Health & Fitness You're fat. Get skinny…

Gloves while you are working out??

Old 05-24-2006, 08:19 PM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Gloves while you are working out??

I have just started getting some serious calluses on my hands from getting more serious at the gym. Im very surprised that Im getting them because all I really do is the circuit, which consists of a series of 12 machines. I have really cranked the weight up but most of them I only do like 8 reps, and some maybe 20 reps?? The trainers reccomended getting gloves but I dont see anyone else with them and don't want to look stupid. Any advice??
Old 05-24-2006, 09:16 PM
Go Giants

Received 1,236 Likes on 825 Posts
They smell...
Old 05-24-2006, 09:18 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Hasn't this been discussed before...
Old 05-24-2006, 09:18 PM
Go Giants

Received 1,236 Likes on 825 Posts
yes
Old 05-24-2006, 11:46 PM
Suzuka Master

Man up and get some calluses. Gloves, machines, and being self conscious are for wussies.
Old 05-25-2006, 12:01 AM
'Cooter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ABreece
Man up and get some calluses. Gloves, machines, and being self conscious are for wussies.
and

avoid machines at all costs unless yer morbidly obese...use dumbells for all yer exercises instead

Old 05-25-2006, 02:57 AM
That's Racist

Aside from the callouses i have baby hands. I love it.
Old 05-25-2006, 03:03 AM
Got a Job!

I sport gloves, and like it better for my grip. Doesn't matter, do whatever suits you best. Personally, I say get some.
Old 05-25-2006, 07:58 AM
Meridian

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts
I've been lifting dumbell weight I have have calluses on both hands near the upper palm, would these go away?
Old 05-25-2006, 09:07 AM
Pug
Team Camel, VP for Zaino

Latex gloves are your best bet at a public gym.
Old 05-25-2006, 09:29 AM
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I use straps because they allow you to pull more weight due to les stress on your weak finger muscles. Allows for a better workout.
Old 05-25-2006, 10:04 AM
Drive FAst and Swirve

Originally Posted by GIBSON6594

I use straps because they allow you to pull more weight due to les stress on your weak finger muscles. Allows for a better workout.
While straps do allow u to pull more weight, they weaken your grip and wrists...
Old 05-25-2006, 10:12 AM
Not Asian

wait for it...

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...ghlight=gloves
Old 05-25-2006, 10:50 AM
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by leolebo28
While straps do allow u to pull more weight, they weaken your grip and wrists...
True, some extra excersises to focus on those areas is recommended
Old 05-25-2006, 11:50 AM
Have camera, will travel

Originally Posted by Scooter
and

avoid machines at all costs unless yer morbidly obese...use dumbells for all yer exercises instead

This is Any well rounded weight training regimen will incorporate machines as well as free weights. To state otherwise is ignorant.

To the OP, gloves: don't like 'em. Let the calluses build up, then it won't be an issue. A little chalk is great for grip, but most gyms won't allow it any more. The mainstream ones at least.
Old 05-25-2006, 11:54 AM
Have camera, will travel

Originally Posted by leolebo28
Straps do not weaken your wrists. This is a load of malarkey. Don't use them unless you have to, but when doing something like heavy DL's, your grip will fail before you've properly worked the rest of you body.

Do separate excercises to strengthen your grip.
Old 05-25-2006, 11:56 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,944 Likes on 14,059 Posts
I'm man enough to admit I use workout gloves.

Have been using them since I started working out.
I'm there to work out for myself and my own health, who gives a fark what other people think? If I did, I would've quit when I first started because I could only bicep curl 10lbs. while everyone around me were lifting 25s, 30s, and up...
Old 05-25-2006, 12:02 PM
Not Asian

Originally Posted by Yumchah
I'm man enough to admit I use workout gloves.

Have been using them since I started working out.
I'm there to work out for myself and my own health, who gives a fark what other people think? If I did, I would've quit when I first started because I could only bicep curl 10lbs. while everyone around me were lifting 25s, 30s, and up...
prime example of pussiness.
Old 05-25-2006, 12:09 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by phipark
prime example of pussiness.
Riiight...coming from a Cards fan.

