Health & Fitness You're fat. Get skinny…

Batting Cages FTW...

Old 10-02-2007, 11:47 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Batting Cages FTW...

I don't anticipate this winning any thread of the year awards, but I figured I'd let you guys know that to my (lax) workout regime, I've added semi-regular batting cage visits & I'm feeling it from head to toe.

It's quite a bit more of a workout than I anticipated (I just wanted to go b/c it sounded fun) and everything from my calves to my abs & side-stomach muscle things (not a health/fitness guru), pecs, entire arms, and even my neck is feeling it. The absolute best part - it's a blast. I went and hit nothing but slow-pitch softballs tonight for an hour and a half solid - no breaks - and I had a great time doing it even though it was 3x as long as I normally go.

The YMCA about 300 yards from our apartment has the batting cages, so I can use them as part of our membership, as well as indoor & outdoor pools, rock-climbing, and even a health restaurant open for all 3 meals! Honestly, I could work out for a few hours a day if I had the time b/c I've found a place that facilitates FUN workouts instead of the regular monotonous, put-you-to-sleep weightlifting & treadmills.

What we need is a thread dedicated to nothing but fun things to do that also give good workouts. off to search...
Old 10-03-2007, 08:11 AM
nnInn

Received 1,084 Likes on 646 Posts
I was searching to find where one was around me last week. After hitting a little for my son's baseball team a want to go HIT the ball. Can't do that with 6 yr olds.
Old 10-03-2007, 08:26 AM
Banned

I'm ridiculously sore this morning, btw..
Old 10-03-2007, 09:19 AM
Team Owner

Received 3,864 Likes on 2,031 Posts
Batting cages would be a fast track to tendinitis for me.

My fun workout is cycling. In the summer, I can get out and sweat in the sun with a breeze to cool me because I'm moving. I've pretty much become the fastest biker on my local paths (no one has passed me this year) so I entertain/push myself by overtaking anyone that I see. My local path is a 6 mile loop.

In the winter it gets tough because I'm stuck biking in place in the basement and lifting weights, but the last thing I want to do is completely lose my fitness base during the cold months.
Old 10-13-2007, 11:57 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,307 Likes on 960 Posts
Boxing cardio class is great instead of treadmill for me. You shave off weight and it's fun too.

Honestly something new seems to give you a disgusting soreness. You should always switch up your workouts to keep your body guessing. I felt that this week when for back I did a bunch of workouts using my own weight as resistance (like pullups) as opposed to lat pulls. I have a strong back but it was sore for longer than usual.
Old 10-19-2007, 04:56 AM
Suzuka Master

racquetball ftw.
Old 10-21-2007, 03:47 AM
WDP Is Faster

I love batting cages! Too bad it's so expensive. I don't know how much it is for you guys..but over here in the bay, it's like $2-3 for 18 pitches. There's only one place I know that is $1 for 18 pitches....but its so far away from me.
Old 10-23-2007, 09:40 AM
failhard.

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I'm personally looking for a DDR arcade machine to hit up regularly .. Probably has almost the same effect as a batting cage, soreness all over ..