Health & Fitness You're fat. Get skinny…

Calves again, how to work the "other side"

Old 03-12-2006, 10:47 PM
Registered Abuser of VTEC

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
Calves again, how to work the "other side"

So I'm starting to succeed at gaining mass in my calves, but now the problem is how to get that "double" look that bodybuilders have. I know the calves are made up of two muscles, the gastrocnemius (sp?) and the soleus.

The problem comes in that I'm not sure how to work them separately and I'm not sure how to make the "outside" of the calf bigger. This is what I have so far:

I want to make the outside edge bigger and to come down lower to match the inside part. And which muscle is which? I have no idea how to hit it well though. Any advice is appreciated.
Old 03-13-2006, 12:01 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The shape of your calf muscle is largely genetic. Most people's look like yours. Gray's Anatomy (not the tv show, you douches) seems to show that the two muscles that make up the calf are sitting on top of each other, not side by side. Other stuff I've read seems to agree with that.

That said, try doing calf raises with your toes pointed in or out, both standing and seated. You might find something you like. Most people recommend a mixture of both standing and seated as each one focuses more on a specific muscle in the calf.
Old 03-13-2006, 09:15 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ABreece

That said, try doing calf raises with your toes pointed in or out, both standing and seated. You might find something you like. Most people recommend a mixture of both standing and seated as each one focuses more on a specific muscle in the calf.

Toes out will work the inner part of the calf, toes in will work the outer part.
Old 03-14-2006, 02:36 AM

Originally Posted by danny25

Toes out will work the inner part of the calf, toes in will work the outer part.
This is what I needed to know! Thanks Danny. So toes in it is for me.
Old 03-14-2006, 02:37 AM

Originally Posted by ABreece
The shape of your calf muscle is largely genetic. Most people's look like yours. Gray's Anatomy (not the tv show, you douches) seems to show that the two muscles that make up the calf are sitting on top of each other, not side by side. Other stuff I've read seems to agree with that.

So I could bulk them up, but there's not that much I could do about the shape? Damn that's kind of a tough break.
Old 03-14-2006, 08:39 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by youngTL
So I could bulk them up, but there's not that much I could do about the shape? Damn that's kind of a tough break.
Keep in mind I am not an anatomy major, what i know regarding this is limited to google search and my generic knowledge about the body. The shape that your muscles take when they get bigger is almost completely based on genetics.

You can try rotating your feet to hit different areas. As I said this may or may not help, i don't know enough about the calves to say definitively.