Health & Fitness You're fat. Get skinny…
View Poll Results: Gym Preference
Gold's Gym
21.28%
24 Hour Fitness
21.28%
Bally Total Fitness
6.38%
LA Fitness
19.15%
Other
31.91%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Gym Preference?

Old 01-26-2009, 10:07 PM
Team Owner

Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts
Gym Preference?

I'm going to enroll back in a gym soon. I used to have a membership with Gold's, but I was able to cancel it once I moved (the one I had was franchised?? and I could only use my membership at the couple of Gold's around my area, not anywhere in the country)

What is your favorite gym/gym of preference assuming you have been to more than one.

I'll probably go back to Gold's.
Who does everyone else like?
Old 01-26-2009, 10:14 PM
Above n Beyond

Received 132 Likes on 50 Posts
I work out at a private club. The youngest one in there is me. Crowded is 10 people and they have all of the weights I need.

Now if you're talking about eye candy, Xsport is the way to go!
Old 01-26-2009, 10:19 PM
Team Owner

Just looked them up.
That's gym is....well,
Old 01-26-2009, 10:29 PM
Above n Beyond

Received 132 Likes on 50 Posts
Not sure which way you mean that expression but all the Xsports by me are fully of orange faced, anorexic skinny chicks who wear makeup to get attention.
Old 01-26-2009, 10:46 PM
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thats like equinox...
Old 01-26-2009, 10:47 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
I usually work out at a private club - it never has more than one or two people there (although I generally work out either really really early or late at night, and my town only has 14k people in it)

I joined golds also because i like the amount of machines they have. Golds is cheap as shit so its nice to have that option.
Old 01-26-2009, 10:52 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
I voted 24 because that's where I go, and I believe it's the most convenient, because of it's many locations.
Old 01-27-2009, 10:54 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts
i work out at home and take martial arts classes
Old 01-27-2009, 10:57 AM
Moto Enthusiast

I used to be a member of Gold's, but I'm now enrolled with 24 hr. I don't really like gyms in general, but I view them as a necessary evil because i wouldn't do anything at home otherwise.

Anyhow, I hate how crowded it gets at 24 hr fitness, but I do like the convenience of their multiple locations. There's one near my job and one near my house. I also like the fact that most of them are the Sport levels, so they have a pool and basketball court.

Oh yeah, don't just walk into 24 hr and hope you get a good deal. Their associates are like used car salesmen and all fees are negotiable, so be prepared to haggle. Either that or go to Costco and get a prepaid 2 year membership for $299.
Old 01-27-2009, 10:57 AM
Go Giants

Received 1,233 Likes on 823 Posts
Do you have Sportsclubs?
Old 01-27-2009, 11:53 AM
Drive FAst and Swirve

I go to Lifetime Fitness, awesome equipment, everything you could possibly want/need. Alot of extras that you might not need, a little pricey I think but right next to the house and the office, so convenience plays a big role. Definately ALOT of hot soccer moms. At times though they do get annoying just standing around crowding the weights/machines you need to use.
Old 01-27-2009, 11:58 AM
Safety Car

Received 111 Likes on 79 Posts
did NYSC, but it was too guido. that says a lot considering im 100% italian.

i changed over to my building's gym. its not too bad. indoor bball court and all the machines you need. plus, whenever i meet a girl in the gym, i already know she lives in the bldg. now thats half of the battle.
Old 01-27-2009, 12:30 PM
Q('.')=O

Received 720 Likes on 520 Posts
First membership was at 24... had everything as far as machine/equipment, but as soon as I signed up its like they didn't give a fuck about you.

Second membership was at a local place that was cheap and also had everything I needed but at that time I stopped working with weights.

Now I want to slowly get back into it just to tone up. Am going to do a 3 day free trial at LA Fitness since it is closest to me and all I don't need much stuff anyways. Anyone been to LA Fitness?
Old 01-27-2009, 12:41 PM
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Three are four gyms within about 10 minutes from my house - Bally's, 24 Hr Fitness, LA Fitness and the one I go to, the Hawthorn Farm Athletic club.

