Health & Fitness You're fat. Get skinny…

Benign viral infection at most...

Old 07-15-2008, 06:14 PM
Team Owner

Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts
Angry Benign viral infection at most...

...but it is still annoying as hell.

I think I may have somehow contracted molluscum contagiousum on part of my man purse. For those who don't know what it is, it's little raised papules that sort of look like pimples or small warts do to some strain of a virus.

It can be contracted from sexual contact, but doesn't have to be. I have never had sexual contact with anybody so I know it isn't that, but It's just really annoying. For a while I was kind of worried it was something significantly worse.

There is always a chance that they are sebaceous cysts or glands. Idk. That infection I think is the worst it can be, and it's benign so I don't really have to worry about it too much. I'm debating whether I should go have a dermatologist check it out though. The thought of a doctor messin around down there with all kinds of instruments/tools is extremely discomforting. lol I'm still trying to decide. They can be removed if it is in fact the infection but idk. That just creeps me out.

This sucks.
Old 07-15-2008, 08:21 PM

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts
Did you just do a google search to figure out what you (think you) have? I wouldn't know anything about what you're talking about, but if you truly are concerned, you should definitely visit a doctor for proper diagnosis and treatment (if it requires some).

And btw, wayyy TMI.
Old 07-15-2008, 08:57 PM
has Gloryhole Girls in

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
make your girl bite the white
Old 07-15-2008, 08:58 PM
has Gloryhole Girls in

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
oh wait your a virgin....ask your mom
Old 07-15-2008, 09:10 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,106 Likes on 764 Posts
Originally Posted by TS_eXpeed
...it's little raised papules that sort of look like pimples or small warts do to some strain of a virus.
Are you sure the bumps are new, and that they are not actually the follicles where your pubic hairs are embedded and will be growing if they have not grown out already?
When in doubt, see a doc or campus health center. G/L...
Old 07-16-2008, 02:01 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Will Y.
Are you sure the bumps are new, and that they are not actually the follicles where your pubic hairs are embedded and will be growing if they have not grown out already?
When in doubt, see a doc or campus health center. G/L...

No, they have definitely grown out. My wonder though, is whether or not it is actually just the sebaceous glands or a cysts in the sebaceous glads (which would be the least of the two), or it is actually this benign virus. Either way, it's nothing really to be concerned about. Unless of course it is something else (which I don't think it is).

The only thing bothersome is of course the "cosmetic" side of it. And if it is a bunch of little cases of this benign virus and I don't do anything about it, it's possible for me to pass it on later...like an STD except with only cosmetic effects.
Old 07-16-2008, 10:56 AM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
go see a doctor for sure
Old 07-16-2008, 11:04 AM
Go Giants

Received 1,232 Likes on 822 Posts
This thread is worthless without pi......Oh wait...

Go to a dr man....
Old 07-17-2008, 06:22 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 113 Likes on 78 Posts
If you suspect it's molluscum get it checked out. It's a viral infection and can spread although there are cases where it resolves spontaneously. FWIW I've treated 10 year old patients with it in the groin so it's not always sexually transmitted. Other possibilities are folliculitis (infection of hair follicle), Fordyce spots (enlarged glands), or PPP (pearly penile papules which look like warts but are not infectious usually occuring along the coronal sulcus). Treatment doesn't have to be painful although treatment of choice would include cryosurgery(liquid nitrogen) or electrosurgery (unipolar electrical current through hyfercator tip) if you can handle the pain. OTW, topical cantharadin or even topical medications like imiquimod could help. PM me if you have more specific questions.
Old 07-17-2008, 07:15 PM
Team Owner

Thanks Rick!
Old 07-17-2008, 07:22 PM
Suzuka Master

No worries. Hit me up if you have questions. It's super common and you shouldn't feel bad having contracted it. You might have shaken someone's hand with the virus and then scratched yourself eh?

BTW, I have 2 patients (both teenage male athletes) and each has over 100 molluscum over chest, stomach and back. Trust me dude, someone's always got it worse.
Old 07-17-2008, 07:59 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by surfer rick
No worries. Hit me up if you have questions. It's super common and you shouldn't feel bad having contracted it. You might have shaken someone's hand with the virus and then scratched yourself eh?

