Health & Fitness You're fat. Get skinny…

nautilus weights or free weights?

Old 08-11-2005, 01:34 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nautilus weights or free weights?

is there a difference in results using either, saying you exercise with both until you are fatigued?

also what foods are good to keep in your diet to try to get bigger, or more muscle definition, i've been eatin alot of egg whites and banana's if that does anything?
Old 08-11-2005, 01:37 AM
Yeehaw

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
Yes, there is a difference. Free weights are generally better. Instead of only controlling the motion of the weights in one direction on a nautilus, you have to balance them front/back right/left if you lift free weights. Works more of the muscle.

Eat whole grains, fruits and vegetables, and lots of lean protein. There are a few threads of details Abreece typed up if you browse through the health and fitness forum.

oh but Nautilus does have its advantages though. If you want to work a very specific muscle, you can isolate and build quicker. If say you want to get a bigger bicep, you might get better results on a machine (if thats your only concern). Lately I've been noticing my traps are somewhat out of proportion, so I started doing shoulder presses on the machine. I put up 200 or so on the machine for reps, no way I'm doing that with free weights.
Old 08-11-2005, 08:47 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have two exercises in my entire routine that use machines - seated calf raises, and cable rows. Both for the reason beet gave - they target a very specific muscle area that I feel needs work. Everything else is free weights.
Old 08-11-2005, 01:56 PM
Burning Brakes

interesting, but for bench pressing, the problem i have is that i have don't have a spotter and for that reason i use the nautilus machines
Old 08-11-2005, 02:09 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by azn5ucka86
interesting, but for bench pressing, the problem i have is that i have don't have a spotter and for that reason i use the nautilus machines
Ask someone for a spot. Your'e really shortchanging yourself if you bench on a machine - there's a ton of very important stabilizer muscles that you aren't working on the machine that would be getting a workout on a freeweight bench.
Old 08-11-2005, 02:11 PM
Luke 1:37

If you can't finish your sets without a spotter, you're doing too much weight in my opinion.

Free weights all the way too, I only use Nautilus if the weights are already taken and I don't feel like waiting.

Free weights also help you with balancing your muscles, ie. if you're stronger on one side, the nautilus machines won't help you fix that.
Old 08-11-2005, 02:14 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Free weights require you to stabalize, as mentioned, so you work more muscles. At the same time though, I think nautalis lets you focus a little more. My advice, use both. Keep changing up your routine and shocking your body as much as possible.
Old 08-11-2005, 02:15 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by virtualbong
If you can't finish your sets without a spotter, you're doing too much weight in my opinion.
I disagree. Thats why having a spotter is great because you can push yourself to the very limit, and slightly past.
Old 08-11-2005, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by fdl
I disagree. Thats why having a spotter is great because you can push yourself to the very limit, and slightly past.
I forgot to also mention that I lift to get toned and in my eyes, people who need a spotter to push themselves want to get bigger rather than toned. Who knows how beneficial it is to get that last rep when you need help to get it up...
Old 08-11-2005, 02:26 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

I forgot to also mention that I lift to get toned and in my eyes, people who need a spotter to push themselves want to get bigger rather than toned.
Ok, well thats different. You probably do high reps. And yes, doing more weight with a spotter is more abouit mass/strength building

Who knows how beneficial it is to get that last rep when you need help to get it up...
As long as you are going 100% I think its beneficial. Lets say you are doing 10 reps. You get that last rep done and maybe still have some strength left. Perhaps not enough for a full rep but a littel left in the tank. With a spot you could keep going and really max yourself out. Without a spot you would stop at 95% or whatever.
Old 08-11-2005, 02:26 PM
Yeehaw

Who knows how beneficial it is to get that last rep when you need help to get it up...
I do. It is.
Old 08-11-2005, 02:30 PM
Registered Abuser of VTEC

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
I use a combination of both. I do bench presses with free weights for example, then I hit the pec dec or vertical bench to wear myself out.
Old 08-11-2005, 02:43 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by youngTL
I use a combination of both. I do bench presses with free weights for example, then I hit the pec dec or vertical bench to wear myself out.

thats a good strategy.
Old 08-11-2005, 03:38 PM
I shoot people

Received 2,866 Likes on 1,426 Posts
...ahhhhhhh the old debate of which is better machine or free weights...

...actually there are "pros" and "cons" to both...

here's an example.. and actually try it after you read this...