The one I go is the best of the four. A little higher in price, but usually not crowded, lots of equipment, and a nice facility that's family-friendly.

I hate it that it's been crowded lately. Lots of people that are trying to make good on their New Year resolutions, but I'm sure, as in years past, they'll stop coming by March.
Old 01-27-2009, 01:47 PM
Safety Car

Received 111 Likes on 79 Posts
Hear good things about Dophin gym. cheap as hell. my bro started going to the one in the L.E.S. NYC and regularly sees Padma from Top Chef there. SO HOT.
Old 01-27-2009, 04:22 PM
KICKED IN THE BALLS

I got to LA fitness because most of them have a basketball court and I hate running on the treadmill so I play ball instead for my cardio. Equipment is alright there just like anywhere else.
Old 01-27-2009, 04:42 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
Originally Posted by bonknhead
Three are four gyms within about 10 minutes from my house - Bally's, 24 Hr Fitness, LA Fitness and the one I go to, the Hawthorn Farm Athletic club.

The one I go is the best of the four. A little higher in price, but usually not crowded, lots of equipment, and a nice facility that's family-friendly.

I hate it that it's been crowded lately. Lots of people that are trying to make good on their New Year resolutions, but I'm sure, as in years past, they'll stop coming by March.
That is a nice gym. I've heard lots of good things about it.
Old 01-27-2009, 07:22 PM
Pro

i work out at golds on my days off, but i have a bran new very nice gym at my firehouse i get to use for free when i work..infact i'm getting paid!!!
Old 01-27-2009, 10:09 PM
Q('.')=O

I started a free 3 day trial at LA Fitness today. As soon as I went there the guy was trying to get me sign up. I was like 'I want to work out a few days and trying everything out' and he brushed it aside and took me for a tour and at the end of it he again asked "what would it take for you to sign up today" and I was like "nothing. no offense but I'm not signing anything today. I haven't even worked out here". The dumbfuck wanted me to sign up before I even tried the place out. Then he goes on about how it is the most popular gym in the area and tells me that they have this "special" (BULLSHIT LOL) that is ending Thursday and that on Thursday they will have hundreds of people come in and sign up on that day (LOL) because you save "$10" per month and I literally let his bullshit go right over my head. The "special" he said was $199 sign up fee and then $40 a month. Excuse me? Fuck that shit! My previous gym was personally owned and had no sign up fee and $23 a month! What a dipshit, no fucking way am I paying that. I will still check out 24 hr and if that fails I will just use my little apt gym area lol.

Anyways, my review of the gym: Besides the salespeople trying to sell their soul for commission, the place is actually pretty good. Nice and spacious, lots of brand new machines and benches/free weights. Had a few raquetball courts, aerobics/yoga room, cycling class room, pretty big saltwater heated pool. The bathrooms were nice and spacious and they have plenty of showers and shitters and have a sauna. Also what I liked was upstairs they had tons of cardio equipment... ellipticals, stairclimbers, treadmills, and shit I've never seen before. Only thing is there weren't many hot women there :/ But otherwise, I had a great workout and look forward to going there tomorrow to use my free pass then never go back.
Old 01-28-2009, 12:05 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
I have a membership at 24 hour fitness but haven't gone in a year. I prefer the freeweights (squat rack, bench rack, etc) at my parent's house. I got the 24 membership only because I used to work on the road a lot and they have gyms everywhere. It is fun sometime to go there and do squats and deadlifts and the meatheads look at me like they have never seen anyone do legs before. We have so many roided out people with huge upper bodies and tiny legs it's funny. I've actually watched a guy that could bench more than he could squat.

IMO, Golds is not what it used to be, it's just like 24 hour, as is Fitness 19, and all of the others.

