Health & Fitness You're fat. Get skinny…

100% Wheat Bagel + Skippy Natural PB?

Old 05-21-2005, 12:52 AM
styling on you

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
100% Wheat Bagel + Skippy Natural PB?

I heard that eating bagels is bad for you, because of the high GI levels? So I was wondering if I ate 100% Wheat bagels it'll be alright? I usually buy these Sara Lee Wheat Bagels.

Also Skippy just came out (i think) with Natural Peanut Butter that you don't have to mix. Is it as good as the other ones or is it a little worst? Also it taste just like the regular pb which is pretty good.
Old 05-21-2005, 02:23 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ya those bagels are fine its rare to find a real whole wheat bagel. Im impressed actually. The only thing not so great is there is 9g of sugar in each bagel which is kinda high, but not crazy. The ingredients are solid though...

The peanut butter looks good, I usually use the Smuckers that you mix...This looks very appealing though I'm going to try it out. What are the ingredients?

It should just say:

Peanuts, Salt

Heres a thread on the new peanut butter you bought:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...Skippy+Natural

Last edited by r3mix3r; 05-21-2005 at 02:27 AM.
Old 05-21-2005, 09:06 AM
Go Noles!

what do you mean, "natural peanut butter"? what is the difference? and who really cares? if you're that worried about peanut butter, you shouldn't be eating it in the first place.

and bagels are fine as long as you aren't going to Einstein's and getting their 500 cal bagels. most of the ones you find in the store are smaller and have less calories anyway. and whole wheat is good - lots of fiber.
Old 05-21-2005, 09:30 AM
Not Asian

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think "natural pb" doesn't have added sugar or salt. Can't remember.
Old 05-21-2005, 04:27 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by supermegaglossy
what do you mean, "natural peanut butter"? what is the difference? and who really cares? if you're that worried about peanut butter, you shouldn't be eating it in the first place.

and bagels are fine as long as you aren't going to Einstein's and getting their 500 cal bagels. most of the ones you find in the store are smaller and have less calories anyway. and whole wheat is good - lots of fiber.
Natural Peanut Butter is exactly what it says, just basically ground up peanuts and salt. It doesn't have the BAD fat in it. Natural PB is actualyl healthy, as opposed to Skippy, or Resses PB!!
Old 05-21-2005, 04:35 PM
Yeehaw

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
and who really cares?
obviously he does

if you're that worried about peanut butter, you shouldn't be eating it in the first place.

why should the desire to eat a healthy version of a food mean you shouldn't eat it at all?
Old 05-22-2005, 09:04 AM
Race Director

just becuase something has alot of fat in it, does not mean its bad. natural penutbutter is mostly unsaturated fats, EFA"s are very important in achieving a healthy body, and can actually promote fat loss as well as testerorne increases. Everything must be dealt with moderation...and as for the bagels,

i would throw some protein in the meal, the bagel+PB is mainly a carb/fat meal , and penutbutter is an incomplete protein, you need something to complete, som eggwhites, tuna fish...chicken, im assuming its bfast food, so maybe just a glass of milk...
Old 05-22-2005, 03:14 PM
styling on you

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RMATIC09
just becuase something has alot of fat in it, does not mean its bad. natural penutbutter is mostly unsaturated fats, EFA"s are very important in achieving a healthy body, and can actually promote fat loss as well as testerorne increases. Everything must be dealt with moderation...and as for the bagels,

i would throw some protein in the meal, the bagel+PB is mainly a carb/fat meal , and penutbutter is an incomplete protein, you need something to complete, som eggwhites, tuna fish...chicken, im assuming its bfast food, so maybe just a glass of milk...
yup its my breakfast food, and today I just went out and bought a carton of egg whites. They didn't have any more wheat bagels so I settled for some Sporuted Grain Ezekiel bread.
Old 05-23-2005, 02:15 PM
Suzuka Master

Think of bagels as eating 4 slices of bread... they are pretty dense. I doubt you need all those carbs at once.
Old 05-23-2005, 02:29 PM
GLOBO Gym Spokesman

Originally Posted by phipark
I think "natural pb" doesn't have added sugar or salt. Can't remember.
natural pb is just peanuts and salt...your average run of the mill pb has partially hydrogenated oil (trans fatty acids..bad) mixed in to give it that consistency and to keep the oil from seperating from the rest...if you've ever seen adams pb...thats what natural looks like
Old 05-23-2005, 02:31 PM
GLOBO Gym Spokesman

Originally Posted by SeCsTaC
yup its my breakfast food, and today I just went out and bought a carton of egg whites. They didn't have any more wheat bagels so I settled for some Sporuted Grain Ezekiel bread.
try pb and honey on a toasted wheatberry english muffin...little better than bread and less dense than a bagel...scramble a couple egg whites with one whole egg...down a bananna, apple, or cantelope and call it breakfast
Old 05-23-2005, 02:35 PM
Banned

My mom used to work at GNC a long ass time ago and they had the natural PB machine and would smash those peanuts up into a nice PB. That is what I think of when it comes to natural PB. I love PB but admit I eat the "bad" stuff more often.
Old 05-24-2005, 09:49 PM
Flap.

Originally Posted by rise
Think of bagels as eating 4 slices of bread... they are pretty dense. I doubt you need all those carbs at once.

not true.

before and after workouts high GI index foods (like bagels) are great. If you are on a low car diet they will help prevent ketosis, and eating before workouts gives you the energy to complete your workout. Eating a high GI food post-workout, I've been told by a biologist, is good. I take my creatine supplement with grape juice (high GI) which supposedly helps creatine uptake by rushing it to the muscles.
Old 05-25-2005, 11:04 AM
Banned

I am not sure that eating a high GI carb in the meal before a workout is necessary. The 3-4 meals before a workout should be more than sufficient to build up glycogen reserves in muscle. The post-workout meal should definitely have high GI carbs.
Old 05-28-2005, 07:32 PM
Flap.

Originally Posted by Adam_Schwartz
I am not sure that eating a high GI carb in the meal before a workout is necessary. The 3-4 meals before a workout should be more than sufficient to build up glycogen reserves in muscle. The post-workout meal should definitely have high GI carbs.

you are probably right, when i was in school, it often didnt get a meal in before my first class, so i was struggling to pack food in throughout the day.