Gotta keep my hands nice and soft for the ladies.
Want some hand-cream?
Old 05-25-2006, 12:40 PM
Not Asian

Originally Posted by Yumchah
Gotta keep my hands nice and soft for the robots.
fixed
Old 05-25-2006, 12:44 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by phipark
fixed
That too. Cuz, you know, rough hands could scratch the finish/paint on the diecast.

Old 05-25-2006, 01:48 PM
'Cooter

Originally Posted by waTSX
This is Any well rounded weight training regimen will incorporate machines as well as free weights. To state otherwise is ignorant.
really???

http://www.askmen.com/sports/bodybui...tness_tip.html

"...While both free weights and machines have their pros and cons, free weights tend to be a better choice for almost everyone. Even beginners should try to progress to free weights as quickly as possible since they will see more noticeable improvements with this type of equipment."

do what you want
Old 05-25-2006, 02:03 PM
I

Received 58 Likes on 24 Posts
I do agree that free weights are better 80% of the time, but machines do have their place. There are a lot of exercises that are impossible to do with just free weights. I would add cables to this list.
Old 05-25-2006, 02:36 PM
Got a Job!

Free weights, machines, and cables are equally as important. Machines focus more on the individual muscle, where free weights include a number of different muscles. Free weights, in general, are technically the better bet, but I wouldn't say that you should only use free weights, as that is kind of an ignorant statement.

And as for gloves, I don't get this "pussy" bullshit. That's also another ignorant statement. That's like saying if you use gloves for baseball you're a pussy. It's for comfort, and if you like it, then good for you. If not, don't use them. It's as simple as that - Period.
Old 05-25-2006, 02:55 PM
Not Asian

Originally Posted by Dem1K
And as for gloves, I don't get this "pussy" bullshit. That's also another ignorant statement. That's like saying if you use gloves for baseball you're a pussy. It's for comfort, and if you like it, then good for you. If not, don't use them. It's as simple as that - Period.
Only a glove wearer would say that.
Old 05-25-2006, 03:00 PM
Got a Job!

lol this guy
Old 05-25-2006, 03:32 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Dem1K
lol this guy
Ignore him, he's from St. Louis.
Old 05-25-2006, 03:46 PM
contrarian in fashion

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts
i didnt wear gloves for quite a while... until my palms started to get a lil sweaty and could grip the bars anymore... since then ive been using gloves and still do.... i dont see anything wrong with them... they allow me to keep going and keep my grip so i can get my full workout... besides.. the girls that i know dont like callouses.. tough man hands good... but callouses are pretty nasty to a certain extent.. but thats just me
Old 05-25-2006, 08:51 PM
Have camera, will travel

really???

http://www.askmen.com/sports/bodybui...tness_tip.html

"...While both free weights and machines have their pros and cons, free weights tend to be a better choice for almost everyone. Even beginners should try to progress to free weights as quickly as possible since they will see more noticeable improvements with this type of equipment."

do what you want
Because askmen.com puts it on the web it must be so? Ooookay! Some movements are not practical with free weights. Pray tell how you would do heavy leg extensions with free weights? Any cable movements, lat pulls, leg curls, leg press, hack squats, etc, etc, all involve machines

I use free weights as the basis for all my workouts, but like I said in my post, a well-rounded regimen incorporates both. I was not advocating a machine-only workout. Reading comprehension is your friend.

BTW, your own link states there are drawbacks to both free weights and machines, and this is accurate. There is no perfect way to train with weights. Using both, however, covers all your bases.
Old 05-25-2006, 08:54 PM
Have camera, will travel

Originally Posted by PimpCL23
i didnt wear gloves for quite a while... until my palms started to get a lil sweaty and could grip the bars anymore... since then ive been using gloves and still do.... i dont see anything wrong with them... they allow me to keep going and keep my grip so i can get my full workout... besides.. the girls that i know dont like callouses.. tough man hands good... but callouses are pretty nasty to a certain extent.. but thats just me
To each his own, but most guys I know who are dedicated weight lifters regard callouses as something of a badge of honor. They are hard-earned. I really don't get men who feel the need to have soft hands, but whatever.

