Health & Fitness You're fat. Get skinny…

how dangerous is this diet?

Old 06-01-2005, 08:20 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
how dangerous is this diet?

i've been doing this on and off for about 1 month now
i've gone from 170 lbs to 155 in 1 week, gained a few went abck to 162 went to 152 in about 1 week, and today i'm back to 157 and trying to get down to 145 or less

what i've been doing is eating 2 cans of tuna a day and sometimes a chicken breast instead of 1 can tuna.

It seems to work really well to make me lose weight, but how healthy is it to lose so much weight so fast?
Old 06-01-2005, 08:26 AM
LOLZ McCain Sux

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rbf351
i've gone from 170 lbs to 155 in 1 week, gained a few went abck to 162 went to 152 in about 1 week, and today i'm back to 157 and trying to get down to 145 or less

what i've been doing is eating 2 cans of tuna a day and sometimes a chicken breast instead of 1 can tuna.

It seems to work really well to make me lose weight, but how healthy is it to lose so much weight so fast?

Lets just say its safe for arguments sake. The day you start eating normally again you will blow up like a balloon. I went from 225 to 190 in about 2 months one summer and stopped working out for a year and gained about 50 lbs. Now for me it isn't all that bad because I have pretty good amount of muscle so I don't look like fatty McGee, more like scary 240 bouncer. Now I don't know how much muscle you have but seeing that your trying to lose weight at 170 prolly means you don't have much. SOOOOOO when you start eating normally and/or stop getting time to work out you will prolly get up to 190 and with no muscle that will look pretty bad.
Old 06-01-2005, 08:32 AM
Go Giants

Received 1,232 Likes on 822 Posts
My understanding is that you have a harder time loosing weight when you are really hungry.
Old 06-01-2005, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by JesusJuice
Lets just say its safe for arguments sake. The day you start eating normally again you will blow up like a balloon. I went from 225 to 190 in about 2 months one summer and stopped working out for a year and gained about 50 lbs. Now for me it isn't all that bad because I have pretty good amount of muscle so I don't look like fatty McGee, more like scary 240 bouncer. Now I don't know how much muscle you have but seeing that your trying to lose weight at 170 prolly means you don't have much. SOOOOOO when you start eating normally and/or stop getting time to work out you will prolly get up to 190 and with no muscle that will look pretty bad.
i have a decent amount of muscle, i'm trying to lose the my gut and some extra fat i have

i do goto the gym 4 days a week and lift and do cardio for 30 minutes
i have my bodyfat mesaured at the gym, and it was 17% when i was 170lbs, which isn't horrible, but can also be a lower
Old 06-01-2005, 09:13 AM
LOLZ McCain Sux

i have a decent amount of muscle, i'm trying to lose the my gut and some extra fat i have

i do goto the gym 4 days a week and lift and do cardio for 30 minutes
i have my bodyfat mesaured at the gym, and it was 17% when i was 170lbs, which isn't horrible, but can also be a lower
awww I see
Well I mean you and me both know its not too safe, life threatening? Naw, but its not going to help you in the long run. Its better to lose weight slower and with more of a realistic diet so your body doesnt store all the fat it eats thinking your starving (which you are)
Old 06-01-2005, 09:26 AM
Race Director

if ur doing that much exercise, and only eating that little, no it is not healthy. By starving yourself your actually going to inhibit fatloss, and just end up losing muscle and strength overall.
Old 06-01-2005, 09:33 AM
Yeehaw

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts

Well is tuna the only thing you are eating? If so... I gave that a shot once, take a look https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...highlight=tuna.

Its not healthy, especially if you are working out like RMATIC said. Your body is going to start burning too much muscle instead of carbohydrates.

It does work though, and if you still want to do it I would suggest taking a good multivitamin (GNC Mega Men) and NOT exercising.
Old 06-01-2005, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by BEETROOT
Well is tuna the only thing you are eating? If so... I gave that a shot once, take a look https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...highlight=tuna.

Its not healthy, especially if you are working out like RMATIC said. Your body is going to start burning too much muscle instead of carbohydrates.

