Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Valve Cover Paint Chips

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2018, 05:51 PM
Pro

Received 102 Likes on 78 Posts
Valve Cover Paint Chips

Was checking my oil level today and I noticed that my manifold cover paint finish seems to be chipping. Is this normal? Any solutions for touching up that area or should I just leave it as is?

The chips are flaking as you touch the area. Area is actually near the manifold.

Last edited by Kinuto; 08-24-2018 at 06:00 PM.
Old 08-24-2018, 07:38 PM
The inconvenient truth

Received 436 Likes on 322 Posts
Mines chipping a tiny bit as well. Actually the black plate with the acura logo was chipping really badly so last week I removed it and painted it with high temp paint. Looks really nice now. I suppose you could do the same with the silver part.
Old 08-24-2018, 07:41 PM
Pro

Yeah I never knew it was painted until I seen the chips. I had this same problem with my 2007 Honda Civic. I guess Honda uses a cheap paint. Lol Glad I’m not the only one.
Old 08-27-2018, 09:48 AM
Drifting

Received 849 Likes on 605 Posts
My 3.5L had the paint start to bubble and flake like that. I replaced it with a 3.7 IM from a scrapped SH-AWD TL with about 60K miles and have put about 30K on it so far. No bubbling or flaking yet.
Old 08-27-2018, 10:55 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by losiglow
My 3.5L had the paint start to bubble and flake like that. I replaced it with a 3.7 IM from a scrapped SH-AWD TL with about 60K miles and have put about 30K on it so far. No bubbling or flaking yet.
Wow I didn’t know you could put the 3.7 intake manifold on the 3.5. Is it a perfect fit with no extra modifications? I seen one on the endlessrpm site for sale.
Old 08-27-2018, 11:07 AM
Drifting

It's not a direct fit unfortunately. The throttle body and intake tubing from the air filter box are larger. I purchased all three from a scrap yard from the same car for $250.

I wouldn't say there was a significant power increase. It's one of those little by little mods that adds up over time. Sort of like the lightweight crank pulley, aftermarket mufflers, TB coolant bypass, removing the spare tire to free up weight, etc. None of those are going to be very noticeable. But do them all and there's definitely a difference.
Old 08-27-2018, 11:12 AM
Pro

Sounds like you got a race car in the making! Lucky that you found all those parts on that car. Here in CT the junkyards barely have Honda or Acura parts. People really strip them good! When I used to hangout in the Maxima forums I would see all types of small mods like that. Crazy engine swaps like a 1997-1999 Maxima with VQ35DE swap.
Old 08-27-2018, 11:47 AM
Drifting

Well, I didn't find it local. I purchased it from some scrap yard that lists parts on eBay. They were selling the components separately but I got them to give me all three for a discount.

I've done about every bolt-on and the car definitely moves. It's no race car but you've gotta rock what ya got. I was driving Uber this weekend and some hotshot in a Merc CLK430 wanted to show off, heading up a three lane onramp to the freeway. I easily took him, and that was with three people in the car. Granted, looking at the specs, the V8 in that car only pulls 275hp but the torque is significantly higher. Ktuner really helps the torque in the J-series with bolt-ons which is probably the only reason I overtook him. Luckily I was driving 3 guys that were about my age that thought it was pretty sweet. If I were driving a bunch of chicks or old people I definitely wouldn't have pulled a stunt like that.
Old 08-27-2018, 12:41 PM
Pro

Gotta love the highway warriors that think it’s fast and the furious. I bet his face was full of disappointment when you passed him like a bat out of hell. How much HP and Torque are you pushing with the tune and mods?
Old 08-27-2018, 01:09 PM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,915 Likes on 14,457 Posts
Originally Posted by losiglow
Well, I didn't find it local. I purchased it from some scrap yard that lists parts on eBay. They were selling the components separately but I got them to give me all three for a discount.