Bottom line, there is nothing "wrong" with them, and if wearing them means you're in the gym training then it's all good.
Old 05-25-2006, 09:21 PM
'Cooter

Originally Posted by waTSX
Because askmen.com puts it on the web it must be so? Ooookay! Some movements are not practical with free weights. Pray tell how you would do heavy leg extensions with free weights? Any cable movements, lat pulls, leg curls, leg press, hack squats, etc, etc, all involve machines

I use free weights as the basis for all my workouts, but like I said in my post, a well-rounded regimen incorporates both. I was not advocating a machine-only workout. Reading comprehension is your friend.

BTW, your own link states there are drawbacks to both free weights and machines, and this is accurate. There is no perfect way to train with weights. Using both, however, covers all your bases.
1st of all, i am NOT talking about legs at all...my responses are geared towards arm exercises ONLY...second, when yer college roommate is a bodybuilder and a personal trainer, that kinda gives perspective in addition to just what you read...i was merely showing some documented evidence to support my opinion so noone thinks im just talkin outta my arse (guess it doesn't matter at this point) ...third, the drawbacks from using freeweights stem from the fact that yer a dumbass and have shitty form, so as long as you know what yer doing, there are no cons from using freeweights, whereas the cons from using machines are far more evident...if yer recovering from an injury or wanna make sure yer using the proper form, using machines helps, but a personal trainer can do the same thing, if not, more...so in my opinion, machines are more of a waste of time than anything else...if you want to use the machines, by all means go right ahead...it's your workout routine, do what yer confident in doing...it's all good!

o, and i always powder my hands when lifting cuz my palms sweat like CRAZY!!!!! never had a problem

Old 05-25-2006, 11:03 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by PimpCL23
Try using chalk (no not chalkboard chalk, lifting chalk). It'll help keep your hands dry without hurting your grip strength.

If you think that what a girl thinks of your hands determines whether or not you get to sleep with her, you have a lot to learn about women.

1st of all, i am NOT talking about legs at all...my responses are geared towards arm exercises ONLY...second, when yer college roommate is a bodybuilder and a personal trainer, that kinda gives perspective in addition to just what you read...i was merely showing some documented evidence to support my opinion so noone thinks im just talkin outta my arse (guess it doesn't matter at this point) ...third, the drawbacks from using freeweights stem from the fact that yer a dumbass and have shitty form, so as long as you know what yer doing, there are no cons from using freeweights, whereas the cons from using machines are far more evident...if yer recovering from an injury or wanna make sure yer using the proper form, using machines helps, but a personal trainer can do the same thing, if not, more...so in my opinion, machines are more of a waste of time than anything else...if you want to use the machines, by all means go right ahead...it's your workout routine, do what yer confident in doing...it's all good!

o, and i always powder my hands when lifting cuz my palms sweat like CRAZY!!!!! never had a problem

When in doubt, stick with freeweights. If you really know what you're doing machines are good for isolation. I haven't touched a machine in probably a year.
Old 05-30-2006, 08:58 AM
contrarian in fashion

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts
If you think that what a girl thinks of your hands determines whether or not you get to sleep with her, you have a lot to learn about women.
not saying that.... if i get callouses on my hand.. well then i get em, if i dont then i dont... i personally dont like em cause it kinda looks like someone implanted some rocks in my palms... rite now i have some but they arent full blown callouses thanks to the gloves i use. they are at the point where it just makes my hands feel tough (not nasty)
Old 06-20-2006, 02:52 PM
Username fr High School!

Thumbs up

get the yellow dishwashing ones to save money.. you can get them at the 99 cent store