..lift one leg off the ground and do a one-legged squat WITHOUT holding on to anything... you should feel all the little muscle fibers in you ankles and maybe even in the knee joint area... those are your "STABLIZER" muscles at work... when doing any kind of balancing act... which would include doing many or most free weight exercises... (like... dumbbell chest press for example) you'll involved them...

...now do it again, but this time, hold on to something, like a pole or counter.... or anything solid.... there'll be a lot less balancing... BUT now... you can isolate more... this would be equivalent using machines...

I use both, I could go through a whole workout with using only free weights or only machines... but there are sooooooooooooo many things that you can do with machines and NOT with free weights, and vice versa. It's kinda hard to explain, but the resistance is different from one to the other... for those of you that swear by free weights only... you oughtta change it up a little... cause your muscle's gotten used to the same form of resistance... changing it up will "confuse" the muscle, thus yield to further growth/performance.
Old 08-11-2005, 04:10 PM
Suzuka Master

I forgot to also mention that I lift to get toned and in my eyes, people who need a spotter to push themselves want to get bigger rather than toned. Who knows how beneficial it is to get that last rep when you need help to get it up...
Wrong. The whole "high reps to get toned!!1@ I don't wanna be big!!~" line is a bunch of bullshit. Having good muscle tone requires two things: lots of muscle mass and low bodyfat. Lower reps are better for accomplishing both. Those last few reps are where most of your gains are going to come from. If you don't need a spotter for your last rep, you aren't working hard enough.
Old 08-12-2005, 09:33 AM
Burning Brakes

what are some good exercises to do with dumbell/free weights? aside from the typical arm curl and what not
Old 08-12-2005, 10:10 AM
Suzuka Master

what are some good exercises to do with dumbell/free weights? aside from the typical arm curl and what not
Dumbells and barbells...

Here's the cliffnotes of my workout. I do a few exercises on machines (cable rows and seated calf raises). Everything else, which i've listed below, is done with freeweights.

flat bench press
incline bench
dumbell flies
dips

shrugs
bus drivers (aka front plate raise)
shoulder press
laterall raise

bent over barbell rows
deadlift
flat bench dumbell rows (might not be the right name for it...)

concentration curls
preacher curls
hammer curls

squats
lunges
calf raises
straight-legged deadlift
Old 08-12-2005, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by ABreece
Wrong. The whole "high reps to get toned!!1@ I don't wanna be big!!~" line is a bunch of bullshit. Having good muscle tone requires two things: lots of muscle mass and low bodyfat. Lower reps are better for accomplishing both. Those last few reps are where most of your gains are going to come from. If you don't need a spotter for your last rep, you aren't working hard enough.
Well, whatever I'm doing seems to work for me. I guess everyone's body is different so try whatever works and stick with it.

I'm assuming you're a trainer or something. Is this what you do?

btw. I also do cardio which is crucial for a toned body.

I wish people would post their workout and then post themselves so that people know what the results could be.
Old 08-12-2005, 12:50 PM
Suzuka Master

Well, whatever I'm doing seems to work for me. I guess everyone's body is different so try whatever works and stick with it.

I'm assuming you're a trainer or something. Is this what you do?

btw. I also do cardio which is crucial for a toned body.

I wish people would post their workout and then post themselves so that people know what the results could be.
Not a trainer, i just do a lot of reading and pay attention to what works best.

If i were you I'd try the lower rep thing. High reps work, but you will see better results if you keep your reps low and your weight and intensity high. How long have you been lifting? You might still be in your n00b gains.

I've talked with some people who claim they never do cardio and they have very low bodyfat. Others claim they can't get lean ( 5-8% bodyfat is what i'm talking about here ) unless they do cardio. I don't have enough experience or knowledge to say for sure if those that "need" it are just eating crappy, or what's going on.

I'll post my pics when I'm no longer a fatty and can actually show off what i've done.
Old 08-12-2005, 01:46 PM

Not a trainer, i just do a lot of reading and pay attention to what works best.

If i were you I'd try the lower rep thing. High reps work, but you will see better results if you keep your reps low and your weight and intensity high. How long have you been lifting? You might still be in your n00b gains.

I've talked with some people who claim they never do cardio and they have very low bodyfat. Others claim they can't get lean ( 5-8% bodyfat is what i'm talking about here ) unless they do cardio. I don't have enough experience or knowledge to say for sure if those that "need" it are just eating crappy, or what's going on.

