Health & Fitness You're fat. Get skinny…

HIIT vs Low intensity cardio?

Old 05-12-2005, 11:53 PM
styling on you

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
HIIT vs Low intensity cardio?

Hey guys, do you guys prefer HIIT (I think this stands for High intensity?) cardio or low intensity. Summer break is coming up in about a month, and that's when I'll have some time to do some serious cardio. Basically I want to be more in shape, and burn off some body fat, I'm around the 14-15% area, and where I want to be is 10% or less. Anyways, can you guys shed some light on high intensity cardio excersises?

Another quick question, should you eat before running, or should you run on an empty stomach. And what are some good foods to eat if eating before is better.

*noob trying to get in shape
Old 05-13-2005, 12:05 AM
Yeehaw

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
Do a combination. I do the elliptical for 30 minutes (low intensity), then run immediately after (high).

For eating, I suggest eating something high in carbohydrates around 2 hours before your run. Preferably whole grain, with no dairy or anything greasy. Running on a full stomach is no good, but I don't like to feel hungry before I go, so sometimes I'll eat a clif bar or a powerbar 15 minutes before I run.
Old 05-13-2005, 02:32 AM
I shoot people

Received 2,885 Likes on 1,431 Posts
...from personal experience.... (AND from tons of buddys that competed, 2 of them turned pro), low intensity's always worked better for me... at least 45 minutes... but usually 60... with NO breaks (in other words don't break'em up... like 30 minutes here and 30 minutes there).

I feel that if my heart rate goes up too high... I'm just burning sugar and NOT fat...

it's also what I suggest all my clients... and I've had over 400 clients since 98' (FYI, I'm a personal trainer), I've seen lots of results from the low intensity method.

...but what ever you decide to go with... just don't do less than 30 minutes... IMO, your fat burning is just kickin' in at around 30 minutes... why stop there??
Old 05-13-2005, 10:08 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I personally do neither - I do high intensity cardio, which is not HIIT. If you want to lose fat, you have to get the heart rate up, generally speaking. You can only do that when you up the intensity, whether it be HIIT or just upping the intensity in general.
Old 05-13-2005, 10:23 AM
My Work is Done Here

I don't really do low intensity.... I try, but I always end up pushing myself. it's a curse

That being said... I'll do steady cardio at an intensity level of about 7 (out of 10) after I lift weights. That's usually when I push myslef and end up doing about 8, and then 9 towards the end.

Then on days that I don't lift, I do HIIT. either sprints or just regular intervals where I alternate between intensity of 9/10 and 5/6.
Old 05-13-2005, 10:59 AM
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HIIT is meant to burn as much as fat, and preserve as much muscle as possible. Thats why the duration is short, but your heart rate is constantly high.

Low intensity, burns fat as well, to me, its about prefrence.

I do ellipitcal mostly, (running hurts my feet, im flat footed and have a fractured bone in my foot) at a high resistance and high speed, and in regards to eating, once again its what your main goal is.

I prefer cardio in the early AM, usually right after i wake up and have a stretch. Is this optimal for preserving my muscle mass ? No, yet im not competing and it helps me stay lean.

If you must eat, id just recommend a quick digesting protein,.

Your body prefers carbs-->/fats-->/protein in regards to energy.

Without carbs- your body hits the fat storage for energy....

anyways, thats what i read....

hope it helped.
Old 05-15-2005, 01:09 AM
Suzuka Master

Low intensity spares more muscle than high intensity. It's all about what works for you and your schedule.
Old 05-15-2005, 11:04 PM
Go Noles!

don't eliminate carbs from your diet.

do at least 1/2 hour of cardio per day, and get your heart level ~140-170, depending on your age/weight. but that's about average for most.

as for which type of carbs to eat before/after, look at the chart in this link:
http://www.gncproperformance.com/art...?id=35&lang=en

check out this link too, to go with it:
http://www.gncproperformance.com/art...?id=51&lang=en

sorry for posting links, i hate it when people do that, i'd rather them summarize it for me but these articles are very interesting.
Old 05-20-2005, 08:31 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by SeCsTaC
Hey guys, do you guys prefer HIIT (I think this stands for High intensity?) cardio or low intensity. Summer break is coming up in about a month, and that's when I'll have some time to do some serious cardio. Basically I want to be more in shape, and burn off some body fat, I'm around the 14-15% area, and where I want to be is 10% or less. Anyways, can you guys shed some light on high intensity cardio excersises?

