couple others now, as far as pills go...
Hey! So you went and got the RMR done? May I ask what it was? Isnt that great that now you know... it helps so much! and over time you will just know how many calories something has in it, it will get easier if you are concerned

Im really happy that you have lowered the pill count down, thats great! I wish you the best!