There is a hole in the wall gym downtown here that costs a dollar each time, no memberships. Most members are boxers and MMA people, as well as true power lifters. It's my type of crowd. No machines, just tons of freeweights. If it weren't so far from my house, I would go there.
Old 01-28-2009, 05:45 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
I use a mix of machines and freeweights and currently I go to Bally's. I like it because they actually have A/C, the two 24 hr. fitness's that I've been too were stuffy as hell and smelled like old gym socks every time I went into it. But Bally's is expensive even though I got a "deal" through somebody my cousin knew. My next gym will probably be 24, or a smaller, cheaper one.
Old 01-28-2009, 08:29 AM
Q('.')=O

Originally Posted by I hate cars
...We have so many roided out people with huge upper bodies and tiny legs it's funny. I've actually watched a guy that could bench more than he could squat...
hey hey hey... i have a slightly bigger upper body than my skinny legs, but that is because i have had skinny legs my whole life. then in college i only worked out my upper body (no roids, ew) and it was definitely noticeable, and not cool with me (btw back then i definitely could bench more than i could squat lol). now i run a helluva lot and do only pushups/pullups and it looks much more proportionate ... smaller upper body, same lower body. lol.
Old 01-28-2009, 09:24 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,307 Likes on 960 Posts
Started off in my garage in high school. Then used their gym. Went to a local gym for a few years. Quit and years later had to go to Bally's. Once the contract ran out did another local but it had cardio boxing and a MMA section. Now I'm home again.

I got great workouts at the boxing/MMA gyms but would have had to pay $50/mo since ownership changed plus they closed early and I have 2 kids. I get great workouts at home for free. Only cost was cheap stuff via Craigslist. Open 24 hours.

Hated Bally's. Always packed. Equipment was not that great. Didn't have enough equipment. Glad I left. Still send me renewals for like $100/yr which is cheap but a waste IMO.
Old 01-30-2009, 09:18 AM
Q('.')=O

Well I just got a membership to LA Fitness, but was smart about it. I added myself to my buddy's family plan so I paid no initiation cost and only $30 a month . Good deal if you ask me. Plus the place is 3 miles from my apt and has all I need.
Old 01-31-2009, 02:47 PM
Burning Brakes

If I could find a Bally's that's bigger than my closet I'd workout there. I work out at LA Fitness and the facility is huge. Been there 4yrs now
Old 01-31-2009, 03:40 PM
I shoot people

Received 2,872 Likes on 1,429 Posts
I voted Gold's because that's what I prefer... but mostly because that's what I practically grew up of.... But there aren't really any near me now... so

the problem with Gold's is that they are headed the "24Hour Fitness" route... because that's where the money's at... Women are still intimidated by that "Gold's Gym" -warehouse atmosphere.... back in the 80's you often find gyms where women's locker rooms where a lot smaller than men's ... simply because it wasn't necessary... Today, women account for 52% of enrollments. That's a huge chunk of the business...

Personal training is a HUGE part of a gym's business... most clients are women.
Old 01-31-2009, 03:43 PM
I shoot people

oh, btw... I'm currently visiting Vancouver BC... (a 2 weeks visit), and got myself a 2 weeks membership at Steve Nash's Sport Club in Downtown... AWESOME facility!!!
Old 02-06-2009, 01:38 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 113 Likes on 78 Posts
Originally Posted by paz840
i work out at home and take martial arts classes
I was already faded from a full day at work yesterday. Then hit the dojo for 1 hour muay thai with thigh pads and then 1 hour circuit training with 1 minute rounds of sparring (rotating opponents after each round). At the end of circuit i was so tired i was having trouble throwing jabs lolz. At least i could hold my hands up so i wasn't eating roundhouse kicks to my noggin.
Old 02-09-2009, 10:35 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by UNCTYPE-S
I work out at a private club. The youngest one in there is me. Crowded is 10 people and they have all of the weights I need.

Now if you're talking about eye candy, Xsport is the way to go!

