Health & Fitness You're fat. Get skinny…

Eating 5-6 times a day

Old 03-21-2006, 03:54 PM
GÜNnµ ¡Ï

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Eating 5-6 times a day

I started to eat better, and I read and heard that its good to have a small snack in between to keep your metabolism going. But my questions is..

If I am drinking LOTS of water, I dont feel hungy enough to eat those snacks. Should I still eat them, I am just full of water?
Old 03-21-2006, 03:57 PM
Go Giants

Received 1,236 Likes on 825 Posts
Don't eat if you are not hungry. Figure out how many calories per day you want and divide it by 4-5.
Old 03-21-2006, 04:16 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Whiskers
Don't eat if you are not hungry. Figure out how many calories per day you want and divide it by 4-5.
Old 03-21-2006, 08:52 PM
GÜNnµ ¡Ï

Well right now I am doing this Cereal diet thing.. you know, substitute 2 meals for bowl of cereal.

so what i do is, eat breakfast cereal, lunch normal food meal, normally meat with salad, then dinner cereal again. So I am guessing its around 1300 calories a day. Cereal only has about 250 calories..
Old 03-21-2006, 10:24 PM
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Abreece, you put any validity into the eat before you get hungry theory?
Old 03-21-2006, 11:24 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by GIBSON6594
Abreece, you put any validity into the eat before you get hungry theory?
For weight loss? It might do something, but what matters is still what you take in over a long period of time. Worry about getting your basic calorie and macronutrient intake nailed down, then you can tweak when you eat if you so desire.

When I cut weight I become pretty mechanical about when I eat. That helps me ignore hunger. If I'm not hungry I sure as hell won't eat, i/ll save the calories until i want some.

When I'm bulking, If i'm hungry I'm doing something wrong, so I stuff my face

Originally Posted by GunnmeTaLCURA04
Well right now I am doing this Cereal diet thing.. you know, substitute 2 meals for bowl of cereal.

so what i do is, eat breakfast cereal, lunch normal food meal, normally meat with salad, then dinner cereal again. So I am guessing its around 1300 calories a day. Cereal only has about 250 calories..
Don't guess. Measure out the cereal you eat and figure it out.
Old 03-22-2006, 12:13 PM
My Garage

Originally Posted by ABreece
For weight loss? It might do something, but what matters is still what you take in over a long period of time. Worry about getting your basic calorie and macronutrient intake nailed down, then you can tweak when you eat if you so desire.

When I cut weight I become pretty mechanical about when I eat. That helps me ignore hunger. If I'm not hungry I sure as hell won't eat, i/ll save the calories until i want some.

When I'm bulking, If i'm hungry I'm doing something wrong, so I stuff my face

Don't guess. Measure out the cereal you eat and figure it out.
I see

i had once read that hunger and thirst are your bodies final method of telling you to eat or drink and you should not let your body get to that point. It said you should eat on schedules that have you eating before you actually get hungry. I forget the source, but I always wonder how true it was.
Old 03-22-2006, 12:47 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by GIBSON6594
I see

i had once read that hunger and thirst are your bodies final method of telling you to eat or drink and you should not let your body get to that point. It said you should eat on schedules that have you eating before you actually get hungry. I forget the source, but I always wonder how true it was.
You can try it if you want but i seriously doubt it would make any noticable difference for you. That sounds like another diet myth perpetuated by "fitness magazines."
Old 03-22-2006, 01:31 PM
registered pw

Received 354 Likes on 252 Posts
many smaller meals does work for me. but i have an extremely high metabolism.

i typically will eat 2 bowls of cereal in the morn. one when i wake up and then one about 2 hours later. then i have a snack, then lunch, prob an afternoon snack, dinner and then a bowl of ice cream at the end of the night. i will typically eat 6-7 times a day. i really don't know how many calories i take in
Old 03-22-2006, 09:23 PM
My Garage

Originally Posted by ABreece
You can try it if you want but i seriously doubt it would make any noticable difference for you. That sounds like another diet myth perpetuated by "fitness magazines."
I don't think i will be trying it, I enjoy being hungry...it makes eating that much better
Old 03-26-2006, 01:08 AM
Flap.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
im just starting a cut and am trying to eat 6 meals a day with a very specific macronutrient breakdown and ive found myself eating more than normal but with less calories, im almost never very hungry with meals every 3 hours and my workouts have been great.

im also drinking a ton of water, over a gallon a day, in addition to what water is in my shakes.

maintaining a positive nitrogen balance is imperitive to muscle gain and fat loss from what i have read, dont starve yourself, eat good foods and do some cardio and you will see results, if not you can decrease calories from there

Last edited by Hobo; 03-26-2006 at 01:11 AM.
Old 03-26-2006, 10:05 AM
Race Director

Im a fan of eating 5-6 times, but i try not to view eating based on hunger, but based on pre-post workout, and by time, and nutrients above all else.

My metabolism is super fast, but its accredited to not only the eating, but also to me being extremely active, and my age.
Old 03-30-2006, 01:52 PM
Burning Brakes

My Dr. recommended this to me years ago because in between my 3 squares a day, I was getting weak and tired and rundown and shaky due to low sugar. My sugar problem wasn't enough to require treatment, but by eating smaller, more frequent meals, I avoided the whole problem. From a diet standpoint, if you wait until you're hungry to eat, you have a tendency to overeat. If you eat the same caloric/fat/sugar/carb intake as you would over a course of a day, except separate it out into 5 meals rather than 3, what's the harm?
Old 03-30-2006, 03:57 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by t_in_maine
My Dr. recommended this to me years ago because in between my 3 squares a day, I was getting weak and tired and rundown and shaky due to low sugar. My sugar problem wasn't enough to require treatment, but by eating smaller, more frequent meals, I avoided the whole problem. From a diet standpoint, if you wait until you're hungry to eat, you have a tendency to overeat. If you eat the same caloric/fat/sugar/carb intake as you would over a course of a day, except separate it out into 5 meals rather than 3, what's the harm?
isnt it better to eat 5 or 6 smaller meals then 3 larger meals. i thought by eating more frequently you keep your metabolism higher because when you feel hungry your body slows down your metabolism because it thinks you aren't going to provide food so it uses what you have stored....
Old 03-30-2006, 09:19 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by RyeCL
isnt it better to eat 5 or 6 smaller meals then 3 larger meals. i thought by eating more frequently you keep your metabolism higher because when you feel hungry your body slows down your metabolism because it thinks you aren't going to provide food so it uses what you have stored....
The effects of when you eat are totally overblown. Your metabolism is going to drop in cases of extreme starvation, that will take a lot longer than a few days to happen.

Get your food in whatever way works best for you.