It does work though, and if you still want to do it I would suggest taking a good multivitamin (GNC Mega Men) and NOT exercising.
i thought i saw someone else trying it

i do switch off between tuna and chicken, but thats usually about it, sometimes my fiance forces me to have some broccoli just to get a few carbs into me.

the only thing i hate about this diet is having no energy at all. when i'm at the gym i'm lucky to lift half of what i normally can

Originally Posted by RMATIC09
if ur doing that much exercise, and only eating that little, no it is not healthy. By starving yourself your actually going to inhibit fatloss, and just end up losing muscle and strength overall.
i'm only doing this to try and lose my gut, then i'll slowly get back to a normal diet
Old 06-01-2005, 01:18 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unless you are a midgit, this is insane. 2 cans of tuna is about 200-300 cal. I am not sure how you could pull this off for 1 month much less 1 week. Where are the carbs? I am willing to bet you are losing a lot of muscle mass to make up for the lack of carbs. Do yourself a favor and eat a balanced diet with more calories. Once you begin to eat more calories your body will likely pack on the pounds in order to prepare for any future calorie decreases.
Old 06-01-2005, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by Adam_Schwartz
Unless you are a midgit, this is insane. 2 cans of tuna is about 200-300 cal. I am not sure how you could pull this off for 1 month much less 1 week. Where are the carbs? I am willing to bet you are losing a lot of muscle mass to make up for the lack of carbs. Do yourself a favor and eat a balanced diet with more calories. Once you begin to eat more calories your body will likely pack on the pounds in order to prepare for any future calorie decreases.
i've only done it for 1 week straight, and on and off for a month

the hardest part is getting past the 2nd day, after that it's pretty easy to do
Old 06-01-2005, 03:09 PM
Banned

One day or one month, it is not a wise idea. Any weight you lose on this will most likely be muscle because you are not supplying your body with enough food to produce glycogen - thus your body will catabolize its own muscle for energy. It is just not a very wise idea, but in the end it's your call.

Just think about this - you consume 300 cal/day on this "diet". So your body slows down its metabolism as a survival response. Your body does not know the difference between being on a desert island or voluntary calorie reduction. So it reacts the same in either case. In the end you will lose muscle and add fat and be flabbier and have less body composition than before - trust me. Not to mention the human brain alone needs about 75 g of carbs to function properly. So no carbs is just a bad, bad idea.
Old 06-01-2005, 03:59 PM

One day or one month, it is not a wise idea. Any weight you lose on this will most likely be muscle because you are not supplying your body with enough food to produce glycogen - thus your body will catabolize its own muscle for energy. It is just not a very wise idea, but in the end it's your call.

Just think about this - you consume 300 cal/day on this "diet". So your body slows down its metabolism as a survival response. Your body does not know the difference between being on a desert island or voluntary calorie reduction. So it reacts the same in either case. In the end you will lose muscle and add fat and be flabbier and have less body composition than before - trust me. Not to mention the human brain alone needs about 75 g of carbs to function properly. So no carbs is just a bad, bad idea.
your right, and so is every one else who told me not to do this diet

weird thing is that my doctor told me it's ok as long as i don't go more than 2 months straight
Old 06-01-2005, 04:41 PM
Banned

Truth about 99% of the doctors out there is that they know as much about nutrition as my cat does, if that. By your thread title you seem to have a gut feeling that this is not a good diet to follow and we all gave you valid reasons why your gut feeling is right. We are not trying to be haters but just laying it out there. This is not a good idea - you need more carbs AND calories. Just be patient and eat a clean, balanced diet and you'll be fine. 2-3 lbs/week is a SAFE weight loss if that tells you anything.
Old 06-01-2005, 07:16 PM

Truth about 99% of the doctors out there is that they know as much about nutrition as my cat does, if that. By your thread title you seem to have a gut feeling that this is not a good diet to follow and we all gave you valid reasons why your gut feeling is right. We are not trying to be haters but just laying it out there. This is not a good idea - you need more carbs AND calories. Just be patient and eat a clean, balanced diet and you'll be fine. 2-3 lbs/week is a SAFE weight loss if that tells you anything.
started tonight by doing it the right way, went with my Fiance to olive garden and had a salad and chicken
Old 06-02-2005, 12:47 PM
Banned

Good for you - I know you will be much better off in the long run eating more than 300 calories/day made up of well-balanced meals. Sounds like some PBS crap, but it's legit.
Old 06-02-2005, 01:08 PM

Good for you - I know you will be much better off in the long run eating more than 300 calories/day made up of well-balanced meals. Sounds like some PBS crap, but it's legit.
it amazing how much better i feel after just 1 day of eating normal, i can actually function at work and not be half asleep
Old 06-02-2005, 03:06 PM
Banned

That is good to hear - carbs are your friend.