Xsport for the win. I work out at the Xsport on Butterfield in Downers Grove. Lots and lots of eye candy.
Old 02-09-2009, 10:37 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by is300eater
oh, btw... I'm currently visiting Vancouver BC... (a 2 weeks visit), and got myself a 2 weeks membership at Steve Nash's Sport Club in Downtown... AWESOME facility!!!
I got to check that place out when I visit back home this coming March. You going to love Vancouver man!
Old 02-09-2009, 10:42 AM
The Third Ball

Received 4,852 Likes on 2,589 Posts
Originally Posted by RMATIC09
thats like equinox...
My friend goes to the in Santa Monica. I tried it out with a free pass. Its nice and all...but maybe tooooo nice. And they dont have a lot of the same gear you're used to seeing at most gyms.

Eye candy is a definite yes, but a great work out....not for me.

I have used 24 hour fitness for the last 7 years. I also have a small private gym located in my community as part of my HoA that is good for certain things.

I had golds in college and ended with a bad experience. So, I'll never use them again.
Old 02-09-2009, 01:04 PM
Have camera, will travel

I voted LA Fitness, but all gyms have sucky aspects, IMO. I was a member of Bally's for about 16 years, but it got to the point where the place was practically falling apart. They refused to upgrade equipment and kept trying to ratchet up the dues every year.

A brand new LA Fitness opened up in FW, so I checked it out and it was a nice club. I joined because it was new and had comprehensive facilites, and all the equipment was right out of the box.

That said, it's more expensive than Bally's, but you lock in the monthly rate when you join, so it supposedly never goes up after that. Their customer service pretty much sucks, like most clubs, and they have that turn and burn mentality. Try to shoehorn as many people as possible in there, but all clubs are like that.

I would suggest checking out several clubs in your area and looking closely at the facilites. Is the gear in good shape? Are the locker rooms nasty or well maintained? How are the dues compared to other gyms in the area? Also, go when you would usually work out and see how crowded it is. That can make a big difference.

Forget the name and choose based on that and you should be fine.

Last edited by waTSX; 02-09-2009 at 01:07 PM.
Old 02-09-2009, 01:12 PM
Q('.')=O

Originally Posted by waTSX
I voted LA Fitness, but all gyms have sucky aspects, IMO. I was a member of Bally's for about 16 years, but it got to the point where the place was practically falling apart. They refused to upgrade equipment and kept trying to ratchet up the dues every year.

A brand new LA Fitness opened up in FW, so I checked it out and it was a nice club. I joined because it was new and had comprehensive facilites, and all the equipment was right out of the box.

That said, it's more expensive than Bally's, but you lock in the monthly rate when you join, so it supposedly never goes up after that. Their customer service pretty much sucks, like most clubs, and they have that turn and burn mentality. Try to shoehorn as many people as possible in there, but all clubs are like that.

I would suggest checking out several clubs in your area and looking closely at the facilites. Is the gear in good shape? Are the locker rooms nasty or well maintained? How are the dues compared to other gyms in the area? Forget the name and choose based on that and you should be fine.
and

When I first signed up this guy was trying to sell me a bunch of bullshit. I eventually added myself to my friend's family plan so I didn't have to pay a sign up fee and pay only $29.99 a month.

I wanted to set it up so it would bill my portion from my checking account (because the 2 other people on his family plan all have it set up that way) but this guy was telling me that it is automatically billed from the primary account owner's account and I'd have to pay $75 just to get it changed to bill to my account!!! What a fucking rip off! But I also knew he must have been full of shit. $75 just to change an account in a computer which takes 30 seconds?

So I went to the club a day later and talked to the girl at the front desk and she was really nice (only really nice one there that I've met lol) and said yea no problem doing that and she did it in 1 minute. That guy was really trying to rip me off... fking asshole.

Other than that, I like the gym. All new equipment (and lots of it), spacious, nice locker rooms, close to home, and some good ass there. The only drawback is that the personal trainers are fucking TOOLS. Omg so funny to watch some of them sometimes... always staring at the jailbait and tryign to start up convos with them but the girls walking away and all of them think they are hardasses...

