Health & Fitness You're fat. Get skinny…

HEY EVERYONE! LOOK AT MY TRICEP!

Old 03-17-2006, 01:08 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That's the problem, I just can't eat that much in one day. When i was drinking protein shakes I was forcing them down and contantly full. And that just made me sick of them.
Old 03-17-2006, 01:18 PM
Luke 1:37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 03-17-2006, 06:14 PM
It's Major. Boy.

Originally Posted by danny25
That's the problem, I just can't eat that much in one day. When i was drinking protein shakes I was forcing them down and contantly full. And that just made me sick of them.

Did you do any form of training (cardio, weights, both, etc.)?
Old 03-17-2006, 07:49 PM
Suzuka Master

yeah, I lift. No cardio because I'm skinny enough, just trying to get big.
Old 03-17-2006, 09:04 PM
It's Major. Boy.

Originally Posted by danny25
yeah, I lift. No cardio because I'm skinny enough, just trying to get big.

I think you can start out with 4 meals planned evenly throughout the day. Build up to it. You have to allow time for your body to adjust to the amount of food you eat. Also, look for food that is high protein to size ratio.

If you are consuming enough protein, you don't have to worry about muscle loss by doing cardio. Cardio will keep your body fat down as you build lean mass and it will help increase your metabolism. It'll also keep your heart in shape. 15-20 minutes of moderate cardio in the morning should do the trick.

What is your body weight? Most people consume 1-1.5 grams of protein per pound of body weight.
Old 03-18-2006, 08:41 AM
'99 Acura 3.2TL

I think there's a point when you gotta stop trying to get bigger and just concentrate on taking care of what u got...

for example, r0dxx's triceps/arms are just the right size/look, imo... anything over that (RMATIC09) is just too much, imo (no offense here.. just my )

i dont think it looks very good when you see all the muscles and shit... with big bumps and when your arms are like as big as your head... definitly not my thing..

i've been workin out for about 2 years now and I saw a lot of changes and that's definitly helping me as far as motivation goes... it's nice to see that all the good work is rewarding. however, since i lost a lot of weight (50 lbs), i've always been scared of gaining it back... so i might not be eating enough to get bigger... im so scared of gaining the weight back...

I would even like to lose some more weight (current upper-body fat percentage is around 11-12%)... but that can't really be done at the same time as getting bigger... cuz to lose weight you gotta cut on the calories intake, but to get bigger you have to eat more... i know it can be done but it's very hard...

Since i lost all that weight, i've had some "loose" skin on my belly.. not like it hangs down and shit... but just "thick" skin that makes having a 6 pack like impossible

i'd like to get leaner but I dont know what to do anymore... i've been eating pretty good and all that... the only thing I see that could definitly help is cuttin on beer... but that's like impossible

any suggestions people?

Last edited by @cUr@-TL; 03-18-2006 at 08:44 AM.
Old 03-18-2006, 11:18 AM
Race Director

acura-tL , a good way to shed some fat off, and gain muscle, is to lift with high intensity. lift heavy, lift hard, lift properly, and EAT HEALTHY.

throw in some light cardio, and your body fat will drop. Although you may not be losing weight on the scale, chances are you will be gaining, you will be fighting off the bodyfat.

keep your diet in check. Its the number 1 answer to fat loss.

And i take no offense,my arms are genetically large , but im very well balanced.
Old 03-18-2006, 02:58 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by roughrider

What is your body weight? Most people consume 1-1.5 grams of protein per pound of body weight.
I'm 6'3", 185. I'd like to get up to at least 200, but it's slow going. I don't have a big frame, so it's hard packing on the muscle. Maybe I'll just try the protein shakes again but start slow. Even one protein shake a day is better than I'm doing now I guess.
Old 03-18-2006, 11:44 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
Originally Posted by roughrider
I also don't drink. My friend doesn't either. I think some young people realize that alcohol is not part of a healthy diet or lifestyle.
That is key. I did a health study for some research project at UC Davis Medical after I graduated and one thing that killed my nutrition was the amount that I drink. I've cut back quite a bit (from 3-4 nights with more than one drink to about 1, maybe 2 nights a week). And on those nights when I do drink I usually train hard. I dont lift weights or anything but do a lot of running and biking.

I couldnt figure out why I started to put on weight when I went to college. I kept up my exersize enough to the point where I didnt expect any loss, and my diet remained the same. Alcohol adds so many calories and I didnt realize that until quite a bit later.
Old 03-19-2006, 12:16 AM
giggity giggity giggity

Originally Posted by subinf
That is key. I did a health study for some research project at UC Davis Medical after I graduated and one thing that killed my nutrition was the amount that I drink. I've cut back quite a bit (from 3-4 nights with more than one drink to about 1, maybe 2 nights a week). And on those nights when I do drink I usually train hard. I dont lift weights or anything but do a lot of running and biking.

I couldnt figure out why I started to put on weight when I went to college. I kept up my exersize enough to the point where I didnt expect any loss, and my diet remained the same. Alcohol adds so many calories and I didnt realize that until quite a bit later.
Isn't alcohol's calories considered "empty calories" too? Meaning they give you really nothing more then a little energy?
Old 03-19-2006, 08:30 AM
Race Director

I woudlent even say it gives you a little energy, if anything the opposite. It dehydrates your body.