BTW, I have 2 patients (both teenage male athletes) and each has over 100 molluscum over chest, stomach and back. Trust me dude, someone's always got it worse.

I guess somebody does always have it worse

Btw, I just a few months ago finished up my Accutane treatment, and I saw one of those hyfracator things you were talking about....

....the thought of that going down there scares the living (*#%)#)@ out of me. Lol. If it does happen to be this molluscum thing, is it possible to spread to others areas or does it usually find a spot and hibernate (chest for those dudes, the sac for me...)???

Just curious. Reason being if it doesn't I may just live with it...then again, I wouldn't want to spread it once I got married. I want to do something about it, but the thought of someone cutting away down there creeps me the hell out. It's not that I doubt the credentials and experience of a dermatologist (that's who I would go to correct???) but it just really creeps me out to think that sharp/electric probes/knives would be getting near my stuff. Lol
Old 07-17-2008, 08:26 PM
Suzuka Master

I feel your pain brotha! I had a small cyst on my chest that I hyfercated and that hurt like a mofo! I'd say if you only had a few lesions, you can apply topical lidocaine (4% cream) which will provide some topical anesthesia, especially the scrotum because the skin is thin and thus the anesthetic will absorb readily. Apply 1-2 hrs preop. Have your derm set the hyfercator on a low setting, i.e. 2-3. Or, have your derm apply cantharadin (synthetic extract from blister beetle). This doesn't hurt at all during application but will produce inflammation and perhaps a small blister within 24-48 hours. The idea behind these measures is to destroy the molluscum DNA virus which infects keratinocytes (skin cells of the epidermis). Or you can go with liquid nitrogen which is less painful than electrosurgery but has a poorer cosmetic outcome (if you worry about your chickie seeing blemishes on your balls).

If you want to avoid any surgery at all than apply topical meds. These meds will lead to inflammation (redness, peeling, swelling, itch) on occasion and must be used for protracted periods (12 wks give or take).

I'd say about 50% of molluscum resolve spontaneously within 1 year. Of course, by the time patients come to me they obviously want something done. If you're not sexually active you can let it ride but if your numbers double I'd get that checked stat.

One of my best friends fagged out about coming to see me and he applied silver nitrate and got rid of all his molluscum. He acquired this from tagging a Korean massage parlor girl btw, even tho he was strapped with a raincoat. Condoms don't protect your balls eh?
Old 07-17-2008, 08:29 PM
Suzuka Master

How was your outcome with accutane? That f-in ipledge program is FTMFL! Female patients have it the worst, I've put 12 year old girls on oral contraception to get them okayed for ipledge. Having to go online and answer those stupid questions every month is a PITA, male patients definitely have it easier. How was your dry lips and eyes? I saw a teenage accutane patient this afternoon and his lips were seriously peeling off. He was down with doubling his dosage from 40 to 80 mg tho, f-in trooper!
Old 07-17-2008, 08:41 PM
Team Owner

How was your outcome with accutane? That f-in ipledge program is FTMFL! Female patients have it the worst, I've put 12 year old girls on oral contraception to get them okayed for ipledge. Having to go online and answer those stupid questions every month is a PITA, male patients definitely have it easier. How was your dry lips and eyes? I saw a teenage accutane patient this afternoon and his lips were seriously peeling off. He was down with doubling his dosage from 40 to 80 mg tho, f-in trooper!
Accutane was a bitch. Lol. I'm glad I did it though. My acne wasn't extremely severe, but it was bad enough that things like minocycline, benzocline, and tazorac all at once didn't help much. To be honest, my lips didn't even become dry until about a month and a half into the treament. I was on 80mg every month except for the first month which was 40mg. (that could maybe explain the dryness). Once the lips did dry out though....omg. Sometimes I wanted to shoot myself. My dermatologist was really nice and gave me a bunch of sample tubes the last two months (it would get mildly worse every month of treatment, so the last couple were pretty bad) of treatment of this stuff called Protopic.

OMG! That stuff was a miracle worker. I would make my lips fairly red every now and then, but that stuff helped sooooo much. He ended up giving me a bunch of little sample tubes because that stuff was expensive and it wasn't covered under insurance!!! I remember checking and it was like $80 or $90 for a relatively small amount.

