Health & Fitness You're fat. Get skinny…

Barbell squats vs. Dumbbell squats?

Old 08-29-2006, 08:20 PM
That's Racist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Barbell squats vs. Dumbbell squats?

I know the answer is benefits of barbell squats > dumbbell squats.

I was just wondering if anyone could explain the reasoning behind it. I've tried both, and for some reason prefer the dumbbells

Also, is there a differnece in benefits between front and rear barbell squats?
Old 08-29-2006, 11:26 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Time For Sleeep
I know the answer is benefits of barbell squats > dumbbell squats.

I was just wondering if anyone could explain the reasoning behind it. I've tried both, and for some reason prefer the dumbbells

Also, is there a differnece in benefits between front and rear barbell squats?
Yes I can explain it and yes there is a difference between front and back squats.

ALL free weight exercises are better with barbells if your ultimate goal is ultimate overload and/or ultimate muscle growth and strength.

The reason behind it is that barbells will help you lift more weight than dumbells because of many reasons. The main reason is balance. If you can balance the weight you are lifting better, you will lift more total weight. Another reason is, any differences in strength in left or right limbs is not as much of a factor with a bar.

Front squats put a lot more strain on your legs than your back. Also because it's harder to balance with front squats they are less of an overload exercise than back squats are.
Old 08-29-2006, 11:56 PM
That's Racist

Originally Posted by gavriil
Yes I can explain it and yes there is a difference between front and back squats.

ALL free weight exercises are better with barbells if your ultimate goal is ultimate overload and/or ultimate muscle growth and strength.

The reason behind it is that barbells will help you lift more weight than dumbells because of many reasons. The main reason is balance. If you can balance the weight you are lifting better, you will lift more total weight. Another reason is, any differences in strength in left or right limbs is not as much of a factor with a bar.

Front squats put a lot more strain on your legs than your back. Also because it's harder to balance with front squats they are less of an overload exercise than back squats are.
Definitely some good info gav. Would you say it is beneficial to do both front and rear squats on a leg day? I'm thinking about switching out leg press for hack squats (@least I think that's what the fronts are called)
Old 08-30-2006, 01:56 PM
Moderator Alumnus

I think doing both front and back squats the same day is probably overkill. If you want to do them, do them after back squats and only 2-3 sets of which 2 of 3 would be acclimation sets.
Old 09-02-2006, 01:09 PM
That's Racist

Originally Posted by gavriil

Hey Gav,

Is it safe to say that in this way, the dumb-bells (granted that my weight limit is the same for both dumb-bell and barbell) are better for training stabilizer muscles that otherwise wouldn't get affected as much by barbell squats?

(like bench press vs. dumb-bell press benefits?)
Old 09-02-2006, 10:57 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by Time For Sleeep
Hey Gav,

Is it safe to say that in this way, the dumb-bells (granted that my weight limit is the same for both dumb-bell and barbell) are better for training stabilizer muscles that otherwise wouldn't get affected as much by barbell squats?

(like bench press vs. dumb-bell press benefits?)

Acutally the opposite. Stabilizer muscles will get more overloaded with the bar due to less balance issues. Dumbells are always more of an isolation exercise than the bar.