I'll post my pics when I'm no longer a fatty and can actually show off what i've done.
Definitely not noob. Been lifting since freshmen year of highschool which is a solid 12 years now. I did the whole heavy weight lifting and lower rep and that just got me big. All I care about is getting toned and this workout combined with cardio has done the job.

This is me...

Granted, I've been working out for 12 years now...but started the whole cardio plus higher reps for 2 years.
Old 08-12-2005, 03:22 PM
Suzuka Master

Definitely not noob. Been lifting since freshmen year of highschool which is a solid 12 years now. I did the whole heavy weight lifting and lower rep and that just got me big. All I care about is getting toned and this workout combined with cardio has done the job.

This is me...

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v72/virtualbong/2004%20Hawaii%20Trip/IMG_0472.jpg[IMG]

Granted, I've been working out for 12 years now...but started the whole cardio plus higher reps for 2 years.
Ahh, now i see where you're coming from. You put on muscle mass, and then increased the reps when leaning out. Someone just starting out won't put on nearly enough mass to look like you when lean with low weight high reps.

Nice physique btw, you look good
Old 08-12-2005, 03:26 PM
Yeehaw

I'd do ya.
Old 08-12-2005, 03:50 PM
Masshole

:ibyoungtl:

On a side note, I'm in the same boat as you bonger. I started lifting 5 years ago. I got big, but wasn't nearly as toned as I would like. Diet was a part of this, but now since I live with my girlfriend, healthy foods have taken over. So now, I'm doing the high rep/lower weight, and seeing how it goes from there. I play hockey (goalie) once/twice a week, softball once a week, and swimming every so often, so that's my cardio for now. Once it gets colder I'll start running/biking again (although I hate running with a passion - unfortunately the gym I go to does not have an elliptical).

Last edited by mc_yanzo; 08-12-2005 at 03:55 PM.
Old 08-12-2005, 05:38 PM
Registered Abuser of VTEC

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by mc_yanzo
:ibyoungtl:

On a side note, I'm in the same boat as you bonger. I started lifting 5 years ago. I got big, but wasn't nearly as toned as I would like. Diet was a part of this, but now since I live with my girlfriend, healthy foods have taken over. So now, I'm doing the high rep/lower weight, and seeing how it goes from there. I play hockey (goalie) once/twice a week, softball once a week, and swimming every so often, so that's my cardio for now. Once it gets colder I'll start running/biking again (although I hate running with a passion - unfortunately the gym I go to does not have an elliptical).
:youbcorrect:

I have the reverse issue. I was toned as hell in high school, but very little mass. So now I'm trying mainly for mass. I still look like a starving white kid from Ethiopia though compared to some of you guys.
Old 08-12-2005, 10:42 PM

Ahh, now i see where you're coming from. You put on muscle mass, and then increased the reps when leaning out. Someone just starting out won't put on nearly enough mass to look like you when lean with low weight high reps.

Nice physique btw, you look good
Do you know what, I do tell my friends that I did have to bulk up first and then tone down. Bulking up in college was not a problem when you're living in a frat house with a cook who supplies you with all you can eat. Man, I got up to 180 at one point and that's BIG for me. I'm down to a solid 165-170 now.
Old 08-13-2005, 12:44 AM
Suzuka Master

Do you know what, I do tell my friends that I did have to bulk up first and then tone down. Bulking up in college was not a problem when you're living in a frat house with a cook who supplies you with all you can eat. Man, I got up to 180 at one point and that's BIG for me. I'm down to a solid 165-170 now.
There's a guy on a forum I'm on who's a semi-pro fitness model. He has an amazing body. His "before" pics are real eye-openers - he has some from when he was like 6' 140, some from when he was like 6' 210, and his current ones are about 6' 180. He has a body that most guys would kill for, and he got it by getting huge first.

edit: here are his pics, let's hope the links work

@ 145lbs. He's the guy in the black tank top

http://www.ihostphotos.com/show.php?id=102944

@ 215

http://www.ihostphotos.com/show.php?id=102943
http://www.ihostphotos.com/show.php?id=102947

@180 after cutting from 215
http://l00075.myspace.com/00075/43/56/75396534_l.jpg
Old 08-13-2005, 12:28 PM

Holy Crap!

What a transition but that's a little too toned for me. I don't want to be in the extremes. I hate the huge bowling ball look, but I also kinda dislike the absolutely ripped look. Kinda looks weird...but I'm sure the ladies love the dude's body. Ah well.