Last edited by imj0257; 02-09-2009 at 01:14 PM.
Old 02-09-2009, 01:15 PM
Team Owner

Where did you say you signed up imj?
Old 02-09-2009, 01:27 PM
Q('.')=O

LA Fitness near that Lincoln Town Center.
Old 02-09-2009, 01:30 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by imj0257
LA Fitness near that Lincoln Town Center.
What were they quoting you if you were just to sign up by yourself?
Old 02-09-2009, 01:55 PM
Q('.')=O

Well the prices can change every day or week...

Initially he told me it would cost me $199 sign up fee and $30 a month and at that point I was thinking absolutely no fucking way. (They are going to try to get you for all they can cus they obviously want to earn more commission off of you). Later on he says 'let me check my computer' and what do you know.. there are all these MUCH cheaper deals. The cheapest one I saw I believe was $45 sign up fee and $35 a month. Generally, from what I remember, the higher the sign up fee the lower the monthly payment and vice versa. But then again, they always have deals going on so really it's best to go in person and ask him to show you the computer screen so you can see for yourself (he let me see).
Old 02-10-2009, 10:25 AM
Have camera, will travel

and

When I first signed up this guy was trying to sell me a bunch of bullshit. I eventually added myself to my friend's family plan so I didn't have to pay a sign up fee and pay only $29.99 a month.

I wanted to set it up so it would bill my portion from my checking account (because the 2 other people on his family plan all have it set up that way) but this guy was telling me that it is automatically billed from the primary account owner's account and I'd have to pay $75 just to get it changed to bill to my account!!! What a fucking rip off! But I also knew he must have been full of shit. $75 just to change an account in a computer which takes 30 seconds?

So I went to the club a day later and talked to the girl at the front desk and she was really nice (only really nice one there that I've met lol) and said yea no problem doing that and she did it in 1 minute. That guy was really trying to rip me off... fking asshole.

Other than that, I like the gym. All new equipment (and lots of it), spacious, nice locker rooms, close to home, and some good ass there. The only drawback is that the personal trainers are fucking TOOLS. Omg so funny to watch some of them sometimes... always staring at the jailbait and tryign to start up convos with them but the girls walking away and all of them think they are hardasses...
They must be that way everywhere, because they are exactly the same way here. Those guys crack me up.
Old 02-10-2009, 11:17 AM
I shoot people

The only drawback is that the personal trainers are fucking TOOLS. Omg so funny to watch some of them sometimes... always staring at the jailbait and tryign to start up convos with them but the girls walking away and all of them think they are hardasses...
Originally Posted by waTSX
They must be that way everywhere, because they are exactly the same way here. Those guys crack me up.
I guess I can testify to that... I DON'T do that... but I work with other trainers that do... There's this guy at my work... I have to admit... he's a good lookin' guy, and YES everytime I see him... he's flirting with a member... but the thing is... He actually pulls it off I just hate it when I have a cute client... he starts eyeballing her across the room, And of course makes his way over... it's annoying.
Old 02-10-2009, 11:41 AM
Q('.')=O

^ haha.

But most of these guys are really out of shape. If I wanted a personal trainer, I'd want someone who was in shape because that way I know they are serious about taking care of themselves and know what they are doing. 75% of these guys look like they eat Mcdonalds 3 times a day and don't even work out themselves. It is ridiculous. IMO I wouldn't want someone who was 5'5" 250 telling me what I would need to do to get my body in shape lol.

Oh oh and there is this one chick with an amazing ass but she looks like 17 or so but anyways I was glancing at her yesterday (I'm upstairs on treadmill looking down; hey, not much to look at running in place other than scoping the place out) and this one douche trainer walks up to her and throws up his hand to give her a high five and she looks at him and turns around totally ignoring him and he puts his hand down . Sometimes I just like watching what the trainers do to see what fail will come next...

Quick Reply: Gym Preference?