Agreed on iPledge too. It was a B!TCH!!! Even though I was a guy, the pharmacy couldn't process my prescription if I forgot the card even though I had been there before. It was such a hassle. I realize what they are trying to prevent, but come on. Should they even make guys go through iPledge??? I don't think so. Aren't girls supposed to be on TWO forms of birth control?

As far as the outcome goes though, it really is amazing. My treatment was going to be 5 months, but he extended it one more just to make sure my acne 'turned the corner' because after the 4th or 5th month, I still had more than I should have I guess you could say.

All in all....accutane was a BITCH but in the end I'm so glad I did it. Every now and then one will pop up...I didn't expect to never have a pimple, but I maybe only get one or two noticeable pimples every month now.

EDIT: What good for blackheads. I still get/have a lot of black heads in the side of cheeks and on my nose. I know that's not what accutane treats, so I'm not blaming that...just wondering though. Do I have to get an esthetician to remove them?

EDIT EDIT: I never had dry eyes with accutane...just dry lips and parts of my face and neck

Last edited by TS_eXpeed; 07-17-2008 at 08:45 PM.
Old 07-17-2008, 08:44 PM

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts
Dude, just go to the doctor.
Old 07-17-2008, 08:46 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Street Spirit
Dude, just go to the doctor.

It's not the going to the doctor part that bothers me, it's the having extremely hot/sharp/electric tools going near my business that creeps me out.
Old 07-17-2008, 08:51 PM
Suzuka Master

^^

Coolness bro Accutane is the only prescription med which offers the potential cure of acne and targets 3 etiologic factors involved in acne 1. P. acnes bacteria 2. abnormal keratinization leading to microcomedone formation 3. elevated sebum in skin. Yeah, females gotta be on 2 forms of birth control but condom counts as 1 so oral contraception is the other.

Tazorac works super good for comedones (blackheads/whiteheads) if your skin can take it. Are you using cream or gel, 0.05 or 0.1%?

I use same protocol as your derm. Start out at 40 mg daily for month 1 so pt gets used to side effects and a lot of times there's a purging phenomenon where acne gets worse before better. Then 2nd month ramp it up to 60 or 80 mg per day (try to get 1 mg/kg of body weight). I notice lately I've also been extending treatment course out to 6 months rather than traditional 5.
Old 07-17-2008, 08:55 PM
Team Owner

I just pulled out my tube of tazorac from my cabinet that has been sitting there for probably about two or three years now. lol

It's the gel...the one in the blue tube?? It's the 0.1% concentration.

If I starting using this again with what I have left (almost the whole tube, , it wasn't too long after I got it that we switched dermatologist and started accutane, so I stopped the tazorac ) , would that help with the blackheads??

EDIT: If I remember correctly, I shouldn't use everyday right?
Old 07-17-2008, 09:21 PM
Suzuka Master

Damn 0.1% taz gel, you have iron skin homes! First make sure the tube is not expired, if it is you need a refill. Second, it's ideal to use it daily. If you can't tolerate that concentration daily ask for 0.05% gel or 0.1% cream which are weaker. I like the gel because my skin is oily although lately i've been using atralin (tretinoin 0.05% and fish collagen FTW!). Had a couple pimples lately so i'm going back to taz 0.05 gel since it's stronger although it makes my skin itchy after i apply it (can't set a bad example for my patients lawl!).

If you have inflammatory lesions (papules, pustules, or cysts) you may need a product containing benzoyl peroxide and/or clindamycin such as benzaclin or duac. Without seeing your skin in person, I don't want to go overboard on treatment recommendations but obviously you're an educated, intelligent patient so good luck and keep me posted.
Old 07-17-2008, 09:25 PM
Team Owner

Taz gel good till October
Old 07-17-2008, 10:17 PM
I drive a Subata.

surfer rick, are you a doctor?

If you are I have some questions...
Old 07-17-2008, 10:58 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by JS + TL
surfer rick, are you a doctor?

If you are I have some questions...
Yo hit me up with a pm anytime. I also posted on your career, move to NYC thread too
Old 07-18-2008, 01:20 AM
I drive a Subata.

Yo hit me up with a pm anytime. I also posted on your career, move to NYC thread too
Yeah, I remember your posts on my other thread. Very intelligent suggestions and all Thank you.

PM sent.