Health & Fitness You're fat. Get skinny…

I know you can't spot reduce, but need some help in general

Old 01-04-2008, 08:11 PM
Making it Happen

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I know you can't spot reduce, but need some help in general

I'm 5 8 and currently weight 175. I can't remember the last time I had a flat stomach, but just looking at me no one would guess I'm overweight and many guess I weight 155 or so. Basically I have a semi large build below the waist, my legs are muscular and big, but I also have a huge ass with some fat buildup in that area. Other fat consists primarily in the stomach area but not the upper chest. My upper body is a little smaller then my lower body, not anything thats obviously or super disproportional but I would like to build up my upper body along with the width near my hip area through weightlifting.

I haven't been in the gym for like 3 years for weightlifting.

My current plan is to do 50 minutes of fast paced cardio 5-6 a week along with weight training. Can anyone introduce a weight training plan that would help me reach my goals? I'd love to get rid of some of the extra weight in the ass and leg area if possible, but I know you can't spot reduce.
Old 01-04-2008, 08:45 PM
B A N N E D

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
search for fifty fives progress thread... good stuff in there for workouts
Old 01-05-2008, 03:17 AM
Go Giants

Received 1,236 Likes on 825 Posts
I'm about the same as you....Just do a good mix of cardio and weights.....
Old 01-06-2008, 10:19 AM
Making it Happen

Well specifically I was looking for some weightlifting exercises that would add width to my upper body and around the waist area.
Old 01-06-2008, 02:01 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,149 Likes on 775 Posts
Originally Posted by Renegade
Well specifically I was looking for some weightlifting exercises that would add width to my upper body and around the waist area.
Adding inches depends on your body type- weights will help you with strength even if you can't add size, so you can't go wrong as long as you have a decent technique. It sounds like you have the same body type I did-- my quads and calves were cut (without steriods!) and I squat repped twice my weight and then some, but couldn't build up or define much in my biceps, triceps or chest, although I was benching more than my weight.

And Whiskers is right-- the cardio mix will help burn the excess fat and weight training will build muscle. FWIW, you may trim down, but actually begin to weigh more from building muscle mass in a couple months.
Get a coach, trainer or knowledgeable friend to help out with technique and spot initially. G/L!
Old 01-07-2008, 02:20 AM
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Renegade
I'm 5 8 and currently weight 175. I can't remember the last time I had a flat stomach, but just looking at me no one would guess I'm overweight and many guess I weight 155 or so. Basically I have a semi large build below the waist, my legs are muscular and big, but I also have a huge ass with some fat buildup in that area. Other fat consists primarily in the stomach area but not the upper chest. My upper body is a little smaller then my lower body, not anything thats obviously or super disproportional but I would like to build up my upper body along with the width near my hip area through weightlifting.

I haven't been in the gym for like 3 years for weightlifting.

My current plan is to do 50 minutes of fast paced cardio 5-6 a week along with weight training. Can anyone introduce a weight training plan that would help me reach my goals? I'd love to get rid of some of the extra weight in the ass and leg area if possible, but I know you can't spot reduce.
I'm in the same exact boat as you, I'll definitely be paying attention to this thread.
Old 01-09-2008, 10:43 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Run, run, and run some more. The flab will fall off. Then you can concentrate on building lean muscle mass. It's kind of hard to build muscle mass and lose all the fat you want at the same time.
Old 01-09-2008, 10:55 AM
Drifting

^^ werd you can't really cut and gain mass at the same time... you can replace fat with muscle tho but you won't be cutting as much...

The basics are all you need right now... i used to split up my days into push, pull, legs... ensuring I used my core to stablize myself in everything helped the midsection...

it's really whatever works for you.. you've gotta try a bunch of different things and then go from there