Drinking just does not mix well with weight loss/muscle gain , of course moderation is key, no one wants to be a hermit, but doing anything excessively is no good.
Old 03-19-2006, 02:19 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
Originally Posted by HQuakers
Isn't alcohol's calories considered "empty calories" too? Meaning they give you really nothing more then a little energy?

yeah empty calories is what i meant.
Old 03-19-2006, 10:04 PM
'99 Acura 3.2TL

Originally Posted by RMATIC09
acura-tL , a good way to shed some fat off, and gain muscle, is to lift with high intensity. lift heavy, lift hard, lift properly, and EAT HEALTHY.

throw in some light cardio, and your body fat will drop. Although you may not be losing weight on the scale, chances are you will be gaining, you will be fighting off the bodyfat.

keep your diet in check. Its the number 1 answer to fat loss.

And i take no offense,my arms are genetically large , but im very well balanced.

thank you for the tip... so you're sayin in order to get more "fit", i should lift heavier weights (with fewer reps i guess) ?

would it be good for me to switch workouts every week... like on week 1 work on endurance (many reps, lighter weights) and then on week 2, go heavy with less reps?

oh btw, everything i read about alcohol & bodybuilding all comes down to the same thing... alcohol turns into fat if it's not burnt off right away!
Old 03-20-2006, 12:12 PM
John Starks - The Dunk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yeah....alcohol doesn't do anything positive for your body. I am no model for a health ad, but like rmatic said about moderation is definitely true.

Good job for the guys that posted pics. keep up the good work......all the gay flaming is all BS.
Old 03-20-2006, 12:43 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by @cUr@-TL
thank you for the tip... so you're sayin in order to get more "fit", i should lift heavier weights (with fewer reps i guess) ?

would it be good for me to switch workouts every week... like on week 1 work on endurance (many reps, lighter weights) and then on week 2, go heavy with less reps?

oh btw, everything i read about alcohol & bodybuilding all comes down to the same thing... alcohol turns into fat if it's not burnt off right away!

switching workouts is a good idea on account that it prevents your body from becoming accustomed to any one workout. Our bodies are extremely adapative and constantly doing the same things will hinder gains.

That sounds like a good plan for you, just so long as your lifting with proper intensity. many people claim that higher reps will burn more fat, and lower reps will just make you larger, but keep in mind, more muscle = faster metabolism= less bodyfat.

A simple solution is to mix both.

I am an advocate of heavier movements, and compound lifts, but i also work with higher reps as muscle endurance is very important, and higher reps will get your heart rate up, and although may not be optimal for muscle growth, is very good for shedding fat.
Old 03-20-2006, 04:30 PM
'99 Acura 3.2TL

Originally Posted by RMATIC09
switching workouts is a good idea on account that it prevents your body from becoming accustomed to any one workout. Our bodies are extremely adapative and constantly doing the same things will hinder gains.

That sounds like a good plan for you, just so long as your lifting with proper intensity. many people claim that higher reps will burn more fat, and lower reps will just make you larger, but keep in mind, more muscle = faster metabolism= less bodyfat.

A simple solution is to mix both.

I am an advocate of heavier movements, and compound lifts, but i also work with higher reps as muscle endurance is very important, and higher reps will get your heart rate up, and although may not be optimal for muscle growth, is very good for shedding fat.
thank you very much man i appreciate it.. i found myself really getting into that whole fitness/health thing... always reading about it and trying to improve my lifestyle! it's really fun once you'Re really into it and learn all the stuff (and God knows there's A LOT to learn!)
Old 03-20-2006, 05:13 PM
Mobile on demand Agent

Cool

Originally Posted by youngTL
??

Do you have any idea what you're talking about? I work out with my friend Tina, and when she shows me her muscles, I'm not getting excited by it at all. It's more like a work of art. That's the same way that straight guys should view another guy whose body is a work of art.

And since when are gay or lesbian people narcissistic? I don't know any lesbians that are. Some gay guys are perceived as such because we have the body image culture forced upon us by our peers. Everything is about who can look the hottest, and that causes us to spend a little more time making sure we look as good as we can because the competition is tough. You're lucky. There's always more women around. But the supply of gay men is limited, and the best ones always get taken first. So excuse me for wanting to stay competitive.

I'm pretty sure that r0dxx and RMATIC aren't fantasizing about other guys. I'm getting pissed off at this attitude that girls should take their clothes off and guys should keep them on. From a non-sexual perspective, a man and woman's bodies are equally nice, but in different ways. Please respect that.

Hey YoungTL, are you sure you're 22yo man? I have great respect for you thru many of your posts on AZ here bro. VERY WELL SAID. That's all.
Old 03-21-2006, 10:13 AM
Race Director

Originally Posted by @cUr@-TL
thank you very much man i appreciate it.. i found myself really getting into that whole fitness/health thing... always reading about it and trying to improve my lifestyle! it's really fun once you'Re really into it and learn all the stuff (and God knows there's A LOT to learn!)

there is alot to learn, but theres also a wealth of sources to gain knowledge from.

I am also studying this in college.

I will tell you this though, once you do stay consitent in a healthy life style, you will feel like a new person, and will feel ALOT better ALL the time.