Health & Fitness You're fat. Get skinny…

afraid of getting too big?

Old 05-07-2005, 09:40 AM
TLD
Mixed Martial Artist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
afraid of getting too big?

As a former personal trainer, I've heard this statement way too many times, "I don't want to get too big". The truth is, it's just not easy to get too big because if it were, steroids wouldn't be very popular. Getting "big", according to new weightlifters, means they don't want to get overly muscular, but they just don't realize that they can't get that big overnight. I tell these newbies that if they were genetically blessed and gained muscle that easily, they shouldn't worry, they should be ecstatic. I tell them that added muscle will help them burn more calories and lose bodyfat, but they insist that too much muscle is a bad thing. If by some remote chance, someone were truly genetically blessed and gained muscle very quickly, all they'd have to do is stop working out and their muscles would atrophy in a very short time. Muscle doesn't have nearly the staying power that fat has so don't ever worry about getting "big" musclewise, worry about getting big with bodyfat.
Old 05-07-2005, 05:03 PM
I keeps it real

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TLD
As a former personal trainer, I've heard this statement way too many times, "I don't want to get too big". The truth is, it's just not easy to get too big because if it were, steroids wouldn't be very popular. Getting "big", according to new weightlifters, means they don't want to get overly muscular, but they just don't realize that they can't get that big overnight. I tell these newbies that if they were genetically blessed and gained muscle that easily, they shouldn't worry, they should be ecstatic. I tell them that added muscle will help them burn more calories and lose bodyfat, but they insist that too much muscle is a bad thing. If by some remote chance, someone were truly genetically blessed and gained muscle very quickly, all they'd have to do is stop working out and their muscles would atrophy in a very short time. Muscle doesn't have nearly the staying power that fat has so don't ever worry about getting "big" musclewise, worry about getting big with bodyfat.
I it didnt exactly work that way for me. I left for college at 5'10" 192 lbs and started lifting on a strict regimen on day one. I kept with it for the next 4 years with only weekends off and the occasional week off for finals.

I graduated college at 5'10" 235 lbs and solid as a rock. Regretfully, i quit my lifting and cardio program and havent done jack shit physically in the 12 months since graduation. My body has completely fallen apart and I now have the stature of a pro wrestler (husky muscular) vs the lean body I once had.

What bothers me is I'm still 5'10 and about 240lbs. My body hasnt and will not return to the frame I once had. Back then, no matter how fat and lazy i was, my body remained at less than 200 lbs. Now, no matter how fat and lazy I become, i will stay around 240 lbs.

I hate that I permanently changed my body structure and will have to go through life as a lethargic sloth from carrying all this weight around. I wish I could got back to a no maintenance < 200lbs frame.

So in my case, i got too big. I got to a point where the only way to not to turn into a sloth is with continuous maintenance. If I would have known that lifting would turn into a lifetime commitment to keep from becoming a slob, i never would have started.
Old 05-07-2005, 05:08 PM
I spend 2 much time here

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts
i agree that it is very difficult to get too big, I have been lifting for a couple years now and am very dedicated to it. i eat as healthy as i can, workout 4-5 times a week and definately not too big. the only way to get too big muscular wise in a short amount of time is with steroids in my opinion. unless you are a genetic freak, which there are definately people like that. just not many. the top bodybuilders in my opinion are genetic freaks in the first place that then add roids into the mix and just blow up.
Old 05-07-2005, 10:18 PM
Homeless

Originally Posted by GoDucksCLSPride
I hate that I permanently changed my body structure and will have to go through life as a lethargic sloth from carrying all this weight around. I wish I could got back to a no maintenance < 200lbs frame.
It's called 'old age'...after the early 20's, metabolism slows and you must do 'regular maintenance' to stay in OK shape.

Sad, but true. I went through the same thing you did.
Old 05-07-2005, 10:25 PM
EVO IX MR

I wish I had that problem. Been in athletics all my life, track, swimming, soccer etc in High School, didnt really have a clue about nutrition, food, hydration, blah until about 2-3 years ago, never touched a bench press until I was 22(unfortunate). Anyway, I've built a good base in the last 4-5 years (ARMY +lifting), put in some good dues in 2004 stuck in Kuwait for a year,.......but, I've been on this field exercise for like over 3 weeks now, and MRE's are getting really old to eat, I'm about 170 now compared to about 178 in peak size, and I notice the mass isnt there like I want it to be, but. ......I guess I'm not as depressed about shrinking a some, nothing I can do right now, but it's all right there. I just look at it like a car who hasn't been washed or waxed in a while, the nice paint job is underneath, you just need a little time and work to bring it to the surface. A week or 2 back in the gym and I'd have 90% of the mass back, still have 85-90% of the strength w/out the size I want, so I guess that's good...............Muscle is hard to get it, but once you do it comes back a LOT easier. I'm only like 5'6", have a small bone structure, a super fast metabolism, and never hit any heavy weights till early 22 unfortunately, so to from where I came from to be where I am now I can't be mad.. I was 145lbs in 2001 and now around low 170's. I've logged a lot of hours of gym dues in the last 5 years though, no juice, really no supplements, just lots of food (most of the supplements and stuff are rip-offs and garbage anyway) it's paid off, SLOWLY............but..........still wish I could worry abouut getting too big.
Old 05-07-2005, 10:27 PM
EVO IX MR

Originally Posted by GoDucksCLSPride

:
I changed my frame some too, mine is definately a little stockier than it would be if I hadn't been lifting for the last 5 years.
Old 05-08-2005, 01:43 AM
Suzuka Master

I'm one of those rare natural testotrone, crazy genetic freaks. I worked out in 10th grade messing around. Before I knew it 11th grade I was the biggest kid in the school. 12th grade I was the god everyone looked up to, everyone asked me questions, everyone would be like big brad.

I never really meant to get "this" big, after my freshmen year of college i was 220 benching 450 and just massive. Also looked bloated, got sick of that look now im 190 lean and veins everywhere i like it better.