Another quick question, should you eat before running, or should you run on an empty stomach. And what are some good foods to eat if eating before is better.

I love doing HIIT cardio. It works way better than doing long low intensity cariod workouts. My HIIT workouts are only about 20mins and i feel like i just played 2 hrs of b-ball. I use either the eliptical machine or the treadmill. I do high intensity for 60sec then do low intensity for 30seconds until i reach a total of 20mins. I do it after i do my regular weight lifting routine twice a week. Eat right and do HIIT you'll be sure to hit ur 10% mark
Old 05-20-2005, 10:45 PM
styling on you

Originally Posted by ButtAhZ
I love doing HIIT cardio. It works way better than doing long low intensity cariod workouts. My HIIT workouts are only about 20mins and i feel like i just played 2 hrs of b-ball. I use either the eliptical machine or the treadmill. I do high intensity for 60sec then do low intensity for 30seconds until i reach a total of 20mins. I do it after i do my regular weight lifting routine twice a week. Eat right and do HIIT you'll be sure to hit ur 10% mark
Cool. Although I think I'll alternate between high intensity and low intensity. I'll start next month since thats when summer break is. =D
Old 05-18-2006, 08:48 AM
We are watching you.

Question im 380lbs

Originally Posted by is300eater
...from personal experience.... (AND from tons of buddys that competed, 2 of them turned pro), low intensity's always worked better for me... at least 45 minutes... but usually 60... with NO breaks (in other words don't break'em up... like 30 minutes here and 30 minutes there).

I feel that if my heart rate goes up too high... I'm just burning sugar and NOT fat...

it's also what I suggest all my clients... and I've had over 400 clients since 98' (FYI, I'm a personal trainer), I've seen lots of results from the low intensity method.

...but what ever you decide to go with... just don't do less than 30 minutes... IMO, your fat burning is just kickin' in at around 30 minutes... why stop there??

Hi, im 380lbs, and i can barely pull 10 minutes of high paced stationary bike, excerise. Let alone 30 or 45 minutes. I do any more than 10 or 15 minutes, and I will vomit. As I have done 30 before, and I threw up 6 times. PLEASE HELP. Any advice will be most wonderous.

But my goal is to lose 140lbs, in one year. And i will do whatever i have to, to lose it, within this year. DOES ANYONE, have any thoughts on this. PLEASE REPLY ,if so.

Also, im 6'2, and male.

Last edited by masterproge; 05-18-2006 at 08:51 AM.
Old 05-18-2006, 08:55 AM
Go Giants

Received 1,233 Likes on 823 Posts
We are here to help..Here is what I did to loose 95 LBS.

https://acurazine.com/forums/health-fitness-34/whiskers-weight-loss-advice-thread-319921/
Old 05-18-2006, 12:11 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by masterproge
Hi, im 380lbs, and i can barely pull 10 minutes of high paced stationary bike, excerise. Let alone 30 or 45 minutes. I do any more than 10 or 15 minutes, and I will vomit. As I have done 30 before, and I threw up 6 times. PLEASE HELP. Any advice will be most wonderous.

But my goal is to lose 140lbs, in one year. And i will do whatever i have to, to lose it, within this year. DOES ANYONE, have any thoughts on this. PLEASE REPLY ,if so.

Also, im 6'2, and male.
Just change your diet. You don't need to add any exercise at all early on to lose a shit-ton of fat.

limit yourself to 2000 calories a day and you'll see amazing results.
Old 05-18-2006, 02:13 PM
Have camera, will travel

Originally Posted by SeCsTaC

I'll pose a little scenario. Let's say you decide to do the Stairmaster. In one session you do 30 minutes at level 10 and in the next session you do 30 minutes at level 15. In which session do you think you did the most work, burned the most calories/fat?