I've done about every bolt-on and the car definitely moves. It's no race car but you've gotta rock what ya got. I was driving Uber this weekend and some hotshot in a Merc CLK430 wanted to show off, heading up a three lane onramp to the freeway. I easily took him, and that was with three people in the car. Granted, looking at the specs, the V8 in that car only pulls 275hp but the torque is significantly higher. Ktuner really helps the torque in the J-series with bolt-ons which is probably the only reason I overtook him. Luckily I was driving 3 guys that were about my age that thought it was pretty sweet. If I were driving a bunch of chicks or old people I definitely wouldn't have pulled a stunt like that.
before the end of your post, as I read it...I was thinking, I would love to read the review on that ride!!!

i had a bolted and tuned 3G TL that was oodles of fun...
the older I get the less I try and prove myself but the mood still strikes pretty often.
Old 08-27-2018, 01:24 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Kinuto
Gotta love the highway warriors that think it’s fast and the furious. I bet his face was full of disappointment when you passed him like a bat out of hell. How much HP and Torque are you pushing with the tune and mods?
Not sure. I said I'd get a dyno when I was all done with the eTune but I'm too cheap to fork out the $150 or so. I figure it is what it is. Knowing the numbers would be nice but it doesn't change the car. Besides, I really don't think it's crazy high or anything. Stock is 280hp/254lb-ft, which means about 15% less at the wheels. If I had to throw out a ballpark estimate, I'd hope I'm seeing 290hp at the wheels but I have a feeling that might be optimistic. It's probably closer to 280hp at the wheels but the real difference is the power curve. With KTuner and bolt-ons, the oomph down low is vastly improved over stock which helps in all gears whenever you're below 3K RPM. It's certainly better up top as well but it's the lower end is just as much fun.

And I wouldn't say I passed him like a bat out of hell. It was a pretty slow overtake. But by the time we were on the freeway I was about 3-4 car lengths in front. I shut it down at about 85 after which he kept matching me, trying to get me to gun it again. No way I was doing that 11pm on a Saturday night. Cops and highway patrol are everywhere that time of night, looking for DUI's. Not to mention that I had passengers in the car and don't feel I need to prove anything to anyone. It's just a but of fun to show up cars that cost 3X what mine does.

Originally Posted by rockstar143
before the end of your post, as I read it...I was thinking, I would love to read the review on that ride!!!

i had a bolted and tuned 3G TL that was oodles of fun...
the older I get the less I try and prove myself but the mood still strikes pretty often.
Yeah, my 3G 6-speed was a ton of fun, especially once I got new coils. I had a bit too much fun though and ended up wrecking it. I've since learned how to push the boundary of cornering without loosing control, and the expensive lesson that tires are paramount.

Last edited by losiglow; 08-27-2018 at 01:29 PM.
Old 08-27-2018, 01:27 PM
Pro

lol Well 280 is enough for me coming from a 190hp Maxima and a 140hp Civic. This car feels like a rocket when you push it and I love the aggressive acceleration!
Old 08-27-2018, 01:39 PM
Drifting

Yeah, anything more and I'd probably get myself into some trouble. I've already been pulled over 11 times over the last two years driving Uber and Lyft. 8X for speeding, 2X for rolling through stop signs and once for an "aggressive turn" and cutting into the far right lane from a left turn. But apparently cops like Uber drivers or I'm just damn lucky because I've never gotten a ticket.

I did learn that warnings are saved in their system. It seems to be isolated to the city you got the warning in though. In other words, if you got a warning in one city, a cop in another city wouldn't necessarily see the warning you got in the other city.

I was going about 38-ish in a 25 while driving a couple back to their hotel in park city when I got pulled over. She didn't seem to happy when she came back with my license and registration. That's when she informed me that I'd gotten two warnings in the last 6 months. She told me I deserved a ticket and I responded that I totally agreed with her. She then told me that she's going to let me off but that if she catches me again (she was the one who pulled me over on one of those other stops), that she's going to write me up for everything she could find. Needless to say, I've been a good little boy in Park City since then