That said, I don't think anyone should always go balls to the wall with intensity. It needs to be varied lest you start exceeding your bodies ability to recover (overtraining). But alll things being equal, harder is better.

Click here to read some interesting info on the subject. Clarence Bass is in his 70's I believe, and maintains a bodyfat level of around 5%, and has for many years. Weight training, cardio and clean eating. Thats' the ticket.
Old 05-18-2006, 02:16 PM
We are watching you.

Thanks

Originally Posted by Whiskers
We are here to help..Here is what I did to loose 95 LBS.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=319921

Thanks, much for sharing that with me.

I do plan on weight training later. But i'm kinda worry, as i did weights in high school, and i turned out looking like a body builder.

And i do not want to look like that. I guess my real question was. How can I do the HIIT for 15/20 minutes without getting sick, and without my chest feeling like it is going to explode from my body. It has never been a "will" issue, it is and has always been an "able" issue.
Old 05-18-2006, 02:19 PM
Have camera, will travel

Also, im 6'2, and male.
I'll tell you what to do: stick with it. If you can only do 10 minutes on th bike, keep working at it, try to increase the time you can do on a regular basis. Get your diet straightened out. And most of all, be PERSISTENT! That is the single greatest attribute of any successful fitness regimen. Also, if you're not already, start training with weights in addition to the cardio you're doing.

Good luck. You can do it. Don't worry about losing 140 pounds in one year. Shoot for a couple of pounds a week and STICK WITH THE PROGRAM. Don't let anything deter you from you goal. You've already taken the hardest step, and that's deciding to do it.
Old 05-18-2006, 02:22 PM
We are watching you.

Question

Originally Posted by ABreece
Just change your diet. You don't need to add any exercise at all early on to lose a shit-ton of fat.

limit yourself to 2000 calories a day and you'll see amazing results.

That does make me feel better, but i have a question.

This whole calories burnt issue, has me dreadfully confused. If i consume 2000 calories daily, yet only workout and burn 600 calories. Would not it be logic to assume, that those 600 burnt calories, were all taken up within, the total caloric intake of the day? So, rather you could in fact say, you consumed 1400 calories, instead of 2000.

And i of course am assuming that the normal body functions do not burn that many calories.

I'm fairly concern that i have taken this infomation in incorrectly.lol.

SO, I would in fact love a correction. Thanks so much
Old 05-18-2006, 02:22 PM
Have camera, will travel

Thanks, much for sharing that with me.

I do plan on weight training later. But i'm kinda worry, as i did weights in high school, and i turned out looking like a body builder.

And i do not want to look like that. I guess my real question was. How can I do the HIIT for 15/20 minutes without getting sick, and without my chest feeling like it is going to explode from my body. It has never been a "will" issue, it is and has always been an "able" issue.
You do it by slowly building intensity over a period of time. Start by doing what you can do, do it for awhile, then try to do a little more. Baby steps. Before you know it, you'll be amazing yourself. Especially as the weight continues to fall off.

Keep us apprised of your progress.
Old 05-18-2006, 02:27 PM
Have camera, will travel

^^On your calorie question, you have to remember that the average male needs about 2500 calories of intake just to maintain body weight. So, you lower this figure by about 500 cals and throw in some quality excercise, and the weight will fall off, especially in someone who is very out of shape. Heavier people need more calories, so initial weight loss is usually greater.
Old 05-18-2006, 02:29 PM
We are watching you.

Smile Well Appreciated

Originally Posted by waTSX
I'll tell you what to do: stick with it. If you can only do 10 minutes on th bike, keep working at it, try to increase the time you can do on a regular basis. Get your diet straightened out. And most of all, be PERSISTENT! That is the single greatest attribute of any successful fitness regimen. Also, if you're not already, start training with weights in addition to the cardio you're doing.

Good luck. You can do it. Don't worry about losing 140 pounds in one year. Shoot for a couple of pounds a week and STICK WITH THE PROGRAM. Don't let anything deter you from you goal. You've already taken the hardest step, and that's deciding to do it.

Thank you so much for your interest in my post.

That makes me feel a whole lot better. Thanks again.
Old 05-19-2006, 05:54 AM
USTHS76

Also, im 6'2, and male.
Don't get too focused on losing 140#. Take it one day/one workout at a time and do it SLOWLY! First, you need to get a good pair of shoes. My recommendation is to get running shoes (cushioned, not stability or m/c) since you can use them both for running and walking. Here's my recommendation for your workout (it's a variation of a workout article I read on runnersworld.com):

- Walk, at a comfortable pace, for 15 minutes one way, then, walk back 15 minutes (it's important you go one way so it forces you to walk back). Do this for a week or so (it's up to you, depending on your progress). The following week, run slowly for 3-5 minutes, walk the rest to complete 15 minutes (still going one way) and walk back. Do this for a week or so. Every week or so, add 1 minute to your running while decreasing your walking time. Once you complete 15 minutes run-walk one way, walk back.

- You can do the above on a treadmill, too.

- Hydrate. Water is fine, doesn't have to be gatorade or whatnot. At least, 8 glasses a day. If you feel like eating but don't want to, drink a full glass of water instead.

- Insert crosstraining workouts (elliptical, biking) to keep you motivated.

- Weight training is also good but could come later (again, your choice). The majority of your calorie burning will come from doing aerobic activities.

Goodluck!
Old 05-19-2006, 02:36 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
High intensity cardio is preferrable for people with goals of adding muscle mass as long as you try to beat your last record (either time or distance) every time you do it. Just like with lifting weights to add muscle. 16 min of cardio is enough time if it's of high intensity.
Old 05-21-2006, 02:46 AM
We are watching you.

Question Weights

Originally Posted by gavriil
High intensity cardio is preferrable for people with goals of adding muscle mass as long as you try to beat your last record (either time or distance) every time you do it. Just like with lifting weights to add muscle. 16 min of cardio is enough time if it's of high intensity.

Are u saying, that if i were to lift weights. I would have to continuously keep adding more weight. In order to bulk up?

Would not, lifting the same weight everyday, build muscle?

If this is so, than it conflicts with what others have told me.

Thanks
Old 05-21-2006, 11:30 PM
We are watching you.

Exclamation Progress

You do it by slowly building intensity over a period of time. Start by doing what you can do, do it for awhile, then try to do a little more. Baby steps. Before you know it, you'll be amazing yourself. Especially as the weight continues to fall off.

Keep us apprised of your progress.

I'm not sure, if you would consider this progress or not. But, i have been on a 1700cal. diet for about 3 weeks, I've also have done my HIIT for 10 minutes a day.
I also forgot to mention, that i do the 10 minutes HIIT, 3 times a day.

I ordered a scale that weighs up to 400lbs, which was probably the single most depressing event in my life. As, i looked in all the magazines and all they ever sold were 330 or less capacity scales. SO, i had to order the "livestock" scale, lol. Anyway, getting back to my "progress". I (and I'm sure you probably don't wish to hear this, lol) looked in the mirror naked and i noticed a HUGE difference in my thighs and back. As soon as the scale gets here, I'll share my weekly results.

Though, something has bothered me. I can't do anything, and my heart not feel like it is on acid. For example, i have always like to swim, and i went swimming, and my heart (that has never before), felt pulsy and shuttering, like it was sooooooooooooo tired.

And also, i have no doubt in my mind, that i will lose this weight. The 140lbs in a year was just to give me something to work with. I will lose this weight. Even if it takes me 2 years, or even 4. As i am officially TIRED.

Thanks SO much for your advice and support, please keep it coming. It really helps me.
Old 05-22-2006, 12:42 AM
Suzuka Master

Why the red text master p?
Old 05-22-2006, 01:59 AM
We are watching you.

Smile

Originally Posted by SpeedyV6
Why the red text master p?

No reason. I just like red.

If it bothers you, I can stop.

Thanks
Old 05-22-2006, 11:20 AM
Suzuka Master

No, it's just that some people use red text to convey sarcasm. I couldn't detect any sarcasm in your posts so I was a little puzzled.
Old 05-22-2006, 01:10 PM
Have camera, will travel

I'm not sure, if you would consider this progress or not. But, i have been on a 1700cal. diet for about 3 weeks, I've also have done my HIIT for 10 minutes a day.
I also forgot to mention, that i do the 10 minutes HIIT, 3 times a day.

I ordered a scale that weighs up to 400lbs, which was probably the single most depressing event in my life. As, i looked in all the magazines and all they ever sold were 330 or less capacity scales. SO, i had to order the "livestock" scale, lol. Anyway, getting back to my "progress". I (and I'm sure you probably don't wish to hear this, lol) looked in the mirror naked and i noticed a HUGE difference in my thighs and back. As soon as the scale gets here, I'll share my weekly results.

Though, something has bothered me. I can't do anything, and my heart not feel like it is on acid. For example, i have always like to swim, and i went swimming, and my heart (that has never before), felt pulsy and shuttering, like it was sooooooooooooo tired.

And also, i have no doubt in my mind, that i will lose this weight. The 140lbs in a year was just to give me something to work with. I will lose this weight. Even if it takes me 2 years, or even 4. As i am officially TIRED.

Thanks SO much for your advice and support, please keep it coming. It really helps me.
Good job! Again, stick with it. The results will come. Remember, though, if you feel short of breath, dizzy or your heart feels "pulsy," stop what you're doing. You want to push, but given the condition you were in when you started, take it slow and steady.

I'm also assuming you've been checked out by your doctor to insure you don't have any underlying problems. If you haven't done this, you should.

As to your question about weight training, there's a reason it's called "progressive resistance training." As the name suggests, the idea is that you continually try to do more than you did before, all the while maintaining proper form and technique. You can do what you said, stay with the same weight all the time, because any excercise is better than none at all. But, really, that defeats the purpose of doing it in the first place. If you're going to go to all the trouble with this tremendous undertaking, you may as do it the right way, and that means always trying to do more than before, WHILE MAINTAINING PROPER FORM.

One very important benefit of weight lifting while trying to lose weight, is that it helps to preserve precious muscle mass, that could otherwise be lost.

Keep going. I like your positve mindset. It will carry you through. If you fall down, get back up again. I think you're going to find that the weight will fall off initially, as your body tries to normalize itself.

Keep the progress reports coming. Read here for a lot of excellent info to help you reach your goal.
Old 05-24-2006, 08:22 PM
Drifting

I have recently changed my cardio to 10 minutes on four different machines. Eliptical, new wave machine(like rollerbladding), stairmaster, and bike. I was doing just the eliptical for the longest time but got bored and Im thinking this is better. But someone mentioned breaking up the times are bad?? whats the deal. Is what im doing pointless??
Old 05-24-2006, 08:35 PM
I shoot people

Received 2,885 Likes on 1,431 Posts
Originally Posted by Rodney
But someone mentioned breaking up the times are bad?? whats the deal. Is what im doing pointless??
...what I meant by that was... don't do (say, for example) 10 minutes of one... then go to the water fountain get a sip, find a magazine, flirt with someone, then get back on another cardio machine, do another 10 minutes, get off, go out to the car, get your iPod, come back, do another 10 minutes... etc. etc... I have clients, for some (lame) reason, must "break it up" and will do 25 minutes in the moring then do another 20 at night. I have this belief that you really don't want the heart rate to drop... you wanna keep it in a certain "window" or "zone" for the duration of the cardio session.

...what you're doing is fine as long as your not letting the heart rate drop between cardio machines... (sometimes you have to wait for others to get off, try avoiding that)

Last edited by is300eater; 05-24-2006 at 08:37 PM.
Old 05-24-2006, 10:16 PM
Suzuka Master

How exactly does one define high/medium/low intensity cardio?
Old 05-25-2006, 12:30 AM
Racer

I usually do 45 minutes of low intensity on my treadmill in the morning when i wake up by putting my treadmill on full incline on my off days of lifting. To supplement it I play about two hours of basketball at least 4 days a week.
Old 05-27-2006, 11:46 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Are u saying, that if i were to lift weights. I would have to continuously keep adding more weight. In order to bulk up?

Would not, lifting the same weight everyday, build muscle?

If this is so, than it conflicts with what others have told me.

Thanks
Ultimate muscle growth (with respect to rate of change = derivative) is achieved (as far as stimulation is concerned) with:

1. Overload and
2. High Intenisty

Balancing the above two correctly yileds maximum muscle growth.

However, if one has reached a new level of lifting in a particular exercise, say benchpressing, say you just lifted 200 pounds for the first time 4 times, it will take some time before you add 5 more pounds. Muscle will continue growing during that time, although you continue to lift 200 pounds four times only because muscle growth happens naturally very slowly. And the more trained one is, the slower it happens.

However, for the trend (of muscle growth) to continue, one has to reach overload with high intesity every time you lift during the 1 or 2 overload sets per exercise. Overload + Intenisty = trying to beat your previous record with respect to new, higher total weight lifts. Always between the four to six rep limit.
Old 05-28-2006, 04:20 PM
We are watching you.

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by gavriil
Ultimate muscle growth (with respect to rate of change = derivative) is achieved (as far as stimulation is concerned) with:

1. Overload and
2. High Intenisty

Balancing the above two correctly yileds maximum muscle growth.

However, if one has reached a new level of lifting in a particular exercise, say benchpressing, say you just lifted 200 pounds for the first time 4 times, it will take some time before you add 5 more pounds. Muscle will continue growing during that time, although you continue to lift 200 pounds four times only because muscle growth happens naturally very slowly. And the more trained one is, However, for the trend (of muscle growth) to continue, one has to reach overload with high intesity every time you lift during the 1 or 2 overload sets per exercise. Overload + Intenisty = trying to beat your previous record with respect to new, higher total weight lifts. Always between the four to six rep limit.

Well, my biggest concern is my stomach. I am rather tall and to tell the truth my stomach is the only really big part about me. I'm trying to do things now, so i won't have access skin, when i do lose the weigh. I figured lifting weighs and such would help me get rid of the access skin faster and totally.

Thanks
Old 05-30-2006, 01:03 PM
Have camera, will travel

Expressed as a percentage of ones VO2 max, or maximum oxygen uptake. This cannot be accurately measured outside of laboratory conditions, but this is technically the correct way to define intensity in cardiovascular training for a given individual. For said given individual, the VO2 max is the ceiling, or limit, of that persons aerobic capacity. As such, it is used to quantify how aerobically fit someone is.

Outside of this, you largely have to rely on the subjectivity of how a particular excercise or excercise session feels.
Old 05-30-2006, 03:16 PM
We are watching you.

Smile 371.4

Well, incase anyone wanted to know, my scale just arrived.

And my results are, '371.4 pounds'.

Next week I will weigh again. And post my results.

Thanks
Old 06-05-2006, 04:54 PM
Moderator Alumnus

The quick way to figure this out is to use number of heartbeats per minute while taking into consideration one's age. It's a good ballpark number, however for more accurate results every one of us has different tolerances with regard to the above. And for that to be IDed on a personal level, various tests must be performed within a well equipped lab.
Old 06-06-2006, 12:20 PM
We are watching you.

Smile Results

Well, incase anyone wanted to know, my scale just arrived.

And my results are, '371.4 pounds'.

Next week I will weigh again. And post my results.

Thanks

I am weighing myself every Tuesday, and my results on the scale are.

"365.7" lbs.

Just in case anyone was in interested.

Thanks
Old 06-06-2006, 01:00 PM
Have camera, will travel

I am weighing myself every Tuesday, and my results on the scale are.

"365.7" lbs.

Just in case anyone was in interested.

Thanks
That's great. What did you start at?
Old 06-06-2006, 03:26 PM
We are watching you.

That's great. What did you start at?

I always told myself, i would never get to 400 lbs.

I weighted myself 1 1/2 months ago.

And i weighed 394lbs. Now i weigh 365.7lbs

I will get to 185lbs. Or die trying.

Thanks

Quick Reply: HIIT